When Winter Meet Summer

The Mute Queen

 

“What? What do you mean our group name isn’t listed? Please check again!” Heechul nearly hit registration table and snapped toward one of the dance competition organizer. He was sure they had filled the registration form just a month ago.

 

The woman infront of him wasn’t taken a back with his glare and said plainly “I am sorry. Petals Group wasn’t listed at all on here. Your team can’t join pre-elimination round and enter the dancers dorm”

 

Heechul grithed his teeth. He knew there was something fishy here. He leaned closer to her, hands still attached to the table “Look. I guess you have known already about me from the association. If it’s because of me being like me, just let these kids enter the Myeongjeongjeon Hall. I am just their trainer, I can wait outside”

 

“I am sorry. I don’t know what you mean. Can you please move and get aside” the woman said without looking at him and pretending to be busy with papers in front of her.

 

Jiyoen, one of Heechul’s gisaeng couldn’t hold herself anymore “Madam, I am the one who filled the registration form a month ago in front of you. I am sure you wrote our name and stamped it. Beside that, can you please speaking more politely to our teacher?!” They already spent a year in an intensive (hell) training in order to enter this competition fair and square. This kind of discrimination had taken her nerve already.

 

The woman looked at her and shrugged “I don’t remember I ever met you before”

 

“What the..?!!” Jiyeon would have grabbed the woman’s cloth if Heechul’s hands didn’t prevent her “Jiyeon-ah, just let me deal with this” he whispered. But the latter didn’t obey instead glared to the woman in front of her and smiled “I guess you haven’t get laid by your husband, Samonim. I wonder if he is one of my custo—“.

 

Heechul quickly closed with his palm but unfortunately the organizer already heard it and stood up furiously “What did you just say?!!”

 

“Mrs. Yeo, What happen?” A man appeared from the hall.

 

The woman who’s called as Mrs. Yeo bowed at him “Mr.Park. This yeojang1...oops I am sorry” She closed for a moment. Jiyeon and her fellow members glared in full anger because they just heard it clearly. They believed mucician association got involved in this.

 

Mrs. Yeo continued “I mean this group keep insist to enter the hall eventhough they aren’t registered, Sir”

 

“Is that true?” Mr. Park looked at Heechul.

 

Heechul bowed at him politely “We’re sure we had registered a month ago, Sir. We have a stamped receipt as a prove”

 

“It could be fake, Sir” Mrs. Yeo said. Another dancer wanted to pull her hair but again Heechul prevented her.

 

“What’s your group name anyway?”

 

“Our group name is Petals, Sir” Heechul bowed again.

 

The man tried to check the book on his hand. A slight frown drew on his forehead “Oh, Petals from Gyeonggu2

 

Heechul looked up to the man. There’s a slight of a new hope in his eyes “Yes, Sir”

 

“In this book, your group name is registered as a special attendee”

 

Heechul and all his gisaeng looked surprised and dumbfounded “Spe...special attendee?” They couldn’t believe what just they heard. As far as they had known, A special attendee was only given to the famous dancer groups from Hanyang city not from a side area like them. A special attendee for this dance competition got an advantage to perform on the first 20 groups lining from all 100 attendees so the probability to pass the pre-elimination was high.

 

“Sir, please check again. There must be something wrong with the list. It may refer to another group with the same name” Mrs. Yeo doubted with the list. It’s impossible for a small group like that got this special treatment, moreover if they didn’t get the support from musician association. It must be someone higher who could give them that right.

 

This time Hyoyeon spoke up “There is only one gisaeng house in Gyeonggu with name Petals. I can guarantee that”

 

But Mrs. Yeo didn’t give up “Mr. Park, actually the association forbids this person to enter art competition”

 

He looked at her “For what cause?”

 

“Um...” She couldn’t answer. She couldn’t say it’s because Heechul being as a transgender. There's no any written rules about forbidding a transgender to join the competition. It's up to the judge if they didn't like someone to pass the competition round. Beside that, the one who would decide the winner was the King. Actually there's more than just being a transgender and violating Gisaeng Rules that made Association insisted to not let Heechul to enter the palace.

 

“Sir. I can accept if I can’t enter to Myeongjeongjeon hall. I am just their trainer. Please let them in” Heechul bowed again.

 

Mr. Park sighed then closed the book list “Okay then. Please prepare for  pre-elimination round. Your order is number 15. Registration table for a special attendee is overthere” he pointed at another table not so far from them. The vice chief of organizer smiled at them then excused himself.

 

Just after the man left, Heechul didn’t waste his time and guided his dancers to the special attendee registration table except Jiyeon who didn’t forget to stick her tounge toward the administrator woman before she left.

 

Yah Brats, you have to do well. Your performance will determine our gisaeng house future. Understand?” Heechul said to his dancers. All of them shouted “Yes!!” with confidence.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want to watch us, Heenim? We can talk to the commitee to let you enter” Hyoyeon said. Her face turned sad remembering the way Association treated him. Heechul wasn’t a patient type person but for the sake of his gisaengs, he could hold his anger.

 

Heechul rubbed her shoulder “It’s okay. I trust them to you. If you pass the preelimination. I can watch you from spectator seat kekekeke....”.

 

They bid a goodbye to him before entering the gate. Heechul let out a relieved sigh. He didn’t know who included them as a special attendee. Whoever that person, he sent a silent gratitude from his heart.

 

Then a pair of hands closed his eyes from behind “Huh? Who is that?” But he received no answer. He tried to guess “Hmm.... you hands are so soft. So you must be a female”.

 

He took a breath in and his lip curved a smile as he recognized the soothing fragrance which quite familiar to him recently “What are you doing here, Sungmin-shi?”.

 

As the hands from his eyes were loosened, he turned around and faced the female smiling widely toward him.

 

Sungmin gave him a paper written ‘My house is near here’

 

 

“Do you come here alone? Where’s that Sunsun?” Heechul asked while eyes tried to search the said female. Sungmin pointed out to a female who stood leaning to a big wood pillar on the left side. When their eyes met, she sticked her tounge toward Heechul.

 

He snorted then turned his face to Sungmin “She’s still annoying” he said, earning a giggle from her.

 

“Ah, Sungmin-shi. Are you busy? If not, how about going to the forest again? You said you wanted to watch me playing gayageum, right?”

 

Sungmin’s eyes grew bigger. Her hand pointed at the competition hall ‘How about the competition?’

 

Heechul understood with her gesture and smiled at her “It’s just a pre-elimination round. I can’t enter the place, though. But I trust them. If they couldn’t pass it, it means they aren’t qualified as professional dancers”. He’s sure the judge were fair enough because they’re not only from musician association, but also from royal court, ministry of art representative, and art emmisary from China.

 

He offered a hand to Sungmin “So, wanna hang out with me today?”.

 

She took his hand with eyes sparked in excitement. She had been waiting for this moment since a long time.

 

From a far, Sunkyu stared at the two whom started walking hand in hand cheerfully. She's happy seeing her queen like that. But there' were still some worries in her heart as she saw the queen smiled a lot more often whenever she met Heechul. She's afraid because sooner or latter, Heechul might know the real identity of Sungmin.

 

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

 

A bright morning was also spreading it’s graze toward concubine pavilion. It was almost a routine for Lady Seohyun whenever her King was going for a journey far from the palace, she would be sitting toward the sunshine as if the King were smiling to her and never left her. From outside, maybe her eyes were look like busy adoring the sunshine because she missed her husband so much but this time her mind was thinking about someone else.

 

“Hyun Mama” Someone called her from behind. She got startled a bit and quickly turned her head toward the person “Taeyeon, since when you have been standing there?”

 

Courtlady Taeyeon bowed to her majesty “Please forgive me Hyun Mama. I am standing here since 10 minutes ago. I already called three times but seemed like you’re too deep in thought”

 

Seohyun sighed “It’s okay Taeyeon. What is that thing on your hand anyway?” her eyes landed to a box the courtlady just brought.

 

“This is a gift from Captain Yonghwa, Hyun Mama. He said Rosella Tea is good for pregnancy” She said then gave the small box to Lady Seohyun.

 

Seohyun took it then smiled at her “Tell him I’ll drink this well and thank you”

 

“Yes, Hyun Mama. I will leave now” she bowed to her and meant to leave but the other prevented her.

 

“Taeyeon, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure, Hyun Mama. What is it?”

 

“What do you think about King Cho and Queen Min lately?”

 

“What do you mean, Hyun Mama?”

 

Seohyun sighed then looked at courtlady Taeyeon “Please stop calling me ‘Hyun Mama’ while there are only both of us. Just like before when we were just a courtlady. Call me Seohyun”

 

Courtlady Taeyeon smiled to her then shook her head. She knew since Lady Seohyun became a concubine, the latter looked lonely “I can’t call you with just your name, Hyun Mama. But how about Madam? Just like when you were still a special gungnyeo

 

Seohyun smiled to her and nodded “It’s not quite bad though”

 

“What are you worrying about, Madam?”

 

Seohyun’s expression turned sad again “Have you ever heard that love and hate are just divided by a very thin membrane?”

 

Courtlady Taeyeon finally understood what her majesty meant “Are you afraid King Cho will fall in love with Queen Min, Madam? I did often heard and read that term often in some story tales, but for King Cho and Queen Min. Their case is different. He does and will always love you. I am sure. The way he hates her will never turn to be love”

 

Seohyun shook her head “No, Taeyeon. Love and Hate are both a feeling. They are different just like day and night but both have some affection in them. Since that day, he becomes so caring toward Queen Min” She refered to the day when Queen Min became mute. She didn’t sure if the King himself did that unconsciously or not but since that day Kyuhyun visited Queen Min regularly eventhough not often. She knew the King kept monitoring her health.

 

Some tears started to gather on both corners of her eyes “I know it’s not my place to say like this but...but... I feel he’s starting developed a feeling toward her” She then left a bitter chuckle for a moment “This is ridiculous, isn’t it? I am thinking as if I have a right to worry. They’re the real husband and wife after all. I am... I am... just a concubine”

 

Courtlady Taeyeon took a step closer “Madam, you’re just thinking too much. I think he is just feeling guilty toward her. He is probably blaming himself to make her became mute like that. Beside, I also think she gave up her feeling toward King Cho since she crowned you as his concubine”

 

Seohyun glanced back at the sun “I wish you’re right, Taeyeon”. Maybe the knots in her chest became lighter after hearing Taeyeon’s words but it didn’t mean her worries disappeared completely. It’s still clear in her mind Queen Min’s words when she was still a crown princess. It’s just after  the hunting competition3 finished, before they came back to gyeongbok palace. Without Kyuhyun knew, Sungmin secretly approched her, not to apologyze but to threaten her again with her usual cold smile.

 

“Seohyun-shi, I only tell you this once. You’re just like a moon which become swell-headed, thinking you are actually a shining star because of getting so much light from the sun. But you have to realize,  there is always a day when Moon loses it’s light and remains just as a little scratch hanging on a night roof. Maybe your future will make you feel up to the sky high for quite long times.

But you have to remember that in the end .... Lee Sungmin will always win...”

 

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

After a long journey, Kyuhyun rested in a room of Wonju fortress. He couldn’t get a proper sleep since he left Hanyang. His mind kept going around a rare scene he saw when he and his main royal guards stopped by a midway to let their house drank some water.

 

“Who’s that woman?”

 

His mind could picture clearly the sight of Queen Min blushed when her eyes met that woman. She’s very pretty. He admitted that. But he was sure he never heard about her nor met her around Gyeongbok palace. He knew Sungmin never really had friends. A lot of noble’s wives did approach her, but she always distance herself with her fierce aura. She only talked to them if it related about the court and her authority. In his queen’s mind,  there’s no true friend.

 

She never smiled like a common girl like that. She always laughed with a mocking way whenever someone pissed her up and begged for a forgiveness. Never she had laughed freely like that. Never once she smiled as if it could reach her eyes like that. She was always being a cold yet calm woman for him. Like a winter.

 

She did smile widely toward him just once when they held their wedding. But it’s different. It’s a way far different in meaning.

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Flashback

**********

After finished their royal wedding. They were sitting in their bridal room face to face. It’s already a midnight but they still didn’t move to their bed and spend their very royal first night. The male one kept drinking the wedding liquor in front of his new bride.

 

The young bride only stared at him in silent, sometimes she helped to pour the alcohol to her husband’s cup.

 

“I don’t love you, Sungmin”

 

Sungmin calmly said “I know”

 

He stomped his cup to the table “So why did you agree?”

 

Sungmin asked back “So why did you agree to become a crown prince?”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled “Hahaha... You’re right. It could be Yesung hyung to become a King instead. I can’t reject my father decision after all” He then poured the liquor to Sungmin’s cup.

 

Sungmin took a sip of the liquor “Same with me, I can’t reject my family’s decision. Beside...” She put the cup down “I love you.... And you know it is true”

 

“I can’t love you Sungmin. I love someone else”

 

Kyuhyun didn’t get any answer but a wide smile from the female. Her eyes even formed like crescent which pissed him more.

 

“I just rejected you. Why are you smiling like that?” From Kyuhyun’s view, her smile was more like mocking him with his cowardness.

 

It's sounded as gentle as a spring breeze. But as sharp as a silver blade. Sungmin's soothing voice sent chill toward the new King's ears “From now on, I trust myself on you. Let’s be hurt together...Honey...”

 

Kyuhyun chuckled and collapsed to the table, unconcious. He never knew his queen let out her very first tears in front of him after that.

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

End of Flashback

***************

 

He closed his eyes with his forearm. He wanted to know. He really wanted to know what that woman had done to make her smile like that. The smile which made something in his chest storming.

 

He wondered if he saw those kind of smile first hand along times ago, could have everything between them become different?

 

“Kyuhyun!!”

 

Kyuhyun jerked up from his trance. Turned his head toward a man who stood on the entrance. He rubbed his eyes and stood up from his bed then welcomed the man with smile “Yesung Hyung!”

 

His brother came to approach him and gave a warm hug to his dongsaeng “When you arrived here? Geez, I have to scold Jongjin after this because he didn’t send a guard to inform me”

 

Kyuhyun shrugged “I told him to not let you knew until you finished your investigation in Gaiya village. I miss you, Hyung

 

Yesung patted his back and smiled “I miss you too, Silly” he said as he released their hug then led his step brother to sit “I heard about you’re going to have a baby. Congratulation”

 

Kyuhyun nodded at him but the way he smiled toward his brother wasn’t like a smile from an exciting father. That sight luckily didn’t loosen from Yesung's sharp eyes “Hey, what happen?”

 

Kyuhyun shook his head, eyes staring to the empty table as if there was something interesting there “Nothing in particular Hyung. It’s just... hard these days... very...”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

 

######################################################################################

1 Yeojang : Transgender, for a man who like to dress like a girl

2 Gyeonggu : District Gyeong

3 The hunting competition Seohyun meant is refered to Chapter 10 : Watching from Behind