Falling Slowly

The Mute Queen

 

On 24th, will you come to that lake to play gayageum again?

Can I come with you?

 

 

Heechul glanced at her, look surprised “Sungmin-shi, how do you know I will play gayageum again on that date?”. 

 

He had no idea why Sungmin knew the exact date of him playing a gayageum in that lonely lake which was hidden over the thickness of the large forest at the back of Gyeongbok Palace area. The shortcut to the place was only by passing a small cave in the forest. He went there at least twice a month because he needed a quiet yet calming place to train his skill, made a new song or recite some poetries. For these recent three years he only played one song twice at that place.

 

Heechul glanced at Hyoyeon, his eyes reciting words like Did you tell her?’, but the latter shook her head. Heechul knew it’s impossible if Donghae told her because that kid was too busy with his own world.

 

Then he remembered the first time he met Sungmin was at that lake when he’s playing gayageum. He choosed to give a try “Aaah, don’t tell me you’re actually my fanatic fan” he said jokingly much like a teasing.

 

He didn’t know what kind of magic that bewitched him. His breath paused while his hand slowly moved by itself as if they were in spell reaching Sungmin’s cheek which recently just stained pink. Heechul didn’t know before that there was someone whose face really resembled a cherry blossom petal in a spring season like this. Beautiful. He thought.

 

But when his hand nearly reached her cheek, a hand prevented him “Hyung, Let’s play!!!!”

 

Heechul got shocked, back to his sane with What am I thinking’ and quickly pulled his hand and glared at the man who nearly made his eardrum cracked “Yah Fish!! Can you show up yourself normally whenever you come here? Do you know how many years I have lost because of you?”

 

Thanks the mother of earth that he wasn’t the only one who got startled because Sunkyu who stood beside him almost got her heart jumped from because Donghae came like a thunder. So without thinking first she hit Donghae’s head many times “Aw... Aw...Aw... Awawawaw Sunkyu-shi, it’s hurt aw...aw...”. Sunkyu’s trained hand moved to his back and continue to hit him again “You deserve it!!”.

 

“Hyung, help me!!” He pleaded but Heechul ignored him and turned to Sungmin who didn’t flinch at all because of Donghae’s action “Sungmin-shi, you're okay?”

 

Sungmin nodded kept lowering her head shyly. But secretly, she thanked Donghae because her heart beats couldn’t deal how to react if Heechul’s fingers landed on her cheek. What she wanted the most was hearing that melodic sounds again. Because within those three years, only that song had kept her sane for not falling deeply into a sorrow.

 

“And you fishy, what do you want?” Heechul nagged at the younger man

 

 “The winds today is good. Let’s play Kite!!” He grinned widely. Heechul rolled his eyes “Again...”

 

“Come on hyung. It’s gonna be fun. Sungmin-shi wanna play too!! I am sure” He said while attached his hands to his waist.

 

“Yah! You just come here and I don’t remember you asked her about that”

 

Donghae pouted and looked at Sungmin “You like Kite, right Sungmin shi? I and Siwon have made enough kites for all of us” he pointed at Siwon who stood tiredly with some square kites on his hands. Sungmin and Sunkyu finally knew why Siwon disappeared all of a sudden right when they arrived at the gisaeng house. Seemed like Donghae had kidnapped him to make kites.

 

Heechul looked at her “Wanna play Kite, Sungmin-shi? Donghae’s right. It’s gonna be fun” he shrugged and smiled at her.

 

But I don’t know how to fly it

 

Sungmin said her words with help from Sunkyu. Heechul chuckled “It’s okay. I am gonna te—“

 

“We’re gonna teach you. So don’t worry” Donghae once again stole Heechul's words making his hyung flicked a finger to his forehead quite hard “Aww...hyung I am sorry”

 

“Serve you right” Heechul said then glanced back at Sungmin “So?”

 

Sungmin glanced at Sunkyu, kind of asking a permission toward the courtlady.  Seeing how her queen’s eyes pleading, she couldn’t help but nodded and smiled back at her.

 

Donghae clapped his hands “Let’s go!!”

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

She helped her husband to dress up like a common people clothes. Starting from jeogori (upper garment) then wrapped him with a blue overcoat. She stood in front of her husband, head dropped shyly while tying up the goreum (ribbon) of her husband’s overcoat.

 

“What are you thinking that make you smile like that?” her husband teased.

 

She smiled “It’s been a while I help you dress like this. It remind me of our old days” she couldn’t hide the red stained on her cheek when she recalled the memories of them sneaking out from the palace, dressing like a common people, and riding a horse together to a far away place. At that time, they wished they could leave the palace and live together peacefully only the two of them. She missed that days.

 

She looked up to see her husband smiling to her. He had a mission today. As a king, he had to monitor his folks activities. Beside that, the issues about some rebellion action in some district had haunted the court this recent three years. King Cho already sent his men to investigate them but seemed like it’s not enough so he choosed to monitor them by himself.

 

Lady Seohyun took a gat (a round hat  that is made from horsehair, with a bamboo frame) then applied it to her husband’s head “Do you really have to go? I think Prince Yesung is doing good to muffle Jung Yunho’s rebellion“ she said while tying the black ribbon of the hat below Kyuhyun’s chin.

 

“I have to, Hyun. And it’s been a while I don’t see my brother. I miss him” Kyuhyun said. But actually, there’s a hidden reason why he’s going to Wonju. Not only because he wanted to meet his brother and solve rebellion case but also he needed to meet someone who capable enough to tell him about Jonseong’s shadow.

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Flashback

***********

“Eunuch Kang, please tell me” Kyuhyun pleaded to his eunuch last night if the latter knew about the secret between royal family and Lee faction.

 

But the said man shook his head “I am sorry Phea. I don’t know anything about that”

 

“Court Eunuchs use to know royal family’s history”

 

“But not the secret that is only the former royal family knew, Phea”

 

The King massaged his temple, didn’t have a clue to unify every puzzles about Jonseong's shadow into one piece. He was frustrated because everyone was playing secret around him.

 

He let out a sigh. He knew if he did what he thought this time, it meant he would break the rules of royal eunuch. But he thought of King Cho like his little brother already because he had served the King ever since he’s merely 12 years old so he quite understood about what his majesty’s feeling “Phea, there is actually someone who may help you a bit about this thing”

 

Kyuhyun looked up to his eunuch who stood in front of him “But It won’t be easy to make him to speak”

 

A spark of hope drawn on his eyes “He? Who’s that person Eunuch Kang?”

 

“He used to be your father’s first personal eunuch. Maybe he know something that wasn’t written in royal daily book. I heard he was in a temple near Wonju, Phea”

 

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

End of Flashback

**************

 

“Phea?”

 

Kyuhyun flinched a little when he’s caught spacing out by Lady Seohyun “What..what... did you say, Hyun-ah?”

 

“I asked you about how long you went to Wonju”

 

Kyuhyun nodded awkwardly “Aaah, maybe a week I guess”

 

Lady Seohyun smiled then leaned her head to his chest “be careful on the road and please comeback safely”

 

Kyuhyun hugged her “Yes. Don’t worry. Take care of your health too” he said then released the hug “I have to go now”

 

As Kyuhyun took his sword and a small bundle of his clothes, he waved a goodbye to her but right when he walked to reach the door, his concubine called him “Phea!”

 

Kyuhyun turned back “What is it, Hyun?”

 

Lady Seohyun shook her head and smiled “Never mind. Please be careful” she said then watched the king turned his back and disappeared from her view. But soon after, her smile turned bitter.

 

A tear slowly flew on her cheek. She remembered that Kyuhyun used to have a habit  to give a peck on her forehead before whenever he would go somewhere.

 

But this time, he forgot to do that....

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

 

“3 steps backward”

 

“Here?”

 

“Then two steps to the right”

 

“Like this?”

 

“Two steps to the right again”

 

“What? You should say 4 steps from beginning!” Sunkyu protested while hands still holding a kite above her head.

 

Heechul tapped his own chin with a finger “Ummm I think you have to take three step to the left”

 

Sunkyu couldn’t hold her patient any longer “Fake ahjumma!!! Are you making a fun of me? Do it again I am gonna kill you!”

 

Heechul’s mouth hanged open, getting shocked with his new nickname “Fa...fake ahjumma?” He glanced at Sungmin “That brat. Why she’s so scary? Did your family forgot to teach her some manners or something wrong with her head?”. Sungmin only shrugged and tried so hard to hold her laughter.

 

“Yah!! Shorty Sunsun! I am trying to adjust your position so it’s fit enough with the wind direction not making fun of you (Eventhough I did)” He shouted at her.

 

“Whatever!! Just tell me how long I am gonna hold off this Kite!” She shouted back. Her hands felt uncomfortable because holding the kite too long.

 

Heechul observed the wind direction and noticing the Kite that Sunkyu held already started to sway. He looked at Sungmin who’s holding the string “You’re ready? When I say ‘Now’ you have to run backward with me and don’t remove your hand from the string”

 

Sungmin felt nervous but also excited. She nodded ‘Okay’.

 

“Sunsun!! NOW!!!” Heechul shouted.

 

As Sunkyu released the Kite, it started to move up to the sky high. While running backward together with Heechul. Sungmin’s eyes were sparkling in amazement watching such a small thinny square thing could fly so high challenging the strong wind as she kept extending the string.

 

But when the string was not long enough to extend, the Kite started slowing down. She became anxious. Afraid the kite would fall to the ground after flying so high. She thought of the kite representing herself. Her life as a queen. Falling...

 

Then a hand of someone grabbed her hands, she felt her back attached to someone’s body. When she turned around, she discovered Heechul was standing behind her and taking control of her hands “Hey, did you just forget what I said. At a time like this, you have to pull some length of the string then extend it again. Keep do this back and forth so it will fly higher and not fall“

 

She felt her heartbeats was raising because it’s the first time someone held her hands so tight and warmly like that. Without thinking, she found her body leaned to the other male’s chest. It felt good. She felt being protected.

 

While she let Heechul controlling the Kite with her hands, she remembered again what Hyoyeon said before they left Gisaeng house.

 

“I guess you heard it's echoes from your place, right? I like that song too Agashi. It has a really deep meaning. That song is specially created for someone”

 

Sungmin wondered who the lucky person was. How she hope someone would make a beautiful song like that to her.

 

“Woohoo!!! Hyung, it’s really fun. Let’s have a duel!!” Donghae asked Heechul while flew up his own kite to the blue sky.

 

Heechul scoffed “Geez. That brat. Sungmin shi, want to make that fishy to realize who the real king?”

 

Sungmin nodded. “Okay!! Let’s kill that sky together. Yaha!!!” he said then guided Sungmin to run together.

 

Meanwhile, Siwon chose to sit and watched them from a side of the green field. He really liked the view of his gongjunim playing like an innocent girl. He remembered when she’s child, she barely had a time to play like other kids at her age because she’s busy preparing to become a crown princess. He felt so happy to witness a cheerful side of her.

 

“Siwon” Sunkyu sat beside him.

 

“Sun...sunkyu” he said a bit stuttered.

 

Sunkyu looked at Sungmin for a moment then turned to Siwon “I still can’t trust you fully”

 

Siwon nodded slowly “I understand”

 

“But I want to give a try so I won’t tell Queen Min about your real identity”

 

Siwon eyes grew wide. He didn’t expect Sunkyu would said that words “I know how much do you love Lee family. From your eyes, I know it’s not fake nor an act”

 

Siwon sighed in relief “Thank you”

 

“But you have to remember it doesn’t mean I will be off guard just because I said I trusted you. You know courtladies from Lee faction aren’t only taught how to serve but how to kill without traces, right?”

 

Siwon smiled “I know. And you have to know that I am fully devoted myself to Lee family since they saved my life. The last mission Lord Eunhyuk gave me is to protect her sister. No matter what happen in the future, I will always hold that promise until I die”

 

“Siwon!! My kite’s string is cut off. Bring me one more!!” Donghae called him.

 

Sunkyu chuckled “Is he become your new master now?”

 

Siwon let out a heavy sigh “You know I am weak with kids”

 

“Hahaha...”

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

They were riding horses fastly out from Gyeongbok Palace to Wonju in a small group. Beside King Cho, there were captain Yonghwa and three strongest royal main guards : Jonghyun, Changmin, and Jungshin to protect the King. They all dressed like a common people, but by seeing their body build posture, skilled riding horse, and the sword that attached behind their back, people would think they probably some officers from Hanyang city.

 

Kyuhyun let Yonghwa to lead the group because he couldn’t focus to run before them. His mind was still left in Gyeongbok Palace. He didn’t know what came into him that after he waved a goodbye to his concubine, he went to Queen Pavilion to meet Queen Min. But the latter was nowhere to be found at the pavilion. He kept asking himself why he felt disappointed.

 

He escaped from spacing out right when he heard Yonghwa’s horse neighing. The captain pulled the rein of his horse to stop “What happen, captain Yonghwa?” the king asked as he also did the same to stop his own horse.

 

Captain Yonghwa looked at him “There was a small pond near this area, Phea. I think we have to let our horses to drink a little”

 

Kyuhyun nodded and got down from his horse then he heard some laughters came from somewhere.

 

“Hmm? Are there people in a quiet place like this?” royal main guard Jonghyun commented.

 

Kyuhyun tried to ignore it at first but he failed when hearing a voice “Sungmin-shi, I am here. Try to catch me!! Hahaha...” the mentioned name made him got curious. He let his feet walked to the voice direction, ignoring the questioning look from his royal guards.

 

Not so far from their place, he found an open field with a green lawn. He saw a small group of people were playing around happily. One of them tried to catch the others with both eyes were closed with a black fabric. After a moment, his eyes became wide because the female looked familiar. He shook his head, his mind was telling himself that it’s different person. But when that woman stopped and successfully catched the other woman in her embrace, his mouth hanged open as the female removed the black fabric from her eyes.

 

“Phea, Isn’t that Queen Min?” Jungshin asked but earning a hit on the head from Chief Jonghyun “Stupid! It’s impossible. What Queen Min’s doing with a common people like that? She must be a different person. It’s impossible Queen Min is playing and laughing like that. She must be in Gyeongbok Palace right now”

 

Kyuhyun assured himself that what his royal guard said was true. It’s impossible. But another royal guard Changmin found something which betrayed his former judgement “Phea, I think I see Chief Siwon and Courtlady Sunkyu over there” he pointed out to a place where the two people were sitting comfortably watching the other three playing catch and caught.

 

He's stunned “I never see her smile like that...” he whispered, low enough as it was barely heard by his royal guards.

 

“Seems like Min Mama have a good friends, Phea. She looks happy” Captain Yonghwa said.

 

The king nodded, ready to go back“Yes, seems like you’re right, Captain. Now, we have to— “ he paused, couldn’t believe what he saw. He hoped his eyesight was too good to trick him when he saw Sungmin wrapped her hands around the other female’s neck and let that woman piggyback her.

 

Later he saw a faint blush on Sungmin’s cheek. As far as he remembered as knowing the female for over 13 years, never even once he saw Sungmin smiled shyly like that. He clutched his fingers hardly to his palms. He knew there was no reason to be jealous but when seeing how his queen staring at that woman, why he felt some insecurities haunted around him?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC