Devotion

The Mute Queen

 

A night passed, Siwon had tried to explain about his last conversation to Choi Seunghyun but Sunkyu kept avoiding him. This morning, he knew the latter planned to accompany Queen Min sneaking out the palace again so he sighed in relief when he saw the female stood behind Queen Pavilion waiting for her queenhopelessly approached Sunkyu  but the latter seemed like to ignore him “Sunkyu-shi, please let me explain!”

 

Sunkyu paused her steps and turned around “I don’t need your explanation, Siwon-shi. Knowing you have deceived us for years is enough for me” she said coldly toward the male.

 

He paused his breath couldn’t accept the word ‘deceived’ from the courtlady “Sunkyu-shi, you have to know that whatever will happen, I devote myself only to Lee faction. I will never betrayed our Gongjunim. Trust me” he said with eyes full of determination. He had owed Lee family a lot for saving his life 13 years ago from becoming a slave and be sold to Yeoldo. They might be quite stern and strict to a child like him, but they never gave a cold shoulder to him but a warm hand and embrace. Whether they were on the bad side or the right side, he didn’t care. He would give up all his life eventhough it meant he would become a villain for that.

 

Sunkyu glanced at him. Actually she knew about how Siwon’s life was saved by Lee family back then. The first time she met Siwon when the latter trained his martial art skill with Queen Min’s father. His eyes were full of admiration. It’s not the eyes of someone who’s probably be sent as a spy to watch Lee family. His loyalty toward Lee stood upon all Lee’s family warriors. That’s why he became a chief in such a young age and Lord Eunhyuk’s right hand.

 

But still, knowing the latter was born as a Choi gave her some insecurity. Especially, for Queen Min, she didn’t want the queen would feel hurt of betrayal again. Not from the person she trust a lot. “So why a general’s son abandoned his noble status and devote himself to serve Lee faction, Choi’s enemy. You could tell Lord Sungjong that you’re Choi Kiho’s son. He would send you home. You know Lee family never killed people without reason even that person was their enemy”

 

He looked down for a second, being hesitant to reveal his hurtful memories or not. But if he didn’t he could lose Queen Min’s trust, he definitely didn’t want it happened. He took a breath then glanced back to the female, let out a bitter smile “How could I go back home, when the one who killed my father was from his own faction...”

 

Sunkyu widened her eyes, had no idea why the faction with such a kind image like Choi could darely kill their own people like that. She knew Choi Kiho was a great general who’s well known of his justice. Lee faction hated him because he’s too straight for the God sake but they respected him as a valuable enemy. So what’s the reason of Choi to retreat such a great person? “Siwon-shi, you—“

 

Right when Sunkyu wanted to say her respond, the back door of Queen Pavilion was opened and revealed Queen Min who’s dressing like a common folk. Without knowing what the other two had talked about, she gave them a smile.

 

‘Let’s go’

 

 

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

 

Meanwhile, without anyone at the court knew, there was a secret meeting in a small shack near red ginseng farm which was owned by Choi. The secret meeting between Lord Seunghyun and Madam Ook.

 

“I hope you like the red ginseng you’ve just received, Madam”. Lord Seunghyun let out a smile toward the middle aged woman. Looking satisfied that his bait had gotton fed well.

 

But however, the said woman didn’t look quite happy with the gift. She looked upset but tried hardly enough to surpress that because she’s seeing a minister from the royal court of course. “What do you mean of this, Lord Seunghyun. Do you know I could report you to Her  Highness Queen Insoo or King Cho about this” She put on the Lord Seungyun’s letter in front of him.

 

“But I know you won’t, Madam. Because if you did, you wouldn’t be here with me” he smirked.

 

She grithed her teeth, much to prevent her anger “What do you want from me, Lord Seunghyun?”

 

The asked man raised an eyebrow, then poured a cup of tea for the female “Just like what had been mentioned from my letter, help me to take down Lee faction”

 

“I am just a court lady. I do hate them but it’s nothing to do with my life and family. I am happy enough with my own. I don’t have much power to take down such a big faction” she reasoned firmly but still failed to calm her trembling hands.

 

He chuckled “Happy enough? Don’t make me laugh madam. Well, I just have to straight to the main point then. I am telling you we are in the same boat right now. You want to shove Queen Min from her throne and be replaced by your daughter while I want to get rid of Lee Faction influence from royal court”

 

Hearing those words made she lost her patient as she slammed the table before her with anger “How come do you think about me that way, Lord Seunghyun? I don’t care with whatever happens with Queen Min and Lee faction. I will pretend this meeting is never exist. I have to go” she stood up and raised up her cloak and put a veil to hide her face. She bowed as a farewell and meant to leave that place.

 

But the last Lord Seunghyun’s words stopped her “Don’t care? Did that include with poisoning Queen Min 3 years ago?”.

 

She opened back her veil and turned back to face the minister with widened eyes toward the man “Please sit back Madam”. He motioned his hand.

 

“what’s make you think I did that? I do dislike her but I am not a person who could do something like that”

 

Lord Seunghyun laughed “Hahahaha…. Please don’t play innocent with me, Madam Ook”

 

She bit her lower lip “You don’t have proves”

 

He took a sip of his tea “don’t underestimate the power of Choi, madam. Of course I have proves. Three years ago, you did buy Shāo hóulóng poison from an illegal seller from China”

 

She frowned for a second but turned calmer than before “Yes, I admit I bought it 3 years ago. It’s for my own business and had nothing to do with Queen Min. Why I bought it for, it’s not of your concern, Lord Seunghyun. And as far as I know Shāo hóulóng poison can cause someone’s throat, esophagus, lungs, and intestine burned even with a small amount of it. But Queen Min is still alive until now. She’s just become muted. If I am the one who poisoned her, investigation team should have found it from the drink I served her when royal first night happened”

 

Lord Seunghyun nodded “Well, you’re right. There is not even a single trace of that poison on that drink”

 

She gave a short smile “See? I am innocent about this stuff. I think you’d misunderstood of my action. I am done here. I have to go” she stood again.

 

“But how if the poison not in the drink but applied on the tip of the cup? Queen Min couldn’t refuse your herbal drink because you used her mother in law Queen Insoo to give it” Lord Seunghyun smirked. From Madam Ook’s new expression, he knew he will win this.

 

She became nervous again “Wha—what do you mean? You can’t judge someone without proves”

 

He chuckled “Actually you owe me one thing, Madam. Do you wonder why the best royal investigation team doesn’t report about this to King Cho until now?”

 

She became silent for a moment then let a heavy sigh “So you’re threatening me by using that. Fine. What do you want me to do?”

 

The meeting went for two hours. Madam Ook had been sent back to the palace by some Choi’s guards. Meanwhile, on the shack, Lord Seunghyun was still sitting and fanning himself with a triumphant smile.

 

“Did your meeting go well, my Lord?” Secretary Choi Minho showed up from the front door.

 

Lord Seunghyun nodded “Just like you heard earlier. She ate our bait”

 

“But my lord, is that true you have the prove of Madam Ook poisoned Queen Min? Why I don’t know you have bribed royal investigation team?”

 

Lord Seunghyun laughed “hahaha... I just lied to her. I was nearly knocked off when she said the symptom Queen Min had was different but once I said about I knew she applied the poison on the tip of Queen Min’s cup, I could see from her face she really did that. I was just guessing but that old hag ate all my words really well”

 

“But if Queen Min got poisoned by that, why she’d survived?”

 

Lord Seunghyun’s expression became more serious “That’s the point. She’s really smart Minho. We have to be careful”

 

Secretary Minho looked confused “I don’t understand, My Lord. Do you mean, Queen Min knew she had been poisoned from beginning?”

 

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~

 

 

That was the first time she watched a dancing practice. She had never joined a dancing lesson on the palace since she hated to practice together with a young Seohyun and watching Prince Kyuhyun took a peek and complimented how good Seohyun’s dance was. She didn’t regret at all pouring Seohyun’s clothes with itching powder back then. Her mother meant to give her a private dancing lesson but she rather choosed trying to get Kyuhyun’s attention over that.

 

Queen Min with Sunkyu were watching a dance practice at Heechul’s Gisaeng house. There were 8 gisaengs formed in circle at the front yard, practicing a sword dance followed by musical instruments from local mucisians. It’s called Jinju-Geommu, an adaptation from a military sword dance by using a replica of dual short swords, ssang dan geom.

 

Queen Min watched them with amazement. All their dance movements were full with harmony. Maybe their skill were still far from professional dancers from palace but there was one thing they had while the other didn’t. Maybe their passion as dancer were in the same level but the dancers from Heechul’s Gisaeng house were dancing with a heart of joy. Their harmony, their gazes, and their smiles stood over all dancing group she knew.

 

Hyoyeon who just came out from the house approached them and sat on the porch stair beside them “Do you like our dance, Agashi?”.

 

Sungmin faced her and nodded. She Sunkyu who sat beside her and asked to translate her lip movement.

 

‘Who taught them that dance?’

 

Sunkyu whispered to Hyoyeon made the gisaeng chuckled “Heenim has taught them almost all kind of folk dance in Jonseong” her eyes led to the gisaeng house owner, Heechul (still with a female hanbok of course), who’s standing near the musician and keeping an eye on his dancers.

 

“Yah Jiyeon!! your hand moves look so stiff. Look at Soyeon near you. She’s doing good” Heechul shouted earning a big pout from the said gisaeng. Hyoyeon giggled watching him.

 

Sungmin saw how the male approached the dancer, fixed her hand gesture, and showed her the right example by himself. Sungmin could see that he had a supple hand just like most female dancer had.

 

‘Why heechul-shi doesn’t join them dancing?’

 

Hyoyeon sighed heavily “Heenim can’t join dance competition. Musician Association can’t let a transgender like him become an artist”. Sungmin frowned. As far as she knew, there’s no rules of a transgender was forbidden to join court dance competition.

 

Hyoyeon seemed understood what she’s thinking about “There is an unwritten rules between artist include musician and dancers in this country. Same like politicians in royal palace. In artist world, it is not only filled with devotion of art but also filled with craftiness and knavery. Especially when it comes to business of gisaeng. In this circumtance, they used the transgender thing as an excuse to ban Heenim’s access but actually the real reason is...”

 

“What’s the real reason?” this time, Sunkyu was the one who became curious. “Heenim had broken the most important gisaeng’s rule. Gisaeng can become a real gisaeng when she gave her ity to a nobleman. They’re forbidden to fall in love. But in Heenim’s gisaeng house, there’s no rule like that”

 

She glanced back to Heechul. She stared at the man with gratefulness “We felt touched of course. He didn’t look at us as his business products but human being. He didn’t force us to give up our ity. He wanted we gave it to the person we wanted to. How ridiculous right? If he spoiled us like that, he could lose his gisaengs”

 

Sungmin asked Sunkyu to translate her again ‘but you all didn’t leave him

 

Hyoyeon smiled at her “It’s because he values us like a family. Maybe he is a money lover but we know deep in his heart he loves us too. Well eventhough he will never admit it himself (chuckled).... Now, we will attend a court dance competition. It’s really a miracle if we can pass  the elimination. We can’t hope much about it though”

 

“Yah! What are you talking about? Are you gossiping about me again?” Heechul popped up suddenly behind them.

 

Sunkyu scoffed “How confidence. We’re complimenting your dancers not you”

 

Heechul folded his hands before his chest “Hey, I am the one who taught them that dance” then he glanced at Sungmin “Sungmin-shi, how’s our performance? Do you like it?”

 

Sungmin smiled and gave an agree nodded. “Of course. If it’s not because my gentle touches, they were only a bunch of carping gisaeng soon turning to be ahjummas” he said that proudly soon receiving a hit of paper fan on the head from Hyoyeon “Mworago?!! I’ve just complimented you in front of them but now I regret that already”

 

“Huh? Really? What you complimented about?” he became excited

 

“That you are a complete ert” Hyoyeon retorted.

 

Heechul gapped “Yah! It’s not even a compliment at all. I am your boss and older than you”

 

Hyoyeon attached her both hands to her waist “Yeah that right, so can you please act like in your age and a responsible boss?”

 

Heechul pointed a finger to Hyoyeon “You... Thi—this .... I can’t believe this”. He touched his neck on the back side suddenly felt a sudden raise of his blood pressure.

 

Sunkyu who watched that scene giggled and shook her head “He is really childish despite of his appearance, right Agashi?” But when she turned at her, she noticed the queen was spacing out while watching the two bickering persons in front of them.

 

“Agashi?” Sunkyu called again.

 

Sungmin flinched ‘Ye...Yes?’

 

Sunkyu smiled at her “what have you been thinking about, made you so drown up like that?”

 

Sungmin took out a tiny book and a small pen brush from her pocket then wrote something. Sunkyu raised an eyebrow reading what she wrote. She asked her to give that to Heechul.

 

“Excuse me Heechul-nim” Sunkyu interrupted their bickering moment. Heechul quickly stopped after hearing a sudden politeness from Sunkyu “What did you just say? Tell me I am dreaming” he said in sarcastic way.

 

Sunkyu offered the paper “From agashi”

 

On 24th, will you come to that lake to play gayageum again?

Can I come with you?

 

 

Heechul glanced at her, look surprised “Sungmin-shi, how do you know I will play gayageum again on that day?”

 

Sunkyu looked at her queen with mouth hanged open. She noticed there’s a faint blush on the queen’s cheek. She knew the queen was fanning over the gayageum player since 3 years ago whom happened to be a rude narcistic transgender Kim Heechul, but by seeing the way the queen bit her lower lip and looked nervous, she’s starting to suspect something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC