The Lantern of Hope

The Mute Queen

He nearly couldn’t walked straight to his quarters. He’s still quite tipsy eventhough he had drunk so much soju back then. He saw Madam Ook and some courtladies who served the King’s mother stood in front of the main door then gave a deep bow to him.

 

“My mother is here?”

 

“Yes, Phea. Queen Insoo want to hold a private conversation with you. So we only can wait here”

 

He sighed. It’s in a middle of night already. It had to be really important if his mother came to him at this time. He ordered eunuch Kang to stay in front of his chamber. He walked in and saw the elder sitting gracefully in front of his table.

 

“What does make you to come here in the middle of night, Mother? It’s not good for your health”

 

She stood up and approached his son. Her right hand caressed his left cheek gently.

 

“Mother…”

 

“You’re drunk, my son. How much Soju you have drunk? Is something bothering you?”

 

He removed his mother’s hand “Mother, we can talk tomorrow”. He saw his chamber’s big window still opened. Right when he went to step forward to close the window, Queen Insoo’s words stopped him “I heard Queen Min is no where in the palace”

 

Kyuhyun went silent for a moment and took several sighs before answering “Captain Yonghwa will bring her back”

 

“What had you said to her 3 years ago, Kyuhyun?”

 

He stunned to hear the words. Didn’t know which words have to say first “Mother…”

 

“These days, I am feeling the fierce on her eyes is slowly fading after the last royal first night and her brother incident. The rumors about she become mute because of your curse is really annoying my ears. How come there is no medicine that could heal her?”

 

King Cho turned to his side and couldn’t look at her mother’s eyes “That’s a nonsense rumor, Mother. Royal doctors said is getting better. We just have to wait. Beside our investigator still didn’t stop to find the cause until now". He only could say that words. He couldn’t say that Sungmin muteness wasn’t physical anymore but psychological issues. She just needed something that could stimulate her to speak again".

 

Queen Insoo left a sigh “That’s good to hear then. I know become a Queen is difficult to her but she really unpredictable. I still have no idea why she made lady Seohyun become your concubine” She shook her head.

 

The King turned back and approached his mother. He cupped her cheeks then gave a peck on her forehead “Now, you must go back to your pavilion. Please take a rest”

 

She nodded and ready to leave but she paused for a moment when she was remembering something “Son, I think Lee faction power slowly become weaker and weaker nowadays. They are really important for royal family, Kyuhyun. You must solve this soon before it's late. Understand?”

 

After Lee faction being mentioned, something hit Kyuhyun “Mother, do you know the meaning of Jonseong’s Shadow? Why Lee faction is really important to us?”

 

She turned to the king's direction “You ask that question again, my Son. I told you it’s not my position to tell you about that. Your late father know it all though. But he want to let you find the answer by your own. That will prove you are worthy enough to become Jonseong’s King”

 

After his mother came back to her pavilion, he sat near the opened window in his chamber. Again, he watched Venus that shone gracefully on the clear sky. He recalled his latest conversation  with his mother.

 

“What had you said to her 3 years ago, Kyuhyun?”

 

He couldn’t say the truth at the moment. Yes. Something did happened after that night. It's still fresh in his memory how he said that mean words to Queen Min. A bunch of guilts bloomed back in his chest. He closed his eyes for a second. He remembered exactly the image how sungmin burst into tears and said I hate you to him.

 

“I didn’t mean it Min. I am sorry….”

 

 

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

 

 

That night at lampion festival. Heechul, Sungmin, Sunkyu and Donghae minus Siwon joined the people in riverside who also brought paper lantern with them. It’s constructed from oiled rice paper on a bamboo frame, and contain a small candle or fuel cell composed of a waxy flammable material.

 

For Sungmin, it’s the first time she saw such a simple lantern. She had no idea why a lot of people bought it and gathered along at riverside.

 

“It’s called sky lantern, Agashi” Sunkyu said after seeing her curiosity look.

 

Heechul added “That’s right. If we light it, the flame heats the air inside the paper lantern, thus will be lowering its density, causing the lantern to rise into the air. And…..”

 

“And the most interesting part is you write your hope on the paper lantern then praying the heaven will grant your wish while it’s flying up to the air. That’s why it's also called Lantern of Hope” Donghae cut him.

 

Heechul felt irritated and snapped to him “Yah Fishy! Who did give you permission to snatch my words?!!!”

 

Donghae answered back “And who give you permission to monopolize that words?” then run to the bridge that crossed Nam River.

 

While Heechul took revenge to Donghae because talking back at him, Sunkyu gave Sungmin a tint brush “Agashi, please write your wish. Don’t worry, I won’t peek he..he.. Well, I know this is nonsense but…” Sunkyu was sure Sungmin wouldn’t lit the lantern of hope because she knew Sungmin only believed logical things. But it surprised her that Sungmin took the tintbrush and turned around to write her wish.

 

After she’d done, Heechul came with a hand pulling Donghae’s ear. Ended satisfying with much apologies from Donghae, He then guide the females to the bridge then helped them to light the Lantern of Hope.

 

They counted down from three, then released the lantern up to the sky. Sungmin was watching her small lantern blowing up to the sky. She closed her eyes, hands clasped in front of her chest.

 

 

Heechul’s watching her. Not like the other three, he let his paper lantern blank. He didn’t write his wish because he never prayed in his life. He knew the lantern of hope was only airborne for as long as the flame stays alight, after that the lantern would sink back to the ground.

 

He wasn’t sure whether god really read that written wish and granted it nor not. But still he liked observing Sungmin’s figure in praying. He wondered what Sungmin wish would be…

 

….

 

'I want Heechul-shi become my friend who never leave me'

 

….

 

….

 

….

(Back To The Future Time)

 

“As you wish, pumpkin” He mumbled that words with a curvy smile that still painted on his lip before a loud bang nearly broke his ears.

 

(bang)… (bang)…(bang)

 

“Wake up!! Wake up!! You can dream about pumpkin again tomorrow. So Wake up!! (bang)… (bang)…” a male intruded his room with two pan covers on his hand. He’s bumping the pan covers excitedly feeling a proud that his method was way more effective than an alarm clock to wake the sleeping man up from his bed.

 

“Yah!!! I was in a beautiful dream before. What are you doing in  my room? Are you a thief?”

 

The shorter male blinked in surprise “Huh? Do you not remember? You’ve hired me as your PA. If you have that kind of sickness, I can’t help it but go home” He looked with a pity toward the taller male. Thinking that maybe the latter had a sort of short memory loss syndrome.

 

Heechul gapped. His left hand touched a sudden raised blood in his neck veins while his right one pointed a finger toward the other man as he finally realized who he was “You…you… “

 

“Woah, Sungmin-shi. You’re so smart. You wouldn’t know how many alarm clocks that have been broken just to make heechul hyung waking up!!” Donghae said while peeking from the doorway.

 

“Yah Fish!!! How could you let him get inside my room!!!”

 

Donghae shrugged “it’s a quarter past seven already. We must go to our schedule in 15 minutes. This is the latest record Hyung. You never wake this late before. What’s your dream about?”

 

“!!!” Heechul rushed to bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face. He didn’t have time and definitely didn’t want to explain what he dreamed about.

 

“Aigoo…, a super star doesn’t even bath (I must write this in my black book)” Sungmin mumbled.

 

“Yah, Rotten Pumpkin. Don’t mock me behind my back!!!” Heechul said from bathroom earning a surprise look from Sungmin. Donghae stepped closer to him and whispered “Watch your mouth here. He has  very very talented ears”.

 

Sungmin snickered “What? He even give me a new nickname? Rotten Pumpkin? Ckh..”. Donghae took a note in his mind that he wanted to see more Sungmin’s various expression from now on as he found it's really entertaining.

 

Sungmin looked at him. Lip motioned 'What are you looking at?' Donghae only grinned and silently thanked God that this was the first time he’s feeling lucky having Heechul in this dorm. More fun to get….

 

Heechul got out from bathroom and quickly wore his clothes in seconds. He offered a big bag of his stuffs to Sungmin roughly “Bring it. You’re my PA right? For a month. And I don’t have any short memory loss. Note that!” he said. Sungmin wondered how Heechul knew what he was thinking.

 

The other members of M & D were ready to go for their schedule. Manager Yuri was waiting in the band’s bus ready to bring them to hair salon. Heechul stopped at the doorway when noticing Sungmin didn’t move from his position. Still standing on the same place.

 

“Pumpkin, what are you doing?”

 

“I haven’t officially become your PA yet” he shrugged. He took papers from his own bag then gave it to Heechul. It wrote CONTRACT.

 

“What the…? At the time like this?”

 

Sungmin nodded blinking his eyes cutely “Please read it before you sign”

 

Heehcul scoffed then opened the papers. Just reading how many alphabets there had made him feeling dizzy (he hated reading book except comic). "I Kim Heechul accepts Lee Sungmin as my personal assistant for a month. I will respect all his rights as human being …….. bla…..bla…. bla…. End. Where should I sign?”

 

Sungmin eyes grew wider. He’s sure that Heechul only read the first and last paragraph “Are you sure?”

 

“It’s written that you will be my PA with my every single schedule and obey all my commands for a whole month, right? I can read it with light speed”

 

Sungmin smirked “Sign here please, Heenim”. He showed the place where Heechul should sign at the papers near his own.

 

He took the pen then signed on it “Geez, you’re lucky I am in a good mood today. Hurry, we’ll be late!!”

 

“As you wish, Heenim kekeke….” Sungmin took Heechul’s bag while humming a winning song.

 

I bet you will grant my wish soon…

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

 

“You’ve come Sungjong” An old man who looked like in his 70 years of age greeted Sungmin’s father who personally came to his house at working hours. Lines of wrinkle drawn out through his face but it didn’t make him lost his charisma. He did use a long black cane everywhere he goes but it didn’t mean he needed it to support his walking. He still could stand straight gallantly like his younger days if he wanted but he chose it merely as an accessory to build a respect and sometimes fear to any youngers around him.

 

“I am glad you’re as healthy as last I met you, President Cho. I heard from Secretary Han that your grandson has come back from China. Is that why you’ve called me here?”

 

The oldman invited him to have a seat “Yes, that means you know what we have to do next, right Sungjong? I guess your son is ready now. He will graduate from high school this year, won’t he?”

 

Sungjong nodded “Yes, Sir. We will prepare all stuff for Sungmin to move to Cho’s family. But is this too early to settle it?”

 

The old man stared at Sungjong for a moment “Why are you suddenly look hesitant, Sungjong?”

 

Sungjong felt a bit tensed with the oldman hawk eyes “It’s not like that. I still don’t understand why it must be Sungmin. Our Lee’s clan also have a female successor, Lee Sunkyu. But why you still want it has to be Sungmin?”

 

The oldman who before having no expression slowly curving a smile to Sungjong “I see your heart as his father here Sungjong. I will answer this just once to you. I can feel Queen Myeongseong aura in Sungmin the last time you brought him to me 10 years ago. Madam Sohee, our family’s fortune teller told me this too. It must be from your family's line”

 

Sungjong’s eyes became bigger. “Sir, don’t tell me you want…”

 

The oldman nodded “Yes. I want to fix the bond that already broken 500 years ago. I want my grandson Qui Xian bring back the glory of Jonseong to Korea land again”

 

“But Sir, It will going to be difficult because Sungmin born as a man”

 

“That’s why I call you here Sungjong. We must make it sure that this new bond won’t be broken again just like 500 years ago because of that Gisaeng…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC