Treated Well

The Mute Queen

At Manch'eon Hall

 

Phea, you’re drinking too much.” Seohyun pleaded to Kyuhyun to stop drinking soju, because not like rice wine, it had a lot of alcohol in it. She knew the King had very good alcohol tolerance, but watching the male kept drinking even after the Ming emissary left the banquet made her to be more worried. She didn’t understand why Kyuhyun looked upset. The Ming emissary left the banquet with a smile drawn on his face, Kyuhyun must be feeling relieved with that, yet the scene before her showed the opposite.

 

The King placed his cup on a table, “Eunuch Kang, please get someone to Lady Seohyun to go back to her place. She need more rest,” The King said to Eunuch Kang behind him. Seohyun was impressed  as the former still in a sober state after having so much soju to drink before.

 

Phea…” She called him while rubbing his hand.

 

The King stared at her, “Seohyun, please…!!” Seohyun sighed in defeat and followed Kyuhyun’s wish.

 

While stepping down along the stairway in front of  Manch'eon Hall. She asked Eunuch Kang, “Eunuch Kang, do you know why His Majesty looks so upset?”

 

The man shook his head “I don’t know either, Hyun Mama. The time he drank that much is when the previous King set the date of his royal marriage and when ….”

 

Seohyun tilted her head, “And?”

 

Eunuch Kang shook his head, “Never mind. My memories are kind of lack these days,” He chuckled and silently cursed himself cause nearly leaked something meant to be remained as secret. I am sorry, Hyun Mama. I can’t say that he even drank more soju after spending a royal first night with Queen Min three years ago. He thought. 

 

“Chief Jonghyun will you until reaching your place. Please take a rest as the King said,” The Eunuch said.

 

Seohyun turned back to the hall’s door for a moment before she continued to leave. Worries were clearly drawn in her eyes.

 

Phea…, what happen to you?

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

Meanwhile, not so far from the King’s seat, there was someone eyeing him with a mysterious glance. He was a minister of Health and Welfare, from Choi Faction, Choi Seunghyun. “Secretary Minho,” He called the person who sat behind him.

 

“Yes, my Lord. Do you want anything?” He asked.

 

Minister Choi shook his head, “No, I just want to ask. Do you know the tall man who gave Queen Min’s letter earlier?”

 

“Yes, my Lord. His name is Siwon, The Chief of Lee’s family soldiers. He served Lord Eunhyuk before.”

 

The minister paused for a moment, “No family name?”

 

“Yes. No one knows his real family name. When Jonseong held a martial art competition five years ago. Lord Eunhyuk registered his name as Lee Siwon. What’s wrong, my Lord?”

 

The minister sighed then mumbled something, “So you throw your Choi’s pride away, huh?” Minho looked confused with Lord Seunghyun’s words. As if the minister he knew about Siwon's family background. “What do you mean, my Lord? Was he a Choi before?” He whispered to the minister. 

 

The minister just smirked, then glanced back to King Cho, “It’s not important for now. Just forget it. But I am curious what he had said to the King, to make him acts isn’t like our usual King”

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

At Heechul’s place

 

“Min Mam…Umph!!!” Siwon quickly placed his right palm to Sunkyu’s mouth to prevent the latter spilling out Sungmin’s true identity.

“I told you, remember?” He whispered.

She dismissed Siwon’s hand roughly and sneered at him, “Ugh, whatever!!” She turned to face Sungmin and her face became teary “Agashi1!!!” She launched herself to hug Sungmin tightly and sobbed like never seen the other female in years.

 

“I’m so worried… I..I thought someone had kidnapped you”

 

Sungmin smiled and patted Sunkyu’s back to calm her. Right in the moment she realized what she’d been doing, Sunkyu quickly released her hold on Sungmin and apologized “A..Agashi. I am sorry. I shouldn’t suppose to hug you suddenly like that. I am just too happy,” She said while rubbing her wet eyes. What have I done? I am just a court lady. She thought.

 

(clap… clap… clap…)

 

Some clapping sound was heard from someone behind them. Cha!!! Enough with lovey-dovies. Sungmin-shi, here I introduce my friend to you, Hyoyeon. She will guide you to choose any hanbok you like to wear for The Lampion Festival tonight,” Heechul said.

 

Hearing the way Heechul spoke informally toward Sungmin made Sunkyu felt annoyed, “Who’s he? How dare he talks like that to Min Agashi!!!!”

 

Feeling offended by Sunkyu, Heechul came to her with two hands attached to his waist. He purposely came too close to her, thus he could drop his head and eyes looked low on her to show how shorty she was, “I am the one who have to say like that. You seem like younger and smaller than me. So please show your respect”

 

Sunkyu’s mouth hanged open. That’s the first time someone talked back like that to her, “What?” Donghae who’s watching them couldn’t help but press his own stomach and laugh without any sound. Beside him, Siwon lifted his head, staring at the ceiling above him with a tremble lip, trying so hard to not laugh.

 

“Should I repeat it? And you must know that I am your lady's savior. If there weren’t me, she would die in fever before being able to wake up…. Oh..wait…wait…” Heechul paused for a moment when he realized something, “Did..did you call me with ‘he’ before? How do you..know?” He asked while pointing his finger toward Sunkyu. He had no idea Sunkyu knew about his gender.

 

“Of course I know!! You do have a very pretty face like woman, but your voice can’t trick me. Thanks for saving Min Agashi anyway.”

 

Heechul huffed, “Well, you do have no manner, but I must admit you have a good eye (about my beauty of course). You’re welcome.”

 

Then the woman named Hyoyeon, whom Heechul mentioned before, walked forward Sungmin. The way she swayed her hips while walking proved everyone that she was a Gisaeng too. She touched Sungmin’s cheek, made the latter startled for a moment.

 

“Gosh, Agashi! You have a really good skin. What’s the secret?” She asked. Sunkyu got mad and ready to scold Hyoyeon but Sungmin gave her a hand signal and glanced at her.

 

It’s okay, Sunkyu.

 

The gisaeng accompanied her to a bigger building beside Heechul’s house. It was probably like a big dorm for  all gisaeng in Petal House. The building seemed empty at the moment. Sungmin wondered why. She was also curious why Heechul lived in a different house.

 

Hyoyeon seemed like reading her mind, “If you want to know why this building looks empty. All the gisaengs here go to their hometown. Heenim has given them some days off before preparing for the Royal Dance Competition in the Gyeongbok Palace next month. Geez, that artificial , sometimes acts like a pimp to us, but sometimes he acts like a caring person, fufufu…” She chuckled.

 

Finally, they reached the dressing room. Sunkyu followed them behind while Donghae and Siwon waited them outside the building. The room was not as big as her own dressing room, but it was filled with a lot of types of hanbok in different colors and styles. Sungmin did have a lot of hanbok, but mostly they were only filled by Hwangwonsam (everyday clothes for queen) for formal occasions. So she didn’t have modificated hanbok like commoners used.

 

Hyoyeon showed them some of hanbok, “Which color do you like the most, Agashi?”

 

Sunkyu didn’t let Sungmin to choose by herself. She touched some fabric from those clothes, looked disappointed, “This isn’t 100% silk. Min agashi never wear this kind of stuff,” She said bluntly. Sungmin, who sat beside Sunkyu, elbowed the courtlady to warn her. Sunkyu turned to face her and whispered, “This is for your own good, Agashi

 

This chick. Hyoyeon thought and gritted her teeth, being ready to spit it out on Sunkyu, but heechul who stood on the door behind the latter prevented her. “Just let her wear the hanbok from that drawer, Hyoyeon.” He said, pointing to a certain drawer near the left corner of the room. 

 

Sungmin turned her head to look at the transgender gisaeng. This time instead of a woman hanbok, he wore an everyday casual clothes. He had a small bun on top of his head and the rest of his hair was left to be loosed on his back. From Sungmin's view, Heechul looked more manly than before, if she ignored his long hair and, of course, his face.

 

Hyoyeon tried to argue about her master's command, “But it…”

 

Heechul smirked and showed the jade ring he got for a moment and sent an eye signal to her.

 

They’re rich, so be more friendly.

 

Hyoyeon quickly understood and grinned to the older male, As you wish, Master!!

 

“Ehm...Ehm... Okay. I will show you some of our best clothes,She said before walking to the drawer.

 

“Huh, where is your bundled hair? Did you cut it?” Sunkyu asked.

 

Heechul scoffed to Sunkyu “Wow, are you from a palace or somewhere? You even don’t know about gache2? It’s a wig, Kid!” Heechul started to feel suspicious, “Honestly, where are you two coming from? You seem not know how folk fashion has been developed now.”

 

“Um…that…we..” Sunkyu didn’t have any clue to give a quick answer and was in silent for a moment. In the palace, all women still had a long braid hair, knotted neatly with a big hairpin. People from royal family usually had distinctive fashion out from general folk. Luckily, Hyoyeon switched the topic when discovered Heechul didn’t wear a hanbok anymore. “Heenim, why did you change your gisaeng clothes? Did you suppose to be at Mr. Soo’s house to perform with gayageum tonight?”

 

Heechul shrugged, “No. It is cancelled because he had to attend a banquet at The Gyeongbok Palace. Besides, I have another special customer,” He glanced to Sungmin with a smile. “Have you picked your choice already?” He came close behind Sungmin, trying to help her choosing the clothes. She could feel his chest on her back and also his breath on her left shoulder. She couldn't breath properly for a moment until..

 

“Oh here, I think this is good on you,” He said, before taking a pink hanbok with cherry blossoms motive on the upper garment. He gave it to Sunkyu, “Hey, your name is Sunsun, right? Help her to dress up to the changing room over there!” He pointed at the door at the right side of the room.

 

Sunkyu protested, “Excuse me!! We just meet and you're already ordering me around? And it’s Sunkyu for God’s sake, not Sunsun” Heechul rolled his eyes, “Whatever. And Sungmin-shi, if you don’t mind, Hyoyeon will help you to braid your hair prettily,” He said and smiled at her.

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

She walked out to the terrace of the Gisaeng’s dorm after Sunkyu dressed her. That was the first time she wore a cloth with flower motive on it. Cherry blossoms. Just like the nickname her brother Eunhyuk gave to her. Hyoyeon decorated her hair with a beautiful hair pin. She knotted them nicely. It felt like she hadn’t married yet because only a single woman who could have her hair knitted like that. After getting married, Jonseong woman was only allowed to use monotone braid round hair style.

 

She saw Siwon and Donghae were waiting for her. When they turned around, their mouth opened widely, seeing Sungmin's transformed look. They were amazed with her new appearance.

 

She is so cute. It will be cuter if she smiles right now. Donghae thought.

 

I hope Lord Eunhyuk can see this. Siwon thought.

 

The two males didn’t realize Heechul came between them and raised their chin with his both hands to close their opened mouths. “Yah!! Don’t drooling over here. Are you going to curse my Gisaeng's house by spitting on its ground?” He said jokingly.

 

Sungmin chuckled, seeing the scene in front of her. From her side, Sunkyu was eyeing her, didn’t believe what she had seen.

 

Min Mama …, you smiled !!!

 

Heechul came to approach her and offered a hand. She got hesitated for a moment. Heechul smiled to her, “Don’t be afraid. Trust me. I will show you how to have fun in my way”

 

Lee Sungmin is a woman with no fear. None will dare to raise their chin and look straight at her without her  permission. Almost everyone in the palace thought like that. But there she was, for the first time someone said, “Don’t be afraid,” Toward her. She knew whenever someone would lie to her. But from that gisaeng, she didn’t find any lie in his words.

 

She felt like being treated as a woman.

 

Not as a queen

 

Not as the Lee's family heiress who's feared by all

 

But as someone ordinary yet special...

 

Just like the way Kyuhyun treated Lady Seohyun.

 

For thirteen years of her life in Gyeongbok Palace. She didn't remember when was the last time her hand raised up for someone to hold. Neither with her husband. Neither with anyone.

 

Thus that day, her right hand was slowly raising up to be held by this stranger.

 

That gesture wasn't much, that smile was never worth anything, but for her, it felt like everything...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC

1Agashi : young lady

2Gache : the contemporary modificated wig for women in Jonseong Era with various braiding designs.



Thanks for commenting ^0^ !!! Thank you so much for waiting. This chapter is more like a transision to the main plot. Hope you won’t find it boring. I’ve added more character. Choi Seunghyun is Big Bang Top’s real name. He and Shinee Minho will also become another antagonist in this story (hope Big Bang and Shinee’s fan won’t mad at me XD ). I’ve made another poster too. Hope you like it ^^

Please comment again and tell me what you think ^^!!!!