Just Give Me Soju

The Mute Queen

 

"Woah!!! Who are you? Since when you get in here? Are you a ninja??" Donghae asked toward the stranger.

 

The stranger wore a black outfit with a sword in a black scabbard hanged behind his back. No need to ask whether he was a ninja or not per se as he didn't wear a mask at the moment. Thanks to the world didn't always run as far as Donghae's imagination went to.

 

Noticing the stranger had such a build body figure, with an extremely good looking face that rarely could be found in entire Jonseong, Heechul quickly fixed up his hair and cleared his throat "Ehm... ehm..., excuse me 'handsome’, what are you doing in someone's house? I thought a guest should come through a door not a window. And if you never learn how to knock someone's house, I can give you a special lesson with a low fee." He said with his female voice before winking an eye ily toward the stranger. The stranger couldn't help to have a red blushed drawn on his face and his ears by hearing the gisaeng's word.

 

His heart pumped crazily even though he already knew that Heechul was a man. He could remember how the latter's original voice was when he observed them talking with Sungmin earlier. But still, this person who dressed as a woman was no joke. Although in his mind, Sungmin was still the most beautiful woman in his life. He had to admit that this person was even prettier than most Jonseong women he ever met.

 

Maybe, it was his mere reflect, by watching a stranger pulled Sungmin into that tight hug which made he felt a sudden urge to show up immediately and saved Sungmin from the naughty yet unmannerly hand. He turned to Sungmin who stood beside him “Are you all right, Gong(junim)...?" Sungmin hurriedly closed his mouth with her palms to prevent him. She glanced at him, shaking her head as a sign to not call her 'Gongjunim’. Working since he was 10 years old with Lee family didn't make him to find it hard to know what Sungmin meant. She probably didn’t want her real identity to be known by the person before him.

 

"Do you know him, Sungmin-shi?" Heechul asked. Still with his female voice.

 

'Orabuni'

 

Sungmin said by moving her lip then grabbed Siwon's arm closely to her. Glad, Heechul quickly understood her if it's only one or two words.

 

"Ahh, so he is your brother" he said before offering his right hand to the man.

 

"No need to say thank you for saving your sister. What's your name?" Heechul asked.

 

For a moment, the man spaced out seeing Sungmin introduced him as her brother. He felt so happy for a moment. "Sir? Would you mind to let me know your name?" Heechul asked again. Sound a bit lost tempers. The man welcomed his hand "Siwon. My name is siwon. Thanks for saving my sister. We have to go home now. I am sorry for my harsh act earlier"

 

Sungmin pulled his right sleeve to make Siwon turned facing her. She shook her head as a sign she didn't want to go back yet. "But Gongju... I mean Sunkyu is really worried about you now". Sungmin pulled him toward the terrace of Heechul's room after taking a paper with a tint brush first.

 

"I... I ... think I have something to do in my kitchen. Donghae, please come out with me" Heechul said while pulling Donghae with him to get out from the room after noticing Sungmin and her 'handsome brother' needed a private talk. Donghae sighed. He knew when Heechul called him by his original name, it meant the older was in business mode. After closing the door, Heechul slowly attached one of his ear to the door, eavesdropping.

 

"Hyung, I thought you said you had something to do at the kitchen" Donghae protested. Heechul shushed him to shut up "Shhh...low your voice!! They will hear, Fish Brother. Geez, why can't I hear anything?"

 

Donghae rolled his eyes, "She's mute, Hyung. And probably that ninja is talking in whispering too"

 

Heechul sneered, "I know. You don't need to inform me. Just go to Hyoyeon now, tell her to prepare some clothes and mattress for Sungmin"

 

"Huh? Why are you so sure that she will stay overnight here?'

 

Heechul was eyeing the jade ring on his finger, "Well, my gorgeous intuition told me that she will stay. Otherwise, I have to hide this ring before she changes her mind"

 

Donghae shook his head, "How come you're so evil?"

 

Heechul gave him a facepalm, "What? In this world you should be evil to survive, Fishy. Beside, they look so rich. You also don't want this to be the last time you meet them right?" Donghae went silent for a second, then slowly agreed with Heechul. Yes, he really wanted to be friend with Sungmin and yet he found that ninja was quite interesting too. He wondered if the ninja could steal Heechul’s apples without making any sound. His head was very itching to know.

 

Meanwhile, at Heechul room’s terrace, Sungmin tried to convince Siwon that Heechul and Donghae were nice people. She wrote what she wanted to say to him.

 

Please trust me. I can take care of myself. Tell Sunkyu, that I am okay. Or you can let her come here. I think she needs some break too.

 

"But, Gongjunim. I heard people in Gyeongbok palace have been searching for you because an emissary from Ming really wants to meet you," informed her. Sungmin paused for a moment. She knew if it were about Ming, it would be a big deal for Jonseong. As a small yet  prosperous country, Jonseong had to manage well about their relationship with the neighboring countries, especially Ming.

 

Royal Council can let lady Seohyun handles it. She wrote. Remembering Lady Seohyun made her feeling to be bitter again, which made she wanted to be as far away as she could from Gyeongbok Palace. "I am sorry to say this but actually I heard Lady Seohyun couldn't distract the Ming emissary from wanting to meet you. She almost failed for dealing with him", Siwon said. Sungmin huffed. She felt a bit satisfied to hear the news, finding a rare flaw in 'The Perfect Seohyun'.

 

"Beside, King Cho..." He stopped for a moment. Seemed hesitant. Sungmin lifted her eyebrows. What?

 

"I heard he went to your pavilion to directly ask you to meet the Ming emissary"

 

Sungmin seemed to go deep in thought again. For the first time, she felt did not want to meet Kyuhyun. Maybe she still felt upset about Seohyun's pregnancy. She's not sure either. She took a paper again and wrote something. She let Siwon reading it once, then folded it neatly and told Siwon to give the paper to the Ming emissary.

 

"I understand, Gongjunim. I will bring Sunkyu after giving this letter to Gyeongbok Palace." He said before he meant to take a leave, but Sungmin grabbed his arm, signaling him to wait for a moment before she wrote another message.

 

Siwon, in the outside of the palace, especially when Heechul-shi and Donghae-shi around, please don’t call me Gongjunim anymore. Call me Sungmin only from now on.

 

Siwon got shocked. He read the message again to make sure that he wasn't hallucinating, "Gongjunim, I... I... can't do that. I..."

 

Sungmin shut him up by placing a finger on his lip.

 

Just try it

 

Sungmin stared at him. Siwon could see that Sungmin meant it by looking into her eyes. A bunch of happiness was ready to burst out from his chest. Sungmin. It's the name that he wanted deadly to say only God knew for how long. As for Sungmin, beside her brother, Lord Eunhyuk, only Sunkyu and Siwon were the people she really closed with. She wanted to treasure them. She didn't want to lose them like her brother.

 

"Sungmin," He finally said with the wide dimple smile of his.

 

She smiled back genuinely. It's for the first time she smiled like that for him. He felt more than happy as he didn't regret to be with Lee's family in his entire life.

 

 

~~~*SJ*~~~~

 

 

King Cho Kyuhyun together with his ministers gathered along with the Ming emissary, Lord Shin, to hold a banquet at  Manch'eon-Jeon (Hall of Ten Thousand Springs). The main kitchen court ladies had prepared all the best Jonseong cuisines.

 

“Hope you will like these, Lord Shin”, The King said toward the Ming emissary.

 

He caressed his long beard, “Thanks, Phea. I wonder when Queen Min will come here. I really want to meet her. Actually, my King is also curious about her. As you know, I don’t want to go back to Ming with an empty mouth”

 

“Don’t worry. I have sent my captain of the main royal bodyguards to pick up Queen Min,” The King said to assure the old man. 

 

Yet an hour has passed, and no sign of Queen Min arrived to the palace. The Ming emissary looked upset. He promised himself that he would make a hard time for Jonseong to make negotiation with him if he couldn’t meet Queen Min.

 

Finally, Captain Yonghwa arrived. From his worried expression, Kyuhyun could see that he probably brought a bad news.

 

Actually, while waiting at Sungmin’s pavilion back then, he thought a lot. He’s sure that the news about Seohyun’s pregnancy had reached Sungmin’s ears already. He didn’t want to believe that Sungmin could reject to meet the Ming emissary to get a revenge to him. He knew Sungmin wouldn’t act childish like that. But still, a slight of fear appeared in his mind as  how if Sungmin released her anger by neglecting Jonseong?

 

Captain Yonghwa bowed to him, then reported, “Phea, I have searched Queen Min in Lee’s resident but…”

 

“Please forgive me to interrupt!!!” Siwon who stood  at Manch'eon-Jeon’s door, cut captain Yonghwa's report. King Cho frowned, “Chief Siwon? I hope you bring Queen Min with you.” He said.

 

“I come here to give a Queen Min's message for Lord Shin”, He said then gave Sungmin’s letter to the Ming emissary. Behind him, court lady Dasom brought a bowl of soup and placed it on Lord Shin’s table.

 

In this long midwinter night
I will fold double,
And put it carefully
Under the blanket of the Spring Breeze.
At the night when my dear lover comes
I may unfold it with my whole heart.

 

 

Dear, My Lord Shin

I am sorry that I can’t meet you for the time being

Please don’t misunderstand

Here, I present you a tofu soup

It’s good for your health and warms your body

I know you’ve been tired because of a long journey

Hope you will like it

 

From Lee Sungmin

 

A genuine smile was slowly drawn on the Ming emissary's lip, “What a beautiful poem she wrote for an old man like me”. He took a spoon of the tofu soup to get a taste. His eyes grew wider while eating the food, “Hmmm, the seasoning isn’t so strong, but I feel my tired body getting relaxed in an instant. I like this soup. No need other foods. Please give me this again before I come back to Ming,” He said happily.

 

The tensed atmosphere slowly fading away as Lord Shin's mood became better. They held various conversations while drinking The Jonseong's best rice wine. Siwon also excused himself to leave, but Kyuhyun stood up from his seat and followed Siwon.

 

“Chief Siwon, can I know where Sungmin is and what she’s doing now?” He asked.

 

Siwon smiled widely at him for the first time in front of the King, “She’s having fun". Then the chief of Lee family soldiers left the king, dumbfounded.

 

Having fun? Is this kind of joke??

 

“Captain Yonghwa!!”

 

“Yes, Phea

 

“Find Queen Min and report to me what she’s doing tonight. Do it secretly. Don’t let anyone find out!! Follow Chief Siwon if it could lead you to her.” He commanded Captain Yonghwa.

 

“Yes, Phea.” Captain Yonghwa replied then excused himself to search the Queen that night.

 

Kyuhyun walked back to his seat where Lady Seohyun already had a seat beside him.

 

He sighed, “I told you to take a rest, Hyun”

 

“I am sorry Phea. I just want to give you some company. What’s wrong? You seem having a bad mood”

 

He bit his lower lip while thinking about what siwon said earlier.

 

“Never mind, just give me soju!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC


 

 



Thanks for waiting patiently guys ^^. I am sorry there is no heemin or kyumin moment here. I hope you still like this chapter though ^___^. Please don’t get tired for commenting and tell me what you think. Critic and suggestion are always accepted XD.