The Day After

He's a ert, and He Thinks I'm Gay

 

It must’ve been other bad dream because when I opened my eyes the next morning; everything seemed so vague – so distant. The sunlight leaked in through the curtains, smearing itself across the hospital room in thick lines.

 

My head throbbed; a blue-black was formed on the front of my head. Memories of last night flashed in my mind and my heart constricted again. It shouldn’t be Luhan that I saw, right?

 

The door slid opened and Lay stepped in. His eyes glinted when he saw me and a smile was formed on his face. I mimicked him, giving him a smile in return that I hope he wouldn’t thought of it as a crazy lunatic wanting to kill somebody – I look ghostly.

 

“Hey,” he greeted, pulling the side chair out and sitting beside me. “How are you?”

 

“Good.”

 

He smiled again and then checking his watch on his iPhone. “Wow, you’ve been sleeping for nearly a week. Impressive.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “Please, I think I’ve slept enough. Where are the other boys?”

 

“They are in school, having lessons.” Lay leaned in and whispered into my ear. “I played truant.”

 

I chuckled. “Since when did you become so naughty?”

 

“Since now.” Lay sighed and slumped his shoulders. His eyes looked sad and pitiful.

 

“So…” I began, trying to keep my voice stable. “How’s Luhan?”

 

Lay’s eye twitched. “He – “

 

“I bet he’s still flirting with other girls.” I said, sounding a little optimistic. “He hasn’t even visited me yet, right?”

 

Lay played with his fingers, afraid to look me in the eye. “Luhan went back to the US. His parents are going on a holiday with him after that traumatic incident.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“So I guess he won’t be back so soon.” Lay said.

 

I waved my hand dismissively at him. “I hope he won’t be back forever. He’s annoying, you know.”

 

Lay didn’t continue talking; he sits there, head hung low. “Okay, maybe I’ll miss him a bit so how do I contact him?”

 

“You can send emails to him every day. I’m sure he’ll read it since it’s from you. It’s better not to call him since he lost his phone during the match.”

 

“But what’s with the sudden holiday? Are you sure you’re not hiding anything from me?” I knew from inside out and inside my bones that Lay was definitely lying. But the other part of me insisted that I act dumb.

 

“His parents decision, not mine.” Lay placed a piece of paper on my hand. “He’s email address. Do write to him often, I bet he’s going to be lonely.” I clutched the paper tightly in my hands.

 

“When will he be back?”

 

Lay looked away again. “I don’t know. No one knows.”

 

~

 

 

A week later~

 

 

“Ahhhhhh JUNG EUN JI!!! WELCOME HOME!” Kim Bear squeezed me tight enough to have one or two of my bones to be broken. “I missed you, you, you, you~!!” she chanted in my ear.

 

“Relax, Kimmy. There are people watching, for your information.” She released me and crushed my cheeks instead.

 

“Your cheeks are soooooo sunken. You haven’t been eating well, haven’t you?” I flushed as she rubbed my cheeks with her hands.

 

“Geez, shtop itch.” I mumbled while she squeezed my cheeks.

 

Several guys around us laughed. Right. I forgot that the B.A.P Kingkas and the rest of the EXO guys are at my house. Yep. And in my bedroom.

 

“Wadduuppp!”

 

“Welcome back.”

 

“How are you, Eun Ji?”

 

“Noona, welcome home!”

 

They all greeted at once. “Woah, one by one please. Hey guys.” I grinned widely and then frowned at them. “What are you guys doing at my place? Shooo go to the living and wait while I dress up.”

 

“Awww, naw, we’ll stay here and keep watch. You don’t have to travel down.” Zelo, the playful kid said and earned a spank from Jongup.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll go down and wait for you. Do take your time.” Yongguk said.

 

I smiled sheepishly, didn’t know what to say.

 

“Yeah, we’ll be downstairs waiting.” Lay and the rest followed them down whereas Kimmy decided to stay.

 

“So spill the beans, girl, what happened between you and Luhan?” Kimmy asked while I was choosing a pair of jeans and top to dress on.

 

“Nothing. I don’t know where he went.”

 

“Don’t’ lie! The entire school is spreading some news saying you ditched him and he’s now in the US and he won’t be back forever!”

 

I undressed behind Kimmy, and put on my comfortable shirt and pants. “Like I said, I don’t know what’s going on.”

 

“I tried contacting him via phone, though. It seems like they’ve cut all the ties they have in Korea and MIA-ing. This is weird, Eun Ji –ah, we need to investigate!” Kim Bear jumped on my bed, tossing my favourite bunny soft toy against the wall.

 

“Yah! That’s my bunny!”

 

“Aww, don’t be a sissy.”

 

“I am a girl and get off my bed! You’re not clean!” I laughed and yelled at her like a mother, although I didn’t mean it. Kim Bear stepped out of my bed and sat on my dressing chair, arranging her hair neatly in place.

 

“So, what are you going to do now?”

 

“What else? School, like duh.”

 

She rolled her eyes. “I mean what are you going to do with him?”

 

I faced the mirror, making eye contact with Kim Bear. “What do you think I should do?”

 

“Go to the US and find him?”

 

I laughed and knocked her head. “You’re crazy.”

 

“Not as crazy as you. I know you love him already.” She said. “Don’t lie.”

 

“I do not.”

 

“Lies. You’re worried that something might’ve happened to Luhan. You’re scared. Frightened. And finally you miss him.” Kimberly stood up dramatically and placed her palms on my shoulders. “Admit it.”

 

“I –“

 

“Go on, say it.” She stared at me earnestly but I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

 

“I don’t miss him at all. You’re wrong.” I pushed her hands away; guilt stabbed me as I saw her face filled with sadness. My eyes softened.

 

“I – I’m so sorry – ”  I reached out to her but she slapped my hands away, harsher than I’d expected. Great, I made my best friend angry.

 

“No, don’t even say it. You don’t know what’s good for you, Jung Eun Ji. I’m leaving.”

 

 I watched as she barged out of my room and as usual, I was too tired to even chase her and sort things out. I need a breather and a break.

 

~