Explanation

Guts

Hyerin stepped out of the black Honda once one of the guards opened the door for her and Chen.

They led them to the main quarters, which was a massive and oddly structured building that had tinted bulletproof glass as walls. The architecture looked like a giant black cube tilted to the side as if it was going to fall to the ground. At the very top of the skyscraper in huge, italicized letters was M-LX.

They walked to the entrance, though entering the premises took quite a while because of heavy security measures they had to go through. When they finally got through, they were escorted by a new set of guards to the elevator.

The interior was as chic and modern as the assemble – black and white furniture and bizarre-looking electronics Hyerin had never seen before in her life. People were dressed like aristocrats as they sauntered to their designated work areas silently.

Chen looked around anxiously before catching up to her, clutching her arm. “I don't think this is a very good idea, Hyerin.” He would have never known her name if Agent Zero didn't mention it earlier.

“For you it isn't, but for me it is,” she said, not giving him a glance as they entered the elevator.

“What if...what if this is a trap? What if they aren’t really going to help?” He casted a worried glance at the elevator’s closing doors. “Why did you even say yes?” he asked in a quieter voice. “We have no weapons or anything at all to protect us.”

“Because I can kill each and every man in this elevator if I wanted to,” she said in an intentionally loud voice before giving Chen a skeptical look. “If you're so worried, why did you come along then? I told you that you didn't have to.”

Chen frowned at her, then sighed and folded his arms. “I don't know. I just can't leave you alone like that.”

She looked up at him. She was very grateful for what he did for her, but she was absolutely capable of taking care of herself.

“Thanks,” she said nonetheless. He nodded in return.

Once the elevator dinged open, they were led to another narrow hallway. Hyerin couldn't count how many corners they turned, but she was sure if she were to go through all this again by herself, it would take hours for her to find a way out.

They walked further down to the very end of the corridor, where a single glass door with a keypad next to it can be found. One of the guards punched in the code and a rectangular LED screen appeared above the keypad. It produced a red streak of light that scanned the guard from head-to-toe for identification.

After a few seconds, the glass door slid upwards and they entered the room.

 

It was a fairly large hexagonal office with a long table in the center, numerous LED screens on the walls that showed incomprehensible codes and blueprints of eccentric-looking devices. Chairs were situated around the glass table, and at the very end of it was no other than Agent Zero.

They were ushered further inside and made to sit on each side of the man.

“I owe you both an apology for what happened,” he started, his tone of voice softer than earlier, “and also an explanation.” His eyes turned to Hyerin.

She in a huge breath. “I'm confused,” she admitted. “I have no idea what this is all about.”

“Firstly, I must break down to you this organization.” He clasped his hands together. “We are M-LX, a confidential system that deals with extreme and dangerous situations that occur in our country from unknown regions. We handle cases that require advanced technology to detect, manage, and obliterate anything that disrupts the country. You can say we are an improved and much more developed version of the CIA1 or whatever armed forces they can offer.”

“So are you a secret unit under the government?” Chen asked, fiddling with his thumbs.

“The government has no knowledge of this organization whatsoever,” he answered. Chen gulped. That made him even more nervous.

“You may be wondering how we knew your exact location and why we appeared out of nowhere,” Agent Zero continued. “It is because we have been keeping tabs on you, Ms. Kim.”

Hyerin frowned, not exactly delighted with the fact that she was being watched without her knowledge. “Am I some kind of special case to have you keep track of what I've been up to?”

Agent Zero looked down on the table silently – and somewhat remorsefully – before pulling out something from his pocket. He slid it on the table, right in front of them.

Hyerin's stomach dropped. She picked up the wallet-size photograph of her mother. She looked at it, then up at Agent Zero. “How-”

“Your mother was a strong-willed woman,” he said softly. “She was a big loss to M-LX.”

Hyerin felt a sinking feeling in her chest. “What are you talking about? Are you saying she's-”

“Yes, she worked for us.” He nodded. “Even before you were born, she had been serving this unit. Hana made her way up to a very high position and led a few missions herself.”

He sighed, finally looking up. “But that was also the cause of her death. It was during her last assignment, when you were still fourteen.”

Hyerin clenched her fists under the table. “Yeah, I found her in an alley,” she said while Chen remained silent, baffled with what he was hearing.

“Yes. You did,” he said, voice laced with pity. She hated it.

“So my mom was an agent. All this time she told me she was working in logistics for a trucking company or something.” She felt betrayed, but she knew her mother had her reasons. “I still don't get why I'm involved in all of this.”

Zero nodded at one of the agents. The latter approached their table and handed him a folder. “You're involved in this because your mother wanted you to be,” he said. “That last mission she had? It was one of the most dangerous. We didn't want her to do it, but most agreed that she was fit for the assignment. Plus, she insisted.” He shook his head in dismay. “Then one day, she talked to me about something,” he said, remembering that conversation like it was just yesterday.

 

Agent Zero crossed his arms in front of his chest, looking at Lee Hana with worry. “Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked, though he knew perfectly well what her answer would be.

The raven-haired beauty rolled her eyes. “Do you not have faith in me, Agent?”

He sighed. “I do. But you don't know how dangerous this could be. Their power—it’s unknown.”

“And I'm about to find out,” she said with determination.

“You'll die.”

“I'll die with dignity.

“You have a daughter to come home to, Hana.”

She didn't budge. “My ex-husband will take her in,” she said. “And that's actually what I want to talk to you about.”

Agent Zero narrowed his eyes at the woman in front of him. “What?”

“Hyerin. She's an excellent fighter. Not only that, she's smart and very skilled in a lot of things,” she started. “She's different.”

He nodded slowly, not understanding why she was telling him this.

Hana smiled softly. “Daesuk,” she said, surprising him with the use of his real name. “When Hyerin turns seventeen, I want her to be a part of this. I want you to take her in-”

“Absolutely not, Hana,” he said sternly. “I will not let a mere child be involved in this-”

“She's different, Daesuk, and she has the capability to replace me if I ever will die!” she pressed. “I just know it. She's going to be someone important. She may be the one who can stop all these tragedies from happening. I'm telling you, you will need her. She's meant for this.”

Agent Zero stared at her in disbelief. “How can you be so sure?”

Her eyes didn’t waver from his. “Because I'm her mother. Trust me on this one, Daesuk. I know what I'm talking about.” And just like that, just the way she said those word, Zero was convinced.

She reached out for his hand and squeezed it tightly. It was so familiar—an old friend’s touch. “Hyerin is strong and I can't see anyone else taking over my position other than her. So please, just do this for me and M-LX.”

 

When Agent Zero finished explaining, Hyerin was in the brink of tears. Although out of what, she didn't know.

“Up to this day, I am still not sure about this. I don't want you to be in any kind of harm, Hyerin,” he said, losing his authoritative tone and instead left with something soft, something almost personal. “I don't want you to end up like your mother.” 

Hyerin looked up at him. He meant that. She could tell. “She wanted me to take over her position.”

Agent Zero nodded once. “Yes.”

Hyerin took a deep breath. The amount of trust her mother had for her was so overwhelming she felt like she was suffocating. She needed time to let it all sink in. “I-I...”

Agent Zero leaned in. “Hyerin, I want you to think about this carefully. You're just a child, and this is a very, very serious matter,” he said. “The decision is all up to you.”

Hyerin looked away. “What's the mission?”

“You will know once you have made up your mind.”

She bit her lip and nodded her head. “Okay.”

“It is settled then,” he said, standing up from his seat. “Tuesday. After school. I will send my agents to pick you up and bring you here to talk about your decision.”

“Sure, I'll see you then,” she said quietly.

Agent Zero shook hands with Chen. He then stuck out his arm to her. “Be wise.”

Hyerin looked down at the outstretched arm and then at his gaze. She nodded her head and grasped his hand firmly. “I will.”