Wimp

Guts

“Get up, heads!” Xiumin exclaimed, shaking Lay awake, who was his designated roommate,  before exiting their shared bedroom. “Get up, get up, get up!” He marched his way towards the other rooms and did the same thing to the other boys as he did with Lay.

“Shut up!” Baekhyun yelled from his and Luhan’s room, about to bury his head under the covers when he decided to check the time first. He groaned. “For ’s sake it’s only six in the morning! Jesus!”

“Man, you are way too loud,” Chen grumbled as he walked out of his bedroom.

“Don’t whine! You should thank me for waking you guys up since there’s breakfast,” he said, about to go down the stairs when he passed by the mirror. He stopped in front of it and angled his face slightly. “Aren’t I good looking in the morning?”

From behind, Kris and Suho, who were already dressed in their school uniform, ushered the older boy to go down the stairs already.

Suho sighed. “Don't be vain, Xiumin. Get to the kitchen already.”

“Really, there’s nothing to be vain about you,” Kris scowled.

Xiumin considered punching the tall one in the nuts but resorted to just heading towards the kitchen.

“Everyone get your asses up! There’s breakfast! Food, you guys!” he yelled one last time before going down the stairs.

By the sound of food, everyone had finally gotten the energy to get up and go down to the kitchen. The smell of bacon and fresh brewed coffee greeted them as soon as they walked in.

“ing Xiumin is so ing noisy in the ing morning,” Kai groaned as he entered the dining room. He plopped himself on a seat, leaned back and closed his eyes.

“I thought there was a fire.” Sehun scratched the top of his head grogilly. “Stupid Xiumin.”

“Hey.” Xiumin shrugged, sitting beside Luhan who was also already dressed for school. “Just doing you all a favor. Everybody loves breakfast.”

“I have to admit, that does smell delicious,” Suho commented.

“I’m so hungry now.”

“I need my coffee.”

“Who’s cooking anyway?”

After a few moments, the one who was behind it all came out of the kitchen. Everyone gawked at him in shock - he was the last person they would ever think to be up at this hour doing something he didn’t need to do.

“Breakfast is served, es,” Kyungsoo announced, placing two plates of sunny-side up on the table.

Everyone kept silent in their seats. They stared, dumbfounded, at Kyungsoo who was indifferently staring back.

“What?” he asked.

As if on cue, everyone laughed like there was no tomorrow. Kyungsoo looked at them with a perplexed expression while Tao appeared behind him, carrying two more plates of bacon, spam and hash browns.

“What’s so funny?” Tao asked curiously.

“D.O. cooks!?” Chanyeol burst out laughing, clutching his stomach. Sehun and Kai were awoken from their sleep-deprived minds and even Lay, Kris, and Chen were laughing.

“I can’t ing breathe,” Kai laughed, pounding his fist on the table.

“Hey, hey, cut it out! I think it’s very manly of him,” Xiumin defended, although the mischievousness was still present in his tone. “Isn’t that right, D.O.?”

“Whatever.” He shrugged, not thinking much about it. They can laugh all they want, but wait until they actually taste what he made. “Anyone want coffee?”

“Me," Baekhyun, Kris, Suho, Chen, and Lay said in unison.

“Alright. Dig in."

And dig in they did.

“Oh, wow,” Chanyeol said from the first bite.

“D.O. cooked this?” Baekhyun asked in bewilderment.

“This is delicious.” Suho nodded, stunned.

“It actually tastes like legit food,” Luhan added.

Kyungsoo pushed the kitchen door with his back, returning with coffee. “What the hell did you expect? Rice and soy sauce or something?” he scoffed, sitting himself beside Chen.

“I don’t know, seeing that you’re a guy…like a manly guy, I never really expected this.” Chanyeol shrugged, the corners of his mouth decorated with ketchup. The others seemed like they couldn’t stop devouring the food, too.

Kyungsoo glared at him. “I bet you anything I’m a better cook than the majority of the female population in Yeongnam.”

“Well, don’t be cocky now,” Xiumin teased. Everyone chuckled.

Once everyone finally quieted down to settle and eat, Suho cleared his throat. “So what do you guys think? How’s the first night?”

“Amazing,” Tao said, pouring himself some orange juice.

“The toilet has these strange buttons,” Chanyeol mumbled.

“I slept like a baby,” Kai added.

“It’s fun to try out the fancy stuff they have here,” Kyungsoo commented, passing the coffee to Lay. “The coffee maker freakin’ talks. I guess I’ll be spending most of my time in the kitchen from now on.”

Kai looked at him weirdly. “I don’t think I can get used to you going all master chef in this household, D.O.”

“You guys are s! Just because of my reputation at school you all think I’m incapable of doing other things?” Kyungsoo exclaimed while the others sniggered.

“Well if you’re going to be quality cooking like this every day then I’m really not complaining,” Kris said, wiping the sides of his mouth with a table napkin.

“This is why we should all be more aware of each other and get to know each other's personalities even better,” Suho said, sipping from his mug. When he got the others’ attention, he set his cup down on the table.

“I know I’m in no place to be implementing this kind of thing amongst us, but this is for the best. From now on, I want us to treat each other like brothers. If Agent M thinks of us as his own children, then the least we can do is return the favor and get along with each other even more. So,” he trailed off, giving them a small smile. “I hope that’s not too much to ask.”

Everyone looked around the table, and what they didn’t realize was that they were already forming a special bond. Unconsciously, they were already getting closer day by day.

“I agree,” Lay spoke up. “A strong bond can overcome anything.”

The boys exchanged meaningful glances with each other while Suho squeezed the healer’s shoulder affectionately.

---

“So are you going to tell me anything about that day?”

Agent Zero sighed wearily as he leaned back against his leather chair. This was the second time the girl came by his office without an advanced notice and at such an ungodly hour, too. He wondered what was it with her and weekday mornings.

“Well?” she drawled on.

The senior let out a sigh once again. “Pardon me, but what day are you exactly talking about again?”

“The day we first met. When I was with Chen. When I was attacked,” she said.

“Well,” he swung his rolling chair from side to side as he thought about it, “from the day we found you, we haven’t really gotten much.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“As you know, we have your kidnapper imprisoned,” he started. “We have been questioning him about his identity, who sent him, where he came from, but he refuses to speak. We tried getting information on him, but nothing really came up. We have also used numerous ways to talk him into telling the truth, but he never budges."

He shook his head tiredly. “The only thing we found out though, is that having eye contact with him can bring you to a certain level of hypnosis. Not anything big, but it is enough to make you space out for a couple of seconds. He has tried to escape using that tactic. Other than that, he’s pretty much a mystery to us.”

Hyerin nodded and rubbed her chin thoughtfully. She remembered her encounter with that man and how she dazed out in the middle of their fight. So that was what it was. “Let me go talk to him then.”

Agent M stared at her with a stern look. “Absolutely not.”

“Why not? I have the right to question his intentions. I was the target after all.”

No. That is final. I’m sure your father would be saying the same thing,” he said in a firm tone. “Why do you want to know anyway? He will never tell you anything that he hasn’t told us yet.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Oh, I know.”

She ran a frustrated hand through her long black hair. “Lately, I’ve been feeling...restless. I don’t like it. I don’t like the feeling of being in danger and not knowing what’s after me. I need to know. They may not be doing anything right now, but when the time comes that they do, I want my to be together. Do you get what I’m saying?”

“I get what you’re saying.”

“So then let me talk to him.”

Agent Zero shook his head. “I really can’t allow that, Hyerin, and we both know it’s for your own good. Don’t you think you would be more frustrated once you don’t get anything out of him?”

Hyerin let out a sigh. There was no point in talking to Agent Zero. Of course he wouldn’t let her do anything risky. Here she was, finally ready to face her captor except now she couldn’t get herself to where he was.

“Fine.” She shrugged. “But can you at least tell me if you get something out of him?”

“I will gladly do so.” He nodded. “I’m happy that you understand the situation, Hyerin, and that you are leaving this as it is.”

“Of course.” Hyerin turned around to leave, so he was unable to see the smirk on her face. “I completely understand.”

---

Hyerin grabbed her gym shirt from her locker inside the women’s changing room and looked toward the empty aisle. She went to M-LX before heading to school so she had arrived earlier than usual and was earliest to get to first period, which was P.E. She savored the moment of silence, as it was a rare occasion for any place in this school to be quiet.

Unfortunately, she spoke too soon as a flock of loud girls barged inside the locker room.

Suddenly, their loud voices turned into hushed tones, and before Hyerin could even speculate anything, they were already staring directly at her.

She wasn’t surprised. It had been days now since the same group of girls continuously gave her dirty looks, something she did not appreciate very much. Some of them were in her classes. She knew because every period she had, she always felt someone glaring daggers her way. Not only that, but even during breaks, their little clique would be whispering amongst themselves and staring at her, like what they were doing at this very moment.

Having the last straw, Hyerin took off her uniform and slipped on her shirt and gym shorts. She took her sneakers and towel before closing her locker shut and making her way towards them.

“Hi,” she greeted with a smile on her face, sitting down on a bench near where the group was standing.

Hyeseul - the leader, Hyerin was assuming - quirked an eyebrow at her. “Hello,” she said flatly.

Hyerin bent down to slip on her shoes. “How’s it going?”

“What do you want, ?” Hara, Hyeseul’s best friend, blurted out carelessly. Hyeseul slapped the girl’s arm for her impulsiveness.

Hyerin looked up from tying her shoes and stood up. “Well. May I know why I suddenly got called such a name?”

Hyeseul rolled her eyes. “Please. Everyone in this school thinks you’re a . I’m surprised you yourself haven’t heard of your new nickname.”

Hyerin squinted at her. “That’s funny, I don’t remember sleeping around with a bunch of guys. Are you sure you’re not mixing up your title with mine?”

“!”

“Again, are you sure you’re not mixing up your title with mine?”

Out of fury, Hyeseul pushed Hyerin by the shoulder, making her stumble back slightly.

“You better stop acting like a smart or I will ing punch you.”

Hyerin stared at her, unfazed. If only this girl knew that she could probably break several of her bones in one punch. “Let’s see you try some time.”

“You know, it would have been easier for you if you followed our instructions to stay away.”

“So that really was you who stole my things, then.”

“Damn straight!” Hara said from behind Hyeseul. The latter glared at her for a split second before continuing with her intimidation.

“So if you think I’m going to let you continue to waste the boys’ time, you’re mistaken. If you know what’s good for you, then get the away.”

Hyerin scratched her head wearily and leaned back against the lockers. “Seriously, what is with you and them? What’s the big deal? Why are they so important to you?”

“Well it isn’t such a pleasant sight to see your ex flirting with some nobody, is it?” Hyeseul retorted.

Hyerin stopped to think for a moment. First of all, did this girl actually think she had some kind of status in this school to call her a nobody? And secondly, ex? Who the hell would date this tool? “And who is this ex you are talking about?”

Hyeseul scoffed as if it was the dumbest question she'd ever heard. “Are you stupid? You really don’t know?”

“Would I even care to ask if I knew?”

Hyeseul shook her head in disbelief before leaning in to whisper in Hyerin’s ear. “The one and only Kim Jongin, of course.”

---

Saying that she was furious was an understatement. After the tiring day at school, she wondered why she had to put up with all this unnecessary stuff when all she needed to do was get good grades and eventually graduate. Why did gossiping and idiotic schoolgirls have to exist?

Wanting to get out of the house, she put on a coat and headed outside. She wanted fresh air to calm her mind.

Hyerin didn’t have a specific place in mind. All she needed was somewhere she could just be herself, somewhere she can just relax and feel normal, somewhere where she felt like the happy little kid she once was.

After thinking about it, she knew exactly where to go.

It took no more than a two-mile walk to get to the Bistro Café, the European restaurant that a certain friend’s family owned. Without hesitation, she stepped inside the romantic dimly lit place and looked around.

Hyerin scanned the area before her eyes landed on the bar. There stood her childhood friend in the middle of wiping wine glasses, clad in a black dress shirt and a dirty apron. She let out a breath and made her way towards him.

Lay looked up as the girl sat on the stool directly across from him behind the counter.

His eyes widened slightly. “Hyerin.”

“Hey,” she greeted, giving him a tentative smile.

His brows furrowed before his expression turned blasé once again. “What brings you here?” he asked.

She shrugged. Hyerin just wanted to feel like herself again, and maybe having Lay as a companion would give her a sense of that. “Well, since you said we could be friends again I just wanted to visit. Or am I unworthy of your presence, since you're one of the cool kinds now,” she teased, seeing that the boy changed a lot since the golden days when they were close as ever.

Lay smirked, going back to cleaning the glasses. “I don’t really care at this rate, even though you’re below the standards of people I usually talk to,” he said, playing along.

Hyerin glared at him playfully and he grinned. She rested her elbows on top of the wooden counter, feeling a bit more comfortable. “So are you allowed to serve alcohol?” she asked, looking around the place. It wasn’t that busy since it was only a Wednesday night. There were only a number of tables occupied and one middle-aged man sitting in the bar. “I mean, you’re underage.”

Lay cocked an eyebrow at her. “Are you forgetting that we own this place? I have the right to be whatever I want to be in here, of legal age or not,” he said, setting aside the clean utensils and proceeding to wipe the countertop.

She quirked an eyebrow. "Damn, okay," she chuckled, “If you were still that little gentle, nerdy wimp from before you would be too scared to serve anything to drunk people.”

“Well that gentle, nerdy wimp is pretty much gone now, isn't he?” he retorted. He put away the rag and folded his arms. “So can I offer you a drink? A vodka or appletini, perhaps?” he joked, face void of any kind of emotion.

Hyerin scrunched up her nose, smiling slightly as if she were thinking about it carefully. “Nah. I prefer beer,” she joked, shrugging. He did as well, before going to the backdoor and coming back with a bottle of Corona.

“Hey,” she said warningly. “You’re serious about this?”

“Why not? You asked for it,” he said, popping the cap off and sliding the bottle towards her. “This is my restaurant.”

Hyerin laughed out loud before taking the beer in her hands. At this point she really didn’t care. “Okay then. No one has to know,” she said before taking a sip.

Lay watched thoughtfully as she cringed at the taste of the beverage. He shook his head as he found himself expecting her to do exactly that. “Seriously, what brings you here?” he asked.

After setting down the bottle on the counter, she looked at him quizzically. “What do you mean?”

“Oh, please,” he scoffed.

Hyerin planned to deny anything he insisted, but Lay knew how she was. It may be years since they last got together, but it wasn’t like there was anything about her that drastically changed. She was still the same on the inside, after all.

She bit the insides of her cheek and stared at the bottle in her hands. “I guess I have things on my mind that I need to get away from, ” she muttered, idly scraping the label off with her thumb.

“Like?”

She purposely avoided the topic of the angry, psychotic schoolgirls who picked a fight with her earlier at school. “I talked to Agent Zero before coming to school and they still haven’t gotten anything out of that kidnapper. He tells me not to worry, but how can that be possible when someone wanted to kidnap you?” she started. “I really want to know what they want from me. I want to know what I have that they want. Although it only happened once, who knows when’s the next time this will happen again?”

Lay rested his arms on top of the counter. “And you’re scared.” It wasn’t a question.

“I don’t…think so,” she mumbled uncertainly. “I mean, how do you even feel scared? I honestly don’t know how that feels. At least, feel it in a strong legitimate way. I don’t think I’ve ever felt scared to an extent where I lost my cool.”

“What about when your mom died?”

Hyerin smirked. Only Lay had the balls to be straightforward about her dead mom. “Rather than being scared I felt upset and angry,” she said. “But I’ve never felt scared for anyone or felt afraid of losing a person.”

He nodded. “But eventually you will.”

Her eyebrows knitted together, her eyes fixed on the beer bottle. “But I don’t want to.”

“You need to,” he sighed. “What is life for if you don’t have something you’re scared of losing?”

Hyerin fell silent. She never thought about complex things like that. Why would she even bother if she couldn’t understand the concept of it anyway?

As she peeled off the paper on the bottle, her eyes darted down on Lay’s exposed forearms. The sleeves of his dress shirt were rolled up to his elbows, and she notices a few black spots on his skin.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she looked up at Lay. “What’s up with your arm?” she asked.

Giving her a questioning glance, he looked down on his arms. As if surprised by the sight of the bruises too, he cursed under his breath and rolled down his sleeves. Something was very off.

“What’s wrong, Lay?” When he said it was nothing, she grabbed his hand and pulled it towards her. She pushed the sleeves all the way up and saw numerous scars and purple bruises.

“Oh my god,” she whispered in disbelief.

The boy slowly retrieved his arm before sighing. “It was from our first mission. It hasn’t healed properly yet.”

“What the hell, Lay? That was a week ago! You have your powers for a reason.” she angrily whispered.

“I…can’t,” he said, trying to keep his straight face. “My power drains out if I heal too much people at the same time. When I healed the twelve of you, I was too weak to heal myself after, so I resorted to the traditional way. It’s been over a week and I’m slowly recovering my powers, but it’s not a big deal. Just forget about it.” He looked away. “That day, you all had it much worse anyway.”

Hyerin bit her lower lip, an attempt to keep herself from getting angry at him. She knew he was only saying these words to make her stop doting on him, but who knew how many more of those bruises he had?

She inhaled through her nose to keep her composure before jumping out of her seat and wrapping her arms around Lay across the bar.

“You’re too nice,” she said, taking in the familiar scent of the boy. “Next time when this happens again, I’ll be the one to help you with those wounds, alright?” She squeezed him tighter, ignoring the customers staring at them curiously.

Lay’s expression softened as he hugged her back. “By now, I’m starting to think you’re the one who turned into a gentle little wimp,” he quietly said.

She sighed. "I know."