(Luhan) Log 20

Silver Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The air becomes warm. As the days progress, the soft snow forms into a long patch of packed ice. Nature struggles to break through its wintery constraints as the beaming sun aids in its goal to reach the warm light. The wind becomes less chilly, and the birds return to inhabit the homes they had left behind. The snow melts away, turning the ground into a puddle of mud. My snowman melts away, as well, and I watch it every day as it begins its slow formation into water. When all that is left is a pitiful hill of stubborn ice, I take the remains of Snow and wipe them off of the front stoop.

“Are you sad that Snow is gone?” Emer once asked me.

“No,” I replied. “Because it will snow again.”

But it doesn’t snow anymore. Spring has come to chase the frost away, leaving behind too much water and too much trodden ground. The new flowers that begin to bloom are pretty, but I miss the snow. I wanted Emer and I to spend time together.

Early in the morning, I start making Emer’s hot chocolate. I don’t know when she will be up, but I’ve decided to create it and keep it warm until she is ready to drink it. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, and when I turn my head to see whose it is, Emer’s mother greets me.

“Hey, Luhan,” she says. “What are you doing?”

“I’m making hot chocolate,” I tell her.

“Could you make two? That would be great,” she requests, and I nod. She goes back to the bottom of the stairs and yells, “Emer! Wake up! I don’t want to be late.” She returns to the kitchen and sits down at the table as I finish the drinks. Emer comes to the kitchen after a few minutes, dressed in formal gray attire. “Look,” her mother says as Emer sits down across from her. “Luhan is making hot chocolate.”

“I know. He does that all the time,” she shrugs. I pour the hot chocolate into two mugs and give it to them. When Emer’s mother tries the drink for the first time, she smacks her lips in contentment.

“What did he put in this?” She leans in to whisper to Emer.

“It’s a secret,” Emer replies, but she spares a moment to wink at me. “Luhan. We’re going to be out for today.”

“Oh, I forgot to tell him,” her mother says. She turns to me. “I’m taking Emer to the Government offices to show her around. A sort of preview to what her workplace will be like once she gets the job.”

“You don’t even know if I’m going to pass the test, mom,” Emer sighs.

“You will,” her mother murmurs. “I know you will.”

Emer clenches her jaw but doesn’t reply as her mother curls her fingers around the body of the mug.

“Emer will be coming home by herself,” her mother continues to speak to me, “so please have dinner ready.” She finishes her drink and stands up. “Are you ready?”

“Yep,” Emer replies as she, too, stands up. Emer grabs her things as her mother heads out of the door. Before Emer leaves the house, she looks back at me and smiles. “See you later, Luhan,” she waves. I lift a hand to wave back at her, but her mother has already closed the door, and Emer does not see it.

Turning to the table, I gather their empty cups and put them into the sink. I have just finished cleaning when the phone rings. I move away from the sink to answer the call and welcome, “This is 2nd Generation Exon, Luhan.”

“Hi Luhan!” Hara shouts. “I just saw Emer and her mom leave the house. Why don’t you come to the Market with me and Sehun?”

I hesitate. “But Emer – “

“Doesn’t have to know,” she fills in. “You could always get her something. To alleviate the guilt. Be independent, Luhan! You can do that, can’t you? I’m coming over. Wait for us,” and before I can reply, she hangs up. I wait to hear the dial tone before I return the phone to the counter.

‘You could always get her something.’

Did Hara mean … a gift? For Emer? From me? I’ve never done that before. I’ve never given her anything. Does making pancakes count?

I’m uncomfortable with the notion, but when I remember my conversation with Sehun that time at the library, my doubts escape. Emer is more important than my unease. I can’t focus on the negatives.

When the doorbell rings, I rush to open the front door. I see Hara standing on the stoop with an excited smile on her face. Behind her, Sehun stands with her purse slung around his shoulder. “Ready?” Hara asks me. I give the kitchen one last look and leave behind any lingering doubts I have about this journey. Then, I close the door and follow her to the trains.

The Market is not as busy as it was the last time I was here. While the shops are open, few stalls have been set up to greet the morning. There are very little customers browsing the area, making the atmosphere less compact and more liberating. My gaze moves from observing the city to noticing Hara. Her hand has found its way through Sehun’s fingers.

“Let’s go over here,” Hara suggests when she sees a floral shop. Sehun pulls the door open for her, and for a brief moment, their hands break away. When Hara and I go inside the store, Sehun reaches for Hara’s hand, and once more, their fingers are locked.

I don’t know why, but that mere action makes me surreally happy.

“Look at this!” Hara says. She points to a bouquet of red roses standing on a glass table. “Do you think I should get this, Sehun? Would this look good?”

“Don’t buy red,” Sehun replies. “Red is standard.” He looks around the shop and points to another bouquet. These roses are white, and the ends of their petals are tinged with a faint color of peach. “What about th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter