Glasses Freak

Scarlet Necklace

In a flash, it was already the morning of the first day of a new semester. Yejin studied, screamed over how gorgeous B.A.P was, spent time with Minji and Hyosung and went out with Baekhyun. The money they won at the contest was split in half after they treated themselves to an expensive lunch. She was half excited but half dreading school tomorrow. Half of her wanted to meet all her friends and classmates again, but the other half didn't want to meet those stupid people she called schoolmates. Especially with her new glasses on.

"Oh my god. Yejin is that you?" Minji questioned with wide eyes. Yejin sighed and lowered her head while Kai set a new record for the biggest mouth ever. There was a few seconds of awkward silence before everyone burst into wild laughter. Even Baekhyun was laughing like he didn't mind getting his kicked by his dear girlfriend later on.

"I hate you. I hate all of you," she grumbled bitterly, shooting each and every one of them a murderous glare.

"You don't even need to try to be funny, you whole face is a joke," Baekhyun announced between gasps of air and everyone cracked up again.

"I hate you the most!" Yejin sneered and kicked his shin.

"Ow! Hey!" His laughter immediately ceased as he rubbed his aching shin. "That wasn't nice."

Yejin folded her arms and raised an eyebrow.

"Don't do that you look more stupid," Kai snickered. Yejin made a move to hit him but was quickly held back by D.O.

"Hey now, only I can make fun of her," Baekhyun warned.

"Are you really sick of living?" She kept a straight face on.

"Okay, before there is one less Byun Baekhyun in this world, what the hell made you get glasses?" Suho questioned.

"I never wore contacts or glasses before and I have the eyesight of an old lady. My brother thought it was time to put a stop to my blindness and literally dragged me to the optical store and got me glasses," she explained, feeling a little self-conscious with all them staring at her like that.

"Why don't you wear contacts?" Sehun probed.

Yejin cringed. "I'm scared. But hey, if I'm not intelligent, the least I should do is at least look like I am."

"Good point," Hyosung nodded. They decided to stop making fun of Yejin before she really skinned them all alive. The bell for the first period rang and all of them dispersed to their respective classrooms. Baekhyun and Chanyeol entered theirs and sat at their usual seats. 

"Did you see Mrs Hong around? I think she didn't come today," Chanyeol said hopefully.

"I think I saw her somewhere on my way in. She probably did, there isn't a day where she doesn't come to school," Baekhyun reasoned, getting out his maths materials.

"Let's bet," Chanyeol grinned. "If you lose you have to go to Yejin's class and shout 'Yejin, I love you'."

"Are you that bored?" Baekhyun sighed and shook his head.

"Come on, just play along. Maybe you'll win," he shrugged.

"If I win, you have to do the same to your crush," Chanyeol silently agreed and they both kept their eyes on the door, waiting to see if it was really their math teacher or a substitute they could easily bully.

--

"Can you hurry up and go in? Before their teacher comes," Kai urged.

"I can't," Baekhyun groaned as the people who walked past the six boys squatting outside the classroom gave them weird looks.

"Just go already!" Suho snapped. "My legs hurt."

"Gramps," Sehun coughed, giving Kai a high five.

"Do you want to do the punishment instead?" Suho shot the youngest two death glares which immediately made them hush up.

"Okay, okay. I can do this," Baekhyun exhaled deeply and stood up. He took another deep breath before he burst into Yejin's classroom.

"Yejin, I love you!" He yelled and quickly ran off. All her classmates were stunned for a moment before they turned to her 'ooh-ed'. Yejin smiled shyly and looked down.

It was soon the students’ lunch break. Baekhyun waited outside her classroom, still unable to completely get over his prior embarrassment. Yejin made her way out first while Minji and Hyosung spoke to their subject teacher.

"Hey"

"Oh my god," Yejin flinched and her arms naturally flailed a little. "Seriously?"

"I didn't even do anything, it's not my fault you're so easily frightened," Baekhyun sulked.

"Whatever," Yejin mumbled and pushed up her drooping glasses.

"Are they too big?" Baekhyun asked.

"No," Yejin shook her head, making them slide down again.

"," he muttered, secretly smiling.

"Shut up," Yejin sniffed and rubbed her nose.

"Is it blocked?" 

"Mm," she nodded as they entered the cafeteria. The couple joined Suho and the others at the abnormally large table.

"I'll get you something soupy. Kimchi jjigae?" Baekhyun got up.

She shook her head. "Dumpling soup."

"Arasso," he squeezed her shoulder and left just as Minji and Hyosung arrived.

"Dude, are you sick or something? You were fine this morning, what happened?" Hyosung felt her forehead before sitting down. 

"I'm fine, it's just a blocked nose," Yejin smiled as Baekhyun arrived with her food.

"Eat more. Something hot will clear your nose, I think," he carefully handed her the bowl and spoon.

"Hot," Yejin in a sharp breath.

"Can you please eat like an adult," Baekhyun sighed and tucked her hair behind her ear.

"Sheesh, I'm sorry."

--

“Where’d Baekhyun go?” Yejin stopped Chanyeol who was walking out alone.

“Got caught passing letters back and forth with a.. Classmate,” he filled her in. “Probably still getting an earful for Ms. Kwon.”

“Oh,” Yejin nodded checked the time on her phone.

"Shall I wait with you?" He offered.

"No it's alright," Yejin smiled. "Bye bye."

"Bye dwarf!" Chanyeol chuckled and went off. 

"Stupid Park Chanyeol," her smile immediately disappeared. After a while, she spotted JR approaching.

“Waiting for Baekhyun?” He asked.

“Yeah,” Yejin nodded. “How was first day?”

“Nothing new,” he shrugged. “... Man, this is awkward.”

“I know right,” Yejin muttered and looked to the floor.

“I’m gonna go. See you tomorrow then,” JR smiled and held up his fist for a fist bump.

Yejin blinked and gently bumped her fist against his. “Bye!”

JR smiled and went off. From the opposite direction, Baekhyun was walking over with a female second year. They were talking pretty loudly so Yejin could hear a little of their conversation.

“I’m sorry I got you in trouble,” she said.

“It’s okay. Really,” Baekhyun assured her.

“I’ll buy you lunch to make up for it,” she offered.

“No really, it’s fine,” he said, getting a bit frustrated.

“A drink then?”

"It's okay."

“I'll contact you again,” she smiled and ran off. Baekhyun shook his head and waved Yejin over. She pushed herself off the lockers and trudged towards him. Baekhyun smiled brightly and slung an arm over her shoulder before they walked out of the school compounds. He felt that Yejin was oddly silent and wondered if it was because of the girl from before.

“You don’t have to send me home, y’know,” Yejin sounded fine to him.

“But I want to,” he assured her.

“Okay, up to you,” Yejin smiled and face the front.

“Aren’t you gonna ask me who she is?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

“Do you want me to?”

“I’ll just tell you. She’s Jung Hana, my classmate. Earlier this morning she made the both of us get caught by passing me a note, we got caught and she was trying to apologize. Don’t be mad,” Baekhyun poked her cheek. "You trust me, right?”

“That depends..” Yejin smiled playfully.

“Heeeey,” he pouted and pulled her closer. “Do you or do you not?”

“I do, I do,” Yejin rolled her eyes and they sat on the empty seats at the bus stop. “But I will slap a if she ever gets you in trouble again.”

“Really? Not because she was trying to take me out for lunch?” Baekhyun smirked.

“Both,” Yejin shrugged. “You scared me for a moment.”

“What did I do?”

“I thought you found me ugly 'cause of my stupid glasses,” she muttered. "I swear, one day, I'm gonna get over my fear of contacts and crush these glasses."

"It's not that bad," Baekhyun smiled.

"Stop trying to comfort me, you're making me feel even worse," she scowled and held up her palm. "But... For a secomd I thought you already got sick of me."

“Why would you think that?” Baekhyun asked softly.

“People always get sick of me quickly. When they do, they’ll just leave without a word.”

“I won’t. At least not anytime soon. You can trust me,” Baehyun leaned in and softly kissed her temple. Yejin felt giddy at his touch and bit her lip to hold back her smile.

“My bus is here, I can go home by myself. See you tomorrow,” Yejin stood up.

“Okay. Don’t get ,” Baekhyun teased.

“It’s broad daylight,” Yejin shot him a glare and boarded the bus.