My Soulmate is Here

Scarlet Necklace

 

“Good morning, Baekhyun,” a third year flashed a sweet flirty smile.

“Good morning,” Chanyeol cheekily replied. The girl shot him a weird look and Baekhyun burst into laughter.

“Oh you,” Suho rolled his eyes.

“Can’t help my popularity,” Chanyeol joked.

“Puh-lease,” D.O waved his hand.

“I was kidding,” Chanyeol grinned.

“I wonder what the new batch of first years are like,” Sehun said.

“Hopefully there’ll be some cuties,” Chanyeol smiled.

“Girl or guy?” Kai snickered.

Girls obviously!” Chanyeol scoffed.

“You guys go ahead, I have to stop by my locker,” Suho said.

“I have to go too,” Baekhyun raised his hand.

“Alright see ya later,” Chanyeol waved goodbye and headed off with the other three. Suho and Baekhyun’s lockers were apart so after walking a bit together, they separated. Baekhyun noticed a first year girl at the locker next to his. Figured, since the previous owner of that locker was last year’s third year that already graduated, so the new first years would take their lockers instead. Baekhyun didn’t pay much attention to her and opened his locker after keying in his combination. He hung his bag in front and took out the textbooks he wouldn’t need ‘til after lunch and put in the books he’d need for the periods before that. He shut his locker and went to look for the others.

“Excuse me? Sunbae!” Baekhyun turned when he felt a tap on his shoulder. It was the first year that had the locker beside him.

“What?” He blinked.

“You dropped this,” she held out his scarlet necklace. Baekhyun stared long and hard at it, waiting to see if it would light up, but it didn’t. “Is it not yours?”

“No, it’s mine. Thanks,” he took the necklace and went off.

So she’s not my soulmate.. 

Baekhyun put the necklace around his neck so he wouldn’t drop it again.

“Let’s see.. C-24, where are you?” Yejin muttered as she trudged down the busy hallway. She stopped abruptly when she found it and smiled widely. Yejin opened the locker and stuffed all the books she wouldn’t need just yet inside and went to look for her classroom. She found it on the second floor. Yejin decided to sit by the window that overlooked the school field somewhere at the back of the class. Quite a few of her new classmates were already settled in their seats and there was a pretty awkward silence since nobody knew each other well yet. After a while, the first bell rang and a teacher stepped in right on the dot, as if she was standing outside just to walk in as soon as the bell rings.

“Good morning, students,” she flashed a bright smile. “I’m Ms. Go.”

“Good morning, Ms. Go,” the class chorused.

“I’ll be taking attendance. Raise your hand when I call your name please,” Ms. Go held our a clipboard and began reading names off the register. The names were in alphabetical order so being a Kim, Yejin’s name wasn’t called ‘til somewhere in the middle.

“Now that we have the whole class present, I’m sure all of you know that we’ll be needing a class committee. This being your first day meeting, I wouldn’t expect you to know whether he or or she is a good leader and stuff like that. Also, because I need to submit the names of the class committee soon, I can’t give you guys too much time to get to know each other before electing a suitable class committee. You have a week to make your choices, here are the different positions. I’ll be holding a voting session sometime next week. Questions?”

Ms. Go took the silence as a ‘no’ and dismissed them for the next class. They had all their lessons in the same classrooms unless they had to go to the lab or anything special. It was soon lunch break. Yejin left the classroom worrying about spending break alone. She turned a dead corner only to lightly bump into someone.

“Sor— OW!” Yejin yelped when she pulled away from the person in front of her. “My hair, ow.”

“Wait, hold still,” Baekhyun reached to untangle her hair from his necklace. He froze when he saw it shining bright red and orange, as if there was fire burning inside.

So she doesn't have to hold it in her palm, as long as she comes into contact with it, if she's my soulmate, it will shine.

“Is it out yet?” Yejin bit her lip.

“Just a sec,” Baekhyun quickly untangled her hair and Yejin pulled away after getting his all clear signal.

“I’m so sorry, I turned the corner and I didn’t even expect you there, sorry,” Yejin blinked away the tears and smoothened out her hair. It wasn’t because it hurt that she teared up, it was just triggered. Like how when you yawn, tears just come naturally.

“It’s okay. Don’t keep saying sorry,” Baekhyun smiled.

“Sorry. I mean, sor— Yeah okay I’m just gonna go,” Yejin bowed and went on her way.

Baekhyun stared at her back and smiled to himself. “My soulmate is here.”

“Guys! Guys! You are not going to believe what I’m about to tell you!” Baekhyun burst as soon as he joined his friends.

“Surprise me, Byun Baek,” Chanyeol blew his fringe.

“Okay you know how I told you when my necklace lights up, my soulmate is here?”

“How many times.. Baekhyun, it’s not true. I’m sure that old lady just made it up,” D.O sighed.

“I thought so too. But it lit up, I met you guys, it lit up, I became a model. Come on, this can’t be a coincidence,” Baekhyun tried to persuade them otherwise.

“You’re too naïve, hyung,” Kai stated.

“Okay, let’s say she really is your soulmate. Is she cute?” Suho smiled.

“As if she just walked out of a fairytale book,” Baekhyun said dreamily.

“Is she nice?” Chanyeol raise an eyebrow.

“I think so. I bumped into her just now, she didn’t flare and at me or anything.”

“Let’s meet her!” Sehun grinned.

“Is she the first girl to touch it and it shone?” D.O asked.

“Yep!”

“Are you gonna go after her?”

“If she really is my soulmate, we’ll end up together somehow,” Baekhyun smiled.

“Ehhh, Byun Baek you’re so cheesy,” Chanyeol wrinkled his nose.

“Heh,” Baekhyun grinned.

“What’s her name?” Kai challenged.

“Um..”

“Hyung, you don’t even know her name,” Kai chortled good-naturedy.

“Shut up, I’ll know it soon enough,” Bakhyun pouted. The day passed by quickly and Baekhyun secretly hoped to run into his soulmate again but he didn’t. Even at the lockers she was nowhere in sight. He decided to just go home when he received a call.

“Baekhyun? Your manager changed,” Jungsoo informed.

“Again?”

“Yeah. I found a replacement for you. Think you could drop by the office for a while?”

“Sure thing,” Baekhyun smiled and hung up. He boarded the bus to the office in Insadong. After the half hour bus ride, he got off and walked to the office.

“Baekhyun, over here,” Jungsoo waved him over. He made his way there and bowed to Jungsoo and probably his new manager.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Byun Baekhyun ibnida.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Heechul ibnida,” Heechul smiled.

“I’ll leave you guys to talk then,” Jungsoo gave Baekhyun a pat on the shoulder and left.

“Hi, you’re in high school right?”

“Yes sir,” Baekhyun nodded.

“I’m so sorry, I left my planner behind but my sister’s on her way with it. Maybe we could get to know each other,” Heechul smile apologetically.

“Sure thing,” Baekhyun nodded, wondering if his new manager was always this forgetful. If he was, that would be quite troublesome.

“Which year are you in?” Heechul inquired.

“Just started my second year.”

“Oh man, second year in Kyeonggi high is tough,” Heechul shook his head.

“How’d you know I’m from Kyeonggi high?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow.

“I graduated from there and my sister’s—”

“Kim Heechul,” Yejin slammed the black planner onto the desk.

“Hiya sis!”