Scarlet Necklace

Scarlet Necklace

 

2009

“Little boy,” a weak raspy voice made Baekhyun stop in his tracks. He turned to the direction of the voice and found a small old woman standing there. “Do you want this? I’ll give it to you for free.”

The short old lady held out a scarlet necklace. Thinking it was some sort of scam and he’d get abducted if he didn’t run, Baekhyun declined and went on his way. He was 17 and it was his parent’s one year death anniversary. During that year, lady luck was never on his side.

“It will bring you good luck,” that made Baekhyun stop again. “When the scarlet necklace lights up, good things are near. When she picks it up and it shines it’s brightest, your soulmate is here. Take it. It brings you no harm.”

Baekhyun’s hand moved on it’s own and the old lady gently placed the necklace on his open palm. She smiled before waddling off. Baekhyun scanned his surroundings for any suspicious men to drag him into an awaiting van. He felt a little bit relieved when the coast was clear.

“In case you’re out there somewhere, I’m an orphan. Abducting me won’t get you any money, so don’t bother,” Baekhyun shoved the necklace into his pocket and went back home.

Oh my gosh, it’s lighting up. What’s gonna happen now?

Baekhyun eyed the bright red necklace, ignoring everything and everyone around him. This was the second time it lit up in ever since he got it three months ago. The first time it lit up, he made friends, true friends. It can only get better and better.

“Excuse me. Excuse me?” A man’s voice caught Baekhyun’s attention. He whirled around to see a man in his late twenties.

“Are you talking to me?” Baekhyun pointed at himself.

“Yes,” the man smiled. “My name is Jungsoo. As weird as this may sound, you have quite the looks.”

“Um,” Baekhyun took an unsure step back.

“Relax. Here’s my name-card, do you have interest in becoming a model?”

“But I just started high school,” Baekhyun blinked, wondering if it was some hidden camera prank.

“We’ll work it out. How about coming down to our office tomorrow?” Jungsoo suggested. Right now, his uncle was providing for him. Since he had his own family to feed, Baekhyun couldn’t keep relying on him and getting job would be good. How hard could posing for a few pictures in fancy clothes be?

“Is this a scam?” Baekhyun asked.

“Of course not! Look at the agency,” Baekhyun held the card closer and saw the very same agency that produced the famous model, Im Daejung.. “So? Are you interested?”

“Yes sir.”

“Great, I’ll see you at our office tomorrow. We’ll discuss further. Please bring your parents along.”

“Do my parents have to be present if I want to get the job?” Baekhyun looked to the floor.

“You don’t look like you’re of age..” Jungsoo studied the boy’s expression and smiled sympathetically. “Don’t worry. I’ll make you an exception.”

“R- Really?” Baekhyun’s eyes brightened.

“I’ll see you tomorrow kid,” Jungsoo ruffled his hair.

~~~~~~

2012

Back home, Yejin was rushing through her morning routine for her first day of high school. She chose to sleep that extra five minutes and was currently paying the price for it. As if she wasn’t already stressed and annoyed enough, an annoying older brother decides that it would be a good morning to nag his off.

“Kim Heechul, if you do not shut up, I will break every single one of your mirrors, you hear me?!” Yejin hollered from her room. Downstairs in the living room, Heechul’s jaw dropped and he scoffed. “I really pity that new model you’re going to look after. Poor kid has to listen to all your .”

“Excuse me, you little brat. That is no way to talk to your oppa. Break every single one of my mirrors? Just wait until I rip every single poster of those six blond freaks apart!” Heechul scowled.

“I. Dare. You,” Yejin snarled from the top of the stairs, tie still loosely done and backpack ped. At least her hair looked alright. It better, because she spent most of her time on it.

“Try me,” Heechul smirked and tossed his keys. “If you want a ride then hurry up already.”

“Ugh,” Yejin huffed and pulled her tie up while walking down the stairs. She put on her shoes and zipped up her backpack before climbing onto Heechul’s motorcycle.

“Helmet,” Heechul shoved the helmet onto her head.

“Kim Heechul! My hair! Oh my god I spent so much time on that!” Yejin screeched and slapped his back.

Definitely what my sister would say,” Heechul chuckled and drove off. Yejin was muttering silent death threats that Heechul chose not to pay any attention to. Yejin tightened her hold around Heechul’s waist. Fifteen minutes later, he pulled up outside a prestigious looking school. Yejin slipped off the helmet and fixed her hair. Heechul smiled and affectionately smoothened the part where Yejin missed.

“Good luck, kid,” Heechul pinched her cheeks. “Try not to act like a loser.”

“Bye oppa,” Yejin rubbed her sore cheek and waved goodbye. Her brother was seriously bipolar. One minute he could be yelling and annoying the heck out of her, the next he was playing sweet big brother and fixing her hair then he goes back to being annoying. Well, that was 23 year old Kim Heechul for you.