The Boy Who Cried Wolf

The Boy Who Cried Wolf

Another day not different than the past ones… I’m busy playing Angry Birds, my favorite game, here in my room at the 2nd floor of my house. Actually, I’m tired of it since I finished the game over and over for the nth time. What benefit would I get if I continue playing it? However, it is better playing Angry Birds than studying. I can’t stand reading books for hours! Anyway, it is past 5:00 pm which means my tutor should be around by now. He’s late for the session today. Maybe he won’t come because of what I did yesterday. His face was hilarious when he entered my room and the water from the pail I set up on the door poured down on him, drenching his clothes. I laughed at him like there’s no tomorrow, but he just laughed along with me. He is my childhood friend, after all and I think he’s used to my nature--- a prankster at its best. I guess I should go easy on him today… but it won’t be fun without a little surprise prank.

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

“Tao?” A familiar voice inquired.

 

          He’s in. I gave him my spare key for the whole house in case of emergency. Well, I am not the one who had the idea. He urged me to hand him the key. If he just didn’t used his aegyo on me… Kris sure is one of a kind… Even though I play all kinds of pranks on him, he doesn’t get angry. Is he a saint or what? Well it’s about time I pretend to be asleep.

 

“I’m coming in.” The door opened, somebody entered my room and closed the door softly.

 

          I hope he decide to cancel our session so that I can relax tonight. I hear footsteps… *step* *step* *step* *step* *step* It stopped… I think he left already. I should open my eyes now, slowly.

 

“*gasp*”

 

          I wasn’t able to scream. About 3 inches away from my face… is his face. He has no emotion at all. It seemed that his eyes are filled with something… something I do not know. He looked straight into my eyes and I was absorbed by two black vortexes. His face drew closer and closer as he mumbled words I have difficulty in understanding. I could barely make a sentence. Stop… You… I… Forgive…

 

“TAO!” Kris shouted.

 

“Huh?” I said as I drop my portable game console.

 

“You drifted away when I was telling you the story of ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf’.” He squinted at me.

 

“Uh… Really? I’m sorry.” I apologized while I try to distinguish dream from reality.

 

“Are you sick? *checks my forehead if it’s hot* It’s unlikely for you to say ‘I’m sorry’. *laughs*” Kris said while he prepares the next lesson he’ll teach.

 

          I checked the time. It’s already 9:00 pm.

 

“Hey, Kris. It’s already 9:00! Isn’t your house a bit far from here?” I said, planning on stopping him from teaching another lesson.

 

“It’s okay. You’ll allow me to sleep over, right Tao?” He said as he gets ready for action.

 

“Who said you can--- *Kris does aegyo* Okay, fine!” I said in disbelief that he did ‘that’ again.

 

“*Don’t worry. *chuckles* I won’t do something bad to you. In fact, I’ll even protect you---” Kris beamed a smile.

 

“Unlike you, you keep playing pranks on me…” Kris continues, pretending to cry.

 

“Who would pity a man like you? *laughs* Stop crying! You’re far from looking like a child.” I said as I hide my guilt from him.

 

*thud*

 

“Did you hear that?!” Kris exclaimed.

 

 “Hear what? Is this a part of your prank?” I said, doubting his words.

 

“I’m serious! I heard something downstairs…” He said as he pout.

 

“But it’s past 9:00! I’m not expecting anyone to come tonight…” I walked slowly to the door.

 

“Wait! This is not a prank, okay? I didn’t plan anything for revenge on you.” Kris tried to convince me.

 

“Way to defend yourself, Kris. But I won’t fall for this one.” I crossed my arms and leaned on the wall.

 

*thud* *step* *step*

 

“There is someone downstairs…” He whispered, loud enough for me to hear.

 

“Nope. Not gonna budge from my place.” I replied, even though I did hear something from downstairs.

 

“Stay here. I’ll check downstairs where the sound is coming from. If I don’t come back after 5 minutes, then call the police, okay?” He said as he ruined my hair.

 

          Why do I feel that I need to believe him? I don’t know. Maybe he called someone up and asked for his/her help to get revenge by scaring the hell out of me…

 

“W-wait…” I said in a very soft voice as I hold his arm.

 

“What is it?” He answered back with his ever sweet smile.

 

“Um, can you just--- I mean can’t--- err never mind!”  I said as I turn away from him.

 

“*chuckle* You’re helpless. Lock the door after I go out.” He looked at me.

 

“Don’t leave me…” I managed to give him my message.

 

“I won’t. I promise.” He said as he went out of the room.

 

          I immediately locked the door. The truth is--- I’m really scared. I have been hearing those things every night. I just lock my door to ensure that I’m safe. At first, I thought that they were just rats or some kind of animal, but as time passes, the sound of the footsteps came closer and closer to my room. I pray that all of it was an illusion, and then the sounds disappeared. I hope that nothing bad will happen to Kris.

 

*BAM*
*thud*
*BAM*
*rapid sound of stepping*
*thud*
*continuous stepping*
*thud*
*thud*
*thud*
*thud*
*thud*

 

          “What the hell was that? I can’t take this anymore. I’m scared, Kris. Help me. I’ll just hide under this blanket until you come back. What’s that? The sound of the thuds is getting closer. I’m shivering here. Did it stop in front of my room? What’s taking you so long…? Kris…”

          I called the police like what Kris said.

*THUD*
*knock knock*

“Who’s there?” I asked with a loud voice to hide that I’m terrified.

*knock knock*

          “I won’t let you come in unless you’re Kris!”

*doorknob rapidly turned* *thud*

*silence*

          “Kris? Is that you?”

          I hurried to the door and opened it. My eyes widened when I saw it was Kris, blood stained and lying down on the floor. He was the one who knocked at the door.

 

          “Kris…!” I said in disbelief.

 

          I sat on the floor and lifted his body up. I shook his body but there was no response. I called for help with all the voice I have, hoping somebody would hear my plight.

          *coughs blood*

          “KRIS! Don’t worry, you’ll be alright.” My voice cracked while I caress his beautiful face.

          “Tao… *coughs* Stop crying. Ever since we’re kids, you didn’t even cry once. You’re so stone-hearted back then. *coughs* What happened to you now?” Kris tried to reach my face.

          I held his hand and let him hold my cheeks. He wiped the tears flowing down but his efforts are wasted because I can’t stop crying.

          “You said you won’t leave me!” I cried out loud, as I pull him into a hug.

          “I crawled my way up to prove *coughs* that I won’t leave you… I think *coughs* I won’t be able to fulfil my promise. I’m sorry. Please forgive me.” Kris started crying.

          “I won’t forgive you if you leave me! I promise that I won’t play pranks on you! Just--- don’t leave me!” I cried even harder.

          “I just… want you to know… that I… love you. *coughs blood*”

          His hands slowly lost power and slide down my face as he carefully closed his eyes and smiled.

          “HEY! You can’t die! *sobs* Don’t leave me yet because I didn’t have the chance to tell you---

---that I… love you too.” I whimpered as I watch him motionless in my arms.

          “KRIS!!!” I wailed.

          I held Kris’ hand firmly before I heard the siren of the police and my consciousness slowly drifted away.

---Fin

--------------------------------

How was the story? I hoped you enjoyed it.

Feel free to comment below what you feel. Your feedbacks will be a great help for me. :)