Chapter 4

The Secret

Chapter 4

The night was cold and dark. Black clouds were covering the moon, there were no stars shinning that night. The force of the howling wind caused the trees to sway like they were going to fall in any time. Unwanted wastes were blown away. Waves were crashing into each other, sending up sprays to the air. Without thinking of the consequences, my weak legs which only capable to support my aching body, hobbled along the pathway that leaded to the beach. Lights which came from the lobby shone through the glass door and before me, a large shadow appeared ahead. As I walked further, the light become dimmer; it was the last glow of light that found at the area. I limped down the stairs, stepped into the sunken wet sand. My flip flops slipped off but I wasn’t bothered, I took off the other side as well. My mind only set for meeting him once again.

The strong wind messed up my hair and was blowing dusts into my eyes. Nothing stopped me. I squeezed my eyes and rub it away. I stagger towards the place we met. My shirt flapped vigorously when the wind blew. Ouch! I stepped on a broken glass. It pricked. But I continue walking, leaving stains of blood on the sand. As I approached, my steps were getting bigger and bigger, I desperately wanted to see him again.

At least, let me know what your name is.

However, faith wouldn’t let me fulfill my wish. My vision started to blur off.

No, I can’t pass off.

I squeeze my eyes and hit my head against my forehand to regain my conscious. I was glad that I was able to see again. But not for long, after my one step to the front, things started spinning around. My limbs weren’t strong enough to carry myself anymore. I fell on my knees and darkness taken over.

I passed off.

*********************************************************************************

Where am I? I opened up my eyes. This couldn’t be. I quickly tugged up from the bed. The sun shone through the window hit my eyes, causing my vision to go white for a moment. How could this be? I looked around, trying to convince myself this isn’t true. I was back in my hotel room, on my bed. It wasn’t a mistake. It was truly my room seeing as lying beside me was someone with a familiar sleeping position. It’s Min, no doubt.

Could this really be a dream? What had happened yesterday night, the night before and the stranger?

 Was all this just a dream?

*********************************************************************************

‘Cole? Cole? Are you alright?’

I felt a pat on my shoulder. I was awake from my subconscious. I was still figuring out of what had happened. It was still unbelievable. How could they felt so real? The lips and the touch he gave me.

‘Nicole! Are you okay? Why are you spacing so often today?’ Key gave the worried look of his.

‘Yeah, Cole! You didn’t have much for your breakfast? It doesn’t seem like you? Did your fever come back again?’ Seohyun asked.

‘No, I feel fine. It’s nothing. I was just thinking how my mom would react after she sees me sunburned.’ I chuckled. I had been lying a lot lately.

‘….I repeat, may I have Ms Shim attention please; someone found your lost Chanel handbag in the toilet. Could you please approach to the Lost and Found reception centre to reclaim it? Thank you.’

 

We were in the airport checking in our luggage. Jinwoon helped Seohyun lifted the luggage onto the scale.

 ‘Yah! Seohyun. What did you put in there! It’s overloaded!’ Jinwoon raised his voice.

‘I’m sorry Woonie, I really need to bring along those novels to make me fall asleep and the souvenirs...’ the innocent look of hers melted Jinwoon’s heart. He regretted raising his voice.

‘Come on. Let’s put them in my backpack.’ Jinwoon ped his bag.

‘Thanks Woonie! You are the best!’ Seohyun placed a kiss on his cheek.

‘Oh bother~’ Mir was annoyed.

‘Mir! Why can’t you be more considered like Jinwoon?’ Min complained.

‘I can’t .This isn’t my style that’s why.’ Mir wasn’t bothered.

‘Then what is, mister? Asking for forgiveness so that your girlfriend could stop twisting your ear? Huh?’ Min was twisting Mir’s ear without consideration.

‘Ou… Ou… Ouchhh! Okay, okay. I’m sorry honey. Can you please let go now?’ and so Min did but she was still angry. Mir massaged his ear to heal the pain. Then, started pouting his face at Min. There they go again, flirting in front of the public.

‘You two are the worst!’ Hara was amused.

‘Hara, you shouldn’t be jealous. You know Minho is a lot better guy than both of them. Isn’t it?’ I was making fun of Hara.

‘Yeah! I know, duh? That’s why he is Goo Hara’s boyfriend.’ Hara was certain about Minho. And why wouldn’t she? Minho is so perfect. He is handsome, tall, athletic plus the smiling eyes and angelic grin of his could drive girls crazy already.

 ‘What about yours? Have any intention to dump him yet? I see he isn’t any fun to you now?’ Hara was observing all the time. She noticed there weren’t sparks between Key and I lately. Hara wouldn’t like her best friend being stuck with a guy who couldn’t bring her happiness.

‘Hara?!’ I whined softly as Key wasn’t too far away from us. I turned looking at him. Luckily, he didn’t overhear us; I wouldn’t want him to feel uncomfortable. Moreover, I didn’t like the idea Hara had suggested. One annoying guy is enough for me. No more.

‘Okay, okay. But tell me if you want to. I have plenty of guys waiting in list. I could spare you one, or two.’ Hara joked which she may take it serious.

*********************************************************************************

Time really do flies, it had already been a week after I came back from O’Beat Island. But the weird incident I had there stills kept in my mind. No one knows about it yet.

During the last week of my holiday, I spent mostly my time in mom’s Dumpling restaurant. I thought I might help out a little. It was really tiring; I finally realize why mom complains her back aches so frequently.

Ding…Ding…

‘Unni! You came!’ I ran crossways to reach the front door. I was so happy to see Victoria. I wanted to cuddle her but my dirty clothes may get on her.

 Now and then, Victoria would pay visits to the restaurant too. She isn’t just a responsible wife but an obedient daughter. Since brother in law prefer her to stays at home, Victoria had spare time to pick up tailoring course. It was always been her obsession that wasn’t able to attained at the past. But now, she has the opportunity thus she didn’t put them to waste. She studies really hard to accomplish her dreams and that’s what makes me respect her all this long.

‘Hey, Nicole! How are you? Did you have fun throughout the trip?’ Victoria patted off the dirt on my hair. She was holding a bag of sewing kit and cloths. She just ended her class.

 ‘It was enjoyable. We went water skiing, racing and… and… and the seafood there was awesome! I…’ I wanted to tell her the whole story. I love having one-to-one talk with her. We used to spend time chatting on the bed before sleeping. It was a valuable time that shared by the two of us.

 ‘Excuse me. May I take my order please?’ customer called. He cut my conversation.

 ‘Just a minute!’ I told the customer. I really wanted to continue.

‘Hey! Go place his order. You wouldn’t want him to wait, right? You can tell me all about it later. By the way, where’s mom?’ Victoria looked at the counter but didn’t see mom there.

 ‘Mom is in the kitchen.’ I was pointing the kitchen with my thumb.

‘Oh, okay. I’ll go look for her then.’

‘Hey! Be careful! The floor is slippery.’ I raised my voice as she walked in.

Victoria didn’t spend long with us. She left as soon she received a call from Nichkhun’s sister. She needed a lift back home; the school bus broke down on the middle of the journey.

‘I’m sorry, Nicky. I have to go. I’ll call you tonight?’ Victoria felt uncomfortable of breaking the promise.

‘Yeah.’ I was rather disappointed.

‘Drive safely, kay?’ Mom reminded Victoria.

‘I will, mom. Bye! Bye Nic. Love ya!’ Victoria waved goodbye and walked out the door.

‘Nic, go get some fresh air. You need some. I can handle the place here.’ Mom gently my back, she knew I was a little gloomy.

*********************************************************************************

‘Hmmm… Where can I go? It’s five in the noon now.  I wonder Oppa finished his work?’ I walked down the slope with my backpack bouncing up and down. Around the corner was Uncle Lee’s grocery store. I couldn’t bear looking at the colorful and icy popsicles in the cooler. It makes my mouth turn watery.

‘Uncle Lee, Can I have…’

I was humming along the street, on my strawberry popsicle. I was satisfied with the taste. I also bought the mixed berries flavor, grape flavor, apple flavor and Oppa’s favorite lime. Opps! Did I buy too many? Oh well.

‘Hmm~~ Hmm~~Hmm~~’ I stood in front of a CD shop. I had reached Oppa’s working place.

Ding…Ding…

I sneaked in to the shop.

‘Welcome.’ I placed my index finger onto my lips, wanting the staff to keep it down. He knew I was looking for Oppa. I stopped by all the time.

‘Shhh!!’

‘Okay!’ he whispered and showed me an OK sign.

I was bending myself and tip-toeing along the CD rack. Oppa was busy sorting the CDs on the rack. He didn’t notice me. I sneaked through the rack opposite him. I was ready to give him a shock of his life when I count to three.

1…2…

‘You can come out now, Nicole. I know you are there.’ Oppa looked emotionless.

Awwhh~~ No fun!

‘Oppa! How did you know it was me?!’ I stood straight up and sulked. Hmph!

‘You did that every time you come here. Why would I not know?’ Oppa continued with his work.

‘Oppa! Are you done with your work?’ I missed him. I didn’t look for him for quite some time.

‘Yeah! I’m done after this.’

Yeah! I could spend time with Oppa later.

‘And!!’ He emphasized.

‘How many times must I tell you? Stop calling me Oppa!! I’m not a boy!’ SHE was frustrated.