Last Chapter

The Heir's Love Story

The sky was gray and it reminds Joo Hyun of that particular day, it has been almost four years but memories are still clear as she gazes at the forlorn heavens.

She, Jong-In and their twins Kris and Krystal have visited a tranquil hillside in one of the agricultural estates owned by the Kim family, someone really close to their hearts, someone who will not be ever forgotten by them, the twins’ uncle – Wu Fan.

While Jong-In was running like a fool being prank by little children, Joo Hyun put a bouquet of a hundred white roses to Wu Fan’s grave.

She spoke, ‘’How have you been oppa? I wish you’re happy up there. We all miss you, I miss you.’’

It has been almost four years since the tragedy which killed Wu Fan happened, and since they cannot visit him on the exact date of his death anniversary they’ve visited them a week earlier.

She started to converse to him like how they usually do, ‘’…Jong-In and I decided to move to London this coming September, two months from now…do you think it’s a great idea? We want the best for Kris and Krystal.’’

Then she arranged the picnic mat near the grave, opened the picnic basket and prepared plates. She eventually called Jong-In and her twins so that they can eat already. ‘’Come here, Kris, Krys…Jong-In!’’

But her kids especially her husband weren’t still hungry, they were indifferent that Joo Hyun has been calling them.

‘’Kim Jong-In!’’ she furiously called for her husband’s name.

Jong-In was madly running as he was chased by his kids when he heard of his angry wife’s voice he instantly halted in one place and cringed as he faces her. ‘’…coming Hyun!’’

Then he beckoned his children to come with him and ran up hill.

‘’I’m sorry Hyun, I cannot really hear you from there.’’ He apologized panting.

The milady smacked her husband’s arm hard.

Joo Hyun had no choice but to become stricter to Jong-In as time goes by. It was like someone came back to being young and that she needs to take care of three kids, not two.

‘’I’m really sorry Hyun. Have you told Hyung about our plan?’’

When the family started eating, the couple started their conversation.

Joo Hyun answered her husband’s question, ‘’Neh.’’

‘’I wish Hyung can see Kris and Krys now…’’ he took a bite of his clubhouse. ‘’…I’m sure he’s so proud I’ve named Kris after him and Krystal after Soo Jung.’’ Then he suddenly laughed remembering Soo Jung’s reaction when he has decided to name their twins after them.

Joo Hyun started laughing as well, ‘’She volunteered to amputate your left leg…’’ she even laughed harder. ‘’Everyone told you to name Kris (the male twin) after you since it’s a tradition of their family.’’

‘’But I like my son to be named after him, it’s just that I will be a lot more fun if I name my daughter after Soo Jung…I want to remember Wu Fan-hyung as the children grows up.’’

It’s been four years, and even though Jong-In did not really spend a good life together with his older brother, he surely treasure those short moments they’ve lived as real brothers.

Milady Joo Hyun knew that her husband have learned to love his older brother during his last moments, and have certainly regretted it. But she does not want to spend that day full of tears just as tears of mourning flooded that place almost four years ago.

‘’How’s Soo Jung doing in L.A.? I haven’t heard from her for almost a year, does she regularly send SNS with you?’’

‘’She messaged me last month, I think her mom’s going to introduce her to a Casino Heir.’’

‘’What does she say about it?’’ she curiously asked.

‘’She told me she’s not interested, as usual.’’ The heir took a full bite of his club house and greedily gets another piece from the basket.

Soo Jung has not yet forgotten about Wu Fan. Her parents have arranged her to several blind dates. Even Jong-In does but she kept on reasoning that medicine school and her role as Samsung’s heiress and model doesn’t give her anytime for other things. Hence, they knew that she’s making all those excuses to make a front to her real feelings.

‘’Who’s that Casino Heir anyway?’’ she asked curiously and got her tablet out ready to search about the casino heir her husband was talking about.

‘’Why?’’

‘’I just want to check it out if he fits our Soo Jung.’’

‘’Search…Tuan, Mark.’’

And so, she searched the casino heir’s name on the search engine.

‘’Omo, he’s got a Wikipedia profile.’’ She started reading the casino heir’s profile. ‘’…he’s born in L.A. He is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Tuan of Tuan Empire who owns City of Dreams Hotels and Casino in Taiwan, Beijing, Mexico, London and L.A. He is also a professional Bboy. He studied Business Administration in Stanford from 2013 to 2015 but he dropped out reasoning that he has to pursue his passion more…Omo, he fits Soo Jung but I think Aunt Jung won’t easily persuade Soo Jung. This Casino Heir is kind of stubborn. But he’s cute. ‘’

‘’How can you describe someone all grown up cute? Look at his age, he’s born 1993! He’s definitely a Hyung to me!’’ Jong-In retorted. ‘’…I guess Aunt Jung’s probably having a hard time with Soo Jung now.’’

As soon as he finish up his clubhouse, they video called Soo Jung. She’s currently on her study table reviewing for her upcoming medicine board exams, she spoke bluntly, ‘’…what’s up for bothering me Kim Jong-In?’’

‘’I know you like me bothering you! What’s up with you? You haven’t messaged me for approximately a month now.’’ Jong-In began teasing his best friend.

‘’I’m busy.’’ She showed those thick hard bound medical books that she was reading that moment.

‘’Yeah, fine…but a five minutes call or message will not hurt you once or twice a week!’’ he playfully resent on the latter. ‘’…or is it because you’re busy with the Casino Heir?’’

‘’Huh? Who? Casino Heir?’’ the heiress raised an eyebrow. ‘’I’ve been in a serious relationship with these books for two months now tell me how can I find time to date a guy?’’

‘’But Joo Hyun and I read his Wikipedia profile just now.’’

Milady Kim playfully butted in, ‘’Tuan, Mark of Tuan Empire owner of the City of Dreams Hotels and Casinos?’’

‘’Joo Hyun-unnie!’’ the heiress turned red getting annoyed at the couple. She did not know that her family would really spread the news that fast. ‘’Mark Tuan? Who told you guys about him?’’

‘’The morning after the night you came to first met him in The City of Dreams L.A., you’re mother video messaged us that you are dating him.’’ Jong-in replied.

‘’We’ve just met that night and we’re already dating?’’ Soo Jung gave him a baffled look. ’’... I told you I’m not interest to him, right?’’ Soo Jung noticed that the couple was outside, a familiar hillside; she knew she had been there twice. ‘’…anyway where’s my nephew and niece? And where are you guys?’’

‘’Kris and Krys are here.’’ Joo Hyun beckoned their children to join video messaging their aunt Soo Jung. ‘’…And as usual we’re here at oppa’s grave, we went here a week earlier since we’ve got something to do next week.’’

An awkward smile was immediately seen on the heiress’ face. ‘’Ah, I see…’’ then she diverted her attention to the twins. ‘’Can I talk to Kris and Krys?’’

Joo Hyun focused her tablet screen in front of the children and beckoned them to greet their aunt Soo Jung. ‘’Kris and Krys how do you formally greet Aunt Soo Joongie?’’

The twins started to rise from their sit and gave their aunt the utmost respect by doing the formal Korean bow.

The heir butted in, ‘’See that Jung? I’ve taught them well, right?’’

A tear escaped from the heiress’ eye as she saw the lovely Kim twins, they grew up really fast and the couple have raised them really well. Then she spoke to Jong-In, ‘’Yeah, at least they’ve learned courtesy way earlier than you.’’

Her eyes started swelling up and eventually she cried. The heir perceived that this might happen. ‘’Hey, I’m sure my hyung doesn’t like you crying. He doesn’t want to see you getting hard on yourself. It’s been four years Soo Jung.’’

Four years may have passed but that short time she spent with Wu Fan is something she wanted to treasure and would like not to let go forever. Her tears started to flood like a river.  ‘’You know that it’s still hard for me…’’

‘’I’m sorry Jung…but give yourself a life. I’m sure hyung doesn’t like what you’re doing to yourself. I’m sure he’s still watching you. And I’m sure he’d be the one to do the nonstop nagging if you don’t pull yourself together. So cheer up!’’

‘’Remember how he held on before he left us? I’m sure he pushed himself to hold on more just to see you…’’ Joo Hyun seconded.

 

Soo Jung remembered that Wu Fan was still able to hold on going back to Seoul National Hospital despite his critical gun shots on his chest, left muscular shoulder, and upper abdomen. Suwon was a three to four hour car drive away from Seoul. They’ve expected him to be dead in the scene but miraculously he was able to travel via helicopter going back to the hospital in Seoul. While Jong-In was safe but completely unconscious when they arrived at the hospital.

Joo Hyun and Soo Jung together with Yoona, Chayeol and Tiffany have waited anxiously in the hospital’s hangar for the brothers and the twins’ arrival since the news that the English-styled manor of the Wu family in Suwon has been reported to be detonated down during a hostage drama and that the henchman behind the incident died and that Jong-In and Wu Fan were both in critical condition. Fortunately, the news has got it wrong for Jong-In, but not to his older brother.

The moment that the helicopter landed on the hospital’s hangar, Soo Jung dashed her wheel chair near to see Wu Fan.  While Joo Hyun directly head to get her twins from sage Kyuhyun then to Jong-In.

The heiress started crying mad as she sees her struggling lover’s face. The scarlet color of his blood has covered his body, and his face was too pale that you could hardly recognize him from a far and that he’s in pain struggling to breathe. ‘’Wu Fan-oppa, h-hold in there, please!’’ she pleaded as she held into his hand that was uncomfortably cold than it used to be.

‘’Remember, I’m always with you…closer than your shadow. So smile…’’ he spoke his last words to her, and closed his eyes.

’Remember, I’m always with you…closer than your shadow. So smile…’ Those words have lingered to her for years. She have held to it long enough.

‘’…that he’s always with me and that I should smile.’’ She replied to the latter.

‘’Hold on to that, but I’m sure he wanted you to open up your heart to someone else so that he could see you smile.’’ Joo Hyun started cheering up the latter. ‘’…maybe that Mark Tuan. Just try.’’

‘’Maybe next time unnie...’’ the heiress smiled but with obvious sadness written on her face.

Soo Jung certainly is slow on getting over while others have moved on to their own lives after that incident. Joo Hyun feels her; she too cannot forget how the mysterious gentleman has stayed with her and took care of her during her enduring times. Maybe deep inside her, if there’s no Jong-In the way she would have accepted Wu Fan’s love.  She could no longer utter an advice and say a word to the younger lady, ‘’God Bless on you Medicine Board Exams Dr. Jung.’’

‘’Thank you, Joo Hyun-unnie.’’

‘’Appa, umma why is my Soo Jung-noona crying?’’ the toddler Kris have asked his parents. He has always liked Soo Jung, and has always addressed Soo Jung as his noona instead of aunt.

‘’Kris, I told you she’s AUNT Soo Jung, not Soo Jung-noona.’’ Jong-In scolded his young lad.

‘’But when I grow…grow up, as in tall like you, I’ll court her and marry her.’’ the young lad insisted to his father.

Soo Jung laughed out loud; she was able to visit the twins last year for their third birthday and ever since then the young Kris started liking her and even proclaimed that he is going to marry her someday. So she playfully instructed the young lad, ‘’…just give Soo Jung-noona a flying kiss then!’’

Then the young lad gave her so.

‘’Aunt Soo Jungie, do I look pretty?’’ the young Krystal asked this time while making the ‘buing-buing’ face she have taught the two during their previous video messages.

‘’Of course Krys!’’ the heiress laughed, she never thought that the twins would be close to her and would even adapt her antiques.

‘’Yah, Jung Soo Jung… so you’re the one who taught that to my daughter. She’s good at making that expression, sometimes it’s cute but it’s getting more and more annoying since she does them every day to me!’’ Jong-In complained.

‘’It’s not my fault if you’re falling for your daughter’s mannerisms! Just enjoy it, she’s cute, she’s pretty…God you must have saved the whole Joseon during your past life!’’  The heiress shot back.

 

Hence, there are some things that have changed and some things that have remained.

Joo Hyun thought, that the heiress would always have a part inside Jong-In’s heart consciously or subconsciously, and so is Wu Fan to her even if she have kept it hidden. Thus, what matter’s in life is that you end up with someone you’re meant to be with, be it the one you have loved so great for so long or the one who’s not in your mind but is the one destined to be by your side.

Every time this thought comes to her as she look to Jong-In makes her ponder if it’s her own choice to be with him or it’s their destiny’s choice. But as she looks at their children at that very moment, she found out that she loves him all along, it’s just that there are confusions that make her wonder along the way.

‘’Why?’’ the heir shot her with wide eyes as he eats his fifth club house.

Then she looked at the basket and saw that there were only three more clubhouse left, she and the twins have only eaten one each. She started scolding her husband, ‘’Kim Jong-In! How dare you!’’

She started smacking the latter’s arm. She had no choice but to become abusive since her husband have turned to someone immature as time goes by.

 

 

Moments later, an orange sports car have arrived downhill, it was Chanyeol. The children immediately got up from where they were playing and head downhill to welcome their dear animated uncle.

‘’How’s my Wu Fan and Soo Jungie?’’ he welcomed them with a huge bear hug, carried them and playfully turned them around.

‘’Yeol samchon, why do you keep on calling us that?’’ Kris curiously asked.

‘’Neh, My name is Krystal, why do you keep calling me Soo Jungie when I’m not Soo Jung?’’ the female twin backed up.

It has been a habit to Chanyeol to call his niece and nephew Wu Fan and Soo Jung since their names were of the English names of those people. Those people were once a part of their lives, were very important part of their lives.

‘’Why? Does it sound bad to call you Soo Jungie…Krystal?’’ the animated gentleman asked his niece as he put them down and went back to his car to get the blueberry cheesecake that the twins have always liked and to wake up Yoona on the back seat.

Jong-In and Joo Hyun eventually went downhill.

Chanyeol and Yoona have started becoming close companions since they were the people who took care of Joo Hyun and Jong-In in the hospital alongside with Tiffany despite the fact that Chanyeol was not able to pursue his courtship to Sooyoung who have eventually had someone else to date when she and Yuri pursued studying medicine at Myungwoo Hospital School of Medicine. But the two did not develop any mutual feelings for each other, Yoona have had a sudden change of path when Tiffany once asked her to model for her newly established clothing line and have started dating a famous host while Chanyeol have told in a lifestyle magazine that he’s a 2NE1 fanboy and is actually having a crush on the girl band’s visual Dara. Then after a few months, he was able to meet and get to know her when Volvo got them to be their visual promoters for a new car model from that then on, they have been paired to a few more advertisements and CFs and eventually dated each other.

‘’Yeol-hyung, Yoona-noona!’’ Jong-In ran to them panting, but as soon as he retrieved his breath he started teasing the two. ‘’…Dara-noona and Seungi-hyung might get angry with you two!’’

‘’What’s new to that?’’ the doe-eyed girl brushed away the topic. ‘’…paparazzi always makes issues anyways. It’s going to be the twenty-fifth time of us to be headlined maliciously if the reporters spotted us out.’’

‘’Neh! I’m so used to it.’’ Chanyeol playfully put his arm around the doe-eyed girl’s shoulder. ‘’…Yoong-noona’s pretty, but she’s not my style.’’ He laughed and eventually has gotten elbowed by the latter.

‘’Anyway, have you guys closed the investment with Lonsdale?’’ Joo Hyun butted in between, her husband and his cousin were the once who took over Kim’s properties and companies for the past two years but due to Chanyeol’s easy going personality, and because Jong-In has become more laid back, she needed to become a strict secretary of the two by making sure that they go on and accomplish their schedules and deals on time. Never once in her life as milady Kim she have imagined that she’s be involving herself in the family’s business, she have thought of pursuing medicine a few years ago but their family’s situation led her to become Jong-In and Chanyeol’s ‘official secretary’ since the two does not really take their personal butler’s advices seriously.

‘’I sure had a hard time going back and forth from London to here just to close our deal with them. Yes Hyun-noona because my life’s going to be more difficult if I will not be able to close the deal with them.’’ Chanyeol answered jokingly since Joo Hyun has become a cranky person over time.

‘’What did you say?’’ the milady raised an eyebrow darting the animated gentleman with her stare.

The doe-eyed girl started laughing hard seeing her shy little best friend turned into a strict madam. Who would have thought that their clique’s cute, and timid Seohyunnie would eventually change into that kind of person?

‘’I-I… ‘’ the animated gentleman cringed in his position. He eventually irked in pain as Seohyun pulled his hair on his temple. ‘’Jeongmal-mianhe, mianhe Joo Hyun-noona!’’ he hugged her pleading.

The heir laughed out loud seeing how his cousin receives torture from his wife.

But not anymore when Joo Hyun caught how carefree he is.

‘’You too should have been closing deals this week and yet you’re here pigging out those clubhouse I made for your children!’’ his hair on his temple was suddenly being pulled by her.

‘’But today’s my day off Milady Kim, ouch!’’

The doe-eyed girl fell on her knees laughing, ‘’Yah Kim Jong-In, just follow ‘’your milady Kim’s’’ orders!’’

Then the twins eventually ganged up beating their father after hearing that he finished their family’s clubhouse on his own.

 

 

------------

 

A month has passed, and finally it’s the last day of Soo Jung’s Medicine Board Exams. It was a rainy day and it was oddly colder than a usual rainy day in L.A. She confidently walks her way out from the building where medicine students like her took the exam. She gave her best, and though she’s confident, she knows well that she still lacks a few things and that made her still hope for a ‘better’ result than expected.

She stood at the waiting shed in front of the school building messaging her butler to come and pick her up. She waited for several minutes, and it’s so unusual to her butler to not be around once she asks him to pick her up.

Her car was parked on the fourth floor car park opposite of the building she was in. So she have to cross the huge street, and walk to the other side of the said building in order to get into her car. What a hassle.

When she finally got frustrated, she eventually decided to cross the street even if the rain was pouring. She was almost on the half way of the street and has already accepted that she’ll get into the opposite building soaking wet but someone pulled her under his umbrella.

‘’Ayy, you might get sick.’’ An unfamiliar cool low-toned voice broke.

She eventually lifted her head and looked to the person who shared her umbrella. She was astonished seeing the guy she met from the dinner blind-date set by her parents a few months ago, Mark Tuan.

The guy isn’t that tall, he’s just a ‘’very’’ few centimeters taller than her, he’s skinnier compared to guys on his age which is why she find him more fragile looking than her. His face is even as small as hers, but he’s got a very charming smile, and a handsome pair of eyebrows that makes up for his flaws.

She raised an eyebrow, and asked, ‘’Why are you here?’’

He paused for a second and dashed her an adorable puppy eyes, ‘’Fetching you? I guess.’’ She doesn't know if he intentionally did or he's naturally cute.

Her ears suddenly felt warm, feeling as if a bolt suddenly daggered her chest. ‘’Me?’’ she mouthed in disbelief.

‘’Yes, You.’’ he smiled warmly and pulled Soo Jung closer to him.

‘’Yah, what are you doing?’’ she brushed away his grip from her.

But the latter did not let her off easily and pulled her again closer to him and walked her to the other side of the street. ‘’You might get sick.’’

As soon as they were on the opposite side of the road, Soo Jung distanced herself from the latter. ‘’What are you doing here?’’ she asked again not minding if she gets totally soaked in the rain.

But Mark persisted and walked to her side again. ‘’Get used to me, from now on.’’

 

 

It was a random Sunday morning in the enormous Kim mansion. All helpers from servants to butlers were busy preparing for the twin’s ‘usual Sunday morning picnic’ which is always held in the mansion’s garden. Certainly, Kris and Krystal have grown a little spoiled by their great grandfather Grand Master Kim. He will not let a single Sunday pass without preparing such a feast-like activity for his great grandson and great granddaughter. His reason is that Sunday is family day and his great grandchildren are his joy. Something that Jong-In have complained few years ago when he noticed that his grandfather have really soften up because of his kids. Remembering how strict the old man was to him when he was still a child, he cannot hide how envious he is to his children.

‘’Bali! Bali-wa…Butler Kang!’’ Kris shouted as he rode on the old head butler’s back as he does his own version of ‘horseback riding’. Hence, it has been the old head butler’s fate since young master Kris has started playing. And if he complains, he knew that Grand Master Kim will just scold him and tell him to get his retirement if he wants.

While the young milady Krystal is the one who is close to her great grandfather. She would always love to sit down and would love to learn her great grandfather’s board games. She’s her great grandfather’s pride, and the old master adore her intelligence and even find her more intelligent than her father since she shows interest to intellectual games.

 On the other hand, Jong-In and Joo Hyun were busy working inside their room. Sunday’s a family day, but to them it’s just like a usual weekday since becoming the head of the most affluent family in Asia and handling their businesses means endless working.

Jong-In did not almost sleep for having a hard time closing a deal with their Brazilian investors last night making him doze off while his wife was currently discussing him the background of their next international investor.

‘’…their family owns ninety percent of Osaka’s sauna and recreation center. So I’m planning if it is possible to establish our family’s cafes inside their recreation centers and let’s make them sign to not allow other food establishments like ours in their properties so that we can dominate Osaka. What do you thin-…’’ Joo Hyun suddenly heard a light snore from her husband. ‘’Jong-In.’’

She massaged her temples as the latter slowly gets in her nerves, her husband often does that to her. ‘’Jong-In!’’

The heir jumped to his seat as soon as he heard his furious wife’s voice. As time passed by, the milady eventually became the dominant person between them.

‘’I-I’m sorry!’’ the heir apologized cringing. He surely has to listen to her carefully if he does not want some flying stenos hit his face. Well, Joo Hyun once did that to him and to Chanyeol in order to wake them up.

‘’I too did not sleep last night…’’ the milady bluntly hissed.

‘’I’m listening, I’m listening Hyun!’’ he went closer to her and gestured that he’s all awake and ready to listen to her attentively.

‘’Then what did I discuss to you?’’

‘’Osaka…’’ the only word he can clearly recall since he was obviously dozing off in the middle of her business discussion. ‘’…a family/business trip in Osaka?’’

He just dug his own grave.

He found his wife’s hand just flew hard and hit his nape.

‘’Ouch!’’

‘’Kim Jong-In, I really don’t know what to do with you!’’ the milady let out her frustration.

‘’M…mianhe Hyun…jeongmal mianhe!’’

Ever since they have lived their lives as a whole family, there was never a time that Jong-In was able to express how he really feels towards his wife, and so is Joo Hyun to him. They’ve lived as husband and wife together with their children but like an old couple who shows less affection towards each other.

While their children were growing, they’ve been engrossed to them so much that they have forgotten to spend some time alone. A good sign that both of them are good parents in the making, especially Jong-In who even dedicated almost a year babysitting his children until they’ve learned how to walk. He was even offered by KBS to join the reality TV show ‘’The Return of Superman’’ alongside with other celebrity/famous fathers and their children, the very reason why Seohyun started to involve herself in handling the Kim family’s businesses and eventually became the one who is hands on, more than her husband does.

He knew that his wife will not easily get him out of the trouble he made; it eventually became natural to her to become annoyed on him all throughout the day if he makes a mistake in her eyes.

Hence, he did not really know the exact solution that can mend their petty arguments. So he stood from her back and gave her a back hug hoping that she will stop nagging on him. But his wife tried to resist him, she not the type to easily fall with those kinds of moves anymore.

‘’Jong In-ah… if you’re tired to work on this I’m also –‘’

Jong-in then held her chin and made her turn to him and gave her a kiss on the lips. He was never given a chance to do this for years, whether by chance, by courage, or by their choice. He almost thought that their marriage have slowly turned to become plain partnership since the turn of events happened to their lives.

Well, maybe a chance to show his sincere love this time.

Her eyes widened as her cheeks turned red and ears felt warm, still unfamiliar on how to respond to latter despite the fact that they have been married for almost five years already. A kiss to them is still an ‘eventful’ activity.

And when Jong-In pulled off, he playfully stared at her. ‘’I prefer my cute wife…just like the old days. Much better.’’

Seohyun wanted balled her hands on the sides, she would really wanted to hit him for making her feel embarrass and still manage to act playful on her.

The heir noticed how stiff she is and the way she balls her fists on her sides, so he held on her hands and gave her a peck this time. ‘’I’m really sorry for hurting you all along, and for not showing you how I really care. I was not even bold enough to show you that I love you these past few years…Wu Fan-hyung must have really loved you a lot, but it doesn’t mean that I love you less.’’

Joo Hyun despite feeling her utmost embarrassment inside started looking directly in his eyes, ‘’I’m more than happy staying by your side; just remember to take care of things so they’ll last.’’

A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
 

------------

 

A/N: Thank you very much for reading this story my dear Reader-nims. It's an honor to write this story here on AFF and be freinds with you. Please continue to support Seohyun (GG) and EXO, okay?

Much Love: Seohyunkeroro