Lay's Angst

The Heir's Love Story

‘’I have the Kim twins with me. What is it that you want me to do next Lord Wu?’’ Yi Xing asked his old lord on the line as he stares at the new born twins that were on a twin-sized stroller. He was to transfer them in an incubator in his first class apartment somewhere near Seoul.

‘’Have I commanded you to bring my grandson here?’’ the old lord furiously growled at him. He was definitely commanding something else. ‘’What has gotten into you that you have to do that? I instructed you to bring Wu Fan back here in China with you, when did I ever instruct you to kidnap young tads?’’

‘’But Wu Fan-ge doesn’t even have a plan to go back to our family, my Lord.’’ He reasoned out. ‘’…you know how he chose his other family over us, over you. Especially when Jong-In disappeared… For as long as there is Joo Hyun-’’

‘’That wench again?’’ the old Lord exclaimed, he remembered his last conversation with his grandson Wu Fan several months after the incident during Jong-In’s nineteenth birthday, particularly when Wu Fan knew than Joo Hyun was pregnant. Lord Wu was asking him to come back to China to live with him again but the mysterious gentleman reasoned out that he needed to aid Grand Master Kim by taking over Jong-In’s position in the company while he’s absent so that the company will not suffer. But he ended up knowing that his grandson was also taking care of the milady. Or probably, he was mainly taking care of her more than the company like how he put it.

‘’Those twins are of that wench’s offspring, the reason why Wu Fan would not really return to us.’’

‘’Yes, they are Joo Hyun’s children my lord. And I was thinking that it is best to get them in exchange of Wu Fan-ge’s return.’’ Lay faintly agreed, seemingly irritated on how the old lord address Seohyun as ‘wench’.

Truth is, he doesn’t really have any angst towards the milady. Rather, he has fallen for her since he started his mission of invading on the Kim family’s life a year ago. She’s one of the reason why he envies his older brother Wu Fan even more, and the reason why he enjoys making Jong-In suffer.

‘’But what really came to you again that you stole those children?’’

‘’Wu Fan-gege would do anything for Milady Kim, my lord. I know that you are also aware of that…’’ he wittily responded. ‘’…if he’ll return to us, then let bygones be bygones. But if not, let’s think of another plan of what to do best with these little fellows. A sly smirk grew on a side of his face.

‘’Imbecile! Have you forgotten that Wu Fan needs to be Kim’s Sole Heir as well?’’

 

This is where Lay’s envy towards Wu Fan rooted. Lord Wu wants him to claim both of the families’ wealth by using him as the dirty tool.

He knows that he’ll be useless in the old lord’s eyes if Wu Fan would claim all the wealth under his name. The worse thing might happen to him, be disposed. He saw how the old lord treat his men after accomplishing a mission, if they’ve done their mission remarkably then they’d stay but if the old lord have seen their flaws while doing what’s asked they’d be automatically thrown aside like a useless rag. And he knows that he has done some flaws with his work.

But since he has no family to return to, or others who cares for him he have to stick to the ‘family’ who adopted him, desperately hoping that his hard work will be acknowledged someday, that even if he will not become an heir like Wu Fan. He’ll get something so he could start a comfortable life.

‘’My Wu Fan needs to claim being Kim family’s Sole Heir! Don’t you ever forget that! You have to do whatever it takes to make him the Sole Heir. Be it you kill everyone, or kill yourself. I don’t care!’’ the old lord exclaimed, nailing that he has to do his job by hook or by crook.

‘’Y…yes my lord.’’ He faintly answered. The serene gentleman’s hand was cringing, almost dropping his hand phone on the marble floor. Again, he knows how the old lord was looking down on him.

‘’ Call me if you think you already done something correct, Lay!’’ the old lord bantered and ended their conversation.

‘’Sheesh, that old devil…’’ he cursed under his breath as the male twin reached his index finger with his small hand. He was totally furious, but he flinched with the gentle gesture of the baby.

He watched them closely for a moment, those little gestures that the newly born twins were indeed precious, the twin girl was her fingers and the twin boy firmly held his index finger falling asleep.

‘I must be crazy, but blame this to your father and to your uncle Wu Fan who makes my life ever complicated. If they did not exist then your lives aren’t going to be like this.’

The thought of how anxious the milady was visited her. He knows that he might worsen her condition since she saw him in her hospital room.

Then he spoke to the babies once more, ‘’…As much as I like you mother, I hate your dad.’’ Then he touched the scar hidden under his flip side hair. ‘’…he caused me this.’’

 

----------

They were only waiting for the sun to shine and it’s already two days since the twins were kidnapped. Wu Fan already wanted to publicized the lost of the newly born Kim twins but chose to entrust the operation to the Samsung sages with the condition that they will report to the public investigators once they have not gotten any information of their and there kidnapper’s where-about.

Publicizing their current family’s situation would cause uproar and people might take advantage of their wealth by asking of prize money in return. Wu Fan and Soo Jung know it very well, and even Chanyeol agrees on it since they have been in such kind of situating, Chon when they were younger.

Wu Fan, Soo Jung, Chanyeol, Tiffany and Yoona were all present inside Seohyun and Jong-In’s room arguing. All of them haven’t left the couple since the incident happened. The mysterious gentleman and the heiress literally never left them, while the fashion designer and the animated gentleman would usually takes turn in guarding, while the doe-eyed girl will frequently visit them early in the morning and will leave in the late afternoon.

‘’I can’t stand this anymore!’’ Yoona complained taking heavy steps going to Seohyun’s bedside. ‘’…it’s been two freaking days since the twins got kidnapped. We already know the identity of the kidnapper and what’s this? We are waiting for a LITERAL miracle to fall down doing nothing?’’  She reached the even more fragile looking hand of her best friend who has even gotten thinner after being in coma. Seohyun has already recovered but could not talk. She was still in state of shock and the physicians have told them that she will regain her sanity in a few days or a week.

‘’Yoong-noona, this is not the right time to hype yourself in emotions. Please calm.’’ Chanyeol tried to hush the doe-eyed girl in such manner.

But the latter did not like the animated gentleman’s tone, scornfully scoffing, she countered him.’’Are you telling to chill at this point, Yeol? I know how easy going you are, but how can you say that after all these happenings? Sometimes I cannot understand how you Chaebols (rich kids) think! The twins are already in danger, but still you don’t want to entrust it to the police? Why?’’

‘’I’m sorry Yoona-noona, but just calm. I say it because I’ve been kidnapped a few times when I was still young.’’

‘’Just calm Yoona-unnie.’’ Soo Jung joined their conversation. ‘’…Chanyeol isn’t kidding. Kidnapping is a mere situation for us. We can’t just easily report it to the police since for sure, the public will take advantage of Kim family’s situation.’’

‘’How?’’ the doe-eyed girl raised her brow, as she crosses her arm in front of her chest.

‘’Financially… You know how people will take interest in prize money. The twins aren’t just chaebols, they are Kims.’’ Soo Jung replied, she meant that the babies are of the most affluent family in Asia’s family member. ‘’…people will fancy for great prize money and so as the police even if we don’t talk about them. I’ve known how they go, and it’s one of the reasons why my appa formed the Samsung Sages for our own family’s protection.’’

‘’I…I just pity Hyun.’’ The doe-eyed girl heavily sighed. ‘’…she had been through a lot since she became Jong-In’s wife. I, Soo and Yul were very happy for her. But seeing how miserable her life had become since she became a milady. Sometimes, I just wish that time can be re-wind. It was never the fairytale we imagined for her.’’

‘’A chaebol’s life isn’t really as fancy like how you see it in the dramas Yoona-ssi.’’ Tiffany who was sitting on Jong-In’s bedside finally spoke. ‘’This kid beside me had been struggling the moment he was born in this world as the Kim family’s Sole Heir…you know, how he and Wu Fan’s life are awfully entangled.’’

The doe-eyed girl felt a faint touch on the tip of her fingers, then a faint voice hoarsely spoke, ‘’Don’t say that, Yoong… I-I did not ask for a fairytale life, I want to live a life with my family.’’

The doe-eyed girl’s eyes widened as she divert her gaze to Joo Hyun who was lying on the bed where she was sitting. ‘’Hyun!’’ tears of joy suddenly escaped her eyes as she held her best friend’s face. ‘’Hyun! Finally!’’

Everybody went near to the milady and saw her finger’s slowly moving, as she struggles to open her eyes, and when she finally opened them. She spoke, ‘’…it’s Yi Xing.’’ She confirmed that they were suspecting the right person.

‘’We know Hyun.’’ Wu Fan spoke, cupping her small face with his huge hands. ‘’…we’ll definitely find them for you so don’t push yourself too hard. That’s a promise.’’

 

 

-----------

 

Afternoon came and Wu Fan received a call from Samsung sniper Kyuhyun. The private sage has already received a lead to Lay’s location.

‘’I understand, so in the Executives’ village in Suwon district.’’ The mysterious gentleman confirmed.

‘’Neh, Mr. Wu, my lead reported that they’ve seen the exact car that was used to Lady Soo Jung’s hit-and-run in one of the open garage there. And the people there barely even know the young man leaving in that old estate. They say that he just arrived there two months ago, and few people told us that he often goes off during night time.’’ Private sage Kyuhyun explained. ‘’…but please do wait for our information in two hours. I will be there to confirm it myself. Lay is Zhang Yi Xing, the young man who caused the arson in the Kim family’s mansion.’’

‘’Yes.’’ The mysterious gentleman replied with a sigh. Lay has really put him into a complicated disposition. He is his brother, though they are not blood related. Rebuking his Wu family because of their wrong doings has been hurting him all along. He does not want to sue them, but he needs to be just in order to protect his other family who is their target – his Kim family.

‘’Then the search and rescue will happened in no time if we have confirmed the lead.’’ The sage affirmed.

 ‘’Thank you.’’

The mysterious gentleman ended his conversation with the Samsung sage.

‘’Complicated, huh?’’ Soo Jung spoke, maneuvering her wheelchair to his direction.

He uttered a bitter smile to her, and looked down on the floor.

‘’Yi Xing…I mean, Lay. Though I hate him for screwing me here, he’s your brother. I will forgive him for that fact.’’ She tried to lighten up the awful aura surrounding them. Wu Fan has been the one caught in between their situation all along.

‘’It’s really hard to become the one in middle you know.’’ He let out his feelings.

‘’It is complicated because the one you are rebuking right now is your loved one. You are hurt since you love them who are doing all these bad things all along.’’ the heiress reaches one of his hands and comfortingly squeezed it.

He nodded. His agony cannot be denied as his weary orbs say it all.

‘’It’s really ironic to feel awful when we are doing what is right.’’ She chuckled, having thought that she had done the same thing in the past for Jong-In.

‘’Doing the right thing…is completely different from being happy Soo Jung.’’ He leaned forward to see his face better and pinched her cheeks. ‘’…though Lay’s giving me a head ache now, I’m happy to do everything I can to protect Jong-In , Joo Hyun, and even you.’’

The heiress' eyes widened as the last phrase echoed inside her head.

The mysterious gentleman smiled at her warmly though it was obvious that his expression was mixed with bitterness.

Her cheeks felt warm, and it showed a tinged of red. ‘’Yah! Are you confessing?’’ she irked, as frustration grows in her.

His brows narrowed as he moved his face an inch nearer to the young lady, ‘’Whatever Soo Jung, sometimes I think you must have been secretly crushing on me.’’

The heiress has playfully pushed his face away from hers. She would have fallen for him at any rate if only he did not ruin the atmosphere.

‘’Conceited!’’ she irritably screeched. Switching back to their real conversation, she spoke again, ‘’I trust you that we’ll be able to rescue the twins. All will be alright…but honestly, Jong-In’s back. He’s here for his family. After this, what are you planning to do?’’

He was amused by the way she thinks. It has been a moment since he lived his life just for the present not thinking about tomorrow. It was almost a year since he took over taking care of Seohyun, and he has really gotten used to it. Truthfully, there are times that he forgets that he was taking care of younger brother’s wife, no his own.

He was thrown aback by the latter’s inquiry, that it took him a moment to answer her, ‘’I…I. I will live the same. I’m Jong-In’s hyung, and I’m the twins’ Samchon (uncle).’’

The burden in his answer was completely felt by the heiress. ‘’Samchon? I mean, I know how you will feel about it.’’

‘’After all these, I will go back to where I’m supposed to be Soo Jung.’’

‘’So you came all the way here and bear all the weight, then once you fixed everything you’ll come back to the place as if nothing has changed?’’ she was completely amused with the latter’s answer. She was as if conversing to a living saint.

‘’Neh, Isn’t that what I’m supposed to do?’’ then he leaned forward to her again. ‘’…or you want to come with me?’’

She let out a hearty laugh. Despite their situation, the latter could still have a nerve to lighten up things with his ways. In her case, as her close companion, Wu Fan never failed to make her feel comfortable. Though not in a romantic way since both of them is in-love with another person. ‘’Don’t push yourself to me like that, I know you love Joo Hyun-unnie that’s why you have come this far.’’

She knocked him at some point. It’s a fact that he had let himself endure all the hardships because he loves the milady. But Soo Jung was completely unaware that he has slowly opened his heart towards her.

Suddenly, Wu Fan gave a peck on her forehead. ‘’Yes, but things might slowly change. Since you and I are closer now.’’

Then he walked away leaving the heiress with half-gaping in the silent hallway.

 

 

 

While their guardians were having their nap time, Joo Hyun just woke up panting. She was just awoken from a bad dream where she saw Jong-In brawling with the familiar man who has a huge scar on the side of his face covered with a side flipped hair – it was Yi Xing. She remembered that she could barely even move an inch though she was already hearing sounds around her.

 

‘’Y-you, what are you doing here again? Stop –‘’ Jong-In was helplessly took down by the serene gentleman by fiercely pinning him on the wall and quickly injected a liquid that immediately made him unconscious.

She has witnessed the hideous scene. She wanted to shout for help, but unfortunately the serene gentleman have turned to her and paced towards her.

Her eyes widened that even her fingers which could barely move got paralyzed once again. Yi Xing smirked at her, and beckoned her to be still and be quiet.

-End of Flashback

 

She looked at the ceiling, then to the IV line connected to her hand. Then she felt the weight of somebody snuggling beside her. It was the doe-eyed girl. From her periphery she noticed that the room was too big for one person, and then she noticed another hospital bed, with a man lying on it, and another man who was sleeping on the seat beside the hospital bed of the man.

She immediately recognized Chanyeol who was the one sleeping on the seat, and then she diverted her attention to the person in bad. It was Jong-In, sleeping.

Her anxiety for the latter heightens up, but from observing that the room was not for terminal patients a tear of relief escaped her eyes. She thanked God that they’re alive.

 ‘’J-jong-In…’’ she faintly called out as she tries to move her hands.

The doe-eyed girl immediately woke up from her nap, all attentive to her best friend’s condition.

‘’Hyun. You’re awake!’’ she widely smiled. ‘’Are you hungry? What do you want to eat?’’

‘’Where am I exactly right now? ‘’

‘’You just recovered from coma Hyun.’’ Then the doe-eyed girl offered the grapefruit from the basket on the small table near them.

‘’But what really happened to Jong-In?’’ she anxiously asked the older girl about her husband’s condition as she struggle to sit down on her bed, but her arms were still weak. Actually, she even looked more fragile than ever since she has gone comatose for several days.

‘’Don’t push yourself too hard Hyun!  Please! I will not be good for you!’’ the doe-eyed girl reminded her helping her to sit on her bed. ‘’His doctor say that he’s alright, even if that Yi Xing injected him an double dose of general anesthesia in his arm. Seems that the one who did this doesn’t really want to kill…is he playing on you or something?’ He’s enemies with Jong-In, since it looks like they’ve fought before your husband became like that.’

‘’Thank goodness, he might have killed my husband if he injected it in his backbone!’’ it’s a relief to her and to the doe-eyed girl; they’re aware what might happen to the husband if the serene gentleman had injected him the general anesthesia somewhere else. ‘’But you know, the anesthesia’s side effect right Yoong? did the doctor told you something?’’

‘’They told us just to wait until Jong-In wakes up until tomorrow morning. Don’t push yourself too hard over thinking, it’s wasn’t lethal dose…f it were, Jong-In will not be here.’’ The doe-eyed girl’s face turned into a bitter expression. ‘’But there’s something to worry over more Hyun…’’

‘’What is it?’’ Seohyun’s heart skipped a beat.

‘’Your twins got kidnapped by him.’’

‘’Mwo?’’ terror got into the younger girl, ‘’What did you say? My twins?’’

‘’Neh, Hyun…that Yi Xing…that’s his purpose why he got in –‘’

Seohyun became hysterical as she pushed herself to stand up, and pulled out the needle of her IV line that as if it were nothing. ‘’My twins! I-I need to get them!’’

Yoona was forced to push the younger girl back to her bed since she knows that the latter will not think of herself anymore. It was a mistake that she even told her about the kidnapping of her twins. ‘’Everyone’s looking for them. Please Hyun! ‘’ she begged, damping a white clean cloth to the blood dripping out of her veins from the back of her hand, ‘’Don’t do this!’’

The milady used all her might to resist her friend and stubbornly stood up from her bed. ‘’No Yoong! There’s no way I could let my babies!’’ Her gait was not still stable, her legs were still shaking that she even fell on her knees as she reached the doe-eyed girl’s hand. ‘’Please Yoong! Let’s find them. I can’t just stay here and do nothing!’’

Soon as her voice resound the room, Chanyeol woke up from his deep slumber, stood up and helped the doe-eyed girl to put back Seohyun in her bed. ‘’Joo Hyun-noona, please calm down!’’

‘’I need to get my babies back to me!’’ she cried on top of her voice.

‘’Everyone’s looking for them, noona.’’

‘’Please let me find them.’’ She tried to stand up once again, ‘’Understand me, those were my children! Please understand me!’’

The animated gentleman pulled the milady into a hug, trying his best to calm her. ‘’Noona, entrust this to us. You need to be strong first so we can find them.’’

‘’I’ve slept long enough! I’ve rested long enough Yeol!’’ she attempted to emancipate from the animated gentleman’s tight embrace. ‘’L-Let’s find them!’’

Chanyeol looked at Yoona beckoned her to call the nurse for help since they know that Seohyun will stubbornly insist and might do something worse than plugging off her IV line just escape.

When the nurses came, they inserted back the IV line to the milady’s hand and injected a sedative in order for her to fall asleep.

----------

 

From the wide window of his executive estate in Suwon, Lay sneakily checked on his window if the cost is clear and if no one was spying on him. Then he went on the back exit of his apartment and did the same thing. There, he found out that a man was seemingly checking his apartment from afar. He then, closed the back door and went to the room where the twins are.

Then he took his hand phone from the table adjacent from the incubator of the twins and called someone.

He checked his surroundings from the window once more, and he finally saw a sniper from a short distant acacia tree several meters away from his apartment.

He thought that the mysterious gentleman have gone too far. He even sent sages and snipers just to get a single man – just to get him.

 

 

Wu Fan was all alone the empty hall way near Soo Jung’s room when his phone rang and received a call from an unknown number.

He knew that it was Lay, so he answered the call fiercely, ‘’Where the hell are you?’’

‘’Command your men to retreat if you still want to see the twins alive.’’ he wickedly hissed.

‘’Don’t you dare, lay a finger on them or else I will not think twice…I will kill you!’’ Wu Fan shot back. His orbs were full of anger as his impatience atop him.

‘’See? Your true color shows.’’ The serene gentleman scoffed.

‘’it’s because you’ve gone too far Lay! You’ve gone too far!’’

‘’The day after tomorrow… try to get them IF YOU CAN. Personally.’’