September Part 3

The Heir's Love Story

 

‘’Nurse Kim monitor her blood pressure and pulse rate!’’ Dr. Xi requested his assistant nurse as he wiped balls of sweat formed on his forehead.

‘’Pulse rate 60 beats minute, her BP is 70/30!’’ the attending nurse replied to him. Her vital signs were at its worse.

Dr. Xi looked at his clock and looked at his patient’s face. Within five minutes Joo Hyun please at least raise it…plus ten more to your PR and BP so I can proceed to do the operation. Please! He begged, it was one of the worse vital signs he has ever experienced in his Obstetrician-gynecologist career. He remembered his first Cesarean operation when his patient had such low pulse rate and blood pressure; he was able to save the infant but unfortunately not the mother. Hence, it’s a moment when Joo Hyun would decide for herself whether to live or die.

 

He instructed his surgical team to prepare his C-section tools near to him. Milady Kim just had Placenta abruptio – a condition where a mother’s placenta already detaches from the wall of the uterus before the baby is born. In her case, since she has twins inside her womb and her delivery was due to a mild trauma, Dr. Xi presumed that it will be not another placental abruption case that he is ought to solve. He is expecting to face trauma or hemorrhage which will make the cesarean procedure more intricate.

Five minutes passed, and his nurse aid monitored Seohyun’s vital signs once again, ‘’PR 71 beats per minute, BP 80/40!’’

All of them inside the delivery area obviously had felt relief. Normally, pregnant woman who had experienced such low vital sign would have their condition worsen, resulting to coma and her infant’s death.

‘’…But the patient had all her placenta abrupt and now is experiencing hemorrhage.’’ The nurse added,

He looked at the nurse, it’s time for him to decide whether to proceed or not. He needs to save them and he was left with no choice but to cling on the slim chance to make the procedure successful. He wasn’t called the youngest double titled physician for nothing, and he needed to live up to it.

He raised both of his hands with surgical gloves on signaling the surgical team that he would pursue the C-section delivery.

 

 

Wu Fan and Chanyeol keep pacing back and forth, while Jong-In was still in shock of the incident that just happened. The three of them were uneasily waiting in obverse of the operating room that Dr. Xi would appear and would report that Seohyun’s cesarean delivery was successful.

‘’Hyun-noona…’’ Chanyeol buried his face in his huge palms as he began to tear up.

Wu Fan stopped in one place near his younger brother as he darted him with stare.

Jong-In perceived that his older brother was looking on his way. He doesn’t have a face to show, his courage was not enough to look back at him.

What should I do? I didn’t mean it. No one wants that to happen. Guilt was all-over him, his hands were trembling for remembering that he was the one who pushed her.

 ‘I never thought that this will happen to her.’’ the mysterious gentleman suddenly spoke.

‘’S…sorry.’’ Jong-In whispered.

‘’Say that to her once she’s okay.’’ Wu Fan aid bluntly.

 

 

Five hours passed since the operation began. All of them were all worn out. Chanyeol already fall into slumber leaning his back sloppily on the wall sitting flat on the tiled floor, Wu Fan was the same while Jong-in was the only one who was wide awake still contemplating of what he did and what should he do after Seohyun’s delivery.

He sat on his bended knees, as tears started to crawl down his face. Finally, he felt that familiar feeling as guilt occupied him. Please, deliver them well. But please be safe. I will not mind if you’ll blame me every day for what happened today. Just please, be safe, Joo Hyun. I’m sorry.

As he stared blankly on the ground memories of how he met the milady started to run inside his mind, slowly, and accordingly.

Harabeoji forced me to transfer to another section. I was upset about it, especially when he told me about the reason why I have to. It’s because I need to meet the girl he favors to become my wife.

I had no choice but to do his will. That day came, and I met her for the first time. I thought, Harabeoji’s idea was not so bad after all. All the more when I knew how she is like as a daughter, she’s someone a family would love to have as one – polite, hardworking, and beautiful. She’s stubborn, and she’s firm with her perspectives, it took my whole self just to convince her to agree on our marriage – but I was able to convince her. Though I don’t know why I feel happy, I’m happy.

I was afraid that our marriage won’t work. It’s because it was supposed to be a play-pretend marriage bound into a contract. But every day, as I get to know her more I eventually wished that our marriage will come true.  We’ll be together; she will be my better half.

It has been a rough road for me, she’s stubborn and she thinks completely different from me. What made it even harder is that she’s beautiful. Men falls for her easily, all the more once they get to know her deeper. Our marriage was like a curse to her, being entangled with me she has to experience losing his father. Being Milady Kim of the Kim family isn’t all about being the most affluent woman in Asia, it’s also about living a life full of peril despite the tremendous wealth.

Flashbacks ran chronologically, from blurry it eventually became vivid to him.

He realized how long the time he missed, how long he needed to catch up. From horrible incident that happened during nineteenth birthday until that very moment. He missed becoming a husband and a father to his wife and soon-to-be children.

 

 

Moments later Dr. Xi came out of the operating room, he was at first skeptical who he was about to call whether it’s Wu Fan or Jong-In. He turned to Wu Fan at first but found him sleeping, so he turned to Jong-In who was exactly anticipating for him.

‘’Mr. Kim.’’ The young obstetrician gynecologist called him.

‘’Neh Dr. Xi.’’ The heir snappily got up and approached the doctor, ‘’…how is Joo Hyun? How’s the babies?’’

 ‘’The children are safe….’’ He halted himself.

‘’How’s Joo Hyun?’’ Jong-In’s knees weirdly felt weak as he asked about his wife again.

Dr. Xi just looked at him.

‘’H-how’s Joo Hyun?’’  He repeated his question, as he tugged on the physician’s shoulder. He perceived Dr. Xi’s silence, he perceived that he will dislike the next thing he might tell him, but still hoped that it’s the other way around. ‘’…h-how is she?’’

The young physician took a short moment before answering him. ‘’Mrs. Kim’s in a coma right now. Hemorrhage occurred in her cervicol area before I was able to perform the cesarean procedure to her, her placenta was completely drained out that made her delivery even more difficult.’’

He asked in desperation, ‘’W-what? What should we do?’’

‘’What should we do Dr. Xi?’’ another voice asked him the same question from nowhere, it was Wu Fan. He got up and approached him. ‘’What should we do now?’’ the mysterious gentleman asked Dr. Xi again giving Jong-In a dagger look.

‘’That I cannot answer, only Joo Hyun knows when she will wake up.’’ the young physician admit. ‘’I was expecting the other way around. I guess she really pushed herself to deliver them safe.’’

‘’What do you mean?’’ the mysterious gentleman asked, his mind was slowly getting blank for knowing that Joo Hyun was at her critical state.

‘’In her case, it’s most likely that the twins will not survive…I’ve handled few cases like hers before, it’s a miracle that the twins were safe, and she’s also alive.’’ Dr. Xi breathed deeply as he patted both gentlemen’s shoulders, ‘’All we could do now is have hope.’’ He himself for the first time in his career believed at chance; Joo Hyun is also a friend to him – though he knows himself that scientifically she has a slim chance to survive.

"Tell me..." Jong-In made the physician face him. "How is Joo Hyun, honestly?"

The young physician retrieved himself from the heir's grip and directly looked at him in his eyes, "If you will not hope for the best, I tell you she has a very slim chance to survive."

He gripped on Dr. Xi once more, but his hands got weak as he shortly contemplated from his words. He turned back to them and slowly walked away from them. He was miserably lonely,he did not want to accept the young physician's words, he did not want it to register in his mind.

"Can we see her now? Can we see the babies?" Wu Fan asked Dr. Xi as he watched his younger brother slowly walked away from them.

The young physician perceived the tension between the two just be observing how Wu Fan looked at Jong-In. He also perceived that the heir has finally got back into his normal self by just observing the way he react on their current situation. He spoke to the mysterious gentleman, "You can see the babies now Mr. Wu, and Mrs. Kim later. But please extend your understanding to Mr. Kim."

The mysterious gentleman did not like the young physician's tone, "What do you mean by that?"

"At this time, you should know that Mrs. Kim needed her husband the most. Mr. Kim is needed by his family now." he patted Wu Fan's shoulder.

"Who are you to tell me that? You know are circumstances now. Jong-In is no good to his family. In fact, he's the one who caused this to her." he shoved Dr. Xi's hand from his shoulder feeling aggravated to his words.

"Aside from being Mrs. Kim's Ob-Gyn, I'm their Psychologist Mr. Wu." He stated the obvious fact.

 

Though offended by Dr. Xi's words, he had no choice but to suppress his feelings, he needed to endure it. Definitely, it's the young physician's job to understand human behavior scientifically. And no matter how he place himself in Joo Hyun's life, he will just always be the next man after Jong-In.

Dr. Xi smiled at him, "You're angry, you're jealous...I know it, but please do let it get into you Mr. Wu. Be strong until the end if you really love her."

"Don't talk to me like we're close companions Dr. Xi."

"Sorry." the young physician chuckled. "...but I won't take my words back Mr. Wu. Be strong for Mrs. Kim. Do what's right even if it does hurt you, that's love right?." Then he left them.

When the young physician completely walked away from them the mysterious gentleman walk up to his younger brother, made him face him by grabbing him from his collar. "Look what you've done to her!"

Jong-In kept his head down; he doesn't hear a thing around him. He was completely clouded by his thoughts of his wife and he looks completely irritating to his older brother.

The mysterious gentleman already balled his fist and was already aiming to give his younger brother a merciless punch, but as he thought of Dr. Xi's advice to him he managed to hold back. "If you just know how bad I feel right now...I want to be by Joo Hyun's side, but you're the one she needs the most, not Me."

"Sorry, Wu Fan...hyung." the heir muttered almost incoherently.

The more Jong-In apologize to him, the more he becomes annoying in his older brother's eyes.

This time, Wu Fan let himself blow his fist on his younger brother's face. Chanyeol saw it from a short distance and ran in between them just in case the mysterious gentleman would beat Jong-In up. "Please Kris-hyung, not this time!"

 

 

Few passive days has gone. Still, Milady Kim was in the coma. It was almost a week since she delivered her twins - an identical pair of a son and a daughter.

Jong-In haven't named them yet. He was hoping that sooner, Seohyun will wake up. He's been restless and literally sleepless for days. He did not want to leave her side, though there are times when Wu Fan is around, clash would happen.

 

‘’Hyun, can you wake up now? I can’t name them alone.’’ He s his hand under her thick sheets and held her hand.

 

 

The sun has just set when Soo Jung's therapy ended. Wu Fan was the one who accompanied her. He was the one pushing her wheel chair on their way going back to her room when she suddenly suggested to visit the newly born Kim twins in the Neonatal Intensive Care unit. "Oppa, I want to the twins. Can we visit them for just a bit?"

"Sure, but aren't you tired already? You were struggling to finish twenty meters just now."

"I'm riding a wheelchair and your pushing Me." she chuckled stating the obvious. "I just want to see them."

She looked straight to his eyes; he knew that he was trying to avoid something. "Oppa, I know you wanted to take care of them as your own...but Jong-In's back already."

Wu Fan just reached one of her hand and squeezed it. At least one person understands him.

"You should be happy; I can take care of you now. We can date without someone interfering." he jested.

"I know how it feels. No one has replaced Jong-In in my heart, yet. If he's still my seatmate just like before, there will certainly be a fight between me and Joo Hyun-unnie."  she beckoned him to kneel down as she cupped his face with her hands. "...but that's not our situation now. You're already an Uncle, I'm already a god-mother. Let's just love them the best way we can."

Then they paid visit to the twins. They saw two beautiful angels whose eyes and noses obviously resembled Joo Hyun, but obviously got long and slender body frame of their father Jong-In. Both were healthy, except for the fact that medics needed to pay more attention to them since they've been delivered crucially by their mother.

 

 

Not from a far, someone was observing them keenly.

A fine-looking young gentleman wearing a long laboratory coat of a doctor and wearing thick spectacles, with his hair tossed aside covering a scar, Lay.

So this time is still visiting hours? Would they mind if I visit those cuties sooner?

 

 

Several days passed, and the Nation Liscensure Exam just passed. Yoona, Yuri, and Sooyoung visited their youngest Seohyun in the hospital as they finished their examination.

It was not their first time to visit her in the hospital, and like the milady's family, the three of them were hoping that there will be a progress in her condition.

They were walking in the hospital's hallway going to Seohyun's room when Sooyoung accidentally bumped into a young doctor wearing an unusually thick spectacle with a quite unusual flipped-side hair.

"I'm sorry." she apologized. The physician just stared at them briefly, turning his head down and fastened his pace.

Yuri watched him carefully until he completely got away. "I never thought that there are doctors care about fashion sense." she jested, though she sensed that the young physician who just passed by was someone she encountered or perhaps been with before. ‘’He’s kind of cute, I think I saw him somewhere.’’

‘’Kwon Yul. We’re here to visit Hyunnie! Who’s that cute guy anyway?’’ Yoona jokingly scooted her.

‘’The doctor.’’ She laughed. ‘’…with the weird fashion sense.’’

‘’Gosh, he is WEIRD, Yul. WEIRD!’’ Sooyoung countered her.