Persistence

The Heir's Love Story

Finally, the bloody day has ended; Seohyun head back immediately to their restaurant at Namsan without even saying a word to her unnies.

Jong-In was about to ask her again about if she can do the biggest favor of his life, but he packed his things quiet slow and stayed in the laboratory for quiet long that he was not able to approach his partner after the dreadful Blood Bank practical exam.

‘Shoot! I’m gonna waste my oxygenated blood for nothing. ‘He thought.

Indeed, he needs her cooperation, and he was thinking of that in exchange of his threatened life due to her carelessness. He thought that it would be fair enough for the deal so he approached Sooyoung and asked Seohyun’s where-about, “Choi Sooyoung-ssi do you know where Seohyun is?”

The tall girl shot a sheepish grin and turn giddy upon hearing his question, “You mean your wife-to-be?”

“W-well yes. My wife-to-be.” He was still not used in addressing his partner like that. It even made him lag for a second thinking for the most appropriate response.

“I’m not sure, but I think Joo-Hyunnie already went home. You know, your wife is such a good daughter, she even helps in their restaurant after a stressful day here in school. “

“I see. Can you tell me where her place is so I can meet her tonight?” he asked. It’s all painted in him that he was in a rush.

“Excited much, eh?” the tall girl attempted to lighten up the mood, “Your wife lives in midtown Namsan. Well, two blocks away from downtown Namsan. Their family’s Korean restaurant is quiet popular there, look for Dong bang restaurant.”

“Thanks Soo!” he patted her shoulder, sprinted out of the classroom, and set off.

“Jong-In-ah!” the tall girl got startled by his insanely fast reflexes.

“What’s up with him Soo?” Yuri asked the taller girl.

“He’s up to Joo Hyun, Yul! For real. I think he is going to propose in front of uncle and auntie Seo. I think he is going to ask for permission!” she hyped up.

“Bwo?” the tanned girl screeched in disbelief. “You thin he is looking for her because of the marriage issue he opened few days ago? Not because of any group work?

“I think so Yul!” she squeezed he tanned girl’s arms as her hyped haven’t gone down.

“Cut that Soo! You’re over thinking again!” the tanned girl countered the taller girl’s conclusion.

“Who knows, I’m stating probability here, not just possibility!”

----------

“…At midtown Namsan, bbali-wa! He commanded his chauffer.

“Y-Yes young master!” the chauffer who fear the shouting Jong-In” the chauffer nervously replied as he the engine of the executive Jaguar, and set off.

 While they were on their way to the said location the driver noticed his young master’s serious expression on the mirror reflection. So he asked, “Is something bothering you, young master?”

“Nothing.” He denied. “Just keep on driving so I can talk to Joo Hyun.” his facial expression and his tone said it all that he was indeed chasing somebody.

“Joo Hyun! A girl, young master?” he asked again as he processed the obvious answer in his head. His question has an upbeat tone that raised the heir’s temper.

He gave his driver a noxious stare as he kneaded his temples due to his driver’s questions.

“Are you interrogating me?” he shot his driver a piercing question.

He knew his young master very well. Balls of cold sweat formed on his forehead, he just angered a lion, “No young master. I-I will focus on driving. I-I’m sorry.”

------------

As they arrived in the said place, Jong-In immediately got off from his car but got frozen from where he was standing as he saw where the girl he is about to marry lives in.

It’s a three storey white old building with a medium sized Korean restaurant as its ground floor, and the latter floors seems to be renovated as a house since there were some plants that can be seen on the 2nd and 3rd floor verandas of the building.

He then looked at the vicinity, and found that it was a busy place where there are students and office people who are walking on the streets and an obviously huge wet market two blocks down the road where the restaurant is located. He concluded that it’s a downtown – the downtown part of Namsan which Sooyoung was talking about. It was his first time going to such place.

As he entered the humble restaurant; he stood tall and looked for his seatmate he was chasing. There were lots of customers inside the eating place since it’s the peak hour – time for dinner.

As he scanned the whole place for a few more seconds, he finally saw Joo Hyun serving food for a family in one of the occupied tables.

 

‘She works as a waitress here?’ he initially perceived as he tries to process things from based from the surroundings atmosphere.

“Anneyeong-hasaeyo, what can I do for you young man?” a voice from a woman whose in her early fifties greeted him.

“Neh? He replied unknowingly for being so focused to Joo Hyun.

“What can I do for you young man?” the old lady asked him again.

He finally got into his senses and noticed the old woman standing in front of him.

“Mianhamnida ajjumma.” He apologized for the impoliteness he just did. “But do you know Seo Joo Hyun? I’ve been looking for her. Ms. Choi Sooyoung told me that this is the place she’s living in.” 

“Omo! You’re looking for my daughter? Are you classmates with Joo Hyun and her friends? Just wait for a minute and have something to eat since it’s already dinner.” The old woman led him in a table for two and served him instant tea.

“Kamsahamnida Mrs. Seo.” He thanked Seohyun’s mother awkwardly for realizing that he just encountered his mother-in-law.

“No problem.” Mrs. Seo assured the latter. “By the way what’s your name young man?”

“It’s Kim Jong-In Mrs. Seo.”

“Okay Jong-In-ah. I’ll just call her; she’s in the kitchen now.”

 

Few minutes later Joo Hyun got out from the kitchen escorted by her mother and went to see the heir who was waiting for her.

“Jong-In, what are you doing here?” she asked furrowing her eyebrows for seeing the heir.

He let out an awkward smile. “Annyeong hasaeyo Joo Hyun-ssi, Sooyoung-ssi told me that you lived in here so I came to see you.”

“Then what’s your purpose of going all the way in here?” she retorted her question.

"Like what I said, I came here to see you Joo Hyun. There’s something we need to talk about. "He expounded his statement and turned o Mrs. Seo.” Could you please give me a moment so I can talk to your daughter, Mrs. Seo?”

The old woman saw the seriousness written all over the heir’s face, “No problem, and you are well-mannered young man. It is very rare to see one these days. I’ll leave you two for a moment. Please wait for dinner.” The old woman gave him a warm smile before leaving the two of them.

“Umma!” Joo Hyun suddenly called out.

The heir gave her a beseeching look, beckoning her that he gravely needed to talk to her at that very moment.

“What is it Joo Hyunnie?” her mother asked as she glanced back to the two youngster.

“Where are you going?”  She asked the lamest question as an excuse.

“Of course in the kitchen honey.” Her mother shot her a sweet smile.

‘Oh great, you’re too nice to him umma. You judged him by his looks not even wondering what he is really up to me.’  She thought as she set her focus to Jong-in who was sitting across her, “What is it again?”

He inhaled deeply before talking it all out a once, “Well, I came here to talk to you about the same matter.”

“Again?” her eyebrows furrowed hearing his words.

She almost lost her composure picturing the idea of the marriage he was proposing.

‘Yes, I came all the way here to discuss it with you.” he let out a straight answer.

“I can’t see your point of doing that. Don’t you think that it’s too selfish for you to ask?” her tone started to rise.

He looked at the view of the kitchen where her parents was in before beaming back at her, and responded almost whispering, “I know, I am quiet asking for much. No, I am really asking for much. But I’m really helpless without you. I badly need your help Joo Hyun-ssi.”

He then put his hand on top of her hand that was resting on the wooden table.

“You’re only thinking of yourself again, Jong-In-ssi. What about the feelings of the people around you? What about the feelings of the person you are asking to marry you? Aren’t you thinking that that person must have a complete perception of marriage in contrast to yours?” I personally think that you should marry the person you really love not just marry the person because you need him or her as a requirement for some inheritance.”

He let out a deep sigh upon hearing such strong statements. If it is another girl he knew he would get a Yes within a split second. But Joo Hyun is different, she is something. At least it came to him that not all people were after his wealth. He hen squeezed the latter’s hand, “Of curse I also consider your feelings. But then again, I badly need your help right now.”

“If you do, then don’t ask me that favor again.”

“Joo Hyun, I thought of an idea about it. Please cooperate, marry me.”

“You’re making me crazy Jong-In-ah. Really!” she retracted her hand from his grip.

He leaned close to her and uttered, “Let’s get married then after a year once everything is under my name let’s divorce so we can both get what we want.”

“What?” I know for the fact that you’re an intelligent person. But your views in life is kind of disturbing.” she let out a bold opinion.

“You said that I should think about the way you feel. Marry me, and then I’ll give you what you want. I’ll let you study in Med school, even make a hospital under your name. Just help me become a true heir. Then if divorce is what you want after a year then I’ll give it to you.”

A hand flew hard on his face. It’s a fact that she dreams of becoming a doctor someday. But reading between the lines of his statements he is just really up for his inheritance which for uncertain reason she hates a lot every time he opens up about it. She wants to marry a person who will truly love her not because of wealth but because of sincere love. “I never thought that you’re this kind of person.”

 

 

She stood up and left him alone dumbfounded and went to the kitchen where her parents were busy cooking.

“What happened to you Joo Hyunnie?” her mother wrapped her arms around her after feeling her heavy steps. She suddenly felt stuffy as tears started to form on the inner side of her eyes for the second time this day.

She has no idea why every time she hears his statement s regarding the marriage she suddenly feels bad and enraged. It’s not like they are a real couple who just fought. But for some reasons, she hated his idea of marrying and divorcing after a year.

“Omo! Our baby is crying yeobo.” Mr. Seo noticed his daughter’s watery eyes, enveloped with a hug by his wife at that moment.

Mrs. Seo broke her hug and looked at her daughter’s face intently, “Did that young man made you cry?’ tell us, what he did to you?”

“Umma, that’s Jong-In he-“

But before she could finish her sentence she was but by the pleasing voice, “Please Joo Hyun-ssi. Marry me.”

The family beamed all at the same time at the direction of the kitchen where the voice came from, Jong-in followed her and was pleading to her in front of her parents.

“Bwo?” Mr. Seo almost dropped the knife from his hand.

“Anneyeong haseoyo Mr. Seo, Mrs. Seo, chonun Kim Jong-In imnida. Manaseopangapsumnida father-in-law, mother-in-law.” He introduced himself formally as gave his in-laws the most respectful 90 degree bow.

“Kim Jong-In?” Mr. Seo contemplated for a second. “By any chance, are you the grandson of my father’s master Grand Master Kim?”

“ Neh Mr. Seo I’m the grandson of Grand Master Kim.”

“And by any chance you are the gentleman tied to marry our daughter Joo Hyun am I right?”

“Huh?” she took a step away from her parents. “Appa, Umma…” she sounded as she gave them a bewildered look. “Don’t tell me you all know this marriage issue all the way?”

“Well your grandfather made this marriage agreement with Grand Master Kim when both of you were still kids.” Mr. Seo started explaining as he turns his attention to the heir,” I remember you Jong-In, when you were still a baby my father baby-sits you a lot.”

Her father attempted to lighten up the mood as he noticed heavy commotion stirring inside his daughter.

“So both of you, Appa and Umma knew this marriage arrangement for a long time?” She wore a concluding and obviously disappointed look.

“It’s been bothering us that it might distract you from your studies Hyunnie.” Her mother tries to reason out.

“At least you just have to inform me about it. And isn’t that I am the one involved here?” her tone started to rise, and shot a sharp side stare at Jong-In.

“Hyunnie, are you not happy about it?” her mother switch emotion. She’s not against the fixed marriage but she also cares a lot about her daughter’s feelings. In fact, she cares about how she feels the most.

Not wanting to disappoint her parents and considering her sudden stubborn attitude towards them, she contemplated for a second and replied.

“It-it’s not that I don’t want to but umma –“

“You don’t hate it, so what’s bothering you Hyunnie?’ her father cut her.

“N-nothing. It’s just that I don’t want to rush things like marriage.” She lied.

“Ahem.” Jong-In purposely scoffed to get their attention. “But according to my Grandfather, we are meant to get marry within this year.”

The heir abused the situation leaving the poor girl with no option.

“Neh, Joo Hyun. I almost forgot what your grandfather told us. Your marriage will take part once you turn 21, and you’re already 21.” Mr. Seo added.

Joo Hyun was really helpless at that moment. Her parents knew everything all along and Jong-In was fully favored. It felt that a whole sac of ice cubes was dropped into her whole body. She did not have any idea what kind of reaction she have to throw or whether her opinion still matters knowing that everything was settled many years ago.

Indeed, heavens listened to his pleading, but as he looked at her and saw her reaction. He felt not-so-good and just massaged his nape. “The thing is, its quiet embarrassing since the phase is too fast, in-laws.”

“There’s nothing to be ashamed of Jong-In-ssi. Your grandfather has been really good to us, and I believe that you are the same as well. Besides you are going to be a part of this family soon.”

Mr. Seo did not catch the real meaning of his son-in-law’s statement. He then wrapped his arms to the heir’s shoulders, and asked his daughter, “Joo-Hyun-ah, don’t you like to marry a gentleman like Jong-In?”

The question even stressed her, but she cannot avail to rebel for the second time, “Appa!”

Unknowingly, her skin turned flustered red, both of her parents including Jong-In noticed it.

“Omo, seems that our baby knows how to look on boys now.” Mrs. Seo hugged her daughter as she let out a small chuckle.

“It’s not that – “she tried to reason out but her mother’s hug was tight, signaling the obvious happiness and excitement.

Being a good daughter she chose not to blurt a single word anymore.

----------

After the evening shift of serving customers in the restaurant, Jong-In walked with Seohyun on the streets for several minutes to take a glimpse of mid-town Namsan’s vicinity before heading back to the mansion.

“So this is how your day ends, Joo Hyun-ssi.” He concluded.

“This is how my usual life goes, Jong-In-ssi.”

He was amazed by seeing her life outside the university, and how she managed her time well. He already expected that his marriage will already be dictated by his grandfather, but unexpectedly to someone like Seohyun – an amazing average girl.

‘I guess being engaged to a typical heiress would be really boring.’  He uttered to himself as they walked their way together under the night sky.