Internship: Tercero Parte

The Heir's Love Story

It was their fourth day of internship at Seoul National University Hospital, and though the four were still new there, it was a good thing that they were getting by. Jong-in and Krystal was still designated in the Blood Bank section just freezing blood bags and preserving platelets, it was not really that complicated that they definitely made use of their time to review for the upcoming Inter-Asian battle-of-the- Wits they were about to compete, while Seohyun and Yi Xing we’re still in the Body Fluids laboratory. It was a very unfortunate day for the milady and her partner since body fluids section is always busy catering every liquid of the body; from blood, to urine, to urine, to cerebrospinal fluid, and add the fact that feces is included. Who in the world would appreciate that if you’re not a passionate medical student?  

 

“Let’s exchange shifts.” Yi Xing offered the milady who was doing the fecal analysis for about half day already.

“No, not yet I’m gonna finish this set.” She got another slide with feces, and set it in the microscope.

“That’s too messy, come on.” He disgustedly counted the remaining specimens she still needed to examine. “Have mercy on yourself, you have 1, 2,3,4,5 – 12 more specimens to deal at, you haven’t eaten lunch.”

Talking about lunch, it wasn’t really the best time to talk about it since she’s dealing with poops.

“You go grab some lunch now, Yi Xing.” She said bluntly to her partner without even diverting her gaze.

“How could I eat lunch now?” he asked totally disgusted to the smell of Joo Hyun’s working place.

“Who said that you should count poops before eating lunch, Yi Xing?” she asked him back.

“Come on partner.” He held the shoulders of the latter – he was really persistent. “My treat, I pity you because of that. I’m going to deal with those poops left for you later, just do the delivery of blood specimens in the Blood Bank section.”

“Fine. You’re too persistent; you never seem to let me decline you.” She uttered defeated as she carefully removed her gloves, and double facial mask, and apply disinfectant.

Yi Xing was indeed a gentleman to Joo Hyun; he won’t let the latter to do hard tasks as much as possible, and the fact that he has this surprisingly bright personality despite his serious image; he’s definitely a good person to be with. Well, when it comes to her – all because he needed to for his plot.

They then immediately went to the cafeteria to eat their snack-lunch together as they switched works after.


On the other side of the hospital Jong-In and Krystal was having a question and answer portion/squabble/photo-session.

“Yah Jung Soo Jung quit that! This isn’t a place for vanity!” he reminded the latter for having so much taking photos inside the blood bank laboratory, “Answer my questions, okay?”

“Fine. Fine.” She kept taking pictures with blood specimens. “Make sure it’s a difficult one so I will pay attention to you.”

“This is quite basic, and you’re no good in basic: What’s the shortest part of Small Intestine?”

He earned a sarcastic smirk from the heiress.

 

“Are you belittling me Kim Jong-In? It is the Duodenum which is approximately 10 inches long and it has a C-shaped curve that connects with Jejunum which is the second part of the small intestine. Its main function is to break down the foods in the small intestine, and the glands found in there are called Brunner’s glands which secretes duodenum’s mucus. Want me to discuss you the whole digestive system?”  She scorned the latter not wanting to be underestimated.

“Fine, Second Ms. Intelligence.” He emphasized the word second trying to aggravate the latter.

“Bring it on Jong-In, or maybe you’re the one who is Second to me?” she accepted the challenge of the heir.

“Oh really? Just ask me a question then. Make sure I would really squeeze my brain with it!” he accepted the latter’s challenge.

“I’ll give you a very easy one since it’s my first question.” She smirked. “What are the five cardinal signs of inflammation, in order okay? Answer me using the Latin terms, make sure you pronounce it clearly, mispronounced words is counted wrong.” She challenged the latter knowledgeable that the heir, though innately intelligent has a tough tongue and has tendency to sound funny when speaking another language that Hangul.

 

Hence, he was confident with himself and answered the question coolly, “Dolor (Pain), Calor (heat), Rubor (Redness), Tumor (Swelling), Function laesa (loss of function) is there any hard questions you could ask me, you prick?”

“Sheesh, you even pronounced the last one wrong it’s Functio laesa dope Jong-In not Function laesa. Improve your Latin, we might lose because of that twirled tongue of yours” she mocked the latter. “So next, what’s the term used describing an arising disease from an obscure or unknown cause?

Idiopathic.” He coolly answered.

“Sounds good on you idiot!” the heiress remarked.

 

They kept throwing questions to one another as both of them were extremely competitive that they haven't noticed that Joo Hyun already entered the blood bank room to deliver specimens. 

'These two are really a great match.' though the scene was not really romantic, she felt envy to the heiress who spends most of her time with her husband now.

She silently watched them from the dark opening of the blood bank room enough for her not to be noticed, and far enough to silently watch them.

She missed their usual bickering, and now Krystal's doing it with him.

She missed pestering him, now it's Krystal who is getting into his nerves. Who would ever think that even petty fights would eventually mean a lot to her?

Maybe fighting, crying, and hugging are essential for a husband and wife to grow to each other. And that's what they have been through.

She just got frozen in there; she couldn't do anything but to silently watch the moments of the two.

 

As they review and as the heiress kept doing her photo inside the laboratory, she went near the heir and asked, "Jong-In ah, we haven't had a picture yet. Can we have one?"

"Yes you can but NO you may not!" he responded with overwhelming sarcasm. He sure got used talking to her in that way because of spending eight long hours with her everyday.

"Please?" she attempt to use puppy face technique.

"It doesn't work Jung Soo Jung."

"Fine. Let's get back to business!" she raised both her hands in defeat, she then suddenly asked, "Jong-In-ah are you a cucumber?"

He looked at the latter with weirdly. He is not very aware of these kinds of questions called pick-up lines. "Why?"

"Because I really hate you Jong-In!" she playfully punched hIs limp.

"Aw!" he irked. The heiress is quite a good puncher. "You're manlier than I thought, Joo Hyun punches me but not like that."

"Goodness Joo Hyun-unnie again." she rolled her eyes.

"W-What's wrong with her?" he shielded his body to prevent in-coming punches from the latter.

She put her hands on her waist. "It's because I'm jealous that's all."

"Since when did you learn to get insecure with someone, Jung? I thought you're always confident with yourself?" he mocked her playfully.

"Your vocabulary Jong-In, that's the last thing I would ever feel in my life. Insecurity has never been a part of my vocabulary. For your info I said Jealous Jong-In, Jealous." she stated as a matter of fact.

Sometimes the heir could not help himself but to admire the latter's straight forwardness. There are times that she really gets annoying but it's always been her charm.

"Wow. Okay, I'm touched." He couldn’t express himself even better preventing emotional moments. "But since when have you gotten jealous like that? He asked casually since Krystal is a person who only opens to him, and probably with a very few good persons around her.

"Since you two have gotten married Jong-In, it felt like I've lost my all-time partner since then. We almost lost contact back then." she's so straightforward and so honest.

"So it upsets you if I'm not around?" he raised an eyebrow, as if he was asking a three- year- old little girl who doesn't even know how to lie about her feelings.

"Yes." she responded briefly.

"And you miss your all-time partner Jong-In?" he asked presumably.

The heiress nodded her head.

True enough, she's the person that Jong-In have been closed to for the three straight years he spent in the university. Though, their friendship revolves around competing, and mostly arguing with each other like Seohyun, Yoona, Yuri, Sooyoung's friendship it has always been Jong-In -Soo Jung tandem.

He laughed at the fact that the girl misses her. Hence, he felt flattered.

"Thanks Soo Jung." he patted her head.

"Like I am always a kid, you always pat my head when I am letting out my feelings Jong-In. Just tell me straight that you already love your wife and of course I have no chance, right? Don't worry it won't cause me a heartbreak I know the boundary of love and like you know." being straight forward that she is she was really a courageous one to admit this.

"Wow Jung Soo Jung." that was all he could say with her rebuke. For some idiopathic reason the heir's tongue got twirled even if he's not dealing with medical jargons.

“And I like you, this is the third time I am saying this to you Jong-In."

He doesn't really know what to do whenever Krystal's becoming emotionally straightforward. He is aware that there's a heavier meaning behind her straightforward words, and he couldn't accept it for he only looks at that one person.

"Okay, I'll let you take a picture with me. I don't like my fan girl contain a heavy heart because I didn't grant her wish." he jested to make the building tension between them lighter. 

"Self absurd." he earned a glare from the ice princess.

"Do you want me to take it back?" he motioned his hand for her to come near him.

The heiress took out her Samsung Galaxy tab and went near the heir for a picture. Being tall that he is he bended down a little to fit their faces on screen of the tab. "Make sure you would look pretty even when you’re beside -"

She snapped the photo but what have cut him was that she kissed his cheek without giving him a notice at all.

"Disinfectant!" Jong-In demanded as he wiped his cheek aggressively after the kiss.

"Wow huh? You're too lucky I don't give out kisses that easily." the heiress took pride of herself.

She earned a disgusted look from the latter.

 

They heard a sudden sound of glass breakage from the direction of blood bank's entrance that halted their bickering.

Jong-In's facial expression stiffened when he saw Joo Hyun picking up broken pieces of test tubes with specimens on. "Joo -"

The heiress instantly ran to help the older girl to clean up the mess.

"I was about to deliver these to you, when the tray suddenly slipped off my hands." the milady lied and fake a smile, still picking up the broken pieces of glassware.

"More like you've been there watching us all along Joo Hyun-unnie." she cleaned up the remaining body fluids that messed the floor.

The heiress is really something; she doesn't really buy excuses easily, especially when it is a lame one.

"Let me leave you two for a while, I'm just gonna wash up." the heiress excused herself before twisting the knob of the room's door.

"Okay, thanks." the older girl awkwardly smiled to the latter.

"Oh by the way." she turned to face the husband-and-wife again. "...about the kiss, I won't apologize about for that since it is intended." she then exited the room.

Joo Hyun and Jong-In could not help it but exchange stares with each other.

"I was...supposed to bring these here." she reasoned out and went to the nearest sink of the of the blood bank room.

"About that -" he attempted to explain what really happened. "Krystal and I." he pointed to the door.

"It's okay; you really don't owe me any explanation.” she faintly smiled and swiftly exited the room obviously avoiding the latter. He was left dumbfounded by her once again.


Yi Xing stretched his arms high in the air, finally only an hour was left and the dead tiring shift was about to end.

"Joo Hyun, I'm hungry again. Come on; let's go grab some snacks shall we?"

She was in her usual serious mode again which made her unbothered by the latter's invitation.

"Okay, my treat. Let's go have snacks Ms. Joo Hyun, I mean Mrs. Joo Hyun." he corrected himself as he pulled the free hand of the latter.

"Oh sorry, I didn't hear you clearly Yi Xing. You want to eat snacks? Five minutes, I'm going to wrap this up first." she pertained to finish doing her remaining urine analysis.

"Make sure to wash you hands with soap and water. And yeah, don't forget disinfectants those got positive results." he reminded heaving a sigh because of the latter.

"Thanks partner." the latter earned a warm smile from her.

"No worries." he put earphones in his ears and listened to the songs from his Ipod as he waited for another five minutes for the milady.


As they walked pass the hallway of the hospital they came across with the all-time partners Jong-In and Krystal.

Yi Xing, with his innately kindnature offered the two to have some snacks with them as well.

Jong-In and Krystal sat together and Seohyun and Yi Xing sat across them.

"This is weird; Jong-In we've been together for almost eight hours now I can't bear sticking with you like we're glued. Would you transfer beside Joo Hyun-unnie?" Krystal whined.

Jong-In looked at his wife for an approval.

"No, it's okay Krystal." Seohyun declined.

He got disappointed being rejected by keeping himself silent.

"Joo Hyun what do you want?" Yi Xing asked removing the earphones from his ears.

"Anything you can afford, I won't mind."

"C'mon, when are you going to give me a proper reply?" the serene looking gentleman shot back.

'These two looks comfortable with each other already? Can't believe this!'' He thought, as he intently watched the scene between Krystal's so-called Mr. N/A and his wife.

"Okay, think for it for a minute." the serene looking gentleman diverted his attention to the Blood Bank partners, "Jong-In-ssi, Krystal-ssi what do you guys like? My treat."

The heir had a clever idea for get even with the serene-looking gentleman.

“Yi Xing-hyung, I’m quite hungry. Are you sure you’re also going to include us in your treat?”

“Yes Jong-In, what do you want then?”

“I’m okay with a burger and soda Yi Xing-oppa.” Krystal requested.

“Mine’s lamb chop steak, french-fries, waffles, mocha frappe Yi Xing - hyung. Mind me; I’m really starving to death. And oh, add hamburger as well.”

“You’re sure have a big appetite Jong-In, but it’s okay.” The serene gentleman smiled.

‘Hamburger and french-fries?’Seohyun furrowed her eyebrows in disgust upon hearing Jong-In’s request – junk foods.

“How about you Joo Hyun?” Yi Xing diverted his attention to his partner once again.

“Mine’s vegetable soup and fish fillet.” She briefly answered.

“Okay hearty meals for my dearest partner.” He affirmed. “How about your drink?”

“Pineapple juice.”

"Alright." he smiled widely to the milady, and put in his earphones again.

‘Dearest? What the fudge! Did he say dearest?’Jong-In almost choked with the affectionate remark of the latter.

 

Soon as the serene looking gentleman went back with all the orders, immediately sat beside his partner as he kept humming.

"Eat lots guys, I'm hoping to be good friends with you." he smiled brightly to the three, and went back humming as ate his own food.

"Thanks partner."

'Even this Joo Hyun's feeling close with him. God, what's happening?'  the heir mentally complained as he started eating his food.

As Joo Hyun started digging her vegetable soup she stole millisecond glances of Jong-In and on his foods. Once she eyes her husband's hamburger and fries, she slightly irked up, seemingly wanted to puke in disgust with the unhealthy meal.

"Jong-In can I have some fries?" Krystal asked about to grab a piece of the food.

"Yes you can but you may not." he instantly slapped the heiress' hand and shoved his fries away from the latter.

"Why so greedy Jong-In?" she complained.

"Because I'm hungry." he took a piece of fries and envy the latter. But Before he could eat it his wife immediately snatched it from his hand.

"Whoa! That's fast, Joo Hyun-unnie's a strict dietitian." the heiress remarked laughing, as she stole the whole pack of fries from the heir who seemed to look like glutton with all the food in front of her.

"What the -" he was startled with his wife's fast reflexes.

"How many times do I have to remind you not to eat hamburgers?" she started to sermon her husband.

"It's not hamburger. It's fries!" he reasoned out with his crooked philosophy.

"Anyhow, that's still junk foods." she already snorted air out of her nose indicating that she was already pissed.

"Yi Xing-oppa, come on let's go out of here. Joo Hyun-unnie's wife instincts are coming out. You don't want to get involved, right?" the heiress jested.

Krystal's joke instantly reminded Joo Hyun of the limitation her actions. She's the wife but she couldn't so wife-like to him anymore. She then went meek in her seat.

 

All four of them silently ate their meals.

Yi Xing kept singing to himself as he eats his meal, when he suddenly turned his attention to the milady. "I don't know why I'm drawn to you? Could you be the other one so we'd equal to two? Hmmmm hmmmm..."

Indeed, though the serene gentleman only wanted to play around, he was really pissing the heir who was silently watching their every more.

"This guy really wants to experience severe Dolor from me." he furiously muttered to himself though coherent enough to the heiress who was sitting beside him.

"Owned." Krystal mischievously smirked to the latter.


Jong-In and Krystal needed to stay for a few more hours since they're instructress required them to extend ten more hours in the hospital which technically made them stay over, while the other two were free to go home.

"Another ten long hours to standby with you Jung Soo Jung." the heir uttered with his sarcasm as he rolled his eyes. "Boring."

The heiress raised an eyebrow to the latter, and crossed her arms on her chest. "A doctor works 18 hours a day 7 times a week Jong-In, if it bores you to death then go out of this profession."

"Uhm, excuse me..." Joo Hyun meekly budged in between the two. "Jong-In do I have to instruct Butler Kang to fetch you up in this dawn?"

"I-I'll just call him." he awkwardly responded. “Just rest at home; did you inform him to fetch you now?"

"I haven't but I'll go commute then."

"No. I'll go call him now." he did not allow his wife. Indeed, he cannot hid his concern.

"Let me send you home then." Yi Xing offered the milady. "It's okay, right? Jong-In?" he asked permission of the latter.

'Swear! I literally want to hit your face right now.'  He mentally cursed the insisting latter, but chose to hold his temper since he cannot throw his gentleman's image for a lowly act.

"No need to -" but before Joo Hyun could decline, she found herself being pulled by the serene looking gentleman - persistent.

 

After a forty-five minutes car drive Milady Joo Hyun and Yi Xing arrived in the mansion.

“Are you sure I’m welcometo enter Kim’s residence?” the serene looking gentleman anxiously asked the milady.

“Of course, I owe you for sending me home this late partner.” The milady gave reassuring smile to the latter. “Come on, I’ll just introduce you o Butler Kang.”

Then the two entered the mansion, and the Milady introduced the serene looking gentleman to the Head Butler. 

“Thanks for quite touring me around. Sure thing, Kims mansion is big.”

“I should be the one thanking you partner.”

 

But just before Yi Xing could bid his farewell to the milady; he came across with the familiar towering figure – Wu Fan. Joo Hyun was still with him, so he needed to pretend that he doesn’t know the latter.

Wu Fan’s eyes widened in surprise and instantaneously felt anxious due to the serene man’s sudden appearance, until he noticed the milady’s presence walking alongside by his younger brother.

“Wu Fan-oppa!” she waved her hand.

“Joo Hyun.” He stiffly summoned the latter; he couldn’t even move a muscle.

“Yi Xing this is Mr. Wu, my Ethics Instructor.” she cheerfully introduced his new friend to the mysterious gentleman.

“Nice to meet you Mr. Wu.” The serene looking gentleman extended his hand to the frozen mysterious gentleman standing in front of them, as if it was his real first time seeing him.

The towering gentleman furrowed his eyebrows and instantly snatched the milady to his side before extending his hand to the gentleman, “Good evening Yi Xing.”


Hello Reader-nims. I want to thank you for reading THLS! Hope you enjoy this chapter. 

And oh, I made I SeoKris-shot entitled By Chance:You and I. If you want to try feel free to room rage my page :)

Thank you to my subscribers, sorry if i'm not able to thank you on your walls one-by-oine since my internship requires me a lot of time.

SeohyunKeroro