Her Skepticism

The Heir's Love Story

It was already the seventh day of their avoidance session with each other. And because of that, Jong-In indulged him self by going to work early in the morning and getting off from work late.

He was already feeling hopeless, and he blamed himself for being 'too rash' with his actions in the abbey.

'I should have stick with just bickering with her instead of being like this.'  His shoulders were already sulky because of working all day and with the unusual silence that enveloped their room during that moment. Of course, when they became husband and wife and his room eventually became their room.

The usual evening atmosphere of their room he got used to for the past four months was full of their bickering sessions or if the two of them were in their right minds Keroro marathon sessions.

The room was incredibly gloomy, usually, when he was the one who arrives late Joo Hyun would welcome him with either a sermon or if she was indulged watching the sergeant green frog she would call him up and make him watch with her.

But the room was dark, and there were no traces of her. He then sat flatly on the sofa which became his bed when they got married. He learnt to deal sleeping on it ever since she stepped into his life and became his wife.

Add her massive influence of Keroro addiction, as well as her fondness of Ipad and Android games he could see how she changed him bit-by-bit with that span of time. He knew, they were never that intimate, but he also knew himself that he shared a piece of him to her, that's why he has gotten her ways somehow.

He then opened the television to see if he could still catch up his now favorite sergeant frog but then, what he saw was just the ending theme since he got home really late. 

So he decided to check the bedroom to see if his wife is already in dreamland, but to his own surprise there was no Joo Hyun who was sleeping like a princess in the king-sized bed.

He went back to his humble sofa, got his Ipad and put it on his lap. He surely put a password onto it since the day he stole their first ever picture together.

'7364986' He touch-typed his password. Usually, people use their birthdays and six relevant digits, but in his case he chose to have seven-digit password that seemingly look senseless and disconnected to his life. But when you think about it carefully, those seven digits would equivalent to a particular girl's name once you try pressing it in a usual telephone line or basic phone -it's SEOHYUN.

His stolen shot then appeared on the gadget, he made it as his Ipad's wall paper. His Ipad which was once too dull, not having any significant application and served as his notebook in school has become a secretive gadget due to its wallpaper and now filled with game applications due to his wife's influence. 

He could not even believe himself that he would be hooked with the things he dislike, he even was once got angry when Krystal attempted to install game applications on his Ipad before he became classmates with his wife.

Now, he adores Keroro the most, he plays popular game applications like Tap Tap Revenge, Angry Birds, Temple Run, and even talk to the crazy chick Simsimi, which were almost - if not all his wife's influence to him.

Small things as it may seem, but it's the also a fact that small things usually occupy a big place inside a person's heart.

He subconsciously has gotten attached to her; like a plant once zealously watered it will surely grow. Likewise, living his everyday with her means she's slowly growing in him.

'I should have been contented with our stolen picture; I should not have done that inside the abbey. You're too stupid Jong-In!' he mentally tormented himself.

He then heaved a heavy sigh, stood up as he decided to look for her around the mansion. 'I better go look for her no matter what, it's already late, she should be sleeping by now or else her skin cells will not regenerate.'

Undoubtedly, even his way of thinking has been infected by her.


"Wu Fan-oppa, why do you like reading self-improvement books?" Seohyun asked while reading a self-improvement book entitled, 'You're the Only One Who Can Live for Yourself'

"Why do you ask Joo Hyun?" he closed the book he was reading.

The two of them have been reading side-by-side for a couple of hours already since they've finished ethics lessons around four o'clock, they have spend the rest of the hours in the mansion's enormous balcony where they occasionally meet each other before or after dinner.

"It's because l want to know if you also have the same reason like I do. I love reading these kinds of books since I learn how to live my life as it should be, and I learned how to become patient." Indeed, she was bred as a very upright person.

"We almost have the same reasons, I tend to pick up virtues while reading self-improvement books, and like you, and I’ve learnt to become a lot more patient."

"Why? Were you that impatient before?" she attempted to jest with her question.

"You may put it like that. I was once very impatient towards my little brother and I scold him because he is too crybaby." he replied, and chuckled due to the latter's tone.

He is not the type to smile or laugh around, he usually wears a straight face, and smiling is one of the most unusual things he would do that people who were able to see him wear a smile find it very amusing since it's considered that the mysterious gentleman’s smile is one of the rarest sight to to see.

"Wu Fan-oppa, you even look more handsome when you smile, no wonder you're brothers, he too is good wearing that straight face expression." she noticed the way he looked brighter as he smiles. "You should do it more often."

He was aware that he has his most comfortable moments whenever he is with the milady. Probably because she is too pure comparable to a child that would not do harm to him, and probably because he is aware of how honest the milady is towards her words that she could keep their casual conversations and secrets very well.

Indeed, Wu Fan found a friend in her. And he could not deny to himself that she's rare package. Hence, he is admiring her for that.

"Fine. I'll try to smile more often, just when you're around." he uttered seriously making a condition.

She then encouraged him, "Share it to other people as well Wu Fan-oppa. I'm sure everyone will be glad to see you with that kind of face."

"I prefer smiling to only those who are precious for me." he indirectly declined. Hence, it’s a sentence with another meaning.

Upon hearing his statement, she instantly straightened her posture as she feel tensed.

He then looked at her with his usual deep gaze. "What's the problem Joo Hyun?"

The mysterious gentleman has his straightforward side.

"N-nothing." she denied.

"Of course, you're not just my student you're also my dear friend." he reasoned out easing the latter.

"Mianhe Wu Fan-oppa, I-I'm not just used to those kinds of words." she felt sudden shiver on her back as she shyly turned her gaze to him.

"I apologize as well if I made you feel uneasy. It's just that rarely open up with people, and you know what I've never been this talkative before." he then let out a hearty laugh for the very first time in front of her.

"Wu Fan-oppa, you think I'm funny?" she pouted.

"Sorry, Joo Hyun I can't help out but to laugh at your expression. You look priceless you know!"

She then buried her face in her palms in embarrassment.

Her so-called mysterious gentleman just laughed at her face for the very first time. "Wu Fan-oppa, you stop that okay?"

"Fine then." he halted. "But seriously, thank you for making my stay here comfortable Joo Hyun."

"You're welcome then, I'm also glad to have found a companion like you Wu Fan-oppa." she then paused as took out her pinky finger for a pinky swear with him, "But promise me that you'll smile more often okay?"

Certainly, the milady still has her childishness in her.

"Promise." he intertwined his pinky and eventually pressed their thumbs to each other for their agreement.

 

From a short distance, the heir was able to watch the two's little chit-chat and pinky swear.

At first, he hesitated to go near them, but then again nothing will be left in a man who always fears.

Certainly, it made him feel more anxious as his wife was already avoiding her and if he makes another rash move again he might just complete drift apart from her. It took him a lot of courage to step inside the balcony.

The usual Jong-In who would nag at his wife whenever she's mingling with other guys sank. He surely wanted to react that way, but considering their situation he simply can't.

He stood still few meters away from them doing nothing but just froze there until Seohyun turned her gaze to other direction and saw him standing still with his head low all quiet in front of them.

"Jong-In." gaped seeing her husband.

She was expecting the usual nagger husband she has who would pull her instantly and bicker with her nonstop until he tire himself to sleep.

To her anticipation she bit her lower lip and thought, 'Here goes nagger Jong-In again.'

"Ah, Joo Hyun-noona." her husband meekly called her while massaging his nape still with his head low.

"N-neh Jong-In." he seemed to be a completely different person - too meek, yet she still feels the throb in her heart at the sight of him.

"I-I just want to ask you if you wanted to sleep then. Well...since it's late already." his tone was even faint as he tried to look at her.

She then turned her gaze to the mysterious gentleman beside her, "Thank you for the time Wu Fan-oppa. Jong-In and I have to go now, good night."

"Good night to the both of you." he bowed his head to the two.

She then walked her way to her husband.

But they could make their way to the hallway the mysterious gentleman called her attention once again. "Joo Hyun!"

She then turned to her ethics teacher, "Neh Mr. Wu?"

"Quit bottling in!" he reminded her half shouting. Again, another read between the lines statement from him.

The milady mumbled to herself, "Bottling in? Do I?"


The husband and wife remained wordless to each other as they walk their way into their room.

Both of them were too passive, neither of them tried to say a word nor gesture to each other. Hence, for he is the husband, Jong-In really fit his Chanyeol-hyung's epic description of him - lame.

He just let Joo Hyun walked pass him as they walk inside their room. She then directly went inside the bedroom with her head low, obviously avoiding her husband.

An hour has passed it was already midnight; he could not shove himself to sleep as he gets more and more frustrated with their situation.

‘I should not have crossed the line. It’s my entire fault from the start; maybe this is what I get from those things I’ve told her before getting married.’ He reflected from his previous actions, he knew his initial motive, and that was to technically marry her off because of his inheritance. And now that they are in the middle of the process, he could not take the taste of his own medicine.

‘Should I stick to it?’ he pondered if it was the right thing to fasten him self to his original plan. After all, they both agreed to it, add the fact that it was her who made it formal by writing it in as a contract.

Thus, his heart cannot take what his mind perceived. He was a mind-over-matter person, until he opened up a side of him to her.

When he could not take it anymore, he then decided to get into the bedroom.

His wife was already asleep. He knew she have adopted in the atmosphere of the room, his room before, but ever since she came along it had been hers.

He cannot do anything but to stare at his sleeping wife. He contented himself to watch her as he sat on his bended knees beside the bed, afraid that if would make another mindless move she would surely grow distant to him.

‘I’m sorry for that Joo Hyun-noona, seems that I’ve become delusional with everything around us. I cannot help it and I’d be lying if I tell you that I never once looked at you as a girl. The fact that we’ve been together for four months, I cannot picture myself without a wife after a year…no, just eight more months. Now I know, I should not have told you those kinds of things before.’ He thought looking at her, as a tear trek out from his eye.

He then breathed out as he tried his best to compose himself. Indeed, she let her feel so many things he never felt before.

She was the first reason why he cried aside from his parents, she was the one who made him as a husband nagger, she was the first person who made him feel extreme anxiousness every time she gets into trouble, she was the first one who made him so protective despite his innately indifferent attitude, and a lot more firsts.

Unknowingly, few more tears escaped from his eyes just by looking at her. He remembered all their memories from day one.

“Joo Hyun-noona.”  He whispered, nearing his stance to her.

He knew, she was deeply sleeping, but she was not. She perceived his presence since he entered the room. She just does not have enough guts to say anything for constantly feeling unease whenever her husband is around. But soon as she felt that Jong-In was not feeling alright anymore she could not bear it herself for she herself does not want him to feel appalling towards her.

She then slowly opened her eyes, and gently poked his cheek with her finger.

She does not really know the most appropriate approach she could do, and just randomly poked him.

“Jong-In-ah.” She summoned his name.

He was literally taken aback as his fear started to atop his head. ‘Shoot! I am too rash again.’ He cursed himself.

“Come here.” she motioned her hand for him to get nearer.

He was hesitant, feeling getting more and more meek nearing her.

“Come here.” she called him again, he then went near her this time.

She paused for a moment thinking of what her Wu Fan-oppa told her, ‘Quit bottling in!’ Hence, she needed to be courageous sometimes.

“I’m sorry for avoiding you these past few days I just don’t know how to react, and I did not mean it.” She boldly apologized to the latter.

“I’m also sorry for making you feel uneasy, even if you don’t tell me it’s very evident from your actions. I promise to keep my foot off the line.” His fear has already engulfed him.

“Jong-In-ah.” She extend her hands and reached his, she herself does not really know what to say and just stared deeply at him.

“What I’ve told you in the abbey, I’ve really wished for that. But if that’s not what you want, I would gladly accept it.” His words completely stung his whole being.

Hence, she could not really utter the most appropriate words she should tell him as she too was feeling fearful skeptical about her own feelings.