Finals - Night Inside the Morgue

The Heir's Love Story

 

 

 


The smell of strong formalin and the pain protracted in his nose bridge stung his senses to open his eyes. He saw droplet of blood on Seohyun’s cheek.

‘Hey, she’s with me? Where are we? She’s bleeding’ he wondered, and felt her pulse in her neck with his index finger and middle finger - she was breathing normally, she was just sleeping soundly.   He felt as sudden flick of pain in his nose once again, he realized that he was the one who was bleeding. He then looked around and saw metal sinks, pale white tiled walls and tables, and a dim yellow bulb light over him.

The place gave him a feel of sudden shiver down his spine plus the strong stinging smell of formalin. He thought it was the morgue.

“Chanyeol-hyung.” He faintly growled.

 

She heard a familiar voice; it made her blink her eyes. It was a familiar deep voice of a man and it sounded weak. The voice made her decide to completely open her eyes. She saw the face of her husband, and then a dim yellow bulb light over them, white tiled walls and metal sinks. She then shifted her gaze back to her husband – his nose was bleeding.

 

“Jong-In.” she called his name as she sits herself on the cold ground and shakes her head for feeling slightly light headed.

“Jong-In.” she called him again as she cup his face and look at him carefully curious why his nose was bleeding.  She then averted her gaze to the surrounding, and as she saw a pair of pale gray feet covered with white sheets, she realized they were inside the morgue.

“Jong-In-ah, are you okay? Why are we here?” she asked him simultaneously as she feels the creep of the place.

“I-I don’t know either Joo Hyun-noona.” he replied. He was still in pain. “I just remembered Chanyeol-hyung, we were eating near the outdoor courts and here I am now.”

“Then why are you bleeding?” she asked with an evident sign of anxiousness.

“I don’t know either. Maybe I got hit by something.” He answered completely clueless.

She then held to a corner of the metal sink they were near at and tried to stand up. But she suddenly sensed a cold hardened flesh. Horror suddenly build inside her system, she did not dare to touch it anymore and ran to the locked door and started slamming it with her both hands.

“Open the door!” she screamed. “Open the door!” she knocked the door hard. “Somebody out there open the door please!” she pleaded. “Hey please open the door!” she slammed the door with her full force.

She was about to sob when he wiped his blood off from his nose. Though he still feels awful he cannot just slack off and watch her call for help along.  He stood up and started banging the door.

“Yah! Open the door!” he roared. “Anyone out there open the door!” he knocked it hard with his bare hands.

They went shouting for several minutes and looked for possible exits that could free them from the creepy place. But unfortunately, the place does not have any windows, and the door was double locked with big padlocks, and the worse part of it was the room was sound-proof and no one could hear them from the outside even if they scream their lungs out.

An hour has passed but still no one was there to open and free them.

Jong-In was thinking deep to find a way to escape when he looked at his wristwatch – it says 7:38pm.

He then tried to look for his bag but it was not there.

“Joo Hyun-noona do you have your bag with you?”

She hen looked for her bag as well. Likewise, she found nothing. “I don’t have mine either.”

It just made them more hopeless after finding out that they have no means of communication outside. Their bags were not with them and their phones are inside those.

He stood up again and began slamming the door to make a sound once more. She then helped him with all her strength. They did it for few hours.

No one heard them; they wasted their efforts and energy for their continuous screaming, shouting and slamming the door. He already felt that his intelligence was useless and defective from their situation.

When she drained all her strength out, Seohyun backed away from the door and leaned from a metal sink not knowing that she was about to lean in a bunch of corpse.

“Jong-In-ah, who could do this to us?” she was already sobbing when she asked and leaned onto something cold and fleshy.

“Jong-“she got stuck up as she felt something cold like fingers that brushed her hand. “Ahhh! She let out a deafening scream.

All the worse was when the blanket was removed from the corpse with the sudden cold air coming from nowhere.

There were three cadavers that were laid in the metal sink. The first one was an old man who had a gun shot in his forehead and was newly autopsied. Second one was a little boy who has an amputated foot and was already decaying, and lastly a middle aged man whose chest and head was half dissected – it was the one that she touched.

The cadavers made her scream her heart out of horror that she literally jumped from where she was standing and was bowled over to stand back. She then hid under a table, so scared that she was already trembling and weeping.

He too was horrified by the cadavers. If only his heart can literally jump out from his chest, and if only screaming his lungs out will not be misunderstood as gay, he would have panicked as well.

But he is a gentleman, and his wife was terribly scared already which left him no option but to become a fearless guardian for her.

He then covered the smelly and decaying corpse with the white sheets and went under the table beside his wife.

“Hey, Joo Hyun-noona. Don’t be scared, I’m here.” He tried to give her an eased feeling with his words. She was pitiful; she was so scared that even her lips were already trembling.

“Jong-In-ah, I – I really hate this place. Let’s go out in here.” She sobbed like a little child for being horrified.

“I’ll try again, but please don’t cry anymore.” He then went banging the door again. He knew it was kind of useless considering the fact that the room was sound proof and it was already late.

He hit and hit the door until his hands have already hurt, but there are no people who came to help them.

Joo Hyun was still under the table as she feels sudden shiver from her cheek, there was cold air that brushed her face all of a sudden that made her even more scared and ran to Jong-In.

“Jong-In! Jong-In!” she pulled the edge of his white uniform panicking.

He averted his gaze to his wife and held on her arm, “What happened?” he tried to sound calm.

Her cheeks were all wet from her tears, and her eyes were already swollen from crying. He never thought that she could be a cry-baby when it comes to scary places.

He then held her close as she burrowed her face near his shoulder and continued crying.

“Hey, I said don’t be scared, right?” he tried to act coolly calming his wife.

“How can I not? This place is going to kill me.” She reasoned out still burying her face near his shoulder.

He slightly retracted from her grip, cupped her face with his hands, and took a better look of his wife.

“Yah, I told you not to be scared right? Who is with you now?”

“You.” She answered him like a sobbing kid.

He wiped her tears and fixed her hair, “You’re already with me that’s why you should not be scared like this.”

“But this is the morgue. I really hate this place.” She started tearing up once again.

“No, don’t.” he hushed her and held her face a little closer. “You’re going to get ugly if you continue crying, do you want that? He asked her as if he was asking a toddler.

She then childishly shook her head.

“Let us stay away from those bad corpses, so they cannot do anything bad to you.” He comforted her immaturely as he pulled her closer for a hug.


Kris was uncomfortably walking back and forth inside the study area. He was waiting for his pupil’s arrival.

‘She’s three hours late.’ He thought as he glanced at the watch that was hanging on the wall.

He could not ease himself not to move around, he was quite anxious why his student has not arrived yet.

‘She should have informed me beforehand if she’s going out with her companions.’

He went out of the study area and walked his way to the entrance path.

“Did the milady arrive already?” he asked head butler Kang.

“Not yet Mr. Wu, even the young master has not yet arrived.” The head butler replied.

“Are they together?” he asked again.

“Milady Kim should have been here earlier, as of young master it’s understandable that he might just go to the company directly.” The old butler confirmed.

“By any chance, did you receive any messages that the milady will arrive late this evening?”

“I haven’t received a single message from milady Mr. Wu.” The head butler was getting suspicious with the mysterious gentleman’s question.” It seems that you’re ill at ease for the milady.”

“No. She’s just a little too late for our ethics class.” He lied.

Few minutes later, Chanyeol arrived. He was smiling widely as he greeted all the household workers.

“Butler Kang good evening to you!” he greeted the old butler cheerfully.

“Mr. Wu. A very pleasant evening to you too!” he put his arm around he mysterious gentleman’s shoulders.

“Good evening, it seems that you’re very happy today young master Park.” The old butler greeted and noticed his hyped attitude.

The animated gentleman averted his attention to the old butler, and said, “My cousin and milady, they’re not going home tonight.”

He then let out a toothy grin.

“You mean they are together now?” Kris surprisingly joined the conversation.

“They are. I let them be together for tonight.” The animated gentleman looked sharp at the taller gentleman beside him from his periphery.

Kris breathed deeply upon hearing that the husband and wife were together.

On the other hand, Chanyeol was observing Kris’ reaction and boldly uttered, “If you’re going to do something that will stop my cousin, better set aside the thought for now.”

He cannot let his intention be conveyed, “I’m looking for my student since she’s late for our class.”

He then retracted from Chanyeol and left the scene.


It took him awhile to completely calm his wife.

‘She sure is not easy.’ He deeply sighed as he let her lay down her head on his shoulder while they were sitting on the ground and leaning their backs on the cold white tiles wall beside the door.

They remained silent for a moment, not uttering a single word nor sound just sitting beside each other.

He noticed that her grip on his uniform was still strong indicating that she still was feeling fear. It made him decide to put his arm around her to give her a secured feeling.

“You’re still scared.” He broke out the silence between them. “I told you I’m here.” And remind her again.

“Sorry, I couldn’t help it.” She loosened her grip but immediately burrowed her face on his neck.

He was surprised with her sudden action; it was the first time they really went close to each other. He feels her warm breath on his neck; he can tell that she was not yet fully at ease.

‘Neoui sesangeuro yeorin barameul tago. Negyeoteuro eodiseo wannyago hmmmmm hmmmm…” he started singing and sooner hummed a familiar song that eventually calmed his wife.

“Don’t sing it. You don’t sound good.” She unexpectedly complained whispering.

He was surprised with her sudden comment that he slightly retracted from her and took a look at her face. “Hey, don’t complain, I’m not much of a singer you know. At least I’m trying.” Then he let her lay her head on his shoulder again.

They went silent once again. He was worried and glad at the same time. Worried because it took him time to calm down his poor wife and glad because there were no arguments between them.

Few minutes later, she was the one who broke out the silence, “I can’t sleep Jong-In.”

“Huh?’ he again retracted from her to see her face.

They met each others’ eyes this time.

Her eyes were beautifully round and expressive except that it became swollen because of crying. Hence, they still looked beautiful.

“Can you sing that again?”

“Huh? You said I didn’t sound good.”

She then demanded in a childish whisper, “Let me consider it for this night.”

He then started singing and humming the same song.

 

As he was humming, she never retracted her stare on his face, she memorized its every details. And when he was in the middle of his humming she subconsciously planted a peck on his nose.

It was unexpected that he stopped from humming. But her gaze was all he could see. He got mesmerized as he focused his gaze from her eyes down to her lips. He was tempted but hesitated to make a big move; he went closer to her already but decided just to give her a deep kiss on her forehead.

‘Yah sleepy head. Don’t think about things too much. Tomorrow someone will open the door and we will surely get out of her.” He reminded as he enveloped her for a hug.

He thought that she was going to retract but surprisingly she clung on him closer, “Jong-In-ah, stay in there, okay?”

He then planted a kiss on her forehead again. “Okay.”

“Sure?”

“Sure.” Her looks were downright meant for a goddess; he cannot hold himself any longer and placed his lips on her cheek before he made her close her eyes.

“Now sleep.” He instructed her for the last time.

He waited for her to fall into slumber for several more minutes. And after an hour he also went into dreamland.


Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung intentionally went to school earlier than usual. They called their newly recruited prankster Chanyeol to be with them also.

“Be there in no time.” He replied to the tanned girl’s call. And Chanyeol went off at Dongguk not knowing that a man driving a black executive car was following him.

 

When they already gathered outside the morgue, Yuri carefully unlocked the door so the two will not feel their presence. They slowly opened the door a little and saw the two sleeping soundly beside each other. It was their first time seeing them too close, their maknae was comfortable laying her head on his neck while Jong-In was using his manner hands to her even when sleeping.

“Jong-In you’re too lame.” Chanyeol hissed and was quite disappointed.

“Those two were like impossible, aren’t you happy to see them close like that?” Sooyoung hissed on the animated gentleman.

“He is just really a gentleman.” Yoona whispered agreeing to what the shikshin said.

“He is, Joo Hyun’s lucky.” The tanned girl agreed as well.

They watched the two sleeping together not making any sound for a couple of minutes.

Jong-In already stretched his arm as he checked his wife. She was still in a deep slumber but her breath has gone warmer.

‘She has fever.’ He instinctively thought as he put his palm on her neck and felt her temperature. He was right.

He looked around and saw that the door of the morgue beside them was slightly opened. The door was already unlocked they could go out already.

 

“Joo Hyun, Joo Hyun.” He softly called her name.

She moved a bit and eventually burrowed her face on his chest. She was like an innocent child looking for a warm place.

“Joo Hyun, the door is open already do you want us to go out now?” he whispered to her again smiling.

But she did not move an inch.

He was also feeling dizzy because of the strong unpleasant smell of the room; he thought that his wife got fever from the atmosphere. Hence, he also felt that his throat was not good as well.

They stayed like that for a moment then he called her name to wake up once again. “Joo hyun. KIM Joo Hyun, wake up now.”

 

Surprisingly a pair of huge hands appeared and grabbed Joo Hyun from his grip.

Kris was watching them for a few minutes already.

She was awoken from the sudden move. She faintly opened her eyes and saw Kris facing her and was holding her shoulder.

“Mr. Wu.” She was bowled over for seeing him unexpectedly.

“Let’s go home now?” the mysterious gentleman asked her rather suggesting.

‘It’s early in the morning and you already want to have a fight with me?’ Jong-In instantly went furious as he remained silent from the corner. He then retrieved his wife to his side, stood up, scooped her wife to his arms and pushed the mysterious gentleman aside.

He deviously hissed, “Hands off of my wife.”

He then carried Joo Hyun outside the morgue.