Pieces of Memory

Come Back To Me

Donghae sat quietly next to Hyukjae on the plane that will took them back to Korea a couple hours right after the concert ended. They didn't say anything since the plane took off. Since their last fight at the concert either Hyuk or Hae never spoken to each other. Even on the plane where both of them were sitting next to each other.

"What are you doing?" Finally Donghae asked, trying to be break the ice, trying to be as calmed as possible, as if nothing had happened between them. "Are you tweeting?"

Hyukjae didn't say a word and kept on going with his own business.

"Any interesting writing about us?" Donghae asked again. "Eunhae I mean. Shippers usually write a thing or two about eunhae each time after our concert."

Still no answered. Not even a nodded. That really irritated Donghae. He kept on gazing toward Hyukjae. Sitting uncomfortably, tapping his fingers on armseat and rocking his body back and fort and none of what he was doing gain hyukjae's attention.

 "Hyuk-ah..."

"Donghae please.."

"What?"

"Be quiet.."

"Let's talk, hyuk-ah."

"What's to talk?"

"You're still mad at me?" Donghae asked carefully. " How long do you plan to mad at me?"

"Until you tell me the truth." Hyukjae said with a stern voice. "What are you hiding from me?"

"I am not."

"You're a terrible liar, do you know that?" Hyukjae smirked. " What is it? Have I done something wrong?"

Donghae shook his head slowly. His eyes were pleading, as if asking Hyukjae to just drop this matter and forget about all this. But He knew that would be wishfull thinking since Donghae knew how persistent Hyukjae could be. And for a thousands time since they became good friends, he was right.

"I know you've been avoiding me. Ever since I got out from the hospital 4 months ago you've been acting so strange. It's like you were expecting something from me but I don't know what it is and it !! I wish you you were just talked to me and make everything easy. What was it? You know, I wish I didn't go through that surgery if it's going to end up like this. This memory lost is really and I have to deal with it every single day." Hyukjae said with a sad tone. " I don't remember certain things and I'm so sorry if I forgot something important to you, or us, or to anyone for that matter. I just wish someone would just tell me."

Donghae lowered his head, avoiding eye contact. He felt bad. He was supposed to taking care of Hyukjae just like the way hyukjae took care of him. Not making him confused like this.

 

"Sorry..." Donghae said softly. " I will tell you, Hyuk. But now is not the right time. I want you to trust me on this. It's very important thing to me. I will tell you when I am ready."

Hyukjae let go a big sigh and leaned back on his seat. "I just don't like being kept in the dark like this, Hae. especially by you. My own best friend."

"Here comes the best friend thing again..." Donghae's heart cried out. " I'm more than that, Hyuk! more than that!!"

"Hae?"

"I know. I promise I will tell you. Someday, somehow I will tell you. Trust me."

Hyukjae was about to answered when suddenly a loud "ding" were heard and seatbelt indicator light went on, followed by the announcement from the flight attendant to fasten seatbelt and remain calmed as they will fly through unfriendly weather.

Hyukjae fasten his seatbelt and then turn to see Donghae.

"Hae, are you ok? Fasten your seatbelt."

Donghae didn't move. His hands gripped the armseat tightly. His face turned white as paper. Hyukjae leaned in and fasten his seatbelt when suddenly the plane shaking hard. All the passangers alerted but remain calm.

"Hae?" Hyukjae called. "Are you ok?"

"I hate night flights. I can't see a damn thing." Donghae said. There was fear in his voice. "Night flight and bad weather is not a good combination.."

Another strong wind hit the plane. Donghae closed his eyes tightly. Hyukjae slowly took his left hand. Donghae instantly hold the warm hand tight.

"Hae, relax."

Donghae shook his head. "I don't wanna die, Hyuk..."

"What? What are you talking about? Silly fish!" Hyukjae chuckled. 

"I don't wanna go through that state again.. Never.. Never ever again.."

"Hae, what are you talking about? Look at you, you're shaken up." Hyukjae tried to calm him down. "It's ok, Hae. Calm down."

Hyukjae surprised at how donghae held his hand. Hyukjae flinched at the pain but he didn't try to break free. Seeing Donghae like that really broke his heart. He looked all pale, terrified and shaken up. So all he could do just let him squeezed his hand as long as he wanted, as long as he would calm down.

"Relax, Hae. I'm here."

"Don't let go.."

"I won't, I promise." Hyukjae said. "See? I'm holding your hand.."

Donghae nodded.

"Don't look out the window. Look at me." Hyukjae said. "I'm much more handsome than the thunder lightning outside.."

Donghae chuckled at the joke and look at Hyukjae. "Tsk.. you wish!!!"

But it wasn't a joke at all, actually Hyukjae was really look handsome tonight. He always do.

Small drops of sweat started to form on his forehead as another wave of strong wind rock the plane.

"Uhmm.. Hey I heard you will doing drama next week." Hyukjae asked, trying to get his attention. "Hae-ah, talk to me."

"What? oh yeah, start next week." Donghae nodded. "I'm still reading the script and .. Oh my God Hyuk... this is never going to end! The plane is going.."

"Yaaah! Stop it! I told you nothing will happen. I'm here with you. Stop worrying! Look at me!" Hyukjae cupped donghae's face with his left hand and force donghae to look at him. "Calm down.."

"Oke.. Oke.. Calm down.." Donghae said as he tried to breathe normally. He kept eye contact with Hyukjae Seeing him there with him, holding his hands like that were really help. Slowly donghae managed to breathe normally. 

"I think the plane is no longer rocking .. " Donghae said softly. "Thank God.."

"Yeah it is. "Hyukjae nodded. "Do you think I can have my hand back now?"

Donghae shook his head frantically . Hyukjae chuckled at that.

"You are too much Lee Donghae! Just make sure I can still be using that hand by the end of this flight, alright?"

"Don't let go!"

"I won't. Trust me.."

"I do trust you. " Donghae nodded. "You already forgive me, right? Please trust me like I trust you just now. Can you please? I don't want us to ever fight again. Can we?"

Hyukjae looked at Donghae's eyes and gave in.

"Can't stay mad at you anyway. "Hyukjae smiled and nodded. "When you're ready, will you tell me?"

"I will, Hyuk. I promise, I will .."

" Alright. I trust you. Just hold on to me. Everything will be just fine."

And so they all made it landed on Incheon safely, as safe as the things between both of them. At least... for the moment.

------

Donghae took out all the clothes from the suitcase and arranged them all on the bed. He was about to put them in the closet when suddenly he heard front door was opened.

"Hyung?" He shouted and crane his head, looking out. He waited. But no one appeared.

"Hyung? Is that you?" Donghae asked again. But no one answered. He put back that pail of clothes on the bed and slowly came out from the bedroom toward the front door.

"Hello? Anyone here?" He called out. Carefully he walked to the front door. He stopped when he could see the front door from where he stand.

"I swear I heard something.." He mumbleded to himself. "But no one here, that's strange. Aiish.. creepy.."

Donghae turned around and slowly walked back to the bedroom. He didn't know that someone was hiding to the other room right after get in.

That man slide himself out and slowly walk toward Donghae. He wore all black outfit and wore a mask. He was about to hit Donghae with a bat when suddenly Donghae turned back and face him. Both of the men were startled.

"Who are you? What are you doing in here?" Donghae shouted.

Instead of answering, that maskman charging forward and attack Donghae brutally.

Donghae fought him off. But he got hit on the head and fell to the floor. He kicked the man with all his strenght and tried to get up and run. But that man grabed his body from the back and slammed him to the floor.

Donghae screaming in agony and kept on asking who was the man and why he did this. He kept struggling, kicking and hit the man who was pinning him down to the floor and strangled him. That man suddenly hit him hard on the face and Donghae just stopped moving. That man slowly stood up and staring at Donghae's lifeless body.

"Cut!!!"

Donghae opened his eyes soon as the PD shouted and smiled as he took the maskman's hand.

"You've work hard, Donghae-ssi. " The man took off his mask. "I hope I didn't hit you anywhere. Are you oke?"

"I'm oke. Don't worry. Thank you, you worked hard." Donghae said as he bowed.

The place suddenly became crowded with lots of people, the movie crews. Donghae walked and sat on his chair after talking with the PD. The make up noona already waiting and instantly working on him soon as he sat down. He took his mobilephone in front of him and there was several message coming, but nothing caught his attention. Hyukjae said he will pick him up after shooting tonight, but still no sign of him. Hyuk usually called or send him message if he couldn't make it. This time there were none. So Donghae thought he must be on the way. He put down his phone on the table and Donghae saw The make-up noona gave him "please stop moving so I can finish my job" look.

"Sorry." Donghae nodded a bit and smiled at her. The cutest smile that instanly made her smile back and relax.

"Please don't move a lot, this artificial blood I'm about to pour into your head must flow down naturally and stain perfectly on your skin so it will look real."

"Arraso noona. Go go go!" Donghae said playfully.

So the make-up artist noona did her job. Donghae gazed at his reflection on the mirror and amazed at how it turned out. It really like his head were badly injured and the blood flow naturally on his face and down to his throat. The PD saw it and looked satisfy.

He was about to get up from his chair when the phone rang. Donghae smiled as he saw who was the caller.

"How was the shooting?' 

"Where are you? I thought you were picking me up?" Donghae pouted. "I'm almost done."

"Yesung hyung and I are just outside the dressing room. Open up."

Donghae stared at his mobile phone and frowned, but then smile happily. He got up and open the door. Right there, stood Hyukjae and Yesung.

Hyukjae gasped at the view in front of him. That blood on his face..

Suddenly his head spinned. Flashes of images storming inside his head. That images again. Those horrible images. Hyukjae's eyes widen and he couldn't breathe properly. Everything became slow motion. He became numb. He couldn't hear anything when the fact that Yesung was chatting with Donghae and laughing over his make up. He was like in another world.

Cars passing.. Thick smoke in the air... the burning car.. the polices... crowd on the side of the street shouting, humming things.. 

Hyukjae almost slumped to the floor when he saw Donghae's lifeless body in his head, drenched with his own blood..

"Hyuk?" Yesung called. "Are you ok? what happen?"

"Hyukkie?" Donghae called softly as he approached Hyukjae. Since he was closer now he could tell how pale Hyukjae was. Yesung held his shoulder, supporting his body.

"S..stop.." Hyukjae said as he moved his hand forward, stopping hae to get closer.

Donghae and Yesung exchanging look. Confused.

"Hyuk, what's wrong?" Donghae asked. "Are you alright? you look pale. Are you dizzy? what's wrong?"

Hyukjae lowered his head, but still his eyes were blank. He breathed heavily. Yesung moved and took his hand because suddenly Hyukjae was about to slumped to the floor.

"Hyukkie what's wrong?" Donghae asked panickly. "You scare me! I'm calling your doctor..."

"You.. I kept seeing you..." Hyukjae said, still panting hard. His legs really gave in. Slowly he slumped to the floor. "I kept seeing you..."

Donghae frowned, confused of the situation. He knelt down in front of Hyukjae and cupped his face.

"What are you talking about, Hyuk? You were fine moments ago. What happen?" Yesung also knelt next to Hyukjae. 

"My head's hurt!" Hyukjae whimpered. He grabbed his head with his hands and trying to bear the pain." Images kept flashing in my head! It hurts!!"

"What? What is it? What's flashing in your head?" Donghae  asked panicly. "Hyung, please call Yong Ko. Speed dial number 2. My mobile is at the table. Please hyung.."

Yesung didn't say a word. He just got up and do exactly as he was told while Donghae was trying to calm hyukjae down.

"Does it hurt so bad?"

"I'm sorry.." Hyukjae cried. " it hurts so bad, hae.. please make it stop!"

Donghae took Hyukjae's head and held it closed to his chest. "I'm here. Its alright.. it will go away soon. I promise.. just stay with me.. you'll be fine. Help is on the way. "

------------------------

Hyukjae stared at the ceiling. Tears were still rolling down his cheek. Once in awhile he squeesed Donghae's hand. But he didn't say a word. Neither was Donghae. He just stared at hyukjae, waiting patiently. He didn't want to push hyukjae to told him what happen. He knew hyukjae well. He would tell him soon as he's ready. So Donghae just stayed there, holding his hand, wiping his tears each time they rolled down his cheek.

"Hae.."

Donghae nodded. He looked at Hyukjae intenselly. Hoping that it would be the time for him to finally know what happend to his Hyuk.

"When I saw you at the set.." Hyukjae  started to speak. " I remember something..."

Donghae nodded. anticipating.

"I kept seeing..I kept seeing you lying on the street, drenced with your own blood." Hyukjae said weakly. He sqeezed Donghae's hand. "That night, you were on your way to pick us up, right? You were late.. and I kept calling you... right?" 

Donghae shook his head and  his head. 

"Hyuk, stop it. " Donghae let go a big sigh. He knew where this conversation will lead too. 

"I'm so sorry, Hae.." Hyukjae tried so hard to keep his voice from shaken up. " I guess now I know why you've been avoiding me.."

Donghae's eyes became wide. " What? that is just outrages!!! don't insult me by saying that!!"

Hyukjae wiped his tears, but they kept on coming back.

"I'm a horrible person.." He said. "I even scolded you everytime you were out of sync on practice, I'm so sorry Hae.."

Donghae hugged Hyukjae tightly, rubbing his back trying to comfort him.

"From all those happy memories we had, why do you have to remember that one, Hyuk? I'm sorry too. I wish so hard that you wouldn't remember any of that because I just want you to remember the happy memories, those beautiful thoughts. Not this one.."

Hyukjae were sobbing hard, he burried his face on Donghae's chest, held him even tighter that made Donghae's body shaken up aswell.

"Just hate me, Hae! I deserve it! I'm really sorry I put you in that state. On that plane last time, when you said you don't wanna die, you don't wanna be in that state again. You were talking about this, weren't you? You were dying.. My God.. you almost died because of me!"

"Stop it! you were wrong! You got that all wrong!!" Donghae said softly. "I live because of you! You saved my life! Your blood is running through my vein, saving me. It wasn't your fault. You're being silly. what happened back then was nobody fault. Especially not yours."

"I don't deserve a friend like you.."

"What is this? Hyukjae listen to me." Donghae kissed Hyukjae's head lightly. " You should know that you have been a great friend to me. I'm so greatful to have you in my life. After the accident you did nothing but took care of me. You stayed by myside all the time. When I was in coma I knew you never left me. I could feel your presence the whole time."

Hyukjae pulled Donghae closer.

"I could never hate you." Donghae said sincerely. "How can I? I can never hate someone who gladly, idiotly, unconditionally willing to give up his own life to save mine. Remember how you get me back? You almost die.."

Donghae's voice shaken up. He Hyukjae's hair gently.

"You took me home because you want to take care of me with your own hand. You never lost faith in me when anyone else does. I was barely stand up with my own feet, but you gave me the strength to holding on. When the company wanted me out, you were the first person to stood up and defended me. Now tell me how can I hate you when everything you did was care for me?"

Hyukjae was no longer sobbing. But he stayed still, clutching on hae's shirt.

"I'm so greatfull to have you in my life. You are the best gift God has sent me." Donghae continued. "And for that I want you to be happy. And I wish so hard that you will forget about all the sorrow and remember only the happy memories because you really deserve to be happy, Hyuk."

"I'm sorry, Hae.."

"Don't be. I should be the one who appologize because I haven't take care of you properly. I'm such a selfish bratt and always thinking of myself lately. I'm sorry, Hyukkie..."

"You were such a great person, Hae." Hyukjae said sincerely. "Your heart is so kind and pure."

"Let's not talk about things that will make my head grew bigger that Yesung hyung's, shall we?"

Hyukjae chuckled as he wiped his own tears. He closed his eyes and somehow his chest were eased. As if the big burden has been lifted, knowing that Donghae were never hate him. Knowing that Donghae just want him to be happy.

"Go to sleep, Hyuk-ah. You've been through a lot today. are't you tired?"

"Can you stay with me? I don't think I wanna be alone.. "

"I'll be here, don't you worry. Go to sleep. I got you.."

Donghae brushed Hyukjae's hair gently. He must be really exhausted with all those mixed of emotion. He fell asleep in his arm as fast as 1, 2, 3. Donghae couldn't help but smile as he watched him asleep, rubbing his cheek gently.

"Sleep tight, Hyuk. I would never leave you. I love you too much to ever lose you. From all of those happy memories, why do you have to remember this and suffered like this? I wished you would remember about something else. I wished you would remember that we love each other. I hope you just remember only the happy memories. But I have to wait for it patiently, don't I? Then I shall wait Hyuk-ah. I have faith in you and me. Just, remember soon, Hyuk-ah. I really miss holding you as the one that I love. I really miss you holding me as the one that you love. Until then, my love.. I shall wait.." 

... and the tears fell like a rain ....

================