Over Protective Fool

Come Back To Me

Donghae was panting hard. But he kept on going. Sweat was all over his body. He moved his body lively to the sound of the music. Hyukjae danced beside him, kept an eye on him from time to time, as if he was afraid that Donghae might fall or something. But he relax as donghae didn't show any sign that he was in pain. So they keep on dancing. Hyukjae was a bit surprise that donghae still remember most of the moved. Still lacking on the power but that was bearable.

"You still got it." Hyukjae said once they finished off the dance. "Impressive!"

Donghae slumped on the floor. panting hard. His white shirt was wet because of the sweat.

"You ok? Your legs hurt?" Hyukjae knelt before him. " Sit down, relax, stretch out your legs."

Donghae obeyed. He supported himself with his hands as hyukjae giving his legs a light massage.

"How do you feel now?"

"I'm fine, Hyuk. Don't worry." Donghae said. "Another round?"

"No. enough for now." Hyukjae shook his head. "You did great."

Donghae let his body fell on the floor. He stared at the ceiling. The concert tour begin in less than 2 weeks. He was scared, restless. He was afraid that he might not performing well. It has been so long since his last performance on the stage. What if he forgot the lyric, or the moves, what if he froze?

Donghae shook his head trying to get rid of those thoughts. Everythings would be alright. Hyukjae said so. He only needed to believe it. He had to be. Hyukjae had been always truthful, hadn't he?

Donghae sat up. His legs were killing him. He gave those pills to Hyukjae last night. He had no choice. It was for his own good. But experiencing this pain made him regret it a bit. If only he kept them...

"Here, take it. "Hyukjae gave him a bottle of mineral water and the pills. That pills. Donghae's eyes widen.

"The doctor said you should take it correctly. He reduced the doze. it's going to be like that until no longer needed."

Donghae nooded and took the pills."Thanks, Hyuk."

"Sit here. I'll go practising with the guys." Hyukjae stood up. "You're going to be ok?"

Donghae nodded. "Yeah you go and kill that dance floor, Hyuk!"

Hyukjae smiled, messing Donghae's hair. "You know I can't do that without you, Hae."

Donghae chuckled as Hyukjae jogged back to the dance floor and regrouped with all other members. They were dancing and singing. Donghae felt sad and helpless. He wanted so badly to be with them right now. Just dancing and singing. Looked like they were having a good time on the dance floor. They goofed around sometimes. Playfully scolded those who messed up the moved. 

Donghae put on his hedset and turn his Ipod on. He was not going to sit around and watched everyone working hard. He couldn't just sit around. He got up and started to moved his body, dancing. He closed his eyes tried to feel the music. He danced to Superman song. The dance was not hard and powerful. But it was beautifully composed.

Kyuhyun tapped Hyukjae's shoulder and gestured to Donghae. "He's getting better. Look at him."

"He's trying." Hyukjae looked at Donghae. His eyes look sad. He knew exactly what donghae had been through. and it wasn't easy. "You know how stubborn he is. He's trying hard to get back on his feet again. Literally."

"Yeah, do you think he can handle the concert?"

"2 songs." He said."That won't be a problem."

Kyuhyun frowned. "2 songs? That's not what I've heard."

Hyukjae turned to look at Kyuhyun. "What do you mean?"

"Manager hyung told me that our opening concert would be donghae hyung's come back." Khyuhyun said. "He will perform the whole songs."

Hyukjae's eyes widen. He shook his head furiously. "What? When did he told you? No way! He can't! He can't!"

Hyukjae moved away from Kyuhyun and went to the door. He was about to exit when a man walked in. It was one of their manager. One of the high rangking manager. Hyukjae bowed once their eyes met. The others bowed also.

"Leeteuk sii, you've work hard." He said. "Is everything ok?"

"Ne." Leeteuk bowed a bit. "We are practicing hard for the up coming concert. There's nothing to worry."

"Donghae-ssi.." The manager turned to look at Donghae, who was still dancing. He didn't notice of his presence. "I assume he's ready also?"

"Ne.." Leeteuk said as he stole a glance at hyukjae who was really impatient. Leeteuk could see that hyukjae really wanted to say something. But leeteuk knew Hyukjae would hold his thoughts. He wouldn't say something unless he was asked.

"I'm thrill to know. This is going to be his come back. I expect you all will help him up." He said.

Hyukjae looked at Leeteuk. His eyes pleading. Leeteuk knew what he wanted.

"Sir, Please forgive me for asking this. "Leeteuk started. "Regarding Donghae-ssi, I was concern about his physical condition a bit. I'd like to ask you if it would be possible if his participation on the opening concert would be limited."

The manager gazed at Donghae. Observe him. Then looked at Leeteuk.

"I can't see the reason why. Donghae was doing well."

"But sir, Please forgive me." Hyukjae said as he looked at Leeteuk with appologetic look. He knew it wasn't a polite thing to do. But he couldn't just stand there and say nothing. "Donghae has been through a lot and I know how hard it is for him to get back on his feet again after what happen. In my humble opinion this is just way overwhelming for him. He hasn't fully recovered and I'm afraid that pushing him too hard will effect his condition."

The manager gave Hyukjae a soft smile. " I believe in Donghae. Let's just leave him to decide."

"Decide about what?"

Donghae suddenly stood right behind the manager. He bowed when the man turned around.

"Ah Donghae-ssi. We were just discussing about your come back. " The manager gave him a light tapped on his shoulder. "Hyukjae was concered about your physical condition."

Donghae looked at hyukjae, but he looked away.

"Let me asked you a question and I need your answer. "

Donghae froze. He gulped, bit his lower lip and lower his head.

"I think you are ready to perform the whole concert. I know you can do it, I've been observing you during practice most of the time and I know you will be able to perform well. "He said. "So let me ask you, are you ready for it?"

Donghae looked at the manager, then looked at Hyukjae. Hyukjae shook his head slowly. Just answer NO, Hae..

"I'll do my best."

"Are you sure?" He asked again.

Donghae inhaled deeply. "I am sure."

Hyukjae staggering back. That was not the answer he wanted to hear. What the hell are you doing, Hae?

"Donghae, are you really sure?" Leeteuk asked. Just like Hyukjae, he wanted donghae just say no. But he knew it was not going to happen. He knew him to well. His pride was on the line. So he said nothing when Donghae nodded.

The manager tapped his shoulder and smiled. "It is settled then. Please work hard, everyone."

Everyone bowed as he left. There was awkward silence between them.

Donghae turned around and walked to the corner. Hyukjae was right behind him.

"Are you out of your mind?" He said. Donghae didn't say anything. So He took his wrist harshly to face him. Donghae cringed at the pain. "Are you listening to me?"

"Hyuk, let me go. You're hurting me.." Donghae tried to break free. But Hyukjae was too strong.

"What are you doing?" Hyukjae glared at him. "What are you trying to prove?"

"Have faith in me, Hyuk. I can do it."

"How? by bearing all the pain? Have you forgotten what happen last time? This stubborn attitude got you into trouble last time I check. You are still unwell. All those pain, those drugs you've taken. Don't you remember any of those?"

"Stop it, Hyuk!" Donghae glared back. " I know I've made a mistake with those drugs, I admit. I was wrong, ok? I was trying to ...."

"To what? ruin yourself?" Hyukjae laughed and shook his head. "I'm trying to save you here."

"From what?"

"From getting hurt than you already have. We've talked about this. I don't like it, Hae. You always pushing yourself."

Donghae turned around, but Hyukjae made him facing him again. Donghae looked into Hyukjae's eyes.

"I'm tired right now. I don't want to argue with you."

"Then don't. For once, please listen to me." Hyukjae pleading. "I'll talk to the manager."

"No! I have to do it."

Hyukjae loosen his grip on Donghae's wrist. He turned to face Leeteuk. "Hyung, please talk to him!"

"Don't!" Donghae said before Leeteuk opened his mouth to speak. "I know what I want. Just please let me do this."

Everyone looked at him. Donghae looked at them one by one.

"Please give me chance." He pleaded. "I know I'm not as good as Donghae you all know before. But I'm trying hard to be that Donghae again. I know I'll mess up big time. But I want to be on that stage with you all, just like old time."

"We know. " Leeteuk said. "I'm not worry about you messing up the performance. We are worry about your condition. We don't want you to get hurt any further."

"I'll bear the pain, Hyung."

"I'm not giving you any of those pills." Hyukjae said desperately. He knew that it was a worthless thing to say. It sounds like a threat and he was ashamed to even said that. All he wanted was that Donghae would back off. But Donghae just laughed.

"Then don't hyuk. Don't." Donghae said sadly. "From all people, Hyuk. From all people I expect you to support me. You are my best friend. I can't believe you even degrading me like that."

Hyukjae groaned. "I'm trying to take care of you, can't you see?"

Donghae nodded. "I thank you for that. But right now I want you to believe me. I want  you to support me."

" I am..!"

"No you don't! Donghae said. "You are just trying to hold me back. You are afraid that I might fall."

"I'm trying to protect you!"

"You're making me weak, Hyuk." Donghae said. Tears rolled down his cheeks. "Let me fall. Let me suffer. It will make me stronger. You're always behind me all the time. Busy protecting me, catching me. I don't even know what it's like to fall down. You never let me. That's not what I need. I need you to be by my side. I need your hand to lift me up once in awhile, not all the time. That way I will learn how to survive on my own."

Hyukjae closed his eyes, trying to process all Donghae's words inside his head. Was that true? Was I too over protective?

"Enough.." Yesung finally spoke. "We all know how important this is for Donghae. Let's just support him."

Hyukjae turned around and moved his feet to leave. Defeated. There was nothing he could do, so he walked away. But Donghae just rushing forward and hold him. He burried his face deeply on hyukjae's back and sob.

"Hyukkie.."

Hyukjae inhaled deeply. He wanted to hold him back, but his anger stopped him.

"I'm sorry If i make you angry.. again " Donghae said. "Let me do this, Hyukkie."

Hyukjae took Donghae's hands, put them aside, and walked away. Leaving donghae all shocked and devastated.

---------

Sungmin stopped the car in front of the house. He looked at Donghae on the passanger seat. His eyes drifted away. Sungmin even sure that donghae hadn't realize that they already arrived.

"Hae, you ok?"

Donghae inhaled and nodded. " Yeah, Hyung. I'm ok."

"Alright then, let's get you inside."

Sungmin stepped out the car and waited for Donghae to get off. Donghae slowly stepped out. The pain on his legs were once again making him cringed. Sungmin caught that expression on his face, it made him rushed toward him and took his waist to support him.

"You're shaking." Sungmin said, worried. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. it's just a side effect."

"Of what?" Sungmin supported him toward the door. Opened the door and get them inside. He put Donghae on the couch.

"Side effect of what?" He repeated.

"I haven't take any medicine for the last 3 days." Donghae said as he laid his head back. "This is what happen if I just stop taking it completely."

"What? you're not supposed to stop it completely." Sungmin said. "You must reduced the doze until no longer needed.  Where is it? I'll get it."

"Hyukjae kept it."

"Where?"

Donghae shook his head. " I don't know Hyung. He kept it. He's not trusting me again with that drugs."

"So he really meant what he said last time.." Sungmin mumbled. "Where is hyukjae?"

Donghae closed his eyes, trying to relax. Trying to ignore the pain. It will go away, he said to himself. It will go away.

"You're shaking so much." Sungmin said softly. His heart hurt seeing him like that. "Come on I'll get you to your room. Rest there, not here."

Donghae complied. Sungmin helped him up and walked him to his room, put him to bed and covered him with blanket.

"You're sweating..."

"But I feel cold, hyung." Donghae said.

"Try to sleep. I'll call hyukjae. Try to sleep."

Sungmin stayed for a moment just to make sure donghae was resting well. He then got up and walked toward the living room. He was about to call hyukjae when suddenly the front door open and hyukjae walked in.

"Where have you been?" Sungmin asked. "Give me that drugs. Donghae need it."

"Well, hello hyung."

"Stop that crap. Just give me that drugs. Where did you keep it?"

"I'm not giving it to Hae."

"What? Are you for real?"

Hyukjae walked toward the kitchen. Sungmin followed him. He was expecting hyukjae will give him the drugs, or at least showed him where it was. But hyukjae just went to the fridge and get himself a drink. Sungmin frowned.

"Have you seen him?"

"He's ok. He's tough! He doesn't need those pills. He doesn't need anybody."

Sungmin stared at him in disbelieved. "Hyuk, you know exactly what happen if hae stopped taking those drugs all of sudden. What's with you?!"

"He asked for it." Hyukjae defend himself. "He got it."

"My God." Sungmin hands fell on his side, . "Who are you? Did you hear what you just say? We are talking about Donghae! Our Donghae! your best friend! How can you say such thing?"

Hyukjae didn't say anything. He just sit athe kitchen counter, sipping his drink.

"You know, now I know how Donghae felt."

Hyukjae looked into sungmin's eyes. He wanted to shouted but he wouldn't dare to confront his hyung. Sungmin was one of those hyung that he respected most.

Sungmin suddenly took Hyukjae's wrist and litteraly drag him to Donghae's room. The door was open when sungmin left last time.

"Look at him!" Sungmin whispered emotionaly.

Hyukjae stared at his shoes. Sungmin had to lift his face up with his hand so he would looked at donghae. He was shocked at the scene in front of him. He saw him lying helplessly on the bed, all shaken up with all those sweat.

"That's what happen!" Sungmin whispered again. "Now get that drugs or I swaer to God I will.."

Hyukjae ran to his room without listening further. He had to take those drugs. where did he kept it? His mind was lost. He went through all the drawers, looking for it. He rushed back when he got it.

He passed sungmin at the door but he didn't stop to look at him. He sat on Donghae's bed carefully. He touched Donghae's face, waking him up.

"Hae, wake up for a moment. Hae?"

Donghae opened his eyes. He was surprised to see Hyukjae there. He tried to get up but he was all shaken up. Hyukjae had to help him up.

"Take these." Hyukjae gave the pills and get the water from the desk near the bed. "Take them, go on."

"Thanks.." Donghae mumbled as he took those pills and swollowed them in one go. Then he rested his head back on the soft pillow and closed his eyes. Hyukjae held his hand. His heart really torn apart seeing him like that. He was about to leave but Donghae didn't want to let go of his hand. So he sat back.

"Are you still mad at me?"

Hyukjae shook his head, he almost cry. "No. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

Donghae shook his head weakly.

"Just sleep, ok. We have to practice tomorrow. We have  alot of songs to work out. "

Donghae looked at Hyukjae's eyes. " You're not against me anymore?"

"I never against you. I was just being over protective. I was wrong maybe, I don't know. " Hyukjae said. " But I was wrong to hold you back. I forgot to act as a friend. I'm sorry."

"Just don't leave me again." Donghae said softly. "You know it's hard for me to do this without you."

"You know better, hae-ah. I always come back to you." Hyukjae said, squeezing his hand softly. " Always back for you."

Donghae smiled at that. It made hyukjae's heart felt warm. Those brown eyes were sparkling again. Those eyes never lie. He was happy, and it really made Hyukjae happy.

----------