Chapter 7

Awkward

 

 

“What did you say to him?”

Kai looks up from his locker and addresses Baekhyun with a blank stare.

“What,” he deadpans.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun says roughly, his shock long gone and replaced by anger. “I’m pretty sure he hates me now, and this has your name written all over it.”

Kai’s jaw tenses and it looks like there’s something he really wants to say. Instead, he sighs and shakes his head.

“Sometimes, I really don’t understand you,” Kai says in a low, calm voice. “And I didn’t say anything to him.”

“Yeah right,” Baekhyun spits. “I know you guys have been hanging out behind my back.”

“Do you hear yourself?” Kai asks, still not raising his voice. “We weren’t doing anything behind your back. Chanyeol’s a free human being like the rest of us. He doesn’t have to ask your permission to do anything.”

“Why are suddenly so interested in him?” Baekhyun says, looking like he might unleash on Kai any second. “You never gave a about him before so why now?”

“How can you even say that? He’s your best friend! And what’s your problem? It’s like you want Chanyeol’s life to be miserable if he doesn’t have you in it.”

“Kai,” Baekhyun says grimly as a horrific thought strikes him. “Do you… like him?”

“Why does it matter if I do?” Kai throws his hands up, like he’s about to give up on humanity all together. “What would you do then?”

“What… what do you mean?” Baekhyun stammers, not expecting Kai’s answer at all. Whatever Kai is implicating has made him feel like someone just punched him in the stomach.

“Nevermind,” Kai sighs, running his hands over his face in defeat. “And I don’t like him, so you can stop freaking the out. I swear to god, Byun Baekhyun. You need to sort yourself out because if this goes on for much longer, I won’t be able to control my actions.”

“What the hell?” Baekhyun asks, but Kai is already walking away. Baekhyun scratches his head, truly puzzled. Seriously… what the hell?

Baekhyun goes home that night and thinks. He thinks about Chanyeol and, well… mostly just Chanyeol.

He’s protective, he knows that much. He doesn’t know why he’s worried about losing him, because best friends can eventually be replaced. Together, they’ve been through a lot, but surely, he can move on and make new memories with someone else.

Right?

He also doesn’t know why he felt so stunned when he was under the assumption that Kai liked him. It’s not like Chanyeol is his boyfriend. He knows for a fact that Chanyeol would make a really bad boyfriend. He’s really forgetful and he doesn’t take anything seriously and he doesn’t like to go out anywhere and basically, the opposite of everything Baekhyun likes. But a small part of him can’t help but wonder what it would be like, to have Chanyeol as a boyfriend. Maybe, in some alternate universe where Baekhyun was a socially inept science geek, it could happen. Maybe.

And Chanyeol was definitely the best looking socially inept science geek at their school. And that counted for something. Right?

Chanyeol is terrible boyfriend material, Baekhyun decides. But perfect best friend material.

And he’s not jealous. He wouldn’t care if Kai and Chanyeol started dating. It’s really weird to picture and it’s so awkward thinking of Chanyeol, following Kai around like a little puppy rather than Baekhyun. And who would help him with Physics while Chanyeol was busy?

Okay, so he would care. But not because he wants to have Chanyeol for himself or anything! It’s like… a mother, who doesn’t want her son to date because he’s still her precious little baby, untainted by the world.

Yeah. That’s it. He’s like Chanyeol’s mother. Sort of.

And that’s why Baekhyun has always been so overbearing. It all makes sense now.

Still, Chanyeol had never complained about Baekhyun’s overbearing nature before. If anything, Baekhyun thought he liked it. Chanyeol had always depended on him, and now, Baekhyun guesses, he doesn’t anymore.

Maybe he has been too overbearing. He’ll back off a little, if that’s what Chanyeol wants. He’s not going to let his best friend go that easily. Third year has been stressful for him, and his emotions are heightened. Of course, that’s what it is. He just needs to relax a little. All of this drama is just… unnecessary. He’ll give Chanyeol a day or two to calm down, then everything will be back to normal. He’s sure of it.

 

 

The next week passes slowly. It’s weird, because Baekhyun has never gone so long without talking to his best friend before. But it’s for the best. For Chanyeol’s sake and his own.

The only thing that can deter Baekhyun’s mind from his best friend troubles is Kim Jonghyun himself.

He invites Baekhyun to come out with his friends on Friday night. Baekhyun had been planning on finally talking to Chanyeol on Friday, but he figures he can let it go for one more day.

On Friday night, Jonghyun picks Baekhyun up in his fancy car. It’s nice, but the thought that he’s riding in a car with practically the love of his life doesn’t make him feel like singing from the rooftops anymore.. He’s still giddy and fangirling on the inside, though.

They go to some fancy noraebang. Baekhyun’s only ever been to the shady one down the block from his house. This one is nice and he feels a little overwhelmed to be here, and with Jonghyun’s friends, too.

Jonghyun is by his side literally all night. He pays for his drink and he’s always insisting they sing another song together. Baekhyun’s head is kind of fuzzy from all the attention but he just goes with it.

His mind can’t help but wonder to Chanyeol. He wants to know what he’s doing right now. If he’s with Kai. A very small part of him sort of wishes he’d stayed home and gone over to his house instead.

They all stumble out of the noraebang around midnight. Jonghyun drives him home, and when they get there, he even walks Baekhyun to the door.

“You’re a lot of fun, Baekhyun,” he says, smirking. “Maybe we’ll have to bring you to noraebang all the time from now on.

Jonghyun is really close to him. Baekhyun bites his lip, waiting. Jonghyun just winks and ruffles his hair before bidding him goodnight and heading back to his car.

Baekhyun’s emotions are zipping every which way as he heads upstairs to his room. He feels like he’s floating, because oh, my god he thinks Kim Jonghyun likes him. He feels nervous too, though, which is weird, but he attests it to the fact that he’s never liked someone this much.

He flings open his bedroom door and jumps onto his bed like a teenage girl in a movie. His happy sigh is cut short when he feels some sharp and hard digging into his back.

“Ow, motherer,” he mumbles, flipping over to see what inanimate object had the audacity to ruin his perfect moment. 

It’s his gigantic Physics book, which is weird, because Baekhyun knows for a fact that it had been on his desk, collecting dust like it always did, when he left.

Also, there’s a paper sticking out of the side that wasn’t there before. Curious, Baekhyun pulls it out and lets out a weird noise somewhere between a squeal and a laugh when he sees what it is.

It’s that weekend’s Physics homework. The name at the top says Byun Baekhyun, but the handwriting is undeniably Park Chanyeol’s. 



 

this is part one of a double update. i'll say everything in the next chapter. because i have a lot to say. haha. 

this is word vomit. where is this story going. how did it even get to this point. OTTOKE. -_-

~Ari