Chapter 15

Awkward

 

 

 

“I really didn’t want to be the one that had to say this,” Kai says after they sit in silence for a good ten minutes. Baekhyun looks up at him curiously. School’s been over for nearly two hours now and the hallways are practically deserted. He knows they’ll probably be kicked out soon but Baekhyun honestly doesn’t even think he can stand up right now, let alone walk. It’s not even rejection he feels. Guilt, maybe, but that’s only part of it. He just feels sad. Really, really sad. “Hey!” Kai snaps his fingers in front of Baekhyun’s face. “Did you even hear what I just said?”

Baekhyun blinks once and shakes his head numbly. Kai sighs and runs his hands over his face. “Stop pouting, seriously. I know it feels like your life is over but it’s not. There might even be a way to fix this.”

The idea sparks Baekhyun’s interest but he doesn’t outwardly show it. He’ll pout all he wants. He’s Kai’s hyung so he’s not going to do anything the kid tells him to do. He just ruined multiple lives over the course of twenty-four hours so he thinks he’s entitled to his own little bout of moping.

“Chanyeol,” Kai says slowly, only after making sure he’s got Baekhyun’s full attention. “For some strange reason that I absolutely cannot comprehend… is in love with you.”

It comes as no surprise to the younger boy that Baekhyun’s first and immediate reaction is denial. He watches his hyungs eyes go wide before he furiously starts shaking his head. “He’s not…” he says softly.

Yes,” Kai stresses. “He is. But like I said, you might be only of the dumbest people to have walked the planet so it’s no shock that you wouldn’t know.”

“No,” Baekhyun says and Kai watches in half amusement and half pity as his face transforms from sad to panicked in two seconds flat. “He can’t be. I’m… I’m…”

“You’re what?” Kai asks and boy has he done it now because Kai has literally been waiting for this moment for years. To see the realization dawn over Byun Baekhyun’s face is something he needs to see. And he’s going to make sure he does. Right now. “You’re the only person he lets into his room? The only person he talked to for years? The person he’s constantly looking for in the hallways every day?”

“No,” Baekhyun says desperately and Kai has to clench his fists to keep from reaching out and smacking him. “I’m his best friend. Was his best friend.”

“Shut up!” Kai cries out, not being able to help himself as he smacks Baekhyun’s arm a few times. “I’m not done. You’re stupid so you’ve never seen it. But I have. I’ve seen everything.” Baekhyun opens his mouth to retort but quickly snaps it shut again when Kai delivers him another smack. It’s not too hard, but it’s enough to shut him up. “You didn’t have to watch the guy nearly shut down every time you got a new boyfriend. Or when you skip school, Chanyeol’s always wandering around like a lost puppy looking for you. And when someone tries to talk to him, do you even see the looks he shoots you? Like he’s asking for permission? And why do you think I’m always getting on your about treating him better? For my own sick amusement?”

Baekhyun just bites his lip; shakes his head ‘no’.

“Basically, Chanyeol’s planet sort of revolves around you. You’re like his sun. Wait… have I heard that from somewhere?” Kai his head and furrows his brow, thinking hard. Baekhyun lets a few seconds pass to see if Kai will get it, but he doesn’t.

“It’s from Twilight,” Baekhyun offers up quietly, sniffling as he does so. Kai’s eyes go wide and a look of disgust quickly comes over his face.

“Oh, god, it is, isn’t it?” He says, wrinkling his nose. “It’s my sister’s fault. But it’s true, though! You’re Edward and Chanyeol is your little freaking Bella, so blindingly in love with you that it’s sad. And he’ll always be in love with you no matter what idiotic you pull.”

“Okay, you need to stop,” Baekhyun mutters into his arms, which are folded across his knees. “You’re just making me feel worse.”

“Sorry,” Kai says in a way that lets Baekhyun know he’s not really sorry at all. “Do I look like a therapist? …” He runs his hand through his hair making it go in every direction. “Just, believe me, okay? Please, Baek,” he pleads. “Why would I tell you if it wasn’t true? Do you really think I wanna watch your guys’ relationship crash and burn?” After a brief pause he adds; “More than it already has, I mean.”

“I do,” Baekhyun says slowly. “I do believe you.” But coming to this new conclusion is only making Baekhyun feels worse. Now that Kai’s said it, Baekhyun understands just how ing stupid he was to never notice.

He remembers one night in particular, last year before Kim Jonghyun ever came into the picture. Before Kai and Chanyeol were all buddy-buddy and everything was relatively normal. It was Friday night so naturally, they were in Chanyeol’s room, being lazy and watching movies like always. Baekhyun had just kicked another boyfriend to the curb and was complaining about it to his best friend.

“…and he was boring and liked weird music and was kind of a bad kisser,” Baekhyun had rattled off as Chanyeol sat, seemingly engrossed in the movie. Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol never really paid attention to his boyfriend problems. That was why he was surprised when Chanyeol turned to him with an uncharacteristically serious look on his face.

“You should just be my boyfriend instead,” Chanyeol said and even though the movie was still playing, in Baekhyun’s mind, everything went entirely blank. He looked at Chanyeol with wide eyes, pretty sure he had the most unattractive expression on his face. Chanyeol studied his face for a good minute or two, his eyes flicking everywhere. Baekhyun felt like bolting from the room. Chanyeol was freaking him out, to be quite honest.

“I… uhm… what?” Baekhyun stuttered out and he had to blink because Chanyeol’s expression changed so fast. The grim line that was his mouth immediately turned up into the wide smile that he was used to.

“Just kidding!” Chanyeol said, bursting out into cackling laughter, turning back to the movie with that scary smile still on his face.

Baekhyun tried to calm his rapidly beating heart and vowed to himself to never think of that moment ever, everagain.

Just when he thought he’d finally managed to pull himself together, more tears quickly gather at his eyelashes. He literally fills so disgusted with himself, he thinks he’s going to be sick. He thinks of Chanyeol crying in the hallway only a few hours ago, and wonders if he’s cried for him before.

“There it is,” Kai mutters, heaving a deep sigh of what sounds like relief.

Baekhyun just looks at him, knowing that if he opens his mouth, some not so lovely sounds are going to come out. And maybe even something else, too.

“That look,” Kai says, his face lighting up like he just saw the Mary manifested on a potato chip… or something. “Finally, finally… something has made it to that pea sized brain of yours.”

“What?” Baekhyun says, his voice hoarse and over pitiful sounding. He’s not really appreciating being insulted, especially when his morale is so low in the first place.

“Everyone, please remember this date,” Kai calls out to the completely empty hallway, save for one creaky old janitor. “On this wonderful Thursday at 5:47 PM, stupid Byun Baekhyun finally stupidly realized that his best friend is stupidly in love with him.”

“Shut up, please,” Baekhyun whimpers into his knees, not really sure why Kai is so happy and jolly when Baekhyun more or less just ruined his life. “It doesn’t even matter now. I don’t think he’ll ever forgive me.”

“Oh please,” Kai rolls his eyes. “You’ve done plenty of stupid over the course of the years that just I’ve known you. I can’t even imagine what it was like before I came along.” Baekhyun makes an affronted noise low in his throat but Kai continues on. Baekhyun hasn’t seen him this genuinely happy in weeks. He’s glad that his ed up life can bring joy to someone, at least. “I’m sure Chan will forgive you,” Kai goes on. “I mean… he shouldn’t. You’ve caused him more than enough trauma. But for some reason, he’s that in love with you. You just have to make it up to him. Prove that you’re really, truly sorry and will try your best to not up again.”

Baekhyun doesn’t respond right away, which earns him yet another punch from Kai.

“Yah!” Baekhyun hisses, holding his arm that’ll probably be covered in bruises by tomorrow.

“You will, right?” Kai says, back in overprotective mode. “I’m helping you out this time but if this happens again, I swear to God I have no qualms about kicking your .”

“Yes, I will! Jesus… who says ‘qualms’ anyways?” Baekhyun rubs his sore arm. He has to admit though, even though Kai is abusive and bipolar as , his heart is in a good place. At least, Baekhyun thinks it is.

The fact that Chanyeol would ever actually forgive him is sort of outlandish to him. It’s not that he doesn’t want him to, but even Baekhyun knows that he’s messed up big time, and it’d take a saint to forgive him for what he did.

Maybe that’s what Chanyeol is. A saint.

Either way, Baekhyun is determined to make this right. He just wants his best friend back, if nothing else.

Kai stands up and cracks his back before holding out a hand towards Baekhyun to help him up. “Any ideas as to how you’re gonna do this?” He asks.

“Yeah, I think so,” Baekhyun says, standing on numb legs. “I’m gonna need a goldfish. And lots of bulgogi.”



 

i can't deal right now omg.

this was gonna be aaaangsty but first of all, when i started this story i wanted to try and write it humoursly because i at comedy writing and then we had like 6 chapters of angst and i was like IT YAY. also

i'm so emotional right now i couldn't have even handled it lol

so much drama in exo fandom right now o m f g are we serious right now? i'm not gonna say anything more about it. i just.. i can't.

and this is almost over. like two chapters left EXCUSE ME WHILE I SOB MY EYES OUT THIS STORY IS MY BABY

i swear to moses i will get around to replying. i promise. omg. i'm so sorry TT^TT

ALSO

THANK YOU FOR 700 SUBS!!! i passed it actually and omg i made a video for you guys and i put it on my tumblr but i took it down because it was embarrassing but idk how else to say thank you so here it is again i guess.

i don't have anything else to say. gonna go work on the KAISOO (OMGGG!~!) and maybe the baekyeol thing that is just getting ridiculously out of hand lol. 

idk guys. i'm in a glass case of emotion. 

BYE <3~

~Ari