Chapter 1

Awkward

 

It’s 11:15 AM, aka Byun Baekhyun’s favourite time of day.

11:15 means choir, and choir means one full hour of Kim Jonghyun.

Kim Jonghyun, as in, the boy who is more suited to be Baekhyun’s boyfriend than anyone on this earth.

Jonghyun transferred to the school at the beginning of the year. Apparently, he was a legend at his old school, one of the best arts high schools in the country. He came here on account of his mother, the school’s new tiny (but sort of scary) math teacher.

It didn't take long for Jonghyun to become popular. He was funny, likeable, and super good-looking. Plus, he had a voice that was bound to make him famous one day.

Baekhyun was just one of many that had fallen under his charms. It didn’t matter if it was boys or girls, Freshmen or Seniors, Kim Jonghyun had captured their hearts with his stupidly perfect smile. 

Baekhyun, however, considers himself luckier than the rest. For an entire hour, he got to sit right next to him, got to smell his amazing cologne and on good days, their arms would brush. The sad truth to the matter though, was that Baekhyun had said about five words to the guy in the entire three months he’d sat next to him.

Today, Baekhyun tells himself, is the day. He spent an extra twenty minutes on his hair this morning just to get ready for this moment. He’s going to talk to Kim Jonghyun. And he’s going to make him fall in love with him, gosh darn it.

He opens the door the choir room slowly. It’s about half full and everyone is talking amongst themselves in a flurry of voices. He sees Jonghyun sitting in his seat, fiddling with his phone. Right next to him is an empty seat. Baekhyun’s seat.

He approaches more cautiously than he normally does. Usually, he slips into class mere seconds before the bell rings so he has no time to even worry about anything. But today, he skipped his stop at the snack machine. He feels like he’s going to die of hunger, even though lunch is next period, but it’s all worth it. He hopes.

He checks his breath because Oh, my god how embarrassing would that be and then makes sure he’s not breathing too hard and then straightens out his jacket but it’s a lost cause because no one, no one, can make these uniforms looks good.

Except for Jonghyun, of course.

He slides into his seat and he’s got the words ready on his tongue (‘Hi, Jonghyun-ssi, how are you?’) but they kind of get stuck there and now he can feel Jonghyun looking at him but he can’t open his mouth and he turns away, pretending to look for something in his bag when he’s really berating himself for being such an idiot.

It’s not like Baekhyun is bad at talking to cute boys. He’s had enough boyfriends in the past to reassure him that he wasn’t a complete fail when it came to dating (well, aside from his little… problem), so he wonders why the hell it’s so hard to function properly around Kim Jonghyun.

Tomorrow, he tells himself. Tomorrow, he will talk to Kim Jonghyun.

Except fate (or something) has other plans.

“You’re early, today,” Kim Jonghyun says and Baekhyun blinks, hands still roaming aimlessly around his bag. He turns towards the owner of that beautiful voice and he’ s smiling at him and Baekhyun wonders what he did right to deserve such a wonderful thing.

“Uhh… yeah…” he says, immediately wincing how dumb he sounds.

Jonghyun chuckles. “You didn’t get your cookies, today.”

That’s it. Baekhyun has completely lost all coherency. He doesn’t know what to say. Thankfully, Jonghyun continues.

“Every day you rush in, and you throw away the empty bag,” he explains. He’s still smiling and he’s got a glint in his eye that makes Baekhyun think he might be making fun of him.

“I have math before this,” he says defensively, wondering ‘Wow, where the hell did that come from?’ “It literally out all of my energy so I eat to make sure I don’t die from brain exhaustion.”

Oh , Baekhyun thinks, a little too late. My mouth is on autopilot. He wonders what’s worse. Sitting next to his crush and not saying a word, or holding a conversation with him and looking like an idiot.

“You’re in my mom’s Pre-Calc class, aren’t you?”  Jonghyun asks. At the same time he throws his arm around the back of Baekhyun’s chair and it’s all he can do just to function a single nod. “Sometimes, I help my mom grade papers.”

“Oh,” Baekhyun really cannot believe that Jonghyun notices things about him. Even if it’s the fact that he eats cookies and epically fails at math. “So you know how stupid I am then, right?”

“Of course not!” Jonghyun shakes his head, still chuckling. “Some people just don’t have math oriented brains is all.”

Their choir teacher picks that exact moment to burst into class. If there’s anyone who’s ever later than Baekhyun, it’s Miss Kwon, their eclectic (to put it nicely) choir teacher.

“Okay, everyone!” Miss Kwon calls out and at that exact same moment Baekhyun swears he hears Kim Jonghyun whisper, “I’ll tutor you.”

 

 

 

As it turns out, Baekhyun’s ears haven’t failed him and Jonghyun really did offer to tutor him. He catches up to him as Baekhyun is trying to escape the room quickly so he can run to Kai and fanboy about everything that has just happened.

(Kai never listens. He could care less. But Baekhyun goes on anyways because he never says anything.)

“I really will tutor you,” Jonghyun says as they’re walking side by side and Baekhyun’s internally freaking out because his brain is already half way in fanboy mode and he really doesn’t want to say something embarrassing. “Even though I make practically straight A’s, my parents are still on me about service hours and all that ."

Baekhyun blanches. ‘So he’s just doing it for extra credit?’ he thinks glumly.

“Not that I’m using you for it or anything!” Jonghyun amends quickly. “You’re a good kid and I wanna help you out. You remind me a lot of how I used to be.”

I’m only two years younger than you. Baekhyun thinks.

“I think you’re really talented,” Jonghyun goes on to say. “You’re really talented. You wanna be an idol?”

Stunned by the compliments coming his way courtesy of the cutest boy on earth, Baekhyun shrugs, trying to appear like he’s not dying of joy on the inside.

“I’d buy your albums,” Jonghyun says with a laugh. “Drag my sister along to your fansigns and all that.”

“No,” Baekhyun shakes his head. “You’re ten times more talented than I’ll ever be.”

Jonghyun lightly nudges him with his shoulder. “You need to learn to accept compliments, Byun Baekhyun. I’ll talk to you about tutoring tomorrow.” And then, he winks, he winks, and goes off in the opposite direction.

Baekhyun feels like he is swimming in an ocean of cotton candy or some equally as sappy . Honestly, he would have been happy with “Hi, Jonghyun-ssi, how are you?” “Good, thank you.” But he got an entire conversation revolving around himself, an offer to be tutored and a compliment?

What the hell just happened?

He really can’t focus on anything and he walks towards the general direction of his locker in a daze.

He doesn’t even notices that someone (a very tall someone) is already standing there.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol shouts and no one even looks his way because they’re used to that deep voice bellowing out Baekhyun’s name the same exact time every day.

Baekhyun just walks towards his locker, looking like he’s possessed or a zombie or maybe even an unfortunate mixture of the two.

“Wow, your hair looks really good, today, Hyunnie!” Baekhyun can feel Chanyeol’s smile and he really wants to turn and look at it but he can’t even stop his possessed brain from shoving his things into his locker.

“Thanks,” is what he mumbles.

Chanyeol reaches out and taps Baekhyun’s cheek, like he’s a puppy begging for attention. “I got new glasses,” he says. “They’re not real but I think they make me look cute. What do you think?”

“Sure,” Baekhyun says absentmindedly. He doesn’t mean to be so offhandish with his best friend, especially since he usually commands Baekhyun’s attention 99% of the time, and Chanyeol isn’t used to it.

Still, he’s never been known to give up so easily.

“A 76%, Hyunnie?” He asks, plucking Baekhyun’s math test from his book just as Baekhyun is setting it in his locker. Baekhyun just shakes his head, slamming his locker door shut with a little more force than necessary.

“Some people just don’t have math oriented brains,” he mutters as he heads towards the cafeteria, Chanyeol hot on his heels.

“I could have told you that,” Chanyeol laughs, putting his hands on the shorter boy’s shoulders. “You want me to tutor you? I’ll do it for free.”

At this, Baekhyun really can’t help the stupid smile that overtakes his face. He's gone from zombie to fanboy in a matter of seconds.

“Actually, Yeol,” he turns towards his friend for the first time today and blinks suddenly because Wow, those glasses are ugly. They still make him look cute though, (at least, Baekhyun thinks so, but he knows most people wouldn’t) in a weird way that only Park Chanyeol could pull off. “I’ve already got a tutor.”

Then he turns back around and practically skips into the cafeteria, ready to assault Kai’s ears with an entire retelling of the past hour. He doesn’t take anymore notice of his best friend, who’s left alone frowning in the hallway.

 


legit true story. i had this all ready to be posted at like 11:30 this morning and looked at it and decided i hated it and scrapped it ALL and started over. 

when i said this story was going to kill me i legit wasn't joking.

anyways, first chapter's up! i know you're all probably like WTF JONGHYUN. but yes. jonghyun. him and baek are super alike, okay. short, adorable, beautiful, and have a voice from the angels. IT WORKS OK.

oh and a big OH MY GOD WHY BUT I LOVE YOU to everyone who subscribed~

and if you haven't noticed yet i still don't have a poster. i'm killing myself just to get this out lol. hope you don't mind gifs for the time being. OF COURSE YOU DON'T.

FUN FACT. this story started out as a Minho & OC (and Jay Park somehow was in there idk lol) and then it changed  to Minkey and now it's Baekyeol. but i think it fits baekyeol, so... ^_^

oh. and i know this story is rated m but if you wanted hot y times right away then i'm sorry OTL. given the entire nature of the story you can bet your little tush it'll be here. but just... not now. 

my are my AN's always so long. idk. tell me what you thought! i'd like to hear. <3

~Ari