Four

The Golden Hotel 3 (골든 호텔 3)

A bit embarrassed, Luhan rubbed his nape. "We kind off got into trouble while in Baekhyun's room."

Tao pinched his nose bridge. "Gege accidentally pressed a button and we almost got locked inside."

continued his sentence, "If it weren't for Tao oppa, whom I asked to stand near the door, we're toast."

"Wait, what button?" Lay curiously asked. "I didn't see any button inside the room."

"Yeah, I agree." Kai nodded in agreement. "The place is really isolated."

"Well…" Luhan twitched his lips. "When I was examining the touch screen device, I noticed the glass protecting the device was the only one destroyed, not the touch screen itself."

"Whoa, wait? Not the touch screen itself?" D.O furrowed his eyebrows. "How's that possible?" 

"Yeah~" Sehun nodded. "If the whole room is an oven room."

"Good question, Sehuhn."  bit her lips to think.

Luhan snapped his fingers. "Aish! I should have inspected the flooring."

"Wait!" Kris raised his hand up in the air. "I touched the flooring when I entered the room."

"Same here."  also agreed. "Although, I didn't touch the flooring surrounding the touch screen device."

"Well, I did." Kris tried to remember the scene. "When I tried knocking the floor, it was hard. Usually, if it were steel, it would sound like one. I didn't bother noticing the difference since I had to answer the game fast."

"… … …Hmmm."  tried finding out the trick. "This is tricky, but I think the device was surrounded by heat resistant cement."

"Eh? Heat resistant cement?" Suho raised an eyebrow. "But it doesn't explain how that glass shattered."

She snapped her fingers. "Well, that's the trick. It's a high heat resistant cement. Maybe, when the room was heating up, the device wasn't really affected in the first place. Somehow, the glass shattered because it wasn't protected outside."  then eyed Luhan. "Did you notice anything more? Like, the glass being attached to anything?"

Luhan thought hard while everyone listened. "Well, I did notice the glass was attached to a steel- WHOA! You're right!"

"Well, there you have it folks. Mystery answered."  made it sound like she knew everything, dumbfounding all of them.


The heck?…
How did she…


Chen's eye twitched. "Are you sure you're not behind everything?"

"Why are you so smart?" Xiumin playfully eyed her.

"Uhm~"  was about to say something when Tao and Luhan defended her together with Chanyeol.

"Don't doubt her!!!"

The atmosphere between the members abruptly went awkward. Three EXO members got all protective.

D.O leaned in to whisper at Kai. "I think the three is somehow attached to her now." 

"Maybe…" Kai smirked, looking at all their reactions.

"Hyung?..." Luhan crept out Sehun when he shouted along with Tao and Chanyeol.

To escape the awkward moment, Kris coughed out loudly to get their attentions. "Okay! We should be resting now and you four-" He pointed at , Tao, Luhan and Chanyeol. "You should eat the food we have prepared minutes ago. Just heat it up again. Then go to sleep—and Tao? Don't add more eye bags by staying up late…"

Tao flashed a bashful smile. "Uhm… Yes, gege."

heaved a deep sigh inwardly. "Thank you, Kris oppa…"

----After four days----

1 week had already passed by after Baekhyun's death. Everybody tried their best to act normal. Sulking wasn't an option, although, they all knew that they’re in danger. There were times some members would start crying and feeling down all of a sudden, but sooner or later, they would calm down. Communications were all dead. No one could contact the people outside. Was somebody even looking for them? They could’ve at least been found before Baekhyun could die, but no one knew of their whereabouts yet.

----, Sehun, Chanyeol, Luhan----

"I wonder what will happen to all of us?" Sehun wondered worriedly.

All of them were sitting on the floor at the living room, gathered around in a circle after eating their lunch.

"Beats me…" Chanyeol shrugged, bringing his knees up to his chest.

"I can't help but to think about how we will die." Luhan frowned at the thought.

looked at Luhan surprisingly. "Don't say that! We will find a way to reveal the killer."

----Tao, Chen, Xiumin, Kris----

"How would we know if one of us is the killer?" Tao asked the almost impossible.

"I don't know either, Tao." Kris sighed deeply. " It's hard to guess with very little evidence."

"Well, you're right." Xiumin agreed. "It's even hard to believe that it is among us."

Chen dropped his gaze down the floor. "It doesn't mean we should suspect each other, right?" He tilted his head up to check their expressions.

----Kai, D.O, Lay, Suho----

Suho saw their hesitant expressions and he let out a deep sigh. "Try your best not to doubt each other, arasseo?"

They only nodded their heads. But they knew in their hearts they already doubted some and that trust was beginning to crumble into pieces as day went by. It wasn't that easy, and surely nobody wanted what was happening to them.

"It makes me laugh to think that we'll be playing games." Lay softly chuckled sarcastically in his place.

"A death game, to be exact." Kai blew his bangs in frustration.

D.O leaned in against the wall. "I really don't know what I'm saying but I'm ready to die-"


Screech.

"NO, I'M NOT READY TO DIE!!!" D.O ran behind Kai when the speakers were .

----, Sehun, Chanyeol, Luhan----

"Omo!"  held her chest in fright. "What time is it?" 

Chanyeol looked at his wristwatch. "Almost 4pm."

"We've been talking for so long, we didn't notice the time." Luhan said.

Sehun nodded. "I guess it's game time again?"

----Tao, Chen, Xiumin, Kris----

When the announcement was about to be heard, they gathered closer to each other. The voice crept them out and they also wondered who or how was the person behind the speakers talking if it was one of the EXO members?


Hello again…
Well, will you all look at the time?
It's almost four again…
You guys must be wondering, why is it always four?

I'll give you a little knowledge…
Four is an unlucky number.
Well, I'm sure some of you have heard of it.
If you haven't, poor you!

Anyway, proceed to the 18th Floor, Room 326.
We shall have a very… cool game.
Hahaha! I'll group you into four groups.
Listen carefully for your names…

Chanyeol, Chen and Xiumin
, Kris and D.O
Lay, Suho and Luhan
Sehun, Tao and Kai

Got it? 
You'll encounter the instructions there on how to play when you arrive.
Do I make myself clear?
I am watching, just so you know.


----Kai, D.O, Lay, Suho----

"It's game time again…" D.O frowned, nervous to even move.

"We should just do our best." Kai encouraged everybody.

Lay nodded. "Yeah~ and be prepared."

Suho sighed deeply. "I just hope nobody will die here… in purpose."

After that announcement, their bodies quaked in fear. It could be any one of them. When they exchanged looks, they were terrified of each other. Who could blame them? Without further ado, they went out of their rooms to meet up with their fellow group mates.

----18th floor----

While they were all walking down the corridor to search for the room number, they decided to have a little chat before they could find the door. The youngest in EXO was the one who initiated the conversation.

"Who knows the meaning of four?" Sehun asked out of curiosity. "I mean, what's the big deal with four?"

Kris tried telling what he knew, "From what I’ve heard… the number four in Chinese is considered unlucky since it sounds like die."

Hearing the word die,  suddenly exclaimed, "Oh, I remember!" All ears were lent. "Number 4 is considered an unlucky number in Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Japanese cultures because it is a homonym with the word "death" pinyin sǐ."

Kris added, "Ah! Yes… and 14 is the unluckiest. In some foreign countries, the number 13th is the unluckiest number."

"Whoa… I didn't know that." Tao only realized now.

"Then we should never have any numbers at all!" Xiumin pouted. 

"I'll be forever scared of numbers now." Chen shivered.

"So… does this mean, the killer somehow gave us a clue?" Luhan asked a possibility.

"We've been grouped in four, the killer told us about the number four, and we shall play at around 4PM." Lay mentioned four thrice.

"444… ack!" Kai grimaced.

"That is plain creepy!" D.O shivered in fright.

"Do you guys think those are clue?" Chanyeol wondered.

"Oh, I've been thinking about that." Suho turned to . "Is it applicable?"

"Applicable?" She bit her lip to think more. "I'm not sure… but it is creepy! Or maybe just a coincidence and… you know those misleading clues? It can also be like that, but who knows?"  shrugged her shoulders.

Shortly after, they arrived in front of the room they've been looking for. Everything stopped for a while and their hearts began beating rapidly than usual. A sudden urge to back out sprung, but they couldn't do so. As if their feet were all stuck on the ground—immobile.