Her Bestfriend's Greatest Love

My Devil Mentor

Minhyun’s POV

--------------------------------FLASHBACK---------------------------------

                “Minhyun, what are you doing with your life?!?” my father scolded me when he saw me enter the housedrunk. I call this dull house, a house. It’s never a home to me… I hate this place. So going back, I’m drunk again. My dad’s scolding me since tomorrow’s my final exams and my grades are close to failing. This has currently been my daily routine. Party all night, and then attend my classes the next day with extreme hangover. FML. All these years, I can’t believe she’s still the one I always dream about… she’s still the one I love. So I chose befriending bad influence people because they’re always busy, doing nonsense. And I need to do anything; I need to busy myself… because I don’t want to think of her, even if it means destroying my kidneys from too much alcohol intake. It’s suffocating, to think that she’s at the other part of the globe. I don’t even know if she’s already forgotten about me, and here I am… still holding onto her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                “I don’t even know what to do with him, oppa. He’s ruining his future. If I ask him what’s wrong, he’ll say nothing… he probably won’t go there, he always wants to party and sleep all day,” I heard my mom talking to someone on the phone. “It’s a good opportunity, even if I agree to it, he might not like the idea of going back to Seoul and work,” I heard her talk again… and I heard the word Seoul clearly. “Mom, who are you talking to?” I finally appeared and asked her. “Your one and only uncle asks me to… uhm, you talk to him, here,” she didn’t finish what she was telling me instead she just handed me the phone.

              “Yoboseyo?” I started talking. “Minhyun? Minhyun-ah!!” I still recognize my uncle’s voice. “Ne, uncle. Waeyo?” I asked him while I just saw my mom looking at me. “I have a job for you here, Assistant Director. I might be needing you for about 2-3 weeks. Don’t worry, the pay’s great! I know you have no idea how this works, but it’s easy. Think of it as a vacation and---,” “I’m taking the job. When should I leave?” I didn’t let him finish and took his offer. I saw my mom’s eyes widen. “The day after tomorrow. I’ll be the one to pick you up the airport,” he said. “Okay, see you the day after tomorrow uncle. Thanks,” I told him. “Okay Minhyun-ah, I’ll hang up now,” he ended the call.

               “You… accepted the offer?” mom asked me after I handed her back her phone. “Yeah… I’ve got nothing to do,” I said and she just nodded. It’s a lie. I accepted the offer not because I’ve got nothing to do. I accepted uncle’s offer because I need to keep my promise… I need to return… for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                The day before the flight, I had my haircut since ages. I also shaved every bit of hair on my face that grew from 50% puberty and 50% abandonment. I made sure I look good before finally returning home. When I arrived at my parent's house, I was greeted by shocked expression from both my mom and dad. I expected this. “I thought it’s good to look professional,” I explained even before they ask anything.

                I went back to my room and checked if I packed everything there is to bring. I looked at my desk and saw an almost forgotten box. This is where I kept all my unsent letters for her. Yes, I wrote for her everyday… but I never sent her one. I don’t want her to begin hoping for my return, even I’m not sure if I will return myself. I stopped writing when I entered high school. I realized I was fooling myself, writing letters every day but keeping them all in this box... But not anymore because... I’m finally sending these to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                When I finally arrived here in Seoul, I wasn’t even given the time to rest. My uncle drove me straight to SME for my first day work. There’s still time. I can just visit her house. I still know where it is… I never forgot my home’s location, it’s just a block away from her house… but I hope they didn’t move. So I entered this so-called SME building for the first time when my uncle asked me to buy him coffee for the both of us. He told me to head to the 7th floor and look for the room with a wooden door after. So now, I’m in the cafeteria buying my uncle and myself some coffee… when some girl suddenly struck my attention. Her long silky hair that falls in a unique but enchanting way, and her eyes… I placed the coffee I bought on an empty table close to her… “______-ah?”

--------------------------------------------------------END OF FLASHBACK---------------------------------------------------

 

 

Double-update done! :) Thanks for your comments!~ keep them coming. I love reading your feedbacks~ <3