it hurts

The Saddest Love Story

 

Music: I Wonder If You Hurt Like Me - 2 AM

 

 

You and Sungmin met for a lunch date in a fancy restaurant. He was trying to penetrate through your soul as he gazed at you. You lowered your head to hide the blush creeping up your cheeks. Behind the smile on your face, there was discomfort in your eyes.

 

"Sungmin oppa, why are you staring at me like I’ve just grown two heads?" You asked as you tilted your head to the side. You looked up to him, but his expression a while ago never left his face. 

 

"Is there something on my face?" You raised a perfect eyebrow. You dramatically wiped your cheeks with the back of your hands. "Do you have something to tell me?" He cut your sentences off and asked calmly.

 

"Tell me." He said in a soft voice. You stiffened, once Sungmin talks to you like that, he meant business but still, care and love were evident in his voice. "Sungmin oppa." You whispered, but enough for him to hear.

 

"Oppa, I'm sorry." You tearfully looked into his eyes. He gently took you in his safe arms and soothed your back. You looked down, hesitant to spill everything.

 

"Oppa, I'm going to Europe." You want to avoid the sight of hurt in his beautiful eyes. You sobbed like there was no tomorrow. For you, there are only two people in this world, you and Sungmin.

 

"Don't cry. I hate to see you in this condition. Don't worry, I'll wait for you." He said as he wiped your tears away. "But, will you tell me why?" He said as his own voice cracked as he cried.

 

"I'll take over of our business in Europe." You said, wiping Sungmin's tears away after your revelation. "How long are you...” Sungmin can't say the word he fears. "...Away?" You whispered the last word.

 

You did not bother to reply. "Sungmin oppa, I don't know. Maybe, five years? Or maybe, more." Sungmin can't help but to break down in tears. "What? Five years? Or more than that?"

 

He whispered into your ear softly. "But, I will wait for you." He smiled a rare heartwarming smile. "I don't want you to wait for me, oppa." You spoke in a shaky voice.

 

"Stay. Stay here in Seoul, and be with me." Sungmin said. "But, I can't leave my family suffering in Europe." You stated in a sad tone. "I can't go to Europe with you. SM Entertainment will let our group debut in Korean TV in a month."

 

Sungmin blinked back his tears. "I will wait for you no matter what.” Sungmin stated firmly. “No, don’t wait for me.” You said as you shook your head profusely. "We will just be hurting each other."

 

“What are you talking about?” Sungmin’s tears threatened to pour out again. “Oppa, let’s break up.” You looked away from his eyes. “Please don’t let me hold you down."

 

“Do you really want to break up with me?” Sungmin asked. “It’s the only way to let go of one another.” You looked away. You gazed at each other with sorrowful.

 

Your eyes were full of pain as you smiled. “We should forget about each other, for us to let go in an easier way. It will take us less pain, oppa.” Sungmin smiled.

 

“So, this is our bittersweet goodbye then, huh?” You smiled and nodded.

 

Even though you still love each other, you and Sungmin broke up. But a broken relationship can never break the love that is shared between two hearts.

 

And with those words said, both ex-lovers who still loved each other, parted ways.

 

 

Almost seven years had already passed. You became one of the top successful business icons in Europe. Super Junior is becoming popular each day not just in South Korea but also around the whole world.

 

The moment your airplane landed in South Korea, you immediately went to Seoul’s largest church. It was nicely decorated, everything was beautiful and peaceful. You settled in a seat in the church.

 

A voice yelped in disbelief, saying your name. You looked back to find the owner of the voice. "Taemin!" You shouted excitedly. Taemin can’t help to fall for you again and again. “I missed you so much, noona!”

 

He said as he pulled away from the hug. “You’ve grown up.” You looked at him up and down. “Noona, I can’t be a little boy forever!”

 

The wedding bells rang. Your heart ached at every sound of it. Sungmin walked to the altar. Then, both of your eyes met. Your gazes locked for a moment. He smiled at you. You just faked a smile.

 

February 14, you would always hate this day. This is the date of Sungmin and Hyeri's wedding and this date also used to be your anniversary when you were still together.

 

The grand double doors opened, and Hyeri went out wearing a bridal gown. She hates the stares Sungmin gave you. She felt betrayed, played and used. You smiled at her, but Hyeri never returned her smile.

 

All along the wedding, your eyes wandered around and it brings back painful memories. You stared at the pink ribbons and blue roses on Hyeri's hands. ‘I’d Rather’ by Luther Vandross was played on the background.

 

Everything about it tells a story of misery. After the wedding, you managed to talk to Sungmin alone. Hyeri caught the two of you in the balcony. She listened to your conversation secretly. 

 

The words from Sungmin’s mouth hurts, they felt like bullets shot on her heart. The one who is hurt the most in here is not you, but her. 

 

The one who deserved to be called a is not you, but her. She cried not because of pain but because of guilt and sympathy and walked back to the reception area.

 

I hate this marriage. It’s a one-sided love between us two. I married a man who doesn’t love me back. I may have everything I ever wanted in this world, but the truth is that I gained nothing until the end. Sungmin, you've chosen me but why do you still love her?

 

“Is it wrong for someone in love to be selfish once in a while?” Hyeri wiped her tears hastily and went back to the reception.

 

Taemin saw Hyeri following you and Sungmin, and he also followed. The four of you reached the balcony.  After listening to the conversation, he froze in his spot. It was like his soul was taken away from his body. The only reason why he is holding on is gone.

 

You cried because of him, yet you still believe him? He lets go of you, yet you still hold onto him? He didn’t fight for his love for you, yet you still want him? He married another girl, yet you still love him? Why can’t it just be me? What do I have to prove to you to make you believe that I deserve your love? I love you so much that I’d rather be hurt than seeing you hurt and I’d rather be sad to see you happy. You've hurt me, but I can’t hate you.  I am not going to fight for my love for you, nor will I give it up.

 

Taemin was in pain. Is it his heart breaking? He can hear something fragile inside of him cracking.

 

“Will letting go of a loved one replace the pain of a broken heart?” Taemin ran to his car and drove away.

 

You grabbed Sungmin’s hand and dragged him to the elevator. After a few minutes, you stepped out of the lift and went to the balcony. Suddenly, tears uncontrollably rolled down your cheeks.

 

“How dare you to use our favorite couple color as the background of your wedding? How dare you to use our favorite flowers as the decoration of your wedding? How dare you to set our anniversary as your wedding day? And how dare you use our theme song as the song of your wedding?"

 

He caught your hands before you can throw a punch. Unexpectedly, he pulled you in a tight hug. It’s a hug that tells stories of love and regret. Rain poured down from the sky.

 

The rain reflected your emotions as of the moment, heavy and dark. You shivered under the rain. It is nothing compared to the pain and suffering that you are facing now.

 

Then, Sungmin spoke. “Because it is the only way I could pretend that you are my bride.” And with those words said, both ex-lovers who still loved each other, parted ways.

 

 

Seven days after Sungmin and Hyeri’s wedding, you received a voice mail from Sungmin. There was a hint of drunkenness in your ex-lover's hushed voice.

 

Love? What is love?

Why do we have to be in love? Why do we fall in love?

Have you been hurt because of love? Me? Yes.

But life doesn't end just because of a broken heart, right?

When you came into my life, I thought I would no longer be hurt. But you were the one I am hurting.

Sorry. That's the only thing I can say. Sorry.

I am happy with what we have now. At least, we don't fight anymore. We don't hurt each other anymore.  

Maybe now is the time to give chance to others.

Don't worry, I am not angry at you. I already forgot all my pain. I hope you do too.

Let's set each other free.

 

Your phone rang when Sungmin called you, but you just stared at Sungmin's name on your phone screen.. 

 

Sungmin was calling your phone for a few times already. "She's not picking up. Maybe she's asleep." He looked up to the clock, but he can't clearly see the time. He rubbed his eyes and blinked the drunkenness and blurriness away.

 

"2 a.m.?" Grabbing the bottle of the alcoholic drink, he went to the balcony.  Resting his arms on the railings, he looked up to the moon. He slapped his cheeks since he felt tipsy. Fishing his phone out of his pocket, he tried calling you again but you’re not answering his calls.

 

He grabbed his jacket and car keys. "Not answering my call? Then, I'm coming to see you." Even though he is drunk, he still drove his car to your house. He was desperate to see you, he was driving in full speed and he almost bumped to a lamp post.

 

Turning his wheels and driving in full speed, bright lights blinded his eyes. CRASH! And he crashed to another car.  Pain was felt all over his body and brain. His vision was blurry and sounds were fading. He felt sleepy, exhausted and cold. So, he closed his eyes.

 

An ambulance's siren was heard and the medics rushed to the place of accident. Many idols, reporters and fans flooded the area.

 

Taemin and other idols dashed to the hospital to visit Sungmin. As Taemin made his way towards Sungmin’s room, there were rumors circulating around the corridors as fan girls gossiped.

 

"I can't believe that the person on the other car dared to kill our Lee Sungmin. Maybe she's a crazy fan."

 

"She might be one of those crazy stalkers that just want attention. Good thing that she also died."

 

"Serves her right. But that suicidal doesn't need to kill Sungmin if she just wants attention."

 

"What an attention-. I bet she is really ugly and evil that no one even likes to love that ."

 

The Super Junior members and ELFs gathered outside the room, praying. Taemin silently opened the door and went inside the room. Hyeri cried as she held Sungmin's pale hand. Taemin tapped her shoulder gently to show sympathy.

 

Taemin's eyes landed on Sungmin. His lips were pale and his hands were cold, covered with bruises. His arms and legs had small cuts on it. Dextrose and an oxygen mask were attached to his body. His head was wrapped in a white bandage.

 

Hyeri spoke in a shaky voice. "The doctor said that he is having a blood clot on his head.” She wasn't able to continue but Taemin knows what she means. Sungmin will be gone at any time of the day? He can't believe it. It seems impossible just like a dream.

 

Sungmin’s finger twitched, causing them to stare at him. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open. He removed the oxygen mask and weakly smiled.

 

Hyeri held Sungmin's hands. "Oppa, are you okay now? How do you feel?" Sungmin looked at them. "Please listen to me." Taemin felt his eyes moisten seeing him.

 

Sungmin spoke in a voice that was almost inaudible. “Tell the person of the other car that I’m sorry.”

 

Sungmin looked out of the window, he even tried to reach out but failed. "All fourteen of them are here but it’s sad to know that we are together as fifteen again in this kind of situation. Please tell the ELFs that they're the best fan base ever because they made us believe that Super Junior is the best of the best.”

 

Sungmin touched Hyeri's cheek. "I am so sorry for the wrong things I've done that caused pain to you and have hurt you, Hyeri. I hope you will find the right person for you, my wife."

 

Hyeri sadly smiled with her tears falling. "Oppa, it's okay." Sungmin closed his eyes, scaring everyone, but opened them again.

 

He asked Hyeri to deliver a message for you. “Please tell her that I'm sorry for breaking up with her. I'm sorry for breaking her heart. I'm sorry for making her cry. I'm sorry for fighting with her. I'm sorry for not fighting for her. I'm sorry for letting go and for not waiting.”

 

Sungmin tried to speak even though his throat is ripping apart. "Please don't fail to tell her that I still love her. Hyeri, will you please tell her that?"

 

Hyeri looked at his eyes. "No, I can't tell those words to her." He begged her. "But that's my last wish. There was desperation in her voice as she spoke. "I can't really tell her. I can't!"

 

Taemin placed his hand lightly on Sungmin’s shoulder. “Hyung, I will be the one to tell her about that. Hyeri looked at Taemin with rage. “You can’t tell her!”

 

Sungmin’s voice faded as he spoke the same three words again and again. “Please tell her.” Pain was felt all over his body and brain. His vision was blurry and sounds were fading.

 

He felt sleepy, exhausted and cold. So, he closed his eyes. Forever.

 

Medical staffs tried to save him but there is nothing they can do to save his life. Cries of the miseries of his family, friends, members, co-artists and fans echoed through the hallway.

 

Hyeri fell down on the floor, crying and banging her fist on the floor. Taemin spoke with a sharp tone. "Hyeri, tell her what Sungmin hyung wants to tell her." She answered, "I can't tell her about that one."

 

Taemin gripped on her shoulders. "Why are you so selfish?! Do you want him for yourself?! If you can't do it, then I will do it for hyung."

 

Hyeri slapped his hands away from her. “How can I tell her when she’s already dead?!” Taemin was taken aback with what she said. "What do you mean? You're lying!"

 

She looked straight to his eyes sternly. "She was the person who died just hours ago. She was driving her way to our house to meet Sungmin oppa, but what happened? She's the one who's driving the car that Sungmin crashed into. She’s dead."

 

Taemin walked out of the room, leaving Hyeri behind on her own. He felt numb. He could hear the people around him gathering and talking. He could hear the rumors and gossip again.

 

"I feel so sad about Sungmin's death, but thinking about her death makes me want to dance in happiness."

 

Taemin fell down on his knees and cried for the girl he and Sungmin loves. He covered his ears with his hands to block the talk of the people around him. He doesn't want to listen.

 

How could these people be so happy about your death, when here I am almost wanting to kill myself?

 

 

 

a/n: thank you for reading! please subscribe and leave a comment! i hope this one is not a disappointment since this is the first story i have ever written. here's something for my lovely readers! gif is not mine. credits to the owner.