07

Haunted

By the time Baekhyun came back, I was dressed and ready to go out to dinner with him. I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to eat in a dream though, as I've never really had a meal in a dream. Would I be able to taste the food? These were the least of my thoughts though, as something more captivating was drawing my attention. We were going out to dinner. In my so called dream world, I have never even stepped a foot off the porch with Baekhyun. 

My mother called me downstairs, notifying me that Baekhyun was downstairs. She was the second person, after Sehun, who had made an appearance in this dream. It was still a bit strange, but it would be something that I would have to get used to if my dreams were going to always be this way. 

As I made my way downstairs, Baekhyun was busy conversing with my mom. He made eye contact with me and flashed a smile that made me so weak in the knees that I almost fell down the stairs. He was dressed in a black button down that was rolled up a bit to acclimate to the spring weather. His hair wasn't its usual flat self, as it clearly had been pushed back, revealing his forehead.  

Our hands linked together as we bid goodbye to my mom. "No having in the car, okay?!" my mom exclaimed before we were out the door. Baekhyun's cheeks flushed a deep shade of red, as I rolled my eyes in annoyance. She was still the same lame mom in my dreams as she was in real life. 

"Your mom hasn't changed a bit," Baekhyun said as we walked over to his car. I hadn't really seen his car, since it was tucked away in his garage since it had no use after the incident. He opened the passenger door and let me inside. 

He walked around the car and got into the driver's seat and started the car. "I didn't think my mom would still be so lame in my dreams," I muttered. 

"What?" Baekhyun asked, as he pulled the car out and onto the road. 

"Nothing," I said, avoiding the topic. I could tell that this Baekhyun, for some reason, didn't enjoy it whenever I brought up the fact that I was dreaming. Maybe for him, this was his reality, and it bothered him whenever I spoke of the topic. But as lovely as these dreams could be, I had to at least keep one foot in reality. 

---

After dinner at an upscale restaurant, Baekhyun suggested that we take a stroll around the city. By then, I had gotten used to seeing other people in my dream. I didn't understand how so many strangers could appear in a dream, but I didn't want to further investigate into it, as I just wanted to enjoy the time I was having with Baekhyun. 

We spent most of the time window shopping and trying on things for our own amusement. After getting kicked out of a store for being too tumultuous, we couldn't stop laughing. Many people were looking at us, some with envy and some with joy, probably for the reason that we were the epitome of a young happy couple. 

Caught up in our own joy, we were crossing the street without even realizing it. From there, the world seemed as if it were in slow motion. I saw the same exact car that had hit Baekhyun three months ago, speeding straight towards us. My eyes widened as I jerked Baekhyun's arm back. 

I knew something was wrong. My dreams couldn't possibly have been so perfect. Especially since Baekhyun had escaped death last night, the dream gods wanted me dead too. Then again, living people don't actually die in dreams, but nonetheless, it's just as traumatic as dying would be in real life. 

The world seemed to speed up back to normal as Baekhyun turned around and looked at me with a confused expression written on his face. "What's wrong?" 

"Th-the car," I managed to stutter out as I looked back and forth between Baekhyun and the car that I swore was heading straight for us. If people weren't looking at us earlier, they were definitely staring now. We were standing still in the middle of a busy crosswalk, blocking people's way. Baekhyun noticed the car I was looking at and a sympathetic look came across his face. 

"The light's red," he said lacing his fingers with mine as we continued our way across the street. "This is a busy crosswalk anyway. A car wouldn't dare run over this many people." 

We continued our stroll through the city, except it wasn't as joyful as it was earlier. Words couldn't really come out of my mouth and it seemed as though my feet were becoming heavier with each step. Baekhyun seemed to notice my distress since he guided me over to the side of all the pedestrian traffic. 

He placed both hands on my shoulders and looked me deep in the eyes. "Are you okay?" I barely nodded my head, as a frown came upon his face. "This is about earlier isn't it?" I mournfully looked down to my shoes. He lifted my chin up and I was faced with his concerned eyes. "I'm here. It's okay," he said grabbing my hand and placing it on his chest. "You feel that, right? My heart's beating perfectly fine. I'm alive," he said keeping my hand on his chest. 

I wanted so badly to tell him that he wasn't alive. Tell him that, no, he wasn't here anymore. That it wasn't okay. That I wasn't okay. But the look he was giving me was digging so far into the depths of my heart, that I didn't have it in me to tell him. 

With a heavy sigh, I fell into his chest and embraced him in a tight hug. A sob escaped my lips as I felt his heart beat against my ear. He wrapped his arms around me tighter, as his head lay atop my own. "Let's go home, okay?" I nodded into his chest, as tears fell from my eyes. He pulled away from me and gently wiped the tears off of my cheeks with his thumb. He placed a light kiss on my forehead before grabbing my hand and leading us back to his car. 

---

After a silent car ride, we safely arrived back home. During the whole car ride, he never let go of my hand and at every stop light he turned to look at me to make sure I wasn't crying.  

He walked me to my door, but stopped as we reached the porch. He sat down on the top step and patted the space next to him. The scene was all too familiar, but I sat down anyway. I leaned my head on his shoulder and lightly massaged his hand. 

"We used to always do this," he said with a soft sigh. I didn't know if he was finally coming into realization that this was a dream, or if he was referring to the times before his death. After a long silence, he spoke again. "Thanks for spending my birthday with me." My eyes widened, as I realized the date. May 6th. How could I forget? More perplexing, was why I was having memory loss issues in my own dream. My thoughts were interrupted when he said, "The guys tried to throw me a surprise birthday party earlier, but Sehun accidentally told me on the way there, so I had to pretend to act surprised when I walked into the studio. I guess some of my acting was real just because it had been so long since I'd seen all of them, so I defiinitely had fun," he said with a light chuckle. "But I definitely had more fun with you tonight, even if you forgot that my birthday was today." 

I lifted my head from his shoulder and looked at him with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't know how it could have possibly slipped my mind..."

"Don't worry about it," he said lightly ruffling my hair. "It's been a while and you've obviously been through a lot." 

The guilt was completely eating away at me on the inside. I glanced at the watch on Baekhyun's arm. "You're birthday's not over yet," I said with a smirk on my face. He stared at me with a blank face for a moment, before the same smirk appeared on his face. He lifted me up bridal style, and quickly carried me up to my bedroom. 

 

 

asdfghjkl. Please don't expect in the next chapter because it's not happening. OTL haha as greasy as Baekhyun is, I just can't do it! 
Oh, and I totally did terrible on my SAT this morning. I woke up late and I was so unprepared. T__T The only thing I'm confident on was the math section and that's about it. ._. Oh well, next time I guess...
Anyways, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY EXO'S LOVELY BAEKHYUN <3 <3 <3
p.s. Am I the only one that thinks of "What is Love" whenever I hear "slow motion"? LOL