25

Haunted

I glared at him before turning on my heels to walk away, but his hand caught my wrist. A girl crying on the floor appeared in front of me as soon as Baekhyun got a hold of my wrist. It was almost as if his touch had triggered its appearance. There was a nurse trying to calm her down, but she was in hysterics. Her hair was draped over her face so, as usual, I wasn't able to see who she was. "Wait," he said desperately. By the sound of his voice, the girl and the nurse dematerialized. I unwillingly turned around and faced him again. "I'm sorry. Just do it for her," he said pointing to the door with his eyes. The guilt was eating me away on the inside and I really had no choice but to comply.

With a sigh, I nodded my head and said, "Okay, I'll do it." A gratified smile came upon his face as he dragged me back into the room by my wrist. When we walked into the room, our parents were inexplicably not inside. We were just outside the door. How could they have walked out without us noticing? I looked at the bed and Halmoni was no longer in it; Baekhyun was. 

I cautiously looked over at the Baekhyun beside me and he seemed to be perfectly fine. But then again, he probably wasn't seeing what I was. 

I glanced back over to the Baekhyun lying on the bed and beside him there was a girl holding his limp hand in hers. The whole scene seemed oddly familiar. "Next time you see them, make sure you see her face," Dr. Seo's voice echoed in my mind. My eyes traced up her arm to her face and as soon as I saw it, I felt my brain implode. It was me. The girl that I've been seeing with Baekhyun was me. 

What exactly was that supposed to mean then? Why was I seeing these hallucinations of us together? But then it hit me. These hallucinations were so much more than just hallucinations. They were my memories. 

I removed my wrist from Baekhyun's grasp and in a split second, the room seemed to morph back to its original state. Halmoni was back in the hospital bed and our parents were still inside the room. I felt the throbbing pain slowly start to reveal itself in my brain as I brought my hand up to my forehead. 

"Are you okay, dear?" my mom asked. 

"I-I uh, I have to go," I said, quickly walking out the door. 

As I walked out the hallway, the nurse and the girl I appeared on the floor again. I quickly walked past them, not wanting to see myself in such a morbid state.

I contemplated going to see Dr. Seo before completely leaving the hospital. She did say that I should see her when I figured out what she meant. I assumed that she predicted that I would find out these were my memories when I finally got to see the mysterious girl's face. But it was a lot to take in and I didn't even know what the point of seeing her would do. She would just confirm my theory and that would be it, right?

My drive home was probably the strangest thing that I've ever gone through in my life. And my life has definitely not been a normal one in the past few months. Walking on the sidewalk was none other than Baekhyun and I. But that wasn't the strange part. It was the fact that there were multiple versions of us everywhere, all existing at the same time. Every turn I made, I would see us walking along the sidewalk hand in hand, but in different outfits. 

I couldn't go home. Who knows what I would run into as soon as I took that first step inside? Heck, who knows what I would see on our street alone? Anxiety aded my mind and I quickly pulled over feeling the pulsing sensation in my head become too much to handle. I glanced at my purse, knowing that my medication could easily take away the pain, but I decided to try and ride the pain out. Taking my medication would probably stop these visions from appearing and although I was rather disturbed by them, I didn't exactly want them to vanish; at least not until I analyzed them a little more.

 I staggered out of my car, in desperate need of fresh air and took a few deep breaths. The pain began to subside, but it was evident to me that it probably wouldn't completely go away until I did take my medication. But I was much too curious about my apparent memories to risk not seeing them again, so I would just have to deal with the pain until my curiosity died down. 

As I found my bearings, I realized that I had inadvertently ended up at the park again. I glanced at the playground and noticed that the Halmoni-look-alike was still there with the two kids. Curiosity still burned inside me, wondering if they were real or not. The curiosity got the best of me, as my feet started towards the playground. 

To get to the playground, I first had to cross the wide area of grassy hills. Lying upon one of the mounds was Baekhyun and I staring up at the sky. He would point up at the sky and say something and I would laugh and playfully hit his arm. There was quite some space between the two of us, so I assumed that it was probably before we started dating. Walking past the hill, I came across us again. We were sitting on a picnic blanket feeding each other and even sharing a few kisses. I felt myself blush at our PDA and quickly walked past the couple. 

When I finally reached the playground, I returned to the bench that I had previously sat on. The girl and boy were still chasing each other around, both as happy as little kids could be. The girl fell down a few feet in front of me and I rushed over to help her up. As I tried to grab her arm to pull her up, my eyes widened when my hand went right through her. I took a few steps back and came into the realization that the two little kids were actually Baekhyun and I. I watched as Baekhyun kneeled down and asked if I was okay. I nodded even though there were tears streaming down my chubby little cheeks. "You shouldn't lie," he said. "Halmoni says that lying only leads to people getting hurt." Although he was probably only four, his words were hitting a little too close to home. Sehun calling me a liar echoed in my mind a few times before dissipating as Baekhyun pulled me into a hug.  The scene was definitely tugging at my heart strings. 

With a sigh, I realized that I should just brave going home. Standing up, I walked past the little versions of us, past our picnic date, and past our cloud gazing date. On the way home, the subtle pulsing in my head rapidly turned to throbbing. I glanced down at my purse, feeling tempted to stop it, but my head was throbbing for a reason; a reason that I wanted to see with my own eyes. 

As I drove down our street, I saw the very first hallucination I had ever seen. I remembered being so perturbed by the sight of Baekhyun moving on so quickly and being so public about it, when in all actuality, it was just me. I felt myself blush again, quickly looking away from the two. After parking the car in the driveway, I lingered outside a bit, staring at the numerous apparitions. Baekhyun and I were shouting at each other from our balconies. We were riding bikes around the neighborhood. We were walking to school together. We were making out in his driveway... 

I quickly looked away again and walked inside my house, feeling the throbbing in my head increase. In the living room, I was asleep on his shoulder and he was asleep on my head. On the other couch, I was clutched onto his arm as we watched a horror movie. I glanced over at the kitchen, hearing commotion, and saw the two of us flinging flour at each other as we attempted to bake something. In the dining room, there was a feast laid out on the table, with a cake in the middle with "Congrats, Grad," piped in the middle. Baekhyun and I both held the knife and cut the cake as the whole family cheered and threw confetti into the air. There would have been a smile on my face, but the pain in my head prevented me from being able to. 

Seeing everything I could downstairs, I made my way upstairs and the throbbing became excruciating. I dodged mini Baekhyun and I running through the halls as I made stumbled my way to my room. Sehun popped out of his room and I looked at him wondering if he was a hallucination too. 

"Are you okay?" he asked, grabbing onto my arm in an attempt to stabilize me. It felt pleasant finally being able to acknowledge someone as real and actually be able to touch them. But nonetheless, I couldn’t linger around with him.

"I'm fine, I just need to go to my room," I muttered, wobbling out of his grip and into my room. I quickly closed the door, not wanting him to follow me inside and find out that I was having another 'episode'. I would be taken to the hospital and I wouldn't be able to see what was waiting in my room. The throbbing in my head became more painful than ever, but I managed to stay standing to see what could possibly be making my head throb so much. 

My heightened curiosity seemed to die down, when I only noticed one pair of us on my bed. I expected to see so much more. Why else would my head have been hurting so much? I was treating Baekhyun's wounds as he held ice to his eyes. I quickly realized the situation as the night when I saw Yongguk cheating on me. Out of all of my memories, this was the one that I was most intrigued by.

I saw our mouths moving, but the throbbing in my head was preventing me from hearing anything they were saying. And on top of that, something was pulling me towards my balcony. With each step I took towards the door, the pain in my head seemed to multiply. I somehow managed to open the door. The hallucination of me on the balcony was no longer there. As a matter of fact, all of the hallucinations I had seen seemed to dematerialize. I looked behind me and noticed that my bed was empty. There were no more hallucinations, but my head was still throbbing away. 

I suddenly realized that it was nighttime outside, which was strange because just a few seconds ago, there was broad daylight pouring through the windows. A loud slam of a door interrupted my train of thought. I glanced down and saw Baekhyun storming out of my house with me right on his tail. I seemed to yell something at him, but he ignored me and kept his quick pace. My heart dropped as I saw a car turn the corner and speed towards Baekhyun, but he seemed too angry to notice anything at all. I wanted to yell out to him to get out of the way, but I knew it would do nothing because his fate was inevitable. And he was somehow able to survive…

I watched and watched as the car came closer and closer to Baekhyun. The throbbing pain in my head somehow stopped just as Baekhyun was struck by the car. I heard the sound of tires skid and a loud shriek, that came from not only the hallucination of myself, but the actual me as I felt the inside of my head burst immensely and the world around me quickly faded to black. Not another coma, I thought, just before the blackness swallowed me entirely. 

 

 

Please refrain from dying and/or having the desire to kill me when you read the next chapter. That is all.