24

Haunted

"Are you okay?" 

I sighed, not knowing how to explain my situation to Luhan. We were on break at the cafe and I noticed Baekhyun and the same girl sitting a few tables away. I didn't exactly understand what was going on. Was Baekhyun trying to get his revenge and make me jealous? Or was this image of the couple even real? I tried taking Sehun's input into consideration, but I didn't necessarily want to accept it. If the people who I was constantly seeing weren't who I thought they were, then who exactly were they? Either there's someone in town that looks exactly like Baekhyun or I've officially gone crazy and the people I'm seeing are actually hallucinations. I obviously very much prefer the former. 

"Do you see that table by the door?"

Luhan looked behind him and nodded his head. "Yeah, what about it?" 

"Are there people sitting in it?" I asked carefully, trying to test my assumptions.

He gave me a skeptical look and turned his head back to face me. "No, it's empty." I felt my insides twist in anguish. Maybe I finally lost my mind. I thought things were finally going okay after being in the hospital for so long, but obviously the repercussions were revealing themselves. "Why?" Luhan asked, with the same look on his face. 

"Um, nothing," I said standing up. "Can you tell Mrs. Lee that I had to leave work early today?" 

"Sure, but why? What's going on?" he asked, also standing up. 

"I need to go to the hospital."

---

It took much longer explaining why I was leaving work so abruptly to Luhan than I wanted it to. Mrs. Lee even came out to see what was going on and she said it was okay for me to leave, but Luhan pressed that he take me. It took a while to convince him to stay at work and let me go on my own. 

I knocked on Dr. Seo's open door and she looked up from her desk. A surprised look came across her face. "I thought I wouldn't be seeing you until next week. Is everything okay?" 

"Not really," I said sitting down in one of the chairs across from her desk. I had never been in her office before, considering that she always came to my room for our sessions, so I could never really distinguish much about her. Her office was exceptionally organized and everything seemed to be meticulously placed. It wasn't too surprising though. I always saw her as being a perfectionist. 

She placed the pen in her hand down and looked at me with concern in her face. "What happened?" 

I looked down to my lap where I fiddled around with my fingers. "I've been seeing things." 

"Things? Like what?" 

"It's not a 'what'. It's a 'who'..." I said, still feeling uneasy about telling her. I didn't want her to confirm my everlasting fears of being crazy. 

"Who is it?" 

"It's Baekhyun," I said quietly. 

"Well, I would presume you would see him often. He does live across the street from you. You're not getting those headaches again are you?" 

I bit my lip when I realized she got the wrong idea. "It's not the real Baekhyun I've been seeing. It's a hallucination of him," I finally said. Instead of feeling weight being lifted off my shoulders from finally telling someone, I felt as if more weight was being placed on them. Being insane was not a reality I wanted to face. 

It felt like hours before Dr. Seo finally replied. "Hallucinations? How are you so sure that it's a hallucination and not the real thing?" 

"I told my brother a little bit about it, but he had said that Baekhyun was with him at home that day and I had seen him out at a restaurant. And earlier today I saw him again and I asked Luhan about it, but he said that he didn't see anyone," I said finally looking up at her. After taking in what I had said, she reached into one of her drawers and pulled a file out. I assumed it was my own file and she took it out to add in that I had officially gone crazy. 

"Is he the only one you've been seeing?" she asked, looking up from the file. 

"No, he's with a girl every time," I said noticing that she was writing something in my file. "But for some reason I'm never able to see her face," I continued. 

She put her pen down and looked at me with an amused face. "Is that so?" she said bringing her hand under her chin. "Next time you see them, make sure you see her face." She stood up, walked around her desk, and sat in the chair directly next to me. She leaned in close and whispered, "Don't tell Dr. Kim, but don't take that medication anymore. At least not until I tell you to."

I furrowed my eyebrows at her. "Will that take away the hallucinations?" 

She shook her head. "No, but it might help you with something," she said, standing up and walking back to her desk. 

"Help me with what?" 

"I have a client to see, now. Please get home safely," she said, closing the file on her desk and placing it back into the cabinet. "Don't forget what I told you," she said with a small smile. 

I gawked at her and hesitantly walked out of her office. I though a therapist was supposed to explain everything to me, but Dr. Seo had clearly left me hanging. Even though I had my doubts, I decided it would be okay to listen to her. She wouldn't tell me anything that would put not only my life in jeopardy, but also her job. 

---

The next day, I did as I was told and didn't take my medication. I was a bit doubtful, but I was curious about what not taking my medication would help me with.

I didn't notice anything different happening at school and I was somewhat relieved, but the day was still far from over. On my way home, I decided to stop by at the park nearby our house. I didn't want to go home just yet and I wanted a place to just sit and think. 

I sat on a bench that was fairly close to the playground. There weren't any kids at the playground except a boy and a girl that were chasing each other around. The two looked so cute together. I looked around for their parents, but I only saw a grandmother. With closer observation, I noticed that it wasn't just any grandmother. It was Baekhyun's. 

What was she doing at a park with two little kids? If I remembered correctly, Baekhyun only had one older brother and no little siblings. Maybe the kids were his cousins... 

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was a text message from my mom. 'Baekhyun's grandmother is in the hospital. Please come by when you're out of school.' I frowned at the text message, hoping that she was okay. I was about to stand up and leave, but then I came into realization that the grandmother I was seeing in front of me wasn't the actual thing. Why was I having a hallucination of her though? I shook the thought off and stood up. Maybe it was just a look alike, I told myself as I left for the hospital. 

"What room is Mrs. Byun in?" I asked the lady at the front desk. 

"117," she replied after searching for it in her computer. 

I thanked her and made my way over to the room. It was a little disturbing to me that I knew exactly where the room was. I had evidently spent way too much time at the hospital.

On the way to there, I bumped into Dr. Seo. She looked shock to see me. "What are you doing here? Did something go wrong with not taking the medication?" she asked; her last question asked in a whisper. 

I shook my head. "I'm here for Baekhyun's grandmother," I assured her. 

"Have you seen anything lately?" I knew right away that she was talking about my hallucinations. I wanted to tell her about what I saw at the park earlier, but I remembered that I already regarded it as a mere coincidence. I shook my head once again. "Make sure you come and see me when you-" she stopped herself. "Well, I think when it happens, you'll know when to come and see me," she said with a sly smirk on her face. "Well, unitl then," she said with a small wave. I heavily sighed as I watched her walk off. She still wasn't telling me everything. 

When I walked into Halmoni's room, I expected my parents to already be in there, but when I walked into the room, it was just Baekhyun and his grandmother. She looked pale and extremely frail, but she somehow managed to have a smile on her face. Baekhyun stopped midsentence and turned to look at me when a look of shock came across his face. 

"I hope I wasn't interrupting anything," I said trying to alleviate the rising awkwardness in the room. 

"No, of course not," Halmoni said, smiling at me. "We were just talking about you actually."

"Halmoni..." Baekhyun said, probably trying to stop her from continuing, but she continued anyway. 

"It makes me so happy that you guys are still together after all you've been through." A huge lump grew in my throat as I eyed Baekhyun. He gave me an uneasy look as he shrugged his shoulders. "You two remind me so much of my husband and I. We were practically inseparable. Except now he isn't here anymore, but it seems as though I'll finally get to see him again," she said with a happy sigh. 

"Halmoni, don't talk like that. You're going to be fine," Baekhyun attested. I felt a warm tingle run through me from Baekhyun's close relationship with his grandmother. All of my grandparents passed away before I was even born, so I was never really able to have a relationship with them. It's the reason why I viewed Baekhyun's grandmother as if she was my own. 

"Just promise me you two will never stop loving each other," she insisted. Both of our parents walked in, saving us from the difficult situation we could have faced. After greeting them, Baekhyun stood up and dragged me outside by the arm. 

"Why didn't you tell her that we broke up?" I harshly whispered, once the door closed. 

"She's been sick lately... I didn't have the heart tell her!" he whispered back. He sighed as he rubbed his forehead. "Listen. If she does pass away, I want her to at least be happy. I wouldn't want to upset her with bad news in her last days of life... So I need you to pretend that we're still together. Besides, pretending shouldn't be too hard for you." 

 

 

Ohoho, Baekhyun's a feisty one. LOL. Anyways, can I just say how much I freaking love you commenters? Seriously, your comments on the last chapter made me explode with happiness. The longer ones were especially my favorites, but I appreciate every comment. c': lol anyways, I hope some of your supspicions were clarified with this chapter. ;]
p.s. I lost three subscribers over the weekend. >.> I'M WATCHING ALL OF YOU. lol jk, I don't know what I did to lose three subscribers, but oh well. These kinds of fics aren't everyone's cup of tea... Maybe it's because I'm not a /fluff writer e_e  Oh well I don't really mind that much because the rest of you are so amazing 
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*♥:・゚✧