17

Haunted

Dr. Seo walked in with another doctor following behind her.

"Who is this?" I asked defensively. I was a bit more than apprehensive about the new doctor. I was just so tired of being observed like I was some lab rat. I wanted more than anything to just go home. 

"This is Dr. Kim. He's a neurologist." Dr. Kim nodded his head with a smile. "We're going to give you an MRI scan. He's just going to take a look at your brain patterns okay?" Dr. Seo said. "Do you think you'll be able to walk over there?" 

I almost scoffed at her question. "Of course I'm able to walk. Why wouldn't I be?" I said slowly standing up onto the cold hospital floor. As soon as I was on my feet, I lost balance and fell back onto the bed. 

"You haven't walked for a month, remember?" I frowned down at my legs. They had become so weak after a mere month. "Should we get you a wheelchair?" 

"No," I said almost immediately. I was tired of the baby treatment I was getting and the last thing I wanted was to be pushed around. I stood back up and tried to find my balance. "I'm sure I'll get use to it." 

Dr. Seo raised her eyebrows and gave me a disapproving smile as . "Suit yourself." They started walking out the door as I took my first steps. I wobbled my way over to Dr. Seo and grabbed onto her arm for extra support. She shook her head with a chuckle as she slowed down to match my pace. "You sure you don't want a wheelchair?"

"Positive," I said trying to grow accustomed to my new noodle legs. 

I had never really walked around the hospital I was staying in. I had always been in that same room. It felt a bit strange walking around barefoot in a hospital gown, but I realized that this was nothing new to the staff. As we were walking, I heard loud screaming coming from inside a room we were passing by. "I DON'T WANT TO BE HERE! I'M NOT CRAZY. I'M REALLY NOT CRAZY!" There was a loud crash of things falling to the floor and I heard a doctor scold the patient. "You need to calm down or else we're going to have to put you out." There was another crash. "NO, DON'T DO IT!" the patient yelled out. Silence soon followed. 

"Interesting neighbors, huh?" Dr. Seo said. She seemed so calm about the whole scene happening on the other side of the wall. But I had to remember that she was a therapist and these were things she had to deal with day to day. I didn't really enjoy the fact that I was practically bumping elbows with the insane, but clearly something was wrong with my head and I had no choice but to deal with it. 

"We're here," Dr. Kim said turning into a room. We followed him in and there was a tunnel-like contraption in the room. He guided me over to the platform. "Just lie down here. The process is very simple and will only take a few minutes." I did as I was told and lied down on the platform. The platform started to slowly move into the tunnel. "Just stay still, relax, and try not to think too much." Once I was in the tunnel, there was a loud buzzing noise. After a minute or so the buzzing subsided. "Are you okay in there?" 

"Yup," I replied. 

"Okay, Dr. Seo is just going to ask you a few questions and then we'll observe your brain again," Dr. Kim said. 

Dr. Seo asked me very simple questions like when my birthday was, my age, and my house address. She asked where I went to school and if I'd had any jobs. She also asked to name everyone in my immediate family. I answered everything easily until her next set of questions. 

"Have you been in any relationships?" she asked. 

"I've been in one," I answered. 

"Just one?" 

"Yes, just one," I repeated. 

"What was his name?" 

"Yongguk," I said simply. 

"Does the name Baekhyun ring a bell?" 

As soon as the name was said, I felt a slight pain coming from my head. "No," I replied. "My mom told me some things about him, but I have no memory of him."

I heard Dr. Seo sigh. "Okay then. Just focus on the name and try to remember while we take another scan, alright?" 

I nodded to myself as the buzzing noise started again. I closed my eyes tight as the pain increased in my head. I wanted to know who this Baekhyun person was so bad. I remembered almost everything my mother had told me except there were holes where Baekhyun was supposed to be. Every memory I had of what my mother had told me was missing Baekhyun. The more and more I tried to remember, the more excruciating the pain was in my head. I felt tears escape the sides of my eyes as I faintly heard the doctors telling me to stop. I felt the platform move back outside, but I could tell I was quickly losing consciousness. I brought my hands to my head and let out a sob as I barely heard Dr. Kim telling me to try and calm down. Soon, I could only hear the pounding in my head as the world before me faded to complete blackness. 

---

My eyes opened and I was reunited with the room I had been staying in for the past month and a half. The pain in my head diminished, but I still didn't feel completely okay. I was worried that the whole episode would just further extend my stay in the hospital. 

"Hey, she's awake," I heard the nurse say. "You must really enjoy sleeping," she said with a chuckle. "Well, your mother did tell me that you slept a lot back at home."

I tilted my head at her. "What are you talking about? How long have I been out?" I asked slowly sitting up. 

She handed me a glass of water and said, "Well, you went into another coma. But it only lasted two days this time. Drink that whole glass while I go get the doctor, okay?" she said before leaving the room. 

I sighed before taking a large gulp of the water. What happened to me this time?

Only about five minutes later, my three doctors had walked into the room. "We have some good news and some bad news," said my usual doctor. 

"Good news is you can go home today," Dr. Kim said. I felt relieved after hearing the news. I had missed being home so much. I never enjoyed being in hospitals and being in one for almost two months definitely wasn't pleasant. 

"Bad news is you have to take medication everyday to prevent another episode from happening." Dr. Seo said. "And you have to have a session with me at least once a month." The bad news wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Medication would be annoying to keep up with, but if it would prevent me from ever feeling that pain again, I didn't mind. And seeing Dr. Seo once a month wasn't that bad at all. She wasn't as annoying as I thought a therapist would be and she seemed to understand everything I would tell her even if it didn't make sense. But I guess that's what therapists were supposed to do. 

"One last thing. Please don't try and strain yourself with remembering things you can't, okay?" Dr. Kim said. 

 

 

 

Finals are finally over! School has been so stressful, but at least tomorrow's the last day of school. c: and omg you guys. I did so bad on the SAT... T_T I guess that's what I get for not studying x]