11

Haunted

Sehun and Luhan left the room and a moment later Baekhyun lifelessly walked in. I hadn't noticed how dejected he had been until now. His eyes were red and puffy and he had clearly been crying. Baekhyun was normally a cheery person and it always concerned me when he wasn't. 

He closed the door behind him, but he stayed right by the door as he looked down to the floor. "Baekhyun," I said gently. His head slowly lifted up and my heart broke when I saw his face under more lighting. He looked like he hadn't slept in weeks, although it had only been a couple of days. I patted the space next to me on my bed. He apprehensively walked over and slowly sat down beside me. His back was facing me and his head still hung low. "I'm sorry," I said softly. His head lifted up again as he turned to look at me. "My current condition isn't your fault. We could really place the whole blame on your parents, but there's really no point. What's done is done. We can't change the past," I said lying back down. Soon after, Baekhyun's head fell right beside my own. I my side to look at him and he did the same. 

I gently cupped his face with my cheek. For the past three months, I thought the man before me was dead. Being able to see and touch him again was something I missed profoundly. There was so much I wanted to tell him, but the fact that he was in front of me took my breath away. 

I nuzzled my face into his chest and he slowly wrapped his arms around me. I felt more tears welling up in my eyes as I embraced him. The realization of Baekhyun being alive was hitting me so much harder than I thought it would have. My therapist told me this would happen and I didn't really believe her at the time, but obviously I proved myself wrong. 

"Don't cry," Baekhyun quietly said. "I'm here and I'm not going anywhere." His words made me feel a bit at ease, but something at the back of my mind was preventing me from feeling okay. Baekhyun softly started to sing the song he used to sing me every night. I felt my eyes become heavy and my mind slowly fade into darkness. 

---

"Where have you been?" a dark voice asked. It was pitch black and I couldn't see a thing. "Just because he's back doesn't mean you can just leave me behind." 

"Who are you?" I asked. My voice seemed to echo for miles. 

"You forgot about me already?" I nearly jumped as I felt the breath of the person on my ear. 

Suddenly, the blackness disappeared and there was only whiteness. I squinted my eyes as I tried to adjust to the light. I saw a figure in front me dressed in completely white. When my eyes finally adjusted, I realized that the figure was, in fact, Baekhyun. 

We were in a white space. There was nothing anywhere around us. Anywhere I looked was just complete white and blankness. It was just the two of us in an empty world. 

"You can't just leave me here by myself."

"Where is this?" I asked, still looking around at the emptiness. 

"This is your subconscious mind. It used to actually have things in it, remember? I don't know what those doctors did to you, but clearly they did something to try and cleanse your mind. But it appears as though they missed one thing." 

"So this is a dream?" 

Baekhyun gave me an incredulous look. "Are you serious? Of course this is a dream. I swear after hours of that therapy you would think that you could finally decipher what's real and what's not, but you still can't tell when you're dreaming." 

I narrowed my eyes at him. "I don't remember you being so hostile before." 

"Yeah, well have you seen what you've done to me lately?! I was a zombie in your last dream. What the hell? Then you just ditch me in this place for the past few days. You can't just use me for three months then toss me to the side when your real boyfriend steps in the picture." 

"Why not? I can do whatever I want with you. You're just a figment of my imagination." 

"Yes, you theoretically created me. But it wasn't really you who created me, it was your mind. You can't really control your subconscious mind therefore you can't just destroy me so easily. You gave me feelings and a running mind. I'm different from other things you've imagined before. I can function without you." 

I was so confused. Did this mean that something was living in my mind? How was this even possible? 

"The mind is an extremely complex thing. No one can ever completely understand it. Although I probably have a better grasp on the mind than others considered I was created in one." 

"So what do you want from me?" 

"It's simple really. You just have to leave that real Baekhyun in the outside world." 

My eyes widened. "WHAT? Why on earth would I do that?" 

"Because it's rude to mess with people's emotions," he said with a fake pout.

"If it's wrong so mess with people's emotions, why would I mess with the real Baekhyun's?" 

He contemplated the thought for a minute but then he shook it off. "You have a point, but he doesn't matter." 

"Doesn't matter? You've known me for three months. He's known me for his entire life.  What makes you so much better than him?" 

"What does it matter? I can do things to you that you can't even fathom."

"What are you talking about?" 

"If you don't leave him, the next time you go to sleep, you won't wake up." 

 

 

 

._.