Meeting Mrs. Ok

Blessing From Above [하늘에서 내려온 축복]

18 years ago…

Vincent hurriedly picked Ian off the ground and ran to the car. He was panicked and scared, Ian’s condition didn’t look so good. He got blood all over his face; his arms and legs were dangling uselessly.

“It’s all my fault, I shouldn’t take you here” Vincent cried, “Little master, please be okay”

Ian was taken to his parents’ hospital, and many doctors immediately surrounded him. Mr. and Mrs. Ok heard the news and ran down to the emergency room right away to see their son. Ian looked lifeless.

“My God, my son” Mrs. Ok cried in front of the closed emergency room’s door. “Please God, let him be okay” she clasped her cold hands and tried to pray. The red light that indicated the surgery was still in process went on for hours. Mrs. Ok stared and hoped.

“He will be okay!!” she said to herself, “My little boy will be okay”

Mr. Ok and a crew of doctors walked out the door after four hours long inside the emergency room. Mrs. Ok rose up from her seat immediately just to saw that her son was rushing to somewhere else by the nurses.

“How is our son? Where are they taking him?” Mrs. Ok asked her husband, worried.

“The surgery went smoothly, but we discovered blood clots inside his brain” said Mr. Ok, “We’re now transferring him to the Neurology department”

“What’s the worst that could happen?” Mrs. Ok asked, while sobbing uncontrollably.

“Any surgery, especially brain surgery, is dangerous. Anything could happen. We will try our best honey, I will bring our son back to us.” Mr. Ok gave his wife a hug.

“You have to save him, you have to save our son…” she cried

The day went by slowly as Mrs. Ok waited and waited for news from her husband. Her cold hands still clasped together firmly and prayed. It was the only thing she could do, clinging to hope. Passed midnight and the red light were still on. She fell asleep on the waiting chair.

The red light went off and Mr. Ok walked out, to find his wife tired asleep.

“Honey, honey! Our son makes it!! Our son is safe!!” said Mr. Ok

Mrs. Ok opened her eyes and again, she rose up immediately to check on her son. The door opened and Ian was seen laying on the gurney, with four nurses trying to him to intensive care unit. His hair was all shaved for the surgery.

“Ian, I’m so glad you’re okay. Thanks God” cried Mrs. Ok

“We need to monitor him closely to make sure his brain functions are working well; but honey, I got to tell you this…He has a high chance of having traumatic amnesia” said Mr. Ok

“Meaning…?”

“Meaning he might suffer from memory loss”

“So he won’t remember me?”

"Don’t worry. In majority of the cases, it’s just temporary. We will find out if he remembers us or not when he wakes up”

“Right, what’s matter now is that he’s safe”

At the corner of the hallway, a man stood there alone, wiping his tears away from his eyes. The man was Vincent. He couldn’t show himself up because he was too ashamed to face Mrs. Ok.

The next few days were full with anticipation as they waited for Ian to wake up. Finally, Ian’s little finger moved and the doctor rushed to his room right away. They shone the lights in his eyes and asked him some simple questions.

“What’s your name?” asked the doctor.

“…Ok Taecyeon…” Ian slowly answered.

“How old are you?”

“…I’m 8 years old”

“Do you know why you’re here?”

“…I don’t know…” and then he hugged his head.

“Do you remember me?” his mom asked

“You’re…mom” said Ian

“Thank you Lord!!” Mrs. Ok cried.

“Mom, why I’m here?” asked Ian, clueless.

“Son, you don’t remember anything?”

“I don’t” then he paused to think for a while. “I can’t remember anything. My head is hurt” said Ian

“Don’t push him, Mrs. Ok” said the doctor, “Since he still remember you, and possibly everyone else that he had seen often since birth, I think it’s best for him to just live with a new memory. You wouldn’t want him to remember the incident, would you? Moreover, thinking too much might give him really bad headache.”

“Mom, what happened to me?” Ian asked once again.

“You’re fine son, you just got some bad viruses in you and it caused you to have a high fever” Mrs. Ok lied. She talked to the doctor some more then went outside to get Ian some food. She spotted Vincent standing by the door, waiting for her. He gave her a resignation letter, due to he felt guilty.

“Actually, you don’t have to” said Mrs. Ok

“Sorry Mrs. Ok, but please let me do it. I’m ashamed of what had happened.” Vincent said with his head down.

“I can’t tell you that I’m not mad, but certainly it wasn’t your fault.”

“It was my fault to bring him there by myself without your approval. If I didn’t bring him there, the accident wouldn’t have happened.”

“Then…I’m not forcing you to stay. Thank you for the past 8 years being our family driver.”

“May I go in and see Ian for the last time?” asked Vincent

“Yes, but please don’t mention anything from the past to him.” Mrs. Ok told Vincent, “His little mind won’t be able to take it. It’s too much. So, promise me.”

“I won’t, Mrs. Ok. I won’t mention anything to him” Vincent promised. He walked into the room and Ian’s eyes lit up as soon as he saw Vincent.

“Vincent!!” Ian yelled.

“Hi Ian, how are you?” asked Vincent

“I’m fine, thank you.”

“Ian, I won’t be able to see you anymore in the future”

“Why?”

“I have to go back to my hometown to take care of my mother. She sent me a letter and she said she misses me, so I’ll have to go back”

“Will you come back and see me?”

“Yes, maybe in the future we will get to meet again” Vincent then gave Ian a hug.

“I have to go now” said Vincent

“I will miss you” said Ian

“Me too. I hope you stay healthy, and will grow up to be a good man. Don’t forget me.” Vincent said as he walked out the door.

“And I hope you won’t forget that little girl, Ian.” Vincent murmured to himself.

Vincent got out of the hospital and went on a cab. 45 minutes later he found himself in front of the orphanage, curious about the little girl’s condition.

“Hello, you are…?” Yoona’s nanny asked.

“Oh I’m Mrs. Ok’s driver. I’m here to ask for the little girl’s condition. How is she?”

“She is in a stable condition now. Thanks God she wasn’t badly injured. But Mrs. Ok’s son, Ian…I heard that his condition was bad, how is he now? We’re planning to visit him.” said the nanny

“Sorry, I don’t know about his condition because I’m no longer work for the Ok family.” said Vincent. He didn’t tell them because he was afraid that their visit could make Ian remember the past.

“I’ll have to leave now. I’m glad the little girl is fine. “

“Thanks for your concern, our little Yoona is doing better. I just hope that Mrs. Ok’s son is also doing fine.”

 

---

“Taecyeon, you’re awake? Taecyeon!”

Taecyeon heard a voice calling his name as he slowly opened his eyes.

“Son, are you all right? You scared me to death!!” Mrs. Ok said to Taecyeon.

“Mom?”

“Can you remember anything?” Mrs. Ok asked

Taecyeon looked around, he saw the familiar scenes. He was in this VIP room at the hospital exactly 18 years ago.

“I’m in hospital?...hospital?...right, RIGHT. The accident. The girl. Yoona. Where is the girl? THE GIRL!!” Taecyeon yelled in panic.

“What girl? What are you talking about?” asked Mrs. Ok, confused.

“I think he’s talking about the girl got admitted together with him on that night.” said the nurse

“Yes, her. Where is she now? Is she okay?”

“She’s in room 530 on floor 5. She’s doing okay so you don’t have to worry.” said the nurse

“I’m going to see her.” Taecyeon said as he pulled out all the cords that hooked to his arms.

Taecyeon ran as fast as he could to the elevator and got down to floor 5. He found Yoona’s room and opened the door. He yelled out her name.

“Yoona!!”

“Shhh! Be quiet! She just fell asleep!” said Taeyeon

“Appa!!” Yoorim happily ran to Taecyeon, “Appa, I miss you!”

“I miss you too, Yoorim, I’m sorry I couldn’t buy ice-cream for you”

“Yoorim is just fine without eating ice-cream!”

“Taeyeon noona, how is Yoona now?”

“She just woke up a while ago. The doctor checked on her and said her condition is good. She will need to stay a few days in the hospital to be watch though.” said Taeyeon

“What a relief!” Taecyeon let out a deep breath. 

 

---

Taecyeon and Yoona stayed in the hospital for the week. Even though they were in the same hospital, but they had different schedules for check up so they never really did get to meet each other. One night Taecyeon decided to go and see Yoona in her room and he found out she was eating a cup of instant noodles.

“Yoona, what are you doing? Eating instant noodles is not good for you. You’re still sick!” said Taecyeon

“But the food in the hospital are too bland!!” Yoona complained, “I couldn’t eat at all”

“Just that? Then come with me~” said Taecyeon as he grabbed her hand.

“Wait, where are we going? It’s late at night!” said Yoona

“We’re going to the hospital’s food court!” he smiled, “I’ll cook some food for you~”

Taecyeon led Yoona to the food court and cooked her some soup with rice. Yoona watched as Taecyeon brought out the soup and placed it on the table.

“Thank you for the food” said Yoona with a smile on her face.

“Let’s eat!” said Taecyeon

Yoona picked up the spoon and tried the soup. After a week of tasting hospital food, real food never tasted so good.

“Yoona, can I ask you a question?” Taecyeon asked

“Yea~”

“Why did you run out and saved me?”

Yoona couldn’t answer him.

“I heard you call his name…But I’m not him. Did you save me just because you thought I’m that friend?”

“It’s not that. I don’t know why I ran out but I guess since you’re my friend and you saved me before from the pool, it was the right thing for me do to.”

“Anyway, thank you. “

Yoona quickly finished her food since the atmosphere became awkward. Taecyeon walked Yoona back to her room and then he went back to his room. Yoona lay on the hospital bed and was in deep thinking. She thought of all the similarities between Ian and Taecyeon, and she realized there were too many similarities between them.

“Even the scar on his hand!” said Yoona

She picked up her phone and dialed Taeyeon’s number.

“Unnie! Are you asleep?” asked Yoona

“..Yea~ sleep…ing…why?” said the half awake Taeyeon

“Can you send me the picture of Ian to my phone? Take a picture of it and send it to my phone please” Yoona requested

“Okay. Where did you put the picture?” asked Taeyeon

“I had it framed inside my bedroom” said Yoona

“Then wait a minute”

“Thanks unnie.”

About a minute later Yoona received the picture from Taeyeon. She stared at it for a while and murmured to herself.

“Big ears…dimples…they’re quite alike…”

Then Yoona decided to make a trip to Taecyeon room, to compare him to the Ian’s picture she has. She found the hospital map and went to the VIP area. She found the room with his name on it.

“The lights are off…he’s probably asleep. That’s all good.” Yoona said to herself

She tiptoed to his bed. As she walked near the bed, she tripped over a chair and ended up lying across his body. She frowned as Taecyeon opened his eyes.

“Yoona, what are you doing here?”

“Oh sorry. I was just wanting to say thank you for the food” Yoona gave out her excuse

“You already said that” said Taecyeon

“Oh really? Then just see this as another thanks from me” Yoona laughed it off. Suddenly, they heard footsteps coming near.

“Did you hear that?” Yoona asked

“Hear what?” Taecyeon asked back

“The footsteps…”

The footsteps got louder.

“I think someone is coming. What to do??” Yoona panicked

“Don’t worry, maybe some nurses going to check on me” said Taecyeon

“Then I have to hide!!”

“Why do you have to hide?”

“They will misunderstand me if they see me in your room in the middle of the night!”

“Oops, I think it’s my mom. I remember she told me this morning that she will bring me some gingseng tea tonight”

“That’s even worst!! Where should I go now??” asked Yoona

“To the bathroom, to the bathroom!” said Taecyeon

Yoona ran inside the bathroom just in time when Mrs. Ok stepped inside the room.

“Son, you’re still awake? I was about to drop this tea off then go home, but since you’re awake, drink some!” said Mrs. Ok, and she handed him the tea. 

“Thanks mom”

“Be careful, it’s hot!” said Mrs. Ok, “I’ll get you some tissues” she then headed toward the bathroom.

“Mom!!” Taecyeon yelled out, “I’m good, I don’t need the tissues”

“Then I need to wash my hands”

“Mom!! Don’t go to the bathroom!!”

“Why? What’s in there?” asked the confused Mrs. Ok

“Just…don’t go in. You can go home, mom.” said Taecyeon, but Mrs. Ok got more curious.

“I’ll have to see what’s inside” said Mrs. Ok.

She turned the handle and opened the door. Yoona was standing there, with both hands covered her face. Taecyeon also covered his eyes while waiting for his mom’s reactions.

“Miss, who are you, and why are you here?” Mrs. Ok asked

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, please don’t misunderstand!” Yoona kept on bowing.

 “Then can you explain why you’re here at my son’s room…and inside the bathroom?”

“I was just…” Yoona then looked up at Mrs. Ok.....to find out Mrs. Ok was no other than Ian’s mom, the kind lady that she couldn’t remember the name.

“You…you are…” Yoona covered in shock

“Do you know me?” Mrs. Ok asked

“You’re…Ian’s mom!” Yoona cried. 

 

 

==========

 

wow i didn't update for 10 days, and i truly feel bad. school and other stuffs are taking all my time ><