Promise

My Long Lost Memories

 

L.Joe had been able to make his way back to his bed without waking up the finally peacefully sleeping Chunji. The smile Chunji had brought

to his face when he went to sleep was still there when he woke up. He was afraid that any sudden movements would wake Chunji up, so he

turned over in slow motion so he could keep an eye on the boy. Just in case, you know.

 

The bright sun was irritating Chunji’s eyes. The curtains had not been put to use. Why was he hugging himself? It wasn’t cold at all. He felt as

if he was being watched and opened his eyes slightly. Though his vision was quite blurry he could easily tell that L.Joe was staring at him.

And he was smiling too.Taken aback by the fact that L.Joe had been watching him sleeping; Chunji felt very embarrassed.

He pulled his blanket over his head – As if he was trying to escape the sun while still sleeping.

 

*Since when did he start to act like that? He is just too weird!*

Chunji heard the creaking of the springs in L.Joe’s bed and shortly after that, footsteps too.

 

’’Don’t hide from me, I know you’re awake Chunji!’’ L.Joe said in a sing-song voice.

’’tfn donf act weirft!!!’’ Chunji mumbled.

’’Huh? You’re not making any sense at all’’ L.Joe said quickly grabbing the blanket covering Chunji and pulling it off.

 

A very angry looking Chunji was revealed and L.Joe was wise enough to back away.

 

’’I SAID: THEN DON’T ACT WEIRD!’’ Chunji’s voice echoed through the room, coming off a bit too harsh.

L.Joe sat down on the floor looking like a small child who just got scolded. And Chunji immediately regretted yelling that loud.

 

’’Did I really upset you that much?’’ L.Joe said keeping his head down.

’’I shouldn’t have yelled, ok? But… Why do you have to stare at me while I sleep!’’ Chunji whined nudging L.Joe with his foot.

 

After lying beside you in your bed last night and hugging you, I was just making sure that you were sleeping peacefully and not having

another psycho nightmare – that is what he wanted so say, but instead he went with:

’’You had a terrible nightmare and I was just making sure that you weren’t having another nightmare’’ L.Joe said in a small

and careful voice.

 

’’A nightmare you say? How would you know?’’ Chunji said skeptically.

’’I woke up because of the commotion you were making but I managed to make you calm down by hu- hitting you…’’

L.Joe said hoping Chunji didn’t notice stuttering.

’’I don’t see why hitting me would calm me down!’’ Chunji said jokingly.

’’I guess that proves your weirdness, right? By the way do you remember having any strange dreams last night?’’

L.Joe said suddenly returning to the ‘nightmare topic.’

 

’’I don’t remember anything about a nightmare last night, but lately I have been having these dreams about drowning.’’

Chunji said making a displeased face.

 

L.Joe stayed quiet and widened his eyes.

 

’’L.Joe Are you ok? Did you just see a ghost or something?’’ Chunji said not realizing the changing mood within the room.

Chunji left his comfortable bed and sat down in front of L.Joe. He shook him lightly for a few seconds before it became more and more violent.

 

’’Hey! Moron! Where did your brain go!?’’ Chunji said in a raised voice. 

 

It seemed like L.Joe’s brain had found its’ way home, he was able to move now. L.Joe kept shaking his head as if he was denying something. He then squeezed his eyes together and covered his face with his shaking hands.

 

’’You seriously don’t look too good…’’ Chunji said with worry present in his voice.

 

L.Joe was still in the same position, only now he was also breathing heavily. Chunji noticed small droplets on the floor and took a closer look and L.Joe’s face.

 

*What the? Is he actually crying? I really don’t get what has gotten into this guy*

 

Chunji felt that he was trapped in an awkward situation and really wanted to leave. Of course he couldn’t do that, what kind of friend would he be? Instead he scooted closer to L.Joe; now leaning slightly against L.Joe’s right shoulder. Chunji lifted his right arm and placed his hand on top of the crying boy’s head. He carefully began to his hair while he also hummed sweetly.

 

L.Joe sobbed a bit before his breathing evened out.

 

’’Do you want to talk about it?’’ Chunji said uncertain if it was inappropriate to ask right now.

 

L.Joe took a deep shaky breath and finally said something:

’’I used to know someone who almost drowned’’ L.Joe said removing his hands from his face.

 

Chunji peaked at L.Joe’s face and it kinda broke his heart to see him look like that.

’’I’m sorry to hear that. I shouldn’t have asked.’’ Chunji said feeling guilty.

’’It’s okay…I should be apologizing for acting like this. It’s just really hard to ignore so many suppressed feeling, I

guess.’’ L.Joe said still looking down at the floor.

 

Chunji was at loss for words and decided to keep quiet.

 

’’I’ll tell you the rest of the story another time. But right now I have to determine whether I have found my old friend or

not. I think you’ll be able to help me Chunji.’’ L.Joe said looking at Chunji with a mischievous grin.

’’Don’t be too shy to ask for my help, that’s what friends are for, right?’’ Chunji said in a cheerful manner trying to cheer

L.Joe up.

’’Promise?’’ L.Joe said looking at Chunji excitedly

’’I promise!’’ Chunji said happily.

 

They sat together for a while in total silence, until one of the boys spoke up.

 

’’Why are you my hair?’’ L.Joe asked finally realizing what had created a very comforting feeling.

’’You are very similar to a cute puppy. I like puppies.’’ Chunji answered not realizing what he had said.

L.Joe’s heart started to beat faster and his face had surpassed the redness of a tomato. 

 

Chunji didn’t stop L.Joe’s hair, he didn’t seem to mind it at all.

 

 

 

~     ~     ~     ~     ~