He Knows!

Melody's Kiss

Linda Chung Ka Yan

Joon’s POV

The receptionist immediately grabbed the phone and called the ambulance. She reported the situation while I took a seat to regain my energy. Seriously, my second day at this building and I’ve experienced a death case.

Moments later the ambulance, police and reporters arrived. Wait, what? Reporters! I quickly ran to the bathroom to hide myself. They would recognise me for sure! I walked over to wash my face and didn’t realise that I still had a face mask on. Now it was all wet…

The image of the dead body still lingered on my mind. Hold on... Didn’t Aclaire live on the 8th floor...? And it looked like it was her apartment too. Everything started to make sense now… Aclaire dropped her key when she ran to work, so she couldn’t get inside. I clicked my fingers. That’s why she was on the ground. That idiot, she could’ve just asked reception to give her a spare key. I blow dried the face mask and raced out to tell the police and ambulance it was a misunderstanding. Surely the reporters wouldn’t recognise me with a new haircut and a face mask, right…?

I arrived at the reception and saw that the ambulance had already wheeled Aclaire into the van and left. I cursed and attempted to chase after them. They were too fast and I ended up losing track of it.

Aclaire’s POV

Was I dreaming? It felt as if I was moving in some sort of vehicle. Am I getting kidnapped? I didn’t dare open my eyes in case they realised I was awake.

“She’s still breathing!” I heard a voice say. Of course I was still breathing! I was alarmed. Was this some kind of murder…? Horrified I tried to stay calm but my heart obviously couldn’t and started beating rapidly.

“Her heart rates increasing,” I heard another voice say.

Ok. I didn’t want to imagine what they were going to do so I shot up and started screaming for help.

Nurses grabbed my arms and pinned me down. I struggled to break free from their grasps. A needle was suddenly injected and the next thing I knew my body had become restless and I was asleep.

Joon’s POV

What should I do? I repeatedly asked myself for the last half an hour. I arrived at the hospital and asked the reception where they wheeled Aclaire to. “Excuse me, just a moment ago, a girl was wheeled in. Do you know which room they took her to?”

The receptionist gave me a blank look. “She was found outside her apartment,” I tried to explain.

“Oh. She was wheeled to the emergency room just upstairs. It’s on the left,” the receptionist informed.

I thanked her and ran towards the emergency room. Surely they would’ve noticed that she was still alive right? I reached the emergency room and started pacing along the hallway. It was my fault! If only I had walked up to see who it was instead of getting scared.

A doctor and some nurses came out of the emergency room looking annoyed. I quickly ran up to the doctor.

“How is the patient?” I asked.

He let out a sigh, “She’s perfectly healthy. It seems she was only asleep. She’s inside if you want to see her,”

I raced into the room and as the doctor walked past me, I heard him mutter under his breath, “What a waste of my time,”

I didn’t take it to account as I was eager to see if it really was Aclaire. I opened the door and rushed inside.

Aclaire’s POV

I wondered around the emergency room. How on earth did I get here? I only remembered losing my keys and then being kidnapped or something. I stood up to walk out when the door suddenly burst open. The light in the background was too bright. I could hardly see the face of the guy. He walked closer.  He was breathing pretty heavily; it was as if he’d just run a marathon.

“Aclaire, it’s you isn’t it?” He asked. I immediately recognised his voice, it was Joon.

“Joon?” I tried to adjust my eyes so I could see.

He rushed in front of me and grabbed my shoulders, “Oh my god. Aclaire I’m so sorry!” and rested his head on my shoulders.

It was so sudden I staggered back a little. Joon noticed and immediately let go.

“Why are you sorry?” I managed to say after a few seconds of silence. 

He hesitated to answer and reached inside his pocket for something, “I have your keys,” he said.

“Oh my god! Thank you! I thought I lost these for real!” I exclaimed while he handed me my keys. I gave a sigh of relief.

“You’re not angry..?” Joon asked.

“Angry? Why would I be? You found this right, why should I be angry at you?” I told him.

He looked reassured.

Joon’s POV

I told Aclaire about what happened when I saw her lying on the floor. Instead of yelling at me like most people would, she just laughed.

“That’s so funny! So you actually thought I was this dead body! That explains why I was in the van. And that face mask of yours is so people wouldn’t recognise you right,” she said and burst out laughing.

I watched her and somehow I ended up laughing with her. We walked out of the hospital. We talked a bit and I offered to her to her apartment. We arrived at the door and she said thanks.

“It’s getting late, you should get back too,” she said.

“Ok. Let’s walk to school tomorrow, cousin,” I said with a smirk.

Aclaire laughed, “Let’s,” she said, “Well good night,” and she shut her door.

I stared at the blank door for a couple of seconds and then walked back downstairs to my apartment.

~~~

 I arrived at the bottom of my apartment waiting for Aclaire to come out. After a long ten minutes she finally arrived.

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” she apologised.

“It’s ok, I didn’t wait long,” I replied.

We arrived at school and gained stares from everyone. Was it really weird to see us walking together? Aclaire’s friend, Hyosung then came up to greet us.

“Hey!” She said and linked arms with Aclaire.

“Hey,” Aclaired said and smiled.

Aclaire’s POV

Mrs. Park came in and did the normal routine, roll, notices etc.

“Class, the Sports Carnival is nearing. As a matter of fact it’s next Wednesday,” Mrs. Park announced and gained cheers from most of the boys in my class. “Like last year, we will be competing against our year level and once again our rivals are the seniors next door. I want everyone to participate this year and avenge our lost. Got that?”

The class roared and cheered. I was pretty pumped. Although our class lost last year I wasn’t going to be disheartened. This year is going to be our year! I looked behind me and noticed Joon’s head on the desk. He was sleeping... figures. My eyes scanned next to him, I blushed. Jonghyun looked my way and I instantly turned back to the front. After such an embarrassment yesterday, even the slightest look will turn me red.

~~~

I had Math in third lesson with Hyosung, Vanessa and Michelle. We took our seats and waited for our teacher, Mr. Lee to arrive. He came in and suddenly said he would give us assigned seats! My friends and I look at each other in horror. Assigned seats? What was this? We weren’t in Primary School anymore!

“It’s just more convenient, this is your last year here so I want you to perform your best without any distractions from your friends,” Mr. Lee explained.

The class groaned.

“Your designated partner will be picked randomly by yours truly. Let’s start.” Mr. Lee said and started pairing people up.  He reached my name.

“Aclaire and…” he started when suddenly the classroom door burst open. I turned around to see who it was.

“Sorry I’m late. I’m Lee Jin, I accidentally entered the wrong class,” Joon explained.

Mr. Lee raised an eyebrow. “You came just in time, Aclaire and Jin from today onwards you guys will be sitting together behind Jonghyun and Chris,”

What? I mean I didn’t mind being partnered with Joon, it’s just we were seated behind Jonghyun... Joon came up to be and gave me a confused look.

“He’s giving us designated seats so we can work harder,” I told him. He nodded his head understandingly and Mr. Lee continued to call out his chosen partners.

Hyosung was partnered up with some guy called Kikwang and Vanessa was lucky as. She was paired up with Michelle. Mr. Lee started the lesson and I couldn’t help but stare at the back of Jonghyun’s head instead of listening to him.

Joon’s POV

I hated Mathematics. I mean I was alright at everything else but Math just wasn’t my thing. Everything that Mr. Lee said just went in one ear and out the other. I didn’t get it. After he finished explaining he handed us a few sheets with some exercises. We were to do them in class and finish it off for homework. I stared at it and didn’t understand a thing.

“Aclaire, I don’t get it. How do I do this?” I asked her. No response.

“Aclaire…?” Still no response. She was focused on something else. I looked at her and her eyes were attached to the guy sitting in front of us which I believed happened to be Jonghyun. I waved my hands frantically in front her face and she finally snapped out of it.

“Huh? What? Did you say something?” She asked.

I laughed. Could it be that she liked Jonghyun? I wanted to test it out. “I know your secret,” I said teasingly.

She looked shocked, “What secret...?”

I got my pencil out and started writing on the given exercise sheets: you like Kim Jonghyun :)

She flushed pink. “So I was right,” I said.

Her face changed colours, it was now completely red. “Please don’t tell anyone,” she whispered with her head hung low.

“Your secrets safe with me,” I said and gave a small wink. Mr. Lee started to walk around the classroom and I quickly pretended to work.

Aclaire’s POV

Joon noticed! Worse, he knows! Was it that obvious? Does that mean other people could tell too? I could feel my face heating up and was sure that it was as red as a tomato. Hopefully he’ll keep it to himself.

“psst,” I heard Joon whispering to me.

“Hm..?” I answered.

“What me to help you?” He asked.

“With what, this?” I said pointing to our hand outs.

“No! Him,” he said and directed his eyes at Jonghyun.

“What? No,” I replied.

“I know you really want to...” he teased.

Well... I did want to apologise for that accident. Who knows? We might start becoming good friends. Mr. Lee came to our desk and we both put our heads down and started scribbling answers. After he walked pass us I whispered to Joon, “Fine, what’s your plan...?”

******

Yay! Chapter 7 is up! So Aclaire’s finally taking action... :P Thank you for reading!! <3 Also please feel free to comment and if you havent subscribed please do ^^ I really appreciate all of this <3