Secrets Out

Melody's Kiss

Aclaire’s POV

I didn’t know what to do. A part of me told me to call Joon right away but that would make it too obvious. Then I heard my Mum calling us out to eat lunch. I really didn’t have the appetite but I responded anyway. I walked out of my room and noticed Chunji smirking at me when I arrived at the table. Oh god. I hated this guy so much! He’s only been out of my life for, let’s see, 7 years. How I wished it was longer.

I ate silently as my parents and Chunji talked about the past.

“Do you remember that time on Aclaire’s 10th birthday when she said that she would marry me?” Chunji suddenly said and I choked on my food.

“Yes! You two were so cute back then!” My Mum squealed.

I shivered with horror when that was mentioned.

“Hey, I was 10. Right now I have different thoughts on who I’m marrying. And let me make it clear, it’s definitely not going to be you,” I said angrily while I got up.

I realised I was ruining the atmosphere, “I’m so sorry,” I apologised and walked into my room to calm myself.

Chunji’s POV

The smile on my face dropped when I heard that.

“I’m sure it’s just one of those days,” Aclaire’s Mum said and she placed her hand on top of mine.

“Yeah, don’t worry about,” Aclaire’s Dad said.

I knew they were trying to comfort me as they knew something that I didn’t dare let Aclaire ever find out.

“I should go talk to her,” I said and left the table.

I walked up to her door and wondered if I should knock. I lifted my hand up and then slowly put it down again.

Aclaire’s POV

I can’t believe I just did that. It’s not that I’ve always hated Chunji, it’s just what he did at my 10th birthday that caused me to change my views on him. My mind suddenly flashed back to the moment…

~~~

It was the end of the party and everyone had left. Chunji and I were the only two remaining.

“Happy Birthday Aclaire,” he said with a sincere smile.

“Thank you,” I replied.

“Aclaire, what was your wish?” He asked with curiosity.

“I can’t tell you. Otherwise it wouldn't come true,” I protested.

“As if you believe in that? Come on tell me,” he urged.

I frowned, “But it’s embarrassing,” I said in a small voice.

“I won’t tell anyone, promise,” he replied and I believed him.

I hesitated a little bit but then bought up the courage to say it confidently, “My wish is to one day marry Chunji,”

I said and blushed straight away. Chunji’s eyes widened and turned away.

“What’s wrong? Is that a bad wish?” I asked and reached out my hand. My finger tips brushed over his arm and he shook my hand away.

I was confused.

“Chunji…?”

He started shaking. Was he ok? I peered closer and realised he was snickering.

“I can’t hold it in anymore,” he said and started to laugh hysterically.

His laugh reverberated around the room and I was left hurt.

“Are you serious? That was your wish? I’m sorry but I don’t think it’ll come true,” he said and continued laughing as if it was some kind of joke.

Wounded by his words, I started tearing up and quickly ran into my room.

After that day, he started to act coldly towards me. I tried to talk to him but he ignored my every word. He even said some really harsh things. A week later he wasn’t at school and I heard from Mum that he had moved to the States. He left without even saying goodbye which caused my wound to deepen.

~~~

I could feel a burning sensation arise behind my eyes. I was really hurt that time. I looked to the side as a tear gently formed and rolled down my cheeks. The part between my heart and throat were burning and I tried to suppress any noise that came out in case someone could hear me. Small sniffs escaped as I wiped my tears away. I promised myself I would never cry over Chunji ever again but here I am doing just that.

Chunji’s POV

I heard sniffing sounds emitting from inside the room. Was Aclaire crying…?  I slumped to the floor with my back facing the door and leaned my head backwards.

“What exactly am I doing?” I quietly said to myself.

The truth is, I too, liked Aclaire. A lot! When she said she would marry me I was totally overwhelmed with joy but I knew that nothing could ever happen. My family was going to move to the States and I knew that if I returned her feelings, I would never be able to leave, hence, why I treated her so coldly. I wanted her to hate me, to not love me. Then I wouldn’t feel so bad.

I exhaled a deep sigh and wondered how long I was going to pretend in front of her. Suddenly the support of the door disappeared and I fell backwards. A figure jumped and a pair of red eyes stared down at me. I quickly got up and brushed the dirt off my shirt.

Aclaire looked at me.

“What are you doing?” she asked as she raised an eyebrow.

It was time to put on a mask again.

“Nothing. I was just eaves dropping to see if you were going to call that Jin guy,” I replied and smirked.

She didn’t look amused and manoeuvred herself past me, probably thinking what a jerk I was. As much as I didn’t want to hurt her, this was the only way she could change any feelings she had for me and I’m pretty sure it worked.

Later during that day, I didn’t share a word with Aclaire. That was until she suddenly called me into her room before dinner. I entered and she locked the door.

I gave a small laugh.

“I know you love me but… locking me in your room isn’t going to do anything,” I said.

She coughed.

“As if. We need to talk. This is serious business I’m discussing with you right now,” she replied.

“Well discuss away,” I insisted as I sat on her bed.

She sighed and came to sit beside me. She looked at me with pure eyes and I found myself getting lost staring at them. I blinked a few times to snap myself out of it.

“Just how much have you figured out?” She asked.

“Figured out what? That Jin is actually Lee Joo-” I said before she cupped her hands over my mouth.

She looked towards the door before finally releasing her hands.

“Not so loud,” she whispered.

“Is he really?” I asked.

“Can I trust you?” she responded.

“Well it’s me, Chunji. Can you trust me?” I asked instead.

Aclaire’s POV

What was with this guy? I asked the question but somehow he didn’t answer and ended up directing the question at me. I had no choice, he had found out and for Joon’s sake, I had to keep his mouth shut.

“Please keep it a secret,” I said, “If anyone found out it would ruin everything,”

“Make me,” he said with a mischievous smirk on his face.

Joon had entrusted me with this secret, I couldn’t do anything to break that trust.

“What if we made a deal? You keep it a secret and I’ll, I’ll…” I started but couldn’t finish it off.

“You’ll what? Be my slave? Kill yourself?” Chunji threw suggestions in my way.

“What do you want me to do that will stop you from telling anyone? Chunji please, what can I do?” I wailed.

Chunji’s POV

Watching her do this all for another guy made me angry. How could she just say that? What if it was someone else and not me? Did she know that any guy could just take advantage of her in a situation like this? What was she saying that she would do anything? Just how important is this guy to her that she would risk anything for him? I looked at her, trying so hard to protect another guy. Emotions of irritation started to arise inside me.

“Go out with me,” I blurted.

******

I had the biggest writers block and had no idea what to write so please forgive me if the outcome wasn’t good…

…But. Chapter 15 is up and I hoped you’ve enjoyed the story so far. As always thank you for reading! <3