He's a Friend of Mine, Well, Was

Melody's Kiss

Aclaire’s POV

My awesome sunny day with my parents had suddenly taken a turn for the worse. Who would’ve thought he was going to be here as well.

“So why are you guys together?” I questioned.

“Oh, we met on the plane. At first I thought he looked familiar and then I finally realised it was him,” my Mum had explained as she patted his shoulder.

We talked endlessly as we strolled over to the taxi. My Dad had taken the front seat which left just enough seats for my Mum, him and I. Unfortunately I was stuck in the middle. I scooted over to the left where my Mum had sat and tried to ignore him.

“Well aren’t you two awfully quiet with each other,” my Mum stated.

“It has been a while, I’m pretty sure Aclaire is just left speechless by my return,” he answered and I almost vomited.

My Mum nudge me on the arm and I knew she was hinting for me to talk.

I cleared my throat, “So, how have you been?”

He looked into my eyes like he always used to and his lips curled into a smile.

“I’ve been well, and yourself?” He asked.

“Yeah, I’m good,” I answered and broke contact with his gaze. We were both silent again. The only noise in the taxi was the conversation between me and my parents. I shot a glance to my right and noticed he was staring out the window with an expression that seemed like he was in deep thought. He suddenly spoke,

“Nothing’s changed has it?” he asked.

No one answered so I took the honour.

“Yeah, everything’s still the same,” I said and tried to keep it as short as possible.

We arrived at the bottom of my apartment building and he had gotten off too. Confused, I narrowed my eyebrows and looked across to my Mum.

“Chunji’s just staying for one night. He accidently booked his stay at the hotel for tomorrow,” she explained.

I shivered when his name was mentioned as it brought back memories that I didn’t want to remember. He put on a pair of black sunglasses and took out his luggage. We began to enter the building when someone obstructed the elevator door. I shut my eyes in distress. Joon was wearing a white tank top which showed off his built back and seemed to be waiting for the elevator. He turned around and noticed the four of us approaching his direction. My eyes widen when I heard Chunji yell out a name.

“Is that Lee Joon?” He said while sliding his black sunglasses down his nose and then back up again.

He walked up to him and offered him a handshake. Joon awkwardly smiled and glanced in my direction for help. I immediately got the hint and walked towards the two of them. Luckily there was no one else around.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not Joon. I’m Jin, Aclaire’s cousin,” he explained and I mentally face palmed. How am I going to explain this to my parents?

Chunji looked at me with a puzzled expression.

“Cousin?” He said as he pointed back and forth to the both of us. I gave a small laugh and directed Joon into the elevator.

“I’ll explain everything later,” I said across the room as the elevator door closed in front of me.

We were inside the elevator and Joon gave me a blank look. I sighed and tried to take in deep breaths to control my fast beating heart.

“What’s wrong?” Joon asked.

“The person you just spoke to, he's a friend of mine, well was, and the people behind them were my parents,” I said.

“What!?” He exclaimed in shock.

“Yeah, see what you’ve done? How am I going to say that I actually have a cousin that my parents don’t know about?” I said in frustration.

He didn’t say a word and paced around the small space we were in.

“So any ideas?” I asked.

“I’m still thinking,” he said and continued pacing.

Suddenly the fact that there were only the two of us in an elevator hit me. He walked towards me and stared deep into my eyes.

“W-what?” I stuttered and couldn’t help but turn a feverish red. I was afraid to breathe and only took in tiny sips of air.

I avoided eye contact and adjusted my eyes elsewhere. The elevator door opened and Joon stepped back. I let out a breath that I was holding in and inhaled deeply. It seemed like he had some kind of plan. I was a little worried actually, somehow his plans were always a little… you know, unreliable.

He exited the elevator and I followed. We stopped in front of a door and he took out his keys. I looked at the number, 727. Wait. This wasn’t level 8? Furthermore, he lived directed below my apartment!? He gestured for me to enter and I stared at him blankly. My phone suddenly vibrated and it gave me a shock. The caller ID had Mum displayed on the screen.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Aclaire, where are you? We’re at the front of your apartment but we can’t get in. Can you come and opened the door for us?” She asked.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry. I’ll be there in a minute,” I answered and hung up.

“Look, if they ask anything. I am not Lee Joon,” he reminded.

“Ok, I got it,” I said and decided to take the flight of stairs because it would be quicker.

“I’ll tell you when I think of a way to get out of this mess,” I heard Joon yell behind me.

I gestured an “ok” and continued running.

The figure of my parents finally came into view.

“I’m so sorry,” I said apologetically.

“So? The guy…” Chunji started saying.

“Let’s go inside first,” I said.

We walked in and started unpacking the luggage. After that my Mum gestured for a family explanation. I don’t know why Chunji was joining us, considering he isn’t part of the family.

“Um, does Chunji have to hear too?” I asked.

“Well, why can’t he? You’ve known each other since you were five, he’s like family now,” Dad had said.

I cringed when he said family. Even if he was the last man on earth I still wouldn’t consider him close enough to be family. Chunji looked attentive and so did my parents. I had no choice but to try and dig my way out of this.

“So Chunji, that guy you saw earlier isn’t Joon. He’s a guy that goes to my school called Lee Jin,” I said.

“Why did he say he was your cousin then?” Chunji asked.

Seriously, did I say “Are there any questions?” I held in my annoyance and answered with the first explanation that came into my head.

“You see, we’re having this game sort of thing. We have to try to convince 100 people that I’m his cousin or else…” I was lost, or else what?

“go on..” Chunji suggested.

“or else I have to listen to three of his wishes,” I quickly blurted and hoped they didn’t notice my lie.

My parents lost interest and got up.

“I thought he was some long lost relative,” Dad said, “Oh well. Now that that’s clear, let’s whip up some food honey,”

“Sure thing,” My Mum replied and they began work immediately.

I was left alone with Chunji and he didn’t look convinced.

“I have a feeling there’s more to this story,” he said.

“You’re thinking about it too complicatedly. It’s as simple as that,” I explained.

He shrugged and stood up. He turned around and I let out a sigh of relief. Suddenly he turned back facing towards me with a grin.

“You just let out a sigh of relief didn’t you?” he asked.

“What? N-“ I said before he interrupted me.

“I knew it, there’s more to this “Jin” guy,” he said and walked out of the lounge room.

Oh no. Did I just dig myself a bigger hole? One of the many reasons why I disliked this guy was because he could sense everything, even the slightest lie couldn’t pass by him. The worse thing about that though was he was always, I mean always right. I really hope that he wouldn’t think too much about it and just drop it, but knowing him the chances of that were pretty thin.

I received a text not long after and it read:

Hey, it’s Jin. How’d it go?

“When did he get my number…?”I wondered and suddenly remembered that I had left him a note the first time we met. A smile formed across my face when I saved his number into my contacts list. I replied with the situation and he quickly responded with:

Good job. Keep it that way. As long as they don’t who I really am, it’s fine. Although I’m pretty sure over 100 people know that I’m your cousin. I guess that means no wishes for me...:P

I gave a small laugh at his response and quickly put my phone away. Suddenly Chunji came out of nowhere and walked speedily towards my direction with a smirk on his face.

“Guess what?” He asked.

“…What?” I asked hesitantly. Something didn’t feel right. Whatever it was it was definitely not going to be something good.

“Your. Secrets. Out.” He said as his face inched closer with every word. He left me speechless and returned to the guest room.

Those three words stabbed me like arrows and I immediately felt nauseas. Don’t tell me he found out…? I snapped out of my trance and raced into my room to calm myself when I saw the computer had been . My browsing history was up and my eyes expanded, my search history on Mblaq and Lee Joon were displayed on the screen…

Oh my god. What have I done!?

*******

Ok. Chapter 14 is finally up. Thank you for being patient!! So Chunji is suspecting something…or maybe he already knows…

Thank you for reading! Please comment and subscribe. <3