It's Just a Phase

Melody's Kiss

Aclaire’s POV

No way. I can’t like him. How long have I known him for anyway? It hasn’t even been a month. I convinced myself that I didn’t like him and was just feeling like this after seeing his caring side. 

The Sports Carnival ended with the opposing team winning. Everyone was pretty disappointed and the class ended up walking home in a sulky mood.

“Oh well, at least we had fun,” I tried to convince Hyosung to think positively.

“Fun! You call nearly becoming a paraplegic, fun?” Hyosung turned around and expressed her frustrations by waving her arms in the air, “If we won, your efforts would’ve at least been worth it,”

“I can still walk, just not without help,” I said.

Hyosung laughed and put her arm around my shoulder, “Come on, let’s grab something to eat,” she suggested.

I agreed and we started to walk out of the school campus when Hyosung had spotted Joon with his friends. She walked over to them and invited them to join us.

“Sure, why not?” Kikwang answered.

“Need a hand?” Joon had offered while he held his hand out in front of me.

I looked at his hands and then up to his perfect smiling face.

“No,” I said too quickly and immediately regretted it. Joon slowly dropped his hand and shrugged.

“Don’t be mean,” Hyosung whispered.

It’s not like I was trying to be mean, it’s just that… if we had any contact I’m sure my heart could be heard on the other side of Earth!

The seven of us walked to Juliette Café and gained stares from most of the female customers. They were probably all staring at the guys and took no notice of Hyosung and me. I could see why though, the five of them looked surprisingly good together. It’s as if they were some idol group or something. Oh right, I mentally face palmed myself. Joon is from an Idol group.

There weren’t enough seats for all of us to sit at a table so Kikwang decided to pull two tables together. I gave a quick wave to my boss and he waved back. We ordered our food and sat patiently waiting for our meal. Hysoung was in deep conversation with the guys whereas Joon was just playing on his phone. I couldn’t help but smile. I guess he’s not used to the social atmosphere. He had seated himself opposite me and I was in between Hyosung and Himchan.

Our order came and everyone’s face lit up.

Hyosung stared at my sundae and looked at me with wet eyes.

“Aclaire, I wanna bite,” she said with her best baby voice.

She was so cute that I just had to give her some.

“Say ahh~,” I teased and she happily went for it.

I glanced up at the see what Joon ordered and noticed he was staring directly at me. I quickly looked back down and put a spoonful of strawberry sundae in my mouth. I immediately choked on a bit of the dessert when it suddenly went down my throat.

“Are you ok?” Hyosung asked as she my back while laughing at my clumsiness.

“It’s ok, no one’s going to eat any more of your sundae,” Daehyun said which made everyone burst into further laughter.

After continuous coughs, I finally managed to breathe again. I could hear Joon snickering in the background. How on earth did I end up liking this guy? 

Joon’s POV

I snickered when Aclaire suddenly choked. All I did was stare at her sundae, did she have to get defensive like that. Something didn’t seem right though; she hasn’t talked to me since I told her I carried her. I sighed, she’s probably just embarrassed.

We finished eating and Aclaire and I walked home. We walked in silence. I tried to make conversation but she would only answer me with short responses or nods. I was starting to get tired of thinking of a new topic to talk about so at the end, I gave up.

“Well, see you tomorrow,” I said as I exited the elevator.

“Bye,” Aclaire said and gave a small wave.

Aclaire’s POV

As the door closed, the view of Joon’s back gradually disappeared. I let out a big sigh. That was probably to most awkward walk I’ve ever experienced. I’m pretty sure this was just a phase and hopefully it would disappear soon.

~~~

A few days have passed and my “phase” hasn’t disappeared yet. I found myself glancing at his direction every now and then, and grinning myself to sleep recalling the conversations we’ve had. Things didn’t seem so awkward but my affection for him was starting to become hard to suppress. It was getting harder and harder to convince myself that I had no feelings for him. I sprawled over my bed to rest after a tiring day when my phone rang. I unwillingly got up and walked to the lounge room where the phone was located.

“Hello, Aclaire speaking,” I answered.

“Aclaire, it’s me,” my Dad’s voice boomed on the other side.

“Dad! Hey, What’s up?” I asked.

“I just called to tell you that we’re arriving tomorrow,” He said and I could hear the excitement in his voice.

My face beamed, “Oh yeah! What time?” I asked. To be honest I’d totally forgotten all about it…

“It says I’ll arrive at around 11am,” he replied.

“Ok, 11am. I can’t wait to see you!” I said.

My dad laughed, “Me too, so how’s school?”

“The usual, nothing really worth talking about,” I replied.

“Well, I hope everything is well,” he stated.

“Don’t worry everything here is fine. How long are you staying for?” I asked.

“Just a couple of days I’m afraid,” he answered.

I felt a little disappointed. Oh well at least I could see them, “Well it’s better than nothing right?”

“Yeah… Oh I wanted to tell you some good news,” he said and made some sound effects which I believed was supposed to be a drum roll.

I laughed. Dad was always so playful, “Go on,” I insisted.

“We’ve signed a contract with Bridal and we’re in charge of the photography!” He exclaimed.

“That’s great news!” I said excitedly.

“Oh hold on, I think they’re calling right now. I would’ve loved to talk longer, see you tomorrow sweetie,” he said.

“Ok. Bye,” I replied and kissed the phone. He hung up and I was speechless.

My dad was a photographer and Bridal was one the best wedding producers out there. When I was little I used to flip through their magazines and stare admiringly at the beautiful wedding gowns they designed. Now that Dad’s taking photos of them maybe I could ask for a copy of their latest magazine issue. Images of me in a wedding dress and my significant other suddenly flashed my mind. Surprisingly, I found it really hard to imagine Joon and me walking down the aisle together. A side of me mentally cursed myself when I snapped out of it. What was I thinking? There was no future between us. He was an Idol and me? I’m just an ordinary girl. Another side however told me it was ok to imagine and I liked that.

~~~

I rushed out the house and caught the taxi to the airport. I was so absorbed in searching the net on Bridal that I lost track of time. The taxi came to a halt and I told him to wait while I went to pick up my parents. I entered the arrival terminal and searched for them. Looking left and right I finally spotted them standing at the queue with someone else. I walked up excitedly up to them full of smiles when I realised just who was standing next to them. My smile dropped. Since when did he arrive? No, more importantly. Why was he here in the first place!? 

“Aclaire! It’s been such a long time,” He greeted.

I forced a smile, “Yeah it has. A very long time,”

****

Thank you for reading! Please anticipate the next chapter. =D