Kai: Chapter 28

Bad Boy

 

You smile, a little bitterly. "You know. I don't mean to sound selfish. But ... if you say that it's obvious that I'm always 'there', or whatever, then why ... doesn't he notice that?"

She her head in confusion. "I don't get what you're trying to say."

"I mean," you stammer, "It's just ... like just now?" You say, pointing to where Kai had gone. "He just walks away. In the middle of a conversation. And I like Kai, I do, but ... does he always have to do that?"

She leans her chin against her cupped hand and stares at you. "Are you talking about his tendency to say one thing and do another? Or are you talking about his really short attention span?"

You look down at the table. "Both."

"I don't know what you're saying," she says, tapping the table with her index finger. "You want to know why he's like that? I mean ... "

"Well, you've known him for years, haven't you?"

She snorts. "That depends." Depends? On what? "Anyway, Kai is like that because his dad is the same way. He rarely treats you with his whole attention, does he? And when he does, it gives you the best feeling in the world?" She asks you. You consider this question before you nod. "Well, you can't expect him to be super nice. Kai got that petty personality from his dad. He is his dad's son, after all. They're going to be similar."

You look away. "I guess ... "

"Kai just doesn't notice that what he doesn't like in his dad, is the same exact thing he has," she shrugs. "But that's how people are. We don't really notice the bad things about ourselves, and when we do, we exaggerate it." She falls silent for a moment as she ponders what she's just said. "But, you know ... if Kai's dad comes. And if his dad will treat him differently, then I think we can expect Kai to act differently, too. You changed him, sure. And I'm not saying this in a mean way, I swear," she assures you. "It's good that he's different and whatever. But that's only half of him, you know? And then there's his dad. And I don't think he can completely change if his dad isn't willing to let him." She makes a face. "That was really sappy. Let's talk about something else."

"Like what?"

"Uh, I don't know," she muses. "We could talk about - "

" - Kai? - " you supply.

"That's funny," she feigns a laugh. "I - "

"Do you like anyone right now?"

She pauses. "What?"

"Do you have a crush?" You ask her, giving her a secretive smile. She blushes and runs a hand over her face, as if the action will change her expression. "It's not Kai, is it?" You tease. You mean for it to sound like a joke, although inside, you're genuinely curious and worried.

"That's a joke, right?" She says, pointing a finger at you. "Except it's not funny. No, I do not like Kai. Anymore," she corrects when she sees your expression. "I like someone else."

"You do?" You gape.

"Didn't I tell you that?"

"I don't remember," you admit. 

"Well, I do," she says in a firm tone. She looks like she's about to say something else, but then she stops herself.

"So ... who is it?" You ask, trying to fish for information.

"I'm not telling you!" she scoffs. "You probably don't know him anyway. But I can tell you this - he looks like a jerk. Like Kai."

"Kai doesn't look like a jerk," you protest.

"Ha," she fakes a laugh yet again. "Another joke. That's great."

You make a face. "So you won't tell me who it is?"

"He's on the talent show committee, you'll probably see him there if you go early," she tells you. "Which you should. All the participants are going early. You could hang out with me, since I'm on the committee too."

"Okay," you agree as you reach over and pull your half empty cup of water to your lips. Just as you take the first sip, the bell rings, and Hyunsoo stands up and grabs her tray.

"I'll see you around," she says, waving at you before she heads for the classrooms. You nod and return her wave. 

"Later," you call just before she mingles with the crowd.

-----

Kai skips class again. It's to be expected, although you do wish he'd exercise a bit more responsibility. 

Hyunsoo's words have been echoing in your brain, and you admonish yourself for thinking this way. Kai isn't going to just magically change overnight. He's not going to suddenly acquire a taste for niceties. Not if his dad is his influence. And you can't change any of that, either. It's not up to you. It's a rift that can only be fixed between Kai and his dad. 

Kai calls you later that night asking if you can wait a couple more weeks before you and he go on more dates. Because he's so busy with practicing for the show, he doesn't have time to waste. He confesses that he wants to impress his dad and show that he's got a dream, too; just not a dream of which his dad would approve. 

In your opinion, Kai doesn't need to practice, although you could be thinking that way just because you're biased. Nonetheless, you're willing to let him go on his own direction. He was the dream that you chased, and now it's Kai's turn to achieve his.

As the talent show nears, Kai attends classes more often. He probably understands that receiving a good final semester grade would benefit him in the long run. At times, he'll leave a note on your desk with a picture of a rose, or the pond, or his iPod. His drawings aren't excessive, and they certainly aren't impressive, but they gratify you. It's his way of saying that he's still paying attention to you, even if he doesn't see you as much as he wishes he could. 

From what you've heard on the news, his dad's company is persevering. The stocks have gone up, and while Kai still has to attend some meetings, he's been granted a fair amount of leniency by his dad. You suppose that his dad wants him to focus on succeeding in the talent show, although maybe not for the same reasons that Kai wants. Still, it's progress, and you can't complain. 

His dad is doing better, too. Kai sent you a text last night saying that he was discharged from the hospital. This is definitely good news, since Kai can entirely focus on his performance now.

Today is the night before the talent show. It's crazy how time flies, even when you're not doing anything fun. Although you hesitated at first, you decide to call Kai before you go to bed.

"Hello?" He answers. He's panting. He must be at the dance room. You glance at the clock: it's 11pm.

"Aren't you going to bed?" You ask him. Lying down in bed in the dark, you stare up at the ceiling and clutch the blankets close to your chest.

"I'm practicing," he explains.

"What if you tire yourself out?"

"I won't," he declares. "I'm fine. I mean, I'm tired, but - "

"You can't perform if you're tired, can you?"

He laughs, the sound a welcome song to your ears. "Fine. I'll go to bed. Okay?" You hear a rustle in the background as he says, "What did you call me for?"

"I just wanted to say hi," you confess. 

"Oh." A pause. "Hi," he comments. You grin. "Can you come early tomorrow for the talent show? You can just hang out backstage."

"Yeah, I'm going to visit Hyunsoo anyway. So I'll be there."

"Good," he replies, and you can hear the smile in his voice. "Are you heading off to bed?"

"Mhm."

"Do you want me to sing you to sleep again?" He chuckles. 

You want him to, but you figure he's got better things to do than amuse you. "It's okay. You need to go to bed."

"Alright, alright," he sighs. "I'll see you tomorrow, then, okay? Goodnight."

You pull away from the phone and, as you stare at the screen, you whisper, "Goodnight."