The Perfect List

Wanted: Perfect Husband

 

“Unnie!!”

I looked up from my book and saw Hyerin bashing into my room, crying her heart out. It wasn’t an unusual sight for me. My baby sister, Hyerin always cry even if its just a small matter. Hyerin sat down next to me on my bed. I closed my book and put it on my side table.

“What is it now?” I asked, uninterested.

“Omma said I can’t get married with Yoseob oppa until YOU get married!” she said, pouting her lips to me.

I blinked your eyes several times, trying to register what she just said. Since when omma became so old fashioned?

“Unnie! Get married please!! I really want to marry Yoseob oppa!” Hyerin pleaded.

“Bwoh?? Why do I have to sacrifice MY carefree life just so that you can get married?” I shouted.

Hyerin’s eyes started to water. Oh no she’s going to cry again.

“Yah… why do you want to get married anyway? You and Yoseob are happy together now right? Can’t you just be like this?” I said.

A tear dropped from her eyes and she wipes it away. “Yoseob and I want to start a family as soon as possible unnie. We are not career minded like you”.

I was about to smack her head when she quickly covered her head with one of my pillows.

Aish.. why must I get involved in this situation?

I went out of my room with Hyerin following behind me. I saw my mum sitting comfortably on the living room sofa, reading a newspaper. There’s the culprit.

“Omma! Wae do I have to get married just because Hyerin wants to??” I screamed. I didn’t care about anything anymore. No respect. No manners.

“Yah Kim Hyuna! Is that how you talk to your mother? Where’s your respect for the elders??” she shouted back and stood up.

Hah! Only at times like this she would admit she’s old. If not, don’t you expect to hear the word ‘elder’ from .

I just stood there, staring directly into her eyes and just waiting for her reply.

“You are older Hyuna. That’s how its supposed to be. Hyerin cannot break that rule.” My mum said in a gentler but strict tone.

“It’s not fair! You KNOW I don’t want to get married. I’m happy living my carefree life right now. If Hyerin wants to get married and be stuck serving Yoseob all her life, let her be!” i shouted.

“Unnie!”

i turned towards Hyerin who was already sobbing. Although I’m quite fierce to my sister, but I still didn’t like the feeling that I had made her cry. I didn’t mind seeing her cry because, well, that’s what she always does anyway. But I don’t want to be the reason.

I let out a deep sigh and looked down on the floor. What am I supposed to do?? I don’t want to get married. Well not now. Maybe later when I have already achieved whatever I want. Like travelling all around the world, get the highest position in my company and have two or three houses in every country. Until then, I am not getting married. Obviously, my sister doesn’t have the same vision as me. She has been friends with Yoseob eversince middleschool. Now they are already in college and have been a couple since highschool. You must be thinking, aren’t they too young? Well they are graduating this year and Yoseob is one hell of a rich kid. Even if he doesn’t work, I know Hyerin would never die of hunger. The thing I approve of Yoseob is that he doesn’t want to just stay at home and depend fully on his parents’ wealth. He has an ambition. He wants to work and attain his own success. This is also one of the reasons my parents didn’t mind Hyerin being with him.

But now, I’m just really pissed with the both of them. Because of them, I need to sacrifice my life. What is going on with this world??

I looked up and my mum was looking expectantly at me.

“I don’t have a boyfriend,” I said with a straight face. Taking it as a sign of agreement, Hyerin said cheerfully, “Then we’ll find you one!”

What have I got myself into?

 

“Okay unnie, me, Yoseob and omma will find you your future husband! First we need to know your taste right? So what do you look for in a husband?” Hyerin smiled.

I was sitting in the living room sofa with the three cupids: Mum, Hyerin and Yoseob. Can you believe it? Yoseob is also helping. I didn’t mind since I’ve already treated him like my own dongsaeng.

I thought about it carefully while the cupids looked at me, waiting patiently for my reply.

“I want a husband that has a car, has a high position in a company like a CEO, has muscles but not too bulky, has 6 packs, short smart hair and a gentleman. Oh! And he have to be handsome.” Just as they thought I was finished, I continued, “I don’t want a guy that smokes, have tattoos, don’t have a proper job, a player, sweet talker and especially AN ALCOHOLIC,” I finished my list by giving a disgusted face. Its true. I really HATE alcoholics. Even if they don’t get drunk, their breath stinks and the waste their time at bars drinking alcohol or beer.

The three cupids looked at me, mouth opened.

“What?” I asked.

“Noona.. how do you expect to get a husband like that? This is reality noona! The word ‘perfect’ doesn’t exist really,” Yoseob said and the other two cupids nodded their heads in agreement.

“Well you’re the one who ask what I look for in a husband….” I said looking all innocent.

Hyerin was writing down all the points I said in a notebook.

“Ok unnie. When we find someone with at least one of the characteristics that you mentioned, we will tell you! And you will go out on a blind date to see if the both of you match,” Hyerin said happily.

I simply nodded and went up to my room. I can almost hear my ideal husband saying in my head, “Find me if you can~”. Its impossible to find you my dear.