No Questions Asked

Still Waters Run Deep

~Micky~

 

“Hey.” 

“Hey.”  Andrea answered without looking up.  She moved her books from her bag to locker.  “Can you hold this for a minute, please?”  I took her coffee.  Took a sip.  She smiled when she saw the face I made.

“Are you trying to kill yourself or what?”  She took the thermos and shrugged.

“At least I’m not addicted to it like you are.” 

“I am not addicted.  I can stop any time I want…”  She raised her eyebrows.  Raised the thermos and took a few swallows.  “…I just don’t want to.”  She laughed and shook her head.  “So what’s the occasion for the black coffee?” 

“Mmm…”  She touched her temple.  “Pulled an all-nighter for an English paper.”  I whistled.

“I would have given up and slept.”  She smirked at me, pulled her hair to the side with one hand.

“I know.” 

 

Conversation ended there.  Those days, she was getting distant again.  She was smart.  Valedictorian, even though she was taking the highest leveled classes the school offered.  Her teachers were nagging her about college.  It had been like that for a long time now.  But, before, she had always seemed content to me.  Happy enough, even if she didn’t show a giddy, bubbly side often.  Lately, she was so cold.  Lost even.  Looking at her that morning, I could tell something had happened that she hadn’t told me.  Not that it would be a surprise.  She was private, even with how close we had gotten.  She never pried.  Never offered much information about herself.  She left it to my imagination.  Maybe she didn’t think about it.  Yeah…maybe that’s it….she just overlooked it.

 

But that hole in what I knew about her…it started to bother me during the last half of junior year.  That day especially.

 

She pushed up the sleeves of her shirt and I stopped walking.  When she saw I wasn’t with her she turned. 

“What’s wrong?”  She asked.  I touched her arm lightly and she winced. 

“Why do you have a bruise like that?”  I asked.  She made a face and tugged her sleeve down again.  She laughed.

“It’s such a stupid story.”  She said.  We started walking again.  “I was mopping the floor and *fwooop*”  She cut her hand though the air.  “Fell on my .  Well, kind of…”  She touched her hip and tipped her head.  Her smile was so sheepish.  “You’ve seen me run into lockers and walls around here.  It shouldn’t surprise you so much!” 

 

It’s not that I didn’t believe her…  Not that I didn’t trust her.  I worried about her.  Something wasn’t right.  I couldn’t place it…but she was changing. 

 

*******************

~Andrea~

 

 I really did fall down when I was mopping!  Micky’s expression wasn’t exactly one of disbelief, but obviously one of befuddlement. 

 

Unlike most people I’ve ever had to encounter in my life, Micky was always very in tune with my mood.  If I was sad or upset, he would know.  If I needed someone to tell me a story or take my mind off of things, he would be there. 

 

Once, I was upset over things that were happening at home.  I never told Micky the specifics and tried not to show how much it bothered me.  Sitting in homeroom, he had taken my calculator and typed out in alpha-lock “BE HAPPY…SMILE!”  I smiled when he slid it onto my desk.  I knew he wondered but knew better than to ask.  I also knew that he was worried about me sometimes.

 

But I couldn’t tell him. 

 

To unload all of my concerns and problems on him…I couldn’t do it.  I didn’t feel like I deserved to.  It wasn’t that big of a deal.  I mean, compared to the people starving in Bangladesh, the polar bears who were losing their homes because of global warming, and kids in my own school who had completely messed up families…the things that kept me awake at night weren’t huge issues. 

 

But that morning, I could see the theories going through his head.  Does her father abuse her?  Does someone at home hurt her?  Should I try to ask this time?  And I couldn’t do anything to put his mind at ease.  I could only smile and try my best to be happy. 

 

*********************

~Micky~

 

Andrea was an honest person.  It was like she wanted so badly to trust no one and reveal nothing…but everything about her is very open.  Once you know her…she’s easy to read.  If she’s sad, happy, tired, or frustrated…everything about her tells you. 

 

I used to just watch her sometimes.  It wasn’t in a stalker type way.  Just, if she was in my line of vision…I’d watch her expression.

 

If she was doing school work, she was focused.  She would not be distracted.  There was this almost fierce static around her.  No one would bother her. 

 

When she was reading a story or a novel….she was different.  It was like I could read the novel from her expressions.  A happy part…she’d have a smile.  A sad part…she’d bite her lip.  A nerve wracking part…she would be on the edge of her seat, turning the page while she was reading it.  Her books took her away.  When the bell rang or she had to close the book, she would still be miles away for several minutes. 

 

She didn’t read as much during junior year.  She had too much work to do.  Throwing herself into calculations and essays…  By winter break I was wondering if she had anything left to give.  We talked less.  Saw each other less.  She spent every moment working, absorbing information, running from class to class. 

 

When I did talk to her, when I saw her, she was so cut off from everything.  In her own world by choice and stuck there.  Hard as I tried, I couldn’t follow her there.  I could hardly pull her out now. 

 

“Andrea.”

“Yeah.”

“What are you doing this weekend?”

“Hmm?”  She finally looked up from her pages of calculus equations.  “Why?”

“Because you need to stop working.  Even if it’s for two hours.”  She got this far away look again.

“Andrea?”

“Yeah.  I…I have something I have to do.”  Why did she have to be so mysterious all the time?  I really couldn’t take it much longer.

“What?”

“What what?” 

“Andrea, what do you have to do this weekend?”  She searched my eyes and I held my breath.  Then the wonderfully timed bell rang.  She stood.  Neatly stacked her papers, binders, books and held them against her hip.  She looked like she was debating something in her head for a moment then…

“I’m visiting someone…do you want to come with me?” 

“Okay.  When and where?”  Sometimes it was best to ask as few questions as possible.  I got more answers from her that way. 

“Bus stop.  Nine o’clock?”

“Sure.”

 

Hey, if she asked me to be there, I would go.  No questions asked.