Intersection

Black Revolver

 

Chapter 2

pink| Intersection

‘Amazing. Seriously amazing.’

The dark haired woman looked at her surroundings in awe. She was standing in the lobby of a large shopping center filled with stores as far as the eye could see. The biggest shopping center in the world. A dream come true for many women – especially for the one named Tiffany Hwang. After standing still admiring all the ads, stores, and people, Tiffany excitedly ran off to the first store that caught her eyes.

Fresh off the plane, Tiffany had been assigned to a case that was linked to Korea- the Triad Killings. Members of the Korean branch of the infamous crime organization have been killed mysteriously in a surprisingly large amount lately. Killed before undercover agents could even figure out that the victims were Triad members. Strangely, almost all of the victims died of a slit throat. Whoever was responsible had a very sharp blade and very good technique. And the killer in question had information on the Triad. Very good information. And information Tiffany wanted.

///

Tiffany sat on the couch, reading through a pile of papers while the TV blared CNN news and her laptop was on the homepage of BBC. Clothes were already strewn haphazardly across her bed, shopping bags sitting in a corner in a dangerously tall pile. A cup of coffee sat empty next to her, another cup half empty on her other side. The window was open to let out the lingering smell of smoke from the cigarettes her informant had been smoking just a half an hour earlier.

The killer had struck again last night. The bodies were found in front of the Dynacore headquarters – obviously dumped, but they could not trace who had done it.

This time, one of the victims was the heir to Dynacore – a Triad run financial agency. Of course, the company was a cover up used to gain influence over both the economy and government. What was strange wasn’t the fact that the three men were killed, but that they were killed the day before a planned assassination of a local politician that was trying to shut Dynacore down. The killer was either very lucky or had known inside information that was privy to only the best undercover agents. Tiffany strongly believed it was the latter.

‘We got a lead telling us that the killer was from this area. I was finally able to dig through some records of the killings and all points lead here and now three more are dead. But that’s it. What now? We can’t even figure out if the person if female or male! How on earth are we supposed to track this person down!’

Frustrated, Tiffany threw the file cases back onto the coffee table of her rented apartment, combing her fingers through her hair as grabbed the remote to turn off the TV. She had hit another dead end. Upset, Tiffany decided to do what she usually did to relieve stress – shop.

Flipping through a directory she had picked up at the airport, she spotted a rather large ad: A grand opening of a new shopping mall in downtown Seoul. It was hosted by the beautiful and mysterious Jessica Jung of J Enterprises – the owner of the shopping mall Tiffany was in just the day before. She was a tycoon that ran almost all of the popular shopping and clubbing establishments in Korea.

After a moment of contemplation, Tiffany made up her mind to go. Her local informant wouldn’t be back until tomorrow afternoon anyway. She padded into her restroom, turning the bright fluorescent lights on. Slipping out of the casual jeans and t-shirt she was wearing, Tiffany proceeded to take a much needed shower before changing into her favorite shopping clothes – shorts, heels, t-shirt, and a light jacket to top it all off. Oh, and her gun. An agent should never forget her gun.

///

Tiffany stood amidst a large crowd gathering in the center of the shopping center. There, everyone waited for the official grand opening ceremony. Reporters moved eagerly about, trying to get into better positions to take that cover shot, city big shots straightened their ties and fixed their hair, shoppers fidgeted excitedly waiting for their grand opening coupons. Somehow, Tiffany had managed to be shoved up to the railing blocking all onlookers from the red carpet walkway.

Rubbing the area of her ribs where she collided into the railing, Tiffany looked up as everyone else began to whisper excitedly. The ceremony had started and the live band had stopped playing as many different executives walked down the steps.

Tiffany’s eyes followed the blonde and her body guard coming down the stairs. Most eyes were directed at the beautiful woman leading the pack – Jessica. Clad in a red dress, necklace with shimmering crystals, and the unmistakable five carat engagement ring on her finger, Jessica was a sight to see. But even with this beauty, Tiffany’s eyes were on someone else – the short woman carrying a white katana on her back: the bodyguard. Calm and expressionless, the woman walked silently behind the hostess.

From what information Tiffany had learned about J Enterprises from her debriefing before moving to Korea, she knew that this dynamic duo was a force to be reckoned with. Jessica Jung, engaged to the famous and powerful Kwon Yuri, was the daughter of an American senator before the family chose to move to Korea to serve as diplomats. This, along with her relationship with Kwon Yuri gave her inside knowledge to practically all the world’s important political figures. Her bodyguard, Tiffany learned purely from rumors, was trained in Japan under both Japanese and American military fighting and tactical techniques. One story tells of how she had trained in the Amazonian jungle for half a year, armed with only a pistol and her katana. Of course, Tiffany did not know what to believe – the girl had her own fan club even though she had never spoken aloud publicly.

By the time Tiffany broke from her thoughts, the bodyguard and executive had steadily walked closer to her area. Soon, the pair was standing right in front of her, Jessica being interviewed by a few reporters. Tiffany couldn’t help but stare at the short young woman’s cold eyes, which were dutifully scanning through the crowd, ready for a threat.

Suddenly, the bodyguard spoke, not looking at Tiffany, but surely addressing her. It wasn’t the fact that the bodyguard was talking to her that shocked her, but what she said. “Welcome to Korea. What is it like to be an Interpol agent?"

 

+++++++++