His wife-to-be

3 Identities of my Mysterious Wife

A/n: I've changed Mihye's surname from Lee to Choi, since it'll be confusing when I'm addressing L.Joe and Mihye's parents since both of them are Lees.

---

 

From the minute he woke up that day, his mood was foul.

He dreaded this day since he knew what his life was in for, he wished for time to be slower no matter how retarded that sounds, he hoped for some fairy godmother to suddenly grant him his naive wishes.

They didn't come true.

As L.Joe carefully tied a simple black tie on his neck, he gazed into the reflection in the mirror. It showed a handsome and charming man that was in high demand, and was rather hot if I might add. Rich, wealthy, the looks, the girls, the life.

"If only you weren't forced into some arranged marriage Lee Byunghun." L.Joe muttered as he fastened his tie. He checked himself in the mirror and rolled his eyes. Why was he looking good for some girl he never met anyway?

A knock on the door told him that it was time and he dragged his feet reluctantly down the stairs to where his anxious father and excited mother were waiting for him.

After twenty years of his life, L.Joe was going to surrender his freedom to some darn woman he didn't love. Oh yeah, life .

 

 

Mihye gulped as she fiddled with the hem of her dress.

She and her parents were already sitting in the restaurant, waiting for her future husband's arrival. That's what they always told her as a child, never let your husband wait. A good wife waits for her husband, not the other way round.

She vaguely wondered what her husband might look like, and she feverently hoped that he wouldn't be some drug addict or violent character.

From birth, this was what she was waiting for, her family was waiting for. Her purpose as a daughter in the family was to marry into a well-to-do family, to be a virtuous wife, to serve her husband. And have no life for herself.

Mihye didn't know what her married life would turn out to be, but she hoped she'd be able to take it. After all, she was the Queen. Many others depended on her, and she wouldn't just collapse because of some lousy marriage.

Her mother nudging her made her blink, coming out from her preoccupied thoughts and finally settling her eyes at a middle aged couple that was advancing to where they were sitting.

Mihye stood up and bowed respectfully like she was taught to. "Nice to meet you again Mr Lee." Mihye's father, Mr Choi stood up and held out his hand for a firm hand shake. The other man, which must be Mr Lee, smiled warmly and returned the hand shake.

He looked at Mihye and nodded in approval. "Your daughter turned out to be a beautiful young lady, Mr Choi." he praised. Mihye lowered her gaze, bowing shyly. Her mind drifted off to the most recent meeting she had with the rest of the women from the Women Organization and was soon just physically there, but not mentally.

"He's here." Her mother whispered in her ear, causing her to look up.

At once, she met eyes with an approaching brunette that caused her heart to skip a beat. She blinked as she looked at him, suddenly rather flustered and shy.

*Is that him? Lee. Byung. Hun.* she bit her lip in wonder.

The brunette seemed a little stunned at her sight as well but soon came to their table. "Please accept my apologies for arriving late. I uh...went to the rest room." he glanced at Mihye briefly before sitting down. Mr Lee smiled at Mihye and gestured to the new comer. "This is my son, Lee Byunghun. Byunghun, this is your future wife, Choi Mihye. Quite a catch, huh?"

L.Joe just nodded out of courtesy when his mind was silently accessing the woman who was sitting opposite of him. He knew everything about her, statistics specifically, since his mother never failed to tell him things about his fiancee. But he never knew how she looked, and he certainly didn't expect her to be so...beautiful.

L.Joe shook his head slightly to focus his thoughts. *She's just another pretty face, L.Joe. I bet that head's empty like the others.*

The dinner went on smoothly without anything interesting happening. The conversation was mainly led by the adults with the actual stars of the whole event being immersed in their own thoughts and secretly guessing each other's personalities in their minds.

Mihye thought L.Joe looked rather handsome, cute even, but she didn't think much of it. Many pretty boys had gone after her but she didn't respond to their courtship mainly because she was already engaged since birth, and also she could tell they didn't like her beyond her pretty exterior.

*I bet this Lee Byunghun is another one of those guys.* she thought. *Judging me by my looks, and thinking that all women are useless. I bet he just looks down on women in general. That's what they all think.*

Before they knew it, the dinner ended. Mihye and L.Joe were both anxious to get out of the place, but their parents had other plans. "Byunghun ah, since it's not that late, why don't you bring Mihye for a walk along the Han River before bringing her home?" Mrs Lee suggested. "Get to know her a bit."

"That sounds wonderful!" Mrs Choi agreed. She pushed Mihye over to L.Joe and grinned in a way that looked close to a sinister witch in Mihye's eyes. "Don't worry about anything, Mihye. Just let Byunghun take you home. See you later!" Both their parents hurried away, leaving the both of them.

Mihye bit her lip and looked at L.Joe in the eye, not hesitating to meet his gaze. L.Joe nodded and led the way to his car. They drove in silence, both having loads of questions and things to say, but not knowing how to start.

L.Joe glanced at Mihye and noted that her fingers were playing with the hem of her dress nervously. He turned away and focused on the road. *I hope she'll be able to take what I have in mind later.* He parked his car swiftly and opened his car door, not bothering to open the door for his future wife like what a gentleman would.

Mihye seemed unaffected, getting out of the door and slamming it shut, walking behind him purposefully. They sat down on opposite ends of a bench by the river and stared out at the pretty lights. L.Joe bit his lip, wondering how he was supposed to approach the subject, when Mihye spoke first.

"I don't want to marry you, if you're curious."

L.Joe blinked. He wondered if he had actually hallucinated and daydreamed about that, but he saw her looking at him intently and knew it wasn't a dream. Had she actually meant what she said.

"I don't want to marry you." Mihye repeated. She sighed softly and stared down at her hands. "But it's a duty I must serve as a daughter of the Choi family and there is nothing I can do."

L.Joe nodded, understanding. He laid back on his back and looked at the stars. "I don't want to marry you either." he responded. Mihye's lips twitched up in a small smile, thinking how ironic it was that their first agreement was that they didn't agree.

He looked over at her, his eyes flashing with a certain wonder. "But I never expected you to actually say that out." he admitted honestly. "Hell, I thought you would want to marry me."

Mihye rolled her eyes but didn't let him see. "Not everyone would just be contented with a wealthy handsome husband, Byunghun sshi. Life's more than superficial things like that."

L.Joe gaped at her for a few seconds before closing his mouth, clearing his throat to collect his cool. His wife-to-be was nothing like what he imagined to be. "So I'm assuming you'll agree to what I have to propose right now?" he asked.

Mihye looked at him with her round bright orbs that were glimmering curiously under the moonlight.

"Let's just get married for now." L.Joe suggested. "Our parents would never take no for an answer at this stage, and they'll never pass the company to me if I don't agree. We'll get married and when things are settled, we'll divorce, around six months later. We'll be married in name only, and act as a couple only in front of our friends and relatives. We're free to love others, except we can't be found out by the public. Only trusted friends can know of our deal. And when the six months are up," he looked at her. "You'll go back to being Choi Mihye, and I, Lee Byunghun."

Mihye absorbed everything eagerly. She caught L.Joe looking at her with an uncertain expression that showed how he doubted if she would agree. Mihye nodded slowly, causing L.Joe to gasp in surprise.

"Y-you're okay with it?" L.Joe blurted in surprise.

Mihye nodded. "We'll get married then, Byunghun sshi. Six months, and I go back to being Choi Mihye." she agreed. She stood up and smiled, holding her hand out.

L.Joe hesitantly took her slender hands in his and shook it firmly, once. "Until then..." Mihye cocked her head to the side with slight playfulness. "Hope you'll take care of me, 'husband'." she grinned.

L.Joe blinked as Mihye took off, getting her handbag and striding off in those killer heels of hers. He scratched his head and pinched himself, wondering if he had just imagined the whole thing.

He laid back on the seat and stared at the sky. "I thought she'd be clingy and whiny, but this Choi Mihye seems easier than I thought." he mumbled. "Great. After six months, I'm a free man again, and I can finally begin to look for that special one in my life."