Why Did I Fall In Love With You?

Frog Prince

 

The next morning, Minho is the first to wake up.

He goes into the washroom to freshen up, closing the bathroom door behind him.

He brushes his teeth and washes his face. Once he finishes, he sees a pair of clothes beside him. “I guess I’ll wear that…”

Taemin suddenly wakes up. “I gotta pee…” He gets out of bed and walks quickly to the washroom. Seeing the door is closed, he curses to himself. He bangs on the door loudly. “Minhyuk! I need to use to bathroom!”

Minho ed his shirt and was about to take it off when he heard Taemin outside.

Taemin starts banging louder when his urge starts growing. “OPEN UP!!”

He almost falls in when the door suddenly opens. He looks up to see Minho’s shirt ed, revealing his bare chest and visible abs.

Taemin looks away quickly, checking to see if he was blushing.

“What is it?” Minho asks.

Taemin quickly shakes his head. “N-Nothing... Nevermind.” He takes a step forward, but slips and falls back. He lets out a yelp until he feels a pair of strong arms support him.

Taemin and Minho make eye contact for a few seconds before Taemin quickly stands up. He’s pulled back by a ripping force in his scalp, making Taemin fall back against Minho’s chest.

“Ow! Ow, ow, ow…” Taemin winces.

“Your hair is caught to the buttons of my shirt.” Minho notices and tries to untangle Taemin’s hair.

Taemin begins to panic. The space between them was WAY too close for comfort. “H-Hurry up and get it out!” He squeaks.

Minho continues struggling with Taemin’s hair, making him yelp in pain whenever he pulled too roughly.

As if things couldn’t get any worse, Taemin’s mother walks past the bathroom but back-tracks and stares at Taemin and Minho in shock.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” Taemin’s mother screeches at their position.

Taemin swallows nervously and Minho stares at his mother in embarrassment.

“GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY BABY!” Taemin’s mother grabs her son’s arm.

Taemin feels another ripping pain in his scalp. “AH! UMMA MY HAIR IS JUST CAUGHT!”

His mother didn’t believe him. “MINHYUK YOU LET GO OF TAEMIN THIS INSTANT!”

Minho continues struggling with Taemin’s hair and starts getting annoyed with Taemin’s mother constantly yelling at him. He pushes her out of the bathroom and slams the door, locking it.

Taemin’s mother stares in shock. “DID YOU… LET ME IN!” She bangs on the door loudly.

Minho continues trying to untangle Taemin’s hair, making him wince every 5 seconds.

Finally, he manages to untangle it by force. Taemin lets out a yelp and staggers forward. He turns back, rubbing his hair painfully, and sees Minho with a small lock of his hair between his fingers.

He looks up at Minho and they both stare at each other awkwardly.

Taemin’s mother comes back to the door, this time, with a butcher knife. “I’m counting to 3… If you don’t open this door I’m forcing my way in! 1…2…3!”

Before she could bring the knife down, the door opens and Taemin storms out of the bathroom. His mother stares after him in confusion but directs her anger back at Minho.

“You… I would like to have a word with you.” She said darkly, holding the knife dangerously close to Minho’s face.

Minho looks at her and smiles. “I would too.” He takes her arm and leads her to the living room. She follows, confused with how it backfired.

 

Taemin’s mother shines the lamp in Minho’s face, making him shield his eyes uncomfortably.

“Tell me… What did you do to my Taemin?” His mother asks in a threatening voice. “You’re taking his innocence aren’t you?!”

“Umma! Me and Minhyuk-“ Taemin was cut off by his mother.

“Shut up!” She stares back at Minho, who’s still shielding his eyes.

“Listen… If we do not settle this right now… I will never let you off!” She warns.

Minho pushes the lamp away from his face and stares back at Taemin’s mother.

“I know I’m not really a relative of yours… After all, why would you go to such great lengths to get rid of me?” Minho questions, making Taemin’s mother shrink back.

“Until I figure out my identity… I will stay.” Minho said boldly.

There was a short silence before Taemin’s mother scoffs.

“You think this is a hotel where you can check in whenever you want? Fine. If you want to live here, you will handle all the manual work, including carrying gas tanks. You will only sleep on mattresses in the house. Got it?” Taemin’s mother said.

Minho nods.

Suddenly, an employee from Lotus Flower Motel comes in. “Minhyuk! I’m glad to find you here. Can you please come and help out at the motel again?”

Minho turns to the employee. Taemin and his mother both stare at him in shock. “You helped out at Lotus Flower Motel?” Taemin asks nervously. Minho looks back at Taemin and nods.

The employee gushes “Minhyuk is really good at hotel managing! We need him now more than ever!”

Minho looks sort of embarrassed with the praise. Taemin nods, clearly impresses, until a thought strikes him. “Wait… Did you see my uncle than?” He asks nervously.

Minho thinks, but shakes his head.

“He should!” The employee said and nods to Minho. “I’ll be at the motel when you’re ready!” With that, the employee dashes out of the house.

Taemin smiles at Minho. “I’m glad you’re trying to help with the motel. Uncle could really use it right now.”

Minho stares back at Taemin and asks. “Why is saving Lotus Flower Motel so important? It’s going to be demolished anyway so why are you so passionate in trying to save it?”

Taemin stares back at Minho like he just asked a very stupid question. “Have you ever strived hard to achieve something because you deeply care about someone?” Taemin tops Minho’s question with another.

Minho continues listening.

“If so, you wouldn’t care less about reaping any benefits. It’s the thought that counts.” Taemin touches his chest. “Get it?”

Minho stares back at Taemin but slowly nods.”Strive hard… For someone I deeply care about?”

Taemin pauses but clears his throat. “Run along now… They need you at the motel.”

Minho nods and walks out of the house. Taemin watches him go and decides to follow him secretly.

Taemin’s mother stares after him in shock. “Where do you think you’re going?! You still left many tasks undone!” But her scolding was left unheard.

 

Minho arrives at the motel to find an employee trying to catch a fly. The fly lands on the table and the employee carefully approaches it, before smacking the fly swatter down. She slowly raises it up and picks the dead fly off, blowing it out of her fingers in satisfaction.

Minho rolls his eyes and sighs. He walks over and takes the fly swatter out of her hands. She looks up in shock. “M-Minhyuk! I was just…”

“You need to look appropriate in front of customers. This…” Minho holds up the fly swatter. “Is not appropriate.” He puts it on the table.

The employee looks down in shame. But regains herself. “There won’t be any customers anyway!”

Taemin peeks in from the door and looks in. Two strangers pass by him and walk into the motel.

Another employee comes and gasps. “Customers!”

The female employee looks in shock but hurries along with the other employee to greet the customers.

“Welcome to Lotus Flower Motel! Would you like a room? How long will you be staying?” They both ask eagerly.

One of the customers looks hesitant. “We just need a place to stay for 2 hours.”

The smiles on the employees’ faces melt off. They roll their eyes and scoff. “Two hours only? This is not a stopover! Go somewhere else.”

Taemin’s smile fades.

The two employees turn to leave and stare in surprise as Minho makes his way to the customers.

“Anyone who enters is a guest.” Minho states to the employees.

Taemin’s smile slowly returns.

He bows to the customers. “Sir, madam. Sorry about that. But we will still have to charge based on the daily rate. You’ll still have to pay the full amount, even if you stay for two hours only.”

Taemin continues watching and nods in agreement.

“But during your stay, we’ll also provide lunch.” Minho puts out, smiling.

The male customer smiles. “Such an extensive service for just two hours?”

Minho nods. The customers nod, clearly satisfied.

“Hwang will take your belongings.” Minho motions to the male employee. Hwang looks up in surprise but smile excitedly and take the customers’ bags.

“This way! Please have a good rest.” Hwang said enthusiastically and ushers the customers down the hall.

“Room 518.” The female employee hands Hwang a key and he continues making his way down the hall, leading the customers to their rooms.

Taemin, Minho, and the female employee stare after the customers, smiling.

 

Jonghyun makes his way up the stairs of ECHO hotel with Eunhyuk. “What is the matter about, Eunhyuk?” he asks.

“DGM is up to something again… I don’t know what he wants to discuss with the chairman but I have a bad feeling about this.” Eunhyuk explains.

Jonghyun nods and continues following him.

Once they arrive at the door, Jonghyun hears Key’s voice.

“Minho will come back! You can’t sign it umma!”

They both barge into the room.

Jonghyun sees Key, along with his mother-in-law, and Lee Jinki sitting in a chair across from them.

“What’s going on?” Jonghyun walks over to Key.

“Jonghyun… DGM Lee wants the chairman to replace Minho as GM.” Key explains.

Jonghyun turns to Jinki in shock.

“Jinki… Why would you want to replace Minho’s position with the chairman’s? He’s done nothing wrong.” Jonghyun asks Jinki.

Jinki nods in agreement. “He did nothing wrong. He just wasn’t around…When the company needed him most.”

“I could go on and on about this… But I want you to know I’m only thinking about the company.” Jinki said. “If the chairman replaces the GM… The scandal with the media could lessen. We could start making business again, and maybe David will finally trust us.”

“But-“Key was interrupted by his mother-in-law.

“Key…” She looks at Jinki and sighs. “I understand.” She looks at Jonghyun. “I’m sure you understand DGM’s position in the company.”

Jonghyun hesitates, but nods. “It’s true he is the best candidate for the company… So I won’t oppose.”

The chairman nods and opens the folder, revealing the contract.

She takes her pen and gets ready to sign, when Key places his hand on the paper. “Chairman… You can’t-“

“Key…” The chairman looks at Key with a tired expression and gently pushes his hand aside, signing the paper.

Jinki watches and smirks to himself.

 

Jonghyun makes his way out of the company. “I should go visit Donghae…” He reminds himself and gets into his car.

Once he arrives, he makes his way to the door and knocks. “Donghae? It’s Jonghyun.”

He hears a female voice answer back. “J-Just a minute.”

Jonghyun hears rustling.

Out of worry, Jonghyun knocks on the door again. “Jessica?”

Finally, the door opens to reveal Jessica. Her hair was messy and her eyes looked tired.

“J-Jonghyun…” She smiles.

Jonghyun smiles back and walks into the room.

“So how have things been?” He asks Jessica.

“Very well.” Jessica smiles and rubs her pregnant stomach. “The baby is growing up big and healthy.”

Jonghyun smiles back and his eyes flicker to an ash tray. “Jessica doesn’t smoke… Is it…

He looks around the room and recognizes Donghae’s clothes lying on the floor. Beginning to feel frantic, he looks out the open window to see a familiar presence.

“Donghae…” He utters and makes his way past Jessica. She stops him weakly. “Please! Spare him!”

Jonghyun shakes her off and runs out the door to chase after Donghae.

Once he gets outside, he sees Donghae not too far away. He sprints after him.

“DONGHAE!!!”

Donghae continues running. He dashes down the side of a building, with Jonghyun following close behind.

They crash into many people during the chase.

Finally, Jonghyun catches Donghae by the collar. He slams Donghae against the wall, his eyes pleading and confused. “WHY?!?!” He yells.

Donghae’s eyes are closed painfully as he tries to catch his breath. “I was doing it for you, brother…” He confesses.

Jonghyun swallows, shaking. He grabs Donghae by the collar and drags him along. “The police station… We need to get things straight.” Jonghyun said.

“No way!” Donghae protests and struggles.

Jonghyun pushes him against the wall again. “STOP HIDING!”

“I can’t be jailed again!” Donghae cries. “Brother…”

A memory suddenly comes back to Donghae. “I’m still alive… Which means Choi Minho could still be alive too… I remember he got out of the car before me.”

Jonghyun stares in shock. “Are you sure?”

Donghae nods with confidence. Jonghyun remains silent in his thoughts.

“Brother… I promise I’ll find Minho and bring him back to you.” Donghae said and pushes Jonghyun away gently before sprinting away.

Jonghyun stares after him in a daze, not noticing Key run up to him.

“He’s the one who murdered Minho, isn’t he? Donghae, right?” Key asks in a panic.

Jonghyun remains silent.

“ISN’T HE?!” Key asks louder.

Jonghyun looks down. Key took that as an answer. “Kim Jonghyun! How could you let him off?! Answer me!”

Jonghyun remains silent.

Key opens the bag he was carrying and takes out his phone. “I’m calling the police.”

He was stopped by Jonghyun’s hand taking the phone away.

Jonghyun breathes in deeply. “Don’t call the police.”

“Jonghyun! Give it back!” Key yells.

Jonghyun ignores him and walks down the streets.

Key follows him in anger. “Why are you defending Donghae?!”

Jonghyun opens his mouth to speak, but gets interrupted again.

“It’s because Donghae is more important than Minho, isn’t it? You wouldn’t care what becomes of Minho!” Key states angrily.

Jonghyun scoffs in disbelief and turns to Key. “Why do you become so irrational when Minho isn’t around?”

“Because I lost someone important.” Key points to himself. “But you… You remain rational because you never treated the Choi’s as your family!”

Jonghyun puts his hands to his hips and nods. “I admit I have never felt a sense of belonging at the Choi’s… During the time I spent with the Choi’s… I never knew what a sincere laugh was.”

“You’re too arrogant, Kim Jonghyun.” Key said in disbelief. “You reject the kindness of others. You build you wall between you and everyone else. You never opened your heart-“

“I opened my heart to you!” Jonghyun confesses.

Key stared back in shock.

“I’m sure you’re aware of it… But you chose to be oblivious of it.” Jonghyun felt his voice breaking. “You wanted me to approach you… Yet you kept your distance from me.”

Key falters, touching the ring Minho gave him on his finger. He finally looks up and turns around to leaving.

Jonghyun grabs Key’s arm to stop him. “Where are you going?”

Key shakes him off. “I’m going to tell the police… Donghae is on the loose.”

Jonghyun pulls Key back. “Key!”

“Let go!” Key struggles.

Jonghyun moves closer to Key’s face and tries to look him in the eye, but Key avoids it... “You would get your revenge by reporting to the police… But think about it. Donghae has a family too! When Donghae went missing, his wife grieved as much as you did.”

Key finally looks at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun holds the phone to Key. “Go ahead and call the police. His unborn child… Will never know what his father looked like… What kind of person he was. If you make a phone call… His family will be labeled as murderers and kidnappers. This may mean nothing to you.”

Key stares at the phone, his expression hesitant. But rage bubbles up in him. He slaps the phone to the ground.

“Kim Jonghyun…” Key glares at him. “I hate you!” He storms away.

Jonghyun stares after him in bitter hurt and sadness.

 

Taemin’s uncle finally comes back to the motel and see’s a couple leaving from the motel with happy smiles on their faces.

“Goodbye! Have a safe trip and please visit again soon!” The two employees wave happily to the customers. They see the old man come and they run over to him.

“Old man! Thanks to our new hotel expert, the customers that just left were VERY pleased with the service and gave high praise on our motel!” Hwang said happily.

The old man looks at them strangely. “Hotel expert?”

The two employees nod and pull him into the motel. “He’s Taeminnie’s cousin! His name is Minhyuk.” They point to Minho, who is rearranging the flowers.

Minho hears his name and turns to them. Taemin’s uncle recognizes Minho’s face and his eyes widen.

Minho smiles warmly. “Hello. I’m Taemin’s cousin, my name is Minhyuk.”

Taemin’s uncle swallows and nods. He nervously offers his hand and shakes it with Minho.

He pulls his hand away quickly and stares at Taemin, who was talking to Minho before he arrived. “Taemin… When did you have a cousin?”

Taemin’s smile falters and he grabs his uncle’s arm, leading him away from the others.

“The truth is…” Taemin whispers to his uncle. “He’s not really my cousin… I accidently hit him with my truck, and he lost his memory.”

“Lost his memory?” His uncle said in disbelief, glancing at Minho.

Taemin nods and goes on. “Minhyuk is just a name I made for him.”

His uncle nods in understanding. They were both interrupted by the female employee coming back into the motel and announcing loudly.

“A person from the ECHO hotel is here!”

They all look up in shock.

Minho stares at their reactions in confusion. “ECHO hotel? What’s that?”

.” Taemin thinks.

The female employee scoffs in disbelief. “ECHO hotel is Asia’s first hotel-chain! Aren’t you an experienced hotelier?” She stares at him suspiciously.

Minho thinks and tilts his head in confusion.

Taemin’s uncle clears his throat. “A-Anyway, everyone get back to work I need to have a word with Minhyuk.”

The two employees pout but walk away to do their jobs.

Taemin’s uncle whispers to Taemin. “Taeminnie… Could you distract the person from ECHO for me? I need to speak with Minhyuk… Give him a treat or something…”

Taemin groans softly. “A treat?”

His uncle holds up some cash. Taemin takes it quickly. “Okay, bye.” He smiles and skips out the door.

His uncle chuckles but regains his seriousness and walks over to Minho. “Minhyuk… Can I speak to you for a moment?”

Minho looks at him in confusion but nods.

 

Once Taemin is outside, he stares at the cash and chuckles to himself.

He remembers what he needs to do and makes his way quickly to where the person from ECHO is.

“Omo! Isn’t that Kim Jonghyun?” Taemin recognized the car and the person leaning against it.

Taemin straightens his posture and walks over to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun was staring intensely at the scarf that Key hung on the palm tree; he didn’t notice Taemin behind him.

Taemin looks at what Jonghyun is staring at. “Did your girlfriend hang that scarf there?” He asks, pointing to the palm tree. “Why did she do that?”

Jonghyun scoffs in amusement. “Key is not my girlfriend. And he’s a man. He’s just my childhood friend.”

He turns to Taemin. “For him… The scarf represents hope… Key hopes that… His fiancé will return soon.”

Taemin fixes his hair and smiles brightly at Jonghyun. “So he wasn’t your girlfriend…”

He laughs in relief. “But you were looking at that scarf intensely. You must also be hoping that her fiancé will return soon, right?”

Jonghyun smiles a little at the thought. “His fiancé is also my childhood friend.”

“Then you guys must be very close, right?” Taemin asks. “Ah, I’m so envious... You guys are like family!”

Jonghyun’s expression turns confused. “Family?” He thinks about it.

“What do you think a family should be like?” Jonghyun asks.

Taemin thinks. “A family…” A thought comes to his mind.

Taemin smirks. “Alright. You shall visit my family today.”

“Your family?” Jonghyun asks.

“Get in the car.” Taemin puts simply.

Jonghyun finally nods and they both get into the car, driving to Taemin’s house.

 

Taemin’s uncle places two glasses of juice on the table and sits down across from Minho.

Minho traces his finger on the rim of the cup. “When you first saw me… You were surprised. You must know that Taemin doesn’t have a cousin, right?”

Taemin’s uncle stares in surprise. “What do you recall?”

Minho smiles in answer.

 



 

Sorry if this chapter was boring or uninteresting >_< My stomach is KILLING ME!

I need some pain killers OTL Anyway I hope you enjoyed and I should really start putting more 2min scenes in… Haha we’ll see. Okay I’m going to go. PEACE~