Hair Makeover

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

"We're really doing this?" Youngjae said.

The genies were starting to think twice about the idea of dyeing their hair.

"Yes, we are. I mean, how bad can it be?" I looked at their faces which still held signs of uncertainty. I sighed. "How about I dye my hair with you guys too? I'm sacrificing! My parents will kill me if they found out I did it."

"Then why are you still doing it?" Jongup asked.

"Because, we only live life once. If I don't do it now, then when?" I said, trying to sound a little dramatic.

Yongguk raised an eyebrow."When you're legally 21?"

"But I can't wait that long. Besides," I paused for awhile."You guys probably won't be here when I'm 21."

This kept them quiet. After a moment of silence, they all finally agreed.

"Pull me in before I change my mind." Himchan said.

I grinned and lead them into the hairdressers'.

"Now, for the choice of hair color." I told them, giving them the book.

"Ooh! I want this!" Zelo pointed at a bubblegum pink.

"Pink? Zelo! You're a boy!" Youngjae exclaimed.

Zelo pouted."So? I like it."

He turned to me."I want to have this color."

I laughed and nodded.

"I'll dye back to my old hair color, black." Himchan said.

"Which one do you think I should take?" Yongguk asked.

I looked at the different shades of color, occasionally staring at him before going back to the colors. I finally pointed to one.

"Purple?" Yongguk looked utterly shocked, but then a satisfied look appeared on his face."Purple it is then."

"Daehyun?" I turned to the quiet guy.

"Hey, you should take this." Youngjae said, pointing to a silver one.

Daehyun made a face and shook his head.

"Hyung, you'll probably look like a grandfather." Zelo laughed.

He shot Zelo a look which kept him quiet. He looked at the different shades and pointed to one which was metallic brown. Jongup chose one which was of hazelnut color.

"And what about you, genius?" I turned to Youngjae.

He shook his head."I think I'll keep it blonde."

"Come on, don't be such a wimp." I teased.

He shook his head."I like this color anyway."

"Don't make me use my wish on you." I threatened.

Youngjae just laughed, going to sit on the sofa."Go ahead then."

I made a face, knowing he knows that I know I won't do it.

"And what will yours be?" Yongguk asked.

"I've always wanted to try orange, so orange it is!" I exclaimed.

Youngjae stared at me incredulously, shaking his head and going back to reading a magazine. I just ignored him and we proceeded into our hair makeover.

I swore somewhere along the way I heard a shot of despair but that was all. An hour later, we were all done.

"Oh god, we're definitely going to be dead meat when Sir sees this," Yongguk said as they all stared at their new hairstyles in the mirror.

I stared back at the reflection of mine, the striking orange standing out so brightly. "Well, my mum is definitely going to call the cops and priest and have me go to counseling."

"Oh, isn't that Kira and her group of friends?" Jongup said.

I eyed the group of pretty girls."How'd you know them?"

Jongup looked at me, blinking twice before replying."Dance class."

I nodded, not knowing why I was so bothered.

"Hey, let's go over there and say hi then." Himchan said.

When we walked over, Jongup gave a small wave to them but all they did was stare and then looked away.

Frowning, Jongup went closer."Kira?"

The said girl looked up."Do I know you?"

Jongup looked at the rest of us and we burst out laughing.

"I guess this idea definitely worked better than we thought." Yongguk said.

***

I suddenly woke up with a start. I reached my hand up, feeling my damp forehead and feeling the palpitating heartbeat.

"It's just a nightmare," I whispered to myself.

To reassure myself, I got out of bed and walked silently to the genies room. Opening their door as silently as possible, I peeped in and saw all of them sleeping comfortably. Smiling, I closed the door.

Their not gone, or at least for now. The dream of them suddenly disappearing has been happening way too often, leaving me a little terrified.

I was about to go back into my room when I noticed the main door to the house was slightly ajar. Curious, I went over and opened it, peeping out into the public hallways. Usually at the end there's always this window with a little seat and tonight, someone was sitting there. It was just a dark shadow, but I knew who it was.

Putting on my slippers, I walked quietly so as not to disturb my neighbors.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Yongguk changed his gaze from the window to me.

"You're still now asleep?" He asked, moving to make space for me to sit.

I sat down next to him and shook my head."Just had a nightmare."

He stared at me a little longer."What nightmare."

"Just about you guys leaving." I shrugged like it was nothing.

Yongguk chucked and shook his head."Someday, but not so soon."

"What if I don't make my last wish. Does that mean you get to stay with me forever?" I asked.

Yongguk looked at me sadly."No, there's a time limit. If we don't finish the wishes, it'll just have to go waster. We can't stay here forever, or at least not with a certain owner."

"Oh." I mumbled, staring out the window. As I saw a car pass by, I remembered something I have wanted to ask."How old are you, Yongguk?"

"If you're saying as human beings, I'm 22," He replied.

"And if I'm not saying human beings?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Then in genie years, I'm already 157 years old." He grinned.

My mouth dropped open."Does that mean Zelo's...older than me."

"Technically speaking, yes."

"Oh. My. God." I shook my head in disbelief."And all this time."

Yongguk laughed and I mentally recorded it in my brain. It's a really unique one, and it's hard for me not to remember. A moment of silence fell over us as we stared out the window into the empty streets.

"Will you miss us when we're gone?" Yongguk asked.

Still looking out the window, I nodded.

"Then will you miss me?"

I laughed."Of course I would."

After several seconds, he continued."I'll miss you too, Haejin."

I turned my gaze from the window to Yongguk and he was staring right down at me. We held the gaze there for awhile, me staring into his dark orbs while he stared back into mine. Even without the moonlight, I saw the usual sparkle in his eyes, and it was only now I realized that he had single eyelids, just like us human. Until I swore I was almost suffocating, I finally looking away. It was then I realized I've been holding my breath. A weird feeling settled in the depth of my heart and I felt a surge of strange feelings inside of me.

I'll miss you too, Haejin

His voice echoed in my mind. Yongguk stood up.

"We should get back. We still have school tomorrow."

I looked at his back as he walked back to the house. When he dissapeared inside, I placed my hand on my chest, the beating of my heart so obvious and strong that I thought it was going to jump out at any moment.

I'll miss you too, Haejin.

I grabbed onto my head, shaking away the thoughts."You're thinking too much. Too much."

I stood up and walked back to my house but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get his words off my mind, not even when I fell asleep, not even in my dreams.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

okay, so i'm not sure if i got the description of their hair color correct because my vocabulary isn't that large when it comes to color recognition so mind my mistakes if there are any!

and like i promise, not a love scene but close to it, haejin is going to finally show some of her feelings. yayay!

oh, and for jelobaby’s question; yes, junhyung's in this story (: i'm not sure when he's coming out though since i've not yet planned it out OTL, but he will so not to worry c: