Slapped

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

The boys came home late and went to sleep immediately. After finishing my homework, I was just going back to my bedroom when I saw a crack in the boy's room and light shone out from it. Curious, I went and peeked in. It was silent, but I couldn't see anything except for the hard wood floor and shelves. I held my breath and pushed open the door. It suddenly made a creak and I paused, and after several seconds of nothing, I continued pushing it until I could see clearly.

The boys were laid out all over the floor. Zelo and Himchan didn't even bathe and Daehyun's body was lying on the floor instead of the mattress. I went over and pulled a blanket over him and the others before I off the lights and walked out.

===

The next day, the boys woke up late as usual and I went out by myself. Myungsoo wasn't there but I saw Byunghun waiting by the gates. When he saw me, he pushed himself off the wall and waved. I smiled and waved back.

"How have you been?" He asked as he engulfed me in a hug.

"Fine. Where have you been?" I asked as we walked into the school.

"Just some matters." He replied simply and I knew not to push him to say more.

We didn't speak much, which was odd as we usually had too much things to say. He sent me to my locker and told me he had to go meet up with his friends. I agreed and he gave me a light kiss on the forehead before hurrying off. Shaking off the uncomfortable feeling, I collected my books and was about to close my locker when someone else shut it for me. The locker closed shut with a loud slam and I jumped back in surprise. I turn to see the school's queenka, Jiyeon, staring down at me with her cat like eyes. It wasn't just the thought of her being the most popular girl in school the most awkward thing. Her being Byunghun's ex-girlfriend is.

I cleared my throat."Is there a problem?"

Her eyes went into slits."Stay away from L.Joe." She warned venom in her voice.

"What?"

"Didn't you hear what I say? Stay away from L.Joe."

"What gives you any right to tell me that?"

I know I made a wrong move. I knew I did a wrong move because the next moment, I was slapped. It hurt even more to know that she actually scratched me with her nails in the process. The stinging sensation only came afterwards and my cheeks felt like it was on fire. I glared at her.

"You should have said that."

"You don't own L.Joe anymore. He isn't yours," I spit.

Her eyes widened in shock of my protest and then it narrowed down again, now the venom ever so poisonous than before. She raised her hands, about to give me another slap to equal the other when. I shut my eyes tightly, anticipating the impact to come but it never did. I opened my eyes and saw Yongguk beside the both of us. Jiyeon's outstretched hand was caught midair in Yongguk's as he held back the attack. Jiyeon glared at Yongguk and jerked her hand away.

"Don't touch me," She hissed.

Personally, I was surprised she didn't go all sweet but I should have known. People should have known. Jiyeon's the ice queen in the group, a but not the full of aegyo and Barbie fakeness type.

"I hope you apologize," Yongguk said, his voice deeper than it should be.

"Make me." Jiyeon challenged back.

I swore Yongguk was going to do something, not hit her but something but I pulled him away before he made permanent damage.

"Don't," I warned, not wanting to cause any trouble.

"Was this because of Byunghun?" He asked.

I looked at him hesitantly but Jiyeon answered the question for him.

"Yes. Please tell you loser of a friend to stay away from that guy."

Yongguk's face hardened but I touched his arm, trying to calm him down.

"It's okay," I whispered although it wasn't.

People have been witnessing what happened, and soon the news will travel to the main guy himself. It won't be good then, it never was.

Yongguk was contemplating but seeing the worry in my eyes, he decided to drop the matter. He grabbed my arm and led me past the crowd which immediately made way. I turned around to look at Jiyeon one last time and it was only now I realized that behind those venomous eyes full of hatred, it held something else. Regret, warning. It was like she was trying to tell me something, hinting me, helping me even but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Before I could, the crowd blocked my staring competition with Jiyeon.

I was dragged, up the stairs and past students until we reached my school's rooftop garden. It wasn't a garden actually. Just a concrete floor with no grasses and a few flowering plants in pots here and there. There were some benches, one of which was facing the edge which overlooked the school compound and Yongguk led me to sit there.

We sat side by side as we stared at the front of the school which was pretty empty except for a few gangsters tolling around.

"So why'd you bring me here?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"I saw her slap you." He replied.

"Yeah."

"Why didn't you do something?"

"What?"

"Slap her back? Kick her? Tell the teacher? Anything."

"I talked back, didn't I?"

"It wasn't enough."

"Then what is enough?"

Yongguk sighed."Was the fight about Byunghun?"

"What do you think?"

"I don't think Byunghun's right for you, Haejin."

I turned to look at him, seeing a serious expression plastered on his face as he stared back at me.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I'm saying he's not right for you. He's going to be a bad influence on you if you don't stop this relationship."

"Bad influence?"

"Don't you see what he's doing?" Yongguk asked.

I turned away from him and shook my head."I know who I want to hand out with. Byunghun's a good guy."

"That's what he wants you to think."

"I know him. He's a good person inside and out."

"Haejin-"

I stood up and faced Yongguk, keeping my face straight."Thank you for your concern but I know what I'm doing. I don't need someone who I've only met to tell me who's good for me or not."

I started walking away, hearing Yongguk calling after me but I a deaf ear. School went on but the mood was gone. I didn't feel good, especially not when the slap got me a terrible headache.

"Hi noona!" Jongup and Zelo greeted me when I walked past them but I just smiled and walked by.

Zelo must have noticed the different aura from me, because during lunch when we were having lunch together, he offered his last cookie to me.

I shook my head and pushed it towards him."It's okay, you have it."

"Are you sure?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Year, I don't have much of an appetite today," I lied, although it was partly true.

Zelo thought about it, shrugged and bit into his cookie, happily munching on it. I tried to avoid any eye contact with Yongguk, afraid of the awkwardness that might follow after that. But fate must be against me at that day, because as I was escaping from school quickly so I won't have to meet anyone, I did and of all the people, it had to be Yongguk.

"Oh. Haejin," He said, not even pretending to look surprise. Did he plan for this to happen?

"Yongguk," I replied, trying to avoid direct eye contact.

"Going home?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Great. Let's go back together," He suggested.

A round of silence took over and for once, I hated why there weren't any cars passing by to send some sound, some dust, make anything happen.

"So, I was planning to get a part time job."

"A part time job?"

"Yeah. Me, Himchan, Youngjae and maybe Daehyun. Do something to get some cash."

"For what?" I asked.

"Because someone's complaining we're taking advantage of her?" He implied, looking at me.

A smile tugged at the corner of my lips."I do not."

"I didn't say it was you," Yongguk said.

I gasped and hit his arm."You tricked me!"

Yongguk laughed and shook his head."You tricked yourself."

I laughed along, feeling the awkwardness disappearing. Yongguk coughed.

"About today..."

I stopped smiling and my body stiffens."Uh-huh?"

"I'm sorry."

I looked at Yongguk who had his head hung low.

"I shouldn't have bugged into your business. It's your life, not mine so I have no right to have a say in anything," He apologized.

I nodded."It's okay."

"You know, it's better if you say it's not and start scolding me."

"Why?"

"Isn't that what you always do? Seeing you so forgiving is scary," He smirked.

I glared at him and lifted my hand to hit his head. He closed his eyes and moved away slightly, but I smiled and pat his head which was a little too tall so in the end, I could only reach his forehead.

"I'm really okay. It wasn't your fault. I know you were only helping me."

Yongguk shrugged and slipped his hands into his pocket.

"And I shouldn't have said those mean things to you. Even if we've only met for a week or so, you're not strangers to me. In fact, I feel like you're my long lost friends!"

"Mmhmm," He mumbled.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," He pursed his lips.

"What? So when I'm feeling okay you're not?"

"Watch out," He muttered.

I frowned."For what?"

But the answer dawned on me when I collided into the lamp post in front of me. I stumbled back in pain, holding on to my throbbing forehead. I heard Yongguk's laughter in the background and seethed. "You!"

"Shoud I get you an ice pack?" He asked, still laughing.

"Prepare one yourself because I swear you will need it when I kick you in the !"

This made him laugh even harder, that is when I really did do it that made the laughter stop.