Birthday blues

Emily

February 3rd. Emily had been dreading this day she lay in bed willing it to just go away. She wasn't going to get out of bed. She didn't want to. She wasn't going to be excited like most other children her age would be. No, she was going to try and go to sleep. Sleep through the whole day, so when she wakes up it'll already be gone. Today was her birthday. Today was the day her parents died.

"Happy birthday Emily." Hana hung down from the top bunk spotting Emily's expression. "Oh." Emily wasn't moving she wasn't in the real world, she didn't know Hana was looking at her. She just stared up at that one spot on the bars of the top bunk. Quietly Hana climbs down from her bed and goes to get her breakfast. 

"Whats wrong Hana?" Eun Ae asks as Hana silently sits down at the table glumly. Mrs Shin and Eun Ae had got up early, they where making Emily a birthday cake. It was her first birthday with them and they wanted it to be special. 

"Emily looks real sad." She sighs. "It's her birthday she's not supposed to be sad."

Mrs Shin suddenly remembers everything and drops the icing bag on the counter in shock.

"What is it?" Asks Mrs Shin putting down his news paper.

"Her parents died on her birthday."

"What do we do? Should we pretend that we don't know?" Eun Ae asks her mother just as a figure apears in the doorway. 

"Emily." Hana says shocked making everyone turn to face the expresionless child. 

"No birthday." Emily looks at each family member in the eyes with a seriousness that one would not often find on a child.

"Why not?" Asks Mr Shin.

"I don't deserve it."

"Why?"

"It was my fault."

"What was?"

"The accident."

"I don't understand Emily. Explain."

"I made Mummy and Daddy go to heaven." By now Emily was crying so much she was hyperventalating. She sunk into the floor and buries her head into her knees.

***Flashback***

Emily was waiting in the car. Her parents had gone into the toy shop to buy her birthday present. Not long after they left they came back out again. Her Mum was holding something behind her back.

"Let me see let me see." yelps Emily bouncing excitedly in her carseat. She reaches to grab her pressent from her mother but whenever she reached out her mum twisted making it so she couldn't get it. "Mummy! Please."

"Okay Okay." She laughs and shows Emily her new bear.

"So kiddo is that like the 100th bear you own?" Jokes her Dad getting in the drivers seat of the car.

"Nope. It's the 50th besides they're not all bears. I have lots of different animals. He just needs a name." She tilt her head to the side looking at the bunddle of fluff. 

"Haven't you run out of names by now?" 

"I don't know. I just need to think."

"Mr Bear?" 

"Already got one called mr bear. Snuggles? George? Daisy?"

"Is it a boy or girl?"

"Um... I think I might make it a boy. I already have lots of girls."

"Well we can think of a name when we get home. This is a big road so daddy needs to concintrate."

"But he needs a name daddy."

"He can wait ten minutes to be named."

"Okay." She kept silent for about five minuets before she couldn't keep it in any longer. She had always been a very talkative child. She found it hard to keep quiet, but she was bright, I supose it would be hard to be silent when you have so many things running through your mind. "How about Philip?"

"Emily. Daddy said you have to be quiet." Her mother scolded her.

"I was."

"Not for very long."

"It felt like forever."

"Just be quiet."

"NO!"

"EMILY SHUT UP!" Her father turned around to shout at her before noticing that a couple of lorries had collided infront of them. They where swiveling about the road, one spooned up the car and flung it into the side of the road. It didn't stop once it was off the road, it hit the brier with such a force that it flung into the air over the barrier and into the steep drop bellow twirling as it went. Emily remembers the screams. She remembers the sirens. She remembers waking up in a hospital alone. She remembers the Doctor telling her that her parents had died. 

***End of Flash back***

Everyone was in shock. They hadn't know that the little girl they where trying to protect had been going about with such a burden on her shoulders. 

"Is that why you don't speak?" Soohyun was the first to recover from what he just heard.

"Mm." Emily nods

"Silly girl." Soohyun walks over to Emily pulling her up and wrapping his arms around her. "It's not your fault. It was no ones fault. If you need to blame someone then blame the lorry drivers that cause the accident, or blame the company that the lorries where delivering for. There is a never ending list of people you COULD blame. But is it really worth it? The accident would have happened even if you didn't talk. You're a smart kid you should know the science of things right?"

"I suppose Oppa." She cuddles into him putting her arms around his neck. She was supprised when Soohyun un wrapped both of them and held her at arms length. 

"I don't ever want you to think that way ever again." 

"Okay."


"You cheered up a bit now?"  Soohyun asks Emily. They where sitting together at his piano as she watched him play. 

"Hmm." 

"Still not talking."

"I am, but it's hard when it's been so long." 

"Ahh I see. How about you sing a song for me instead."

"I don't want to Oppa."

"No fair. I'm always singing for you." He mocked hurt putting his hand on his heart and pretending to cry.

"Okay I will. ... dork." She stuck her toung out at him looking at the sheet music that Soohyun wanted her to sing. 

"Thats no way to treat your Oppa now is it."

"Meh I'm British." 

"Fair enogth."Soohyun laughs starting to play the song.

 

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
 
"Oppa what do you want to be when you grow up?" Emily asks once the song had finished. 
"I don't know yet. I think I would enjoy doing my music, but it's a very difficult profession to get into."
"I think you should try Oppa. Your singing always cheers me up. It reminds me of my Daddy, except he couldn't sing at all."She giggles. It's the first time talking about her parents to someone else, but strangely it wasn't difficult, the memories just kept flowwing out. Maybe it was because of Soohyun."He played the guitar, but he didn't like singing. I had to do something really good before he would. I think your singing would make lots of other people feel happy." 
"You think so?"
"Hmm."
"Then I'll try my hardest."
"Hwighting Oppa."